Why are event items being turned into skins?

What if the devs wanted to release all their planned events first, which contains more lore, items, food and mobs. Then they could start making in-game updates when the Characters return to the Constant and some of the items and foods from those worlds get imported in. 

also remember the events are free and updates take time.(The safe in Gorge is different from icebox re skin.)

48 minutes ago, Flash.Jonathan said:

What if the devs wanted to release all their planned events first, which contains more lore, items, food and mobs. Then they could start making in-game updates when the Characters return to the Constant and some of the items and foods from those worlds get imported in. 

also remember the events are free and updates take time.(The safe in Gorge is different from icebox re skin.)

This. So much of this.

The ending of the Gorge really hints at the fact that the Constant is gonna have some new guests once our motley crew returns "home". I can see two more big events on the horizon and then everything else is up in the air. Charlie? Hopefully for the finale. Freedom? Probably not. New companions, new items, and new adventures? You bet.

On 6/16/2018 at 11:25 PM, Flash.Jonathan said:

I assume these events are going to be annual. I don't work with Klei but I hope that's the case.

On 13/06/2018 at 1:18 PM, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I will never understand this logic.Games of this genre are always open for new expansion. Games like Subnautica, Minecraft, Terraria are always getting new updates. In fact, they DIE IF THEY DON'T. I don't understand why this game can't as well.

One reason is : a game needs new players. Too much addition to the game could easily make new players lost and they stop playing, and it's not good.

It's possible that the difficulty curve in Subnautica, Terraria and Minecraft is different enough so it's easier to add things that will not make new players (and players finding the game already difficult) overwhelmed. At contrary, it's a big risk for Don't Starve in it's current state.

If i remember well Subnautica, the first areas are pretty quiet and let you some time to learn stuff. If you go far away, dangers are more present. In DST, things are a lot more random and some dangers could be right next to you. So what could work in a game doesn't necessarily work in the other.

I'm not saying that DST should never have more content. But it's important to avoid making the game harder and difficult to master for beginner/people finding it already too hard.

Meaning that maybe the game needs deeper changes, to ensure that the first experience will be maybe softer, smoother, and maybe even easier, so it will be easier to add content without loosing big part of the community in the process.

Gorge was a missed opportunity to add warly to the game, since its too related to food, maybe warly was stuck at the gorge dimension and then wilson wendy and wicker found him and when they escape, warly follows them just like mumsy and billy

The developers said that events are their way of testing new stuff b4 they add it in game.

As we could see in the Hamlet's trailer that many creatures had 2 or more attacks. In the Forge monsters had many attacks.

I'm sure that they're also planning to add this type of stuff to dst

1 hour ago, Szczuku said:

As we could see in the Hamlet's trailer that many creatures had 2 or more attacks.

Can you elaborate on this? I just rewatched the E3 Gameplay trailer, and didn't see any mobs doing more than 1 type of attack.

4 hours ago, JellyUltra said:

Can you elaborate on this? I just rewatched the E3 Gameplay trailer, and didn't see any mobs doing more than 1 type of attack.

The scorpion backed off b4 launching at Wilson. Weird Purple bbug also launched at Wilson. Hipopotamoose jumped in the water creating waves. I'm sure that teir attacks are different when they're close to the player. And I hope that there'll be more then just launch/charge attacks

On 19/06/2018 at 9:48 PM, Lumina said:

One reason is : a game needs new players. Too much addition to the game could easily make new players lost and they stop playing, and it's not good.

It's possible that the difficulty curve in Subnautica, Terraria and Minecraft is different enough so it's easier to add things that will not make new players (and players finding the game already difficult) overwhelmed. At contrary, it's a big risk for Don't Starve in it's current state.

If i remember well Subnautica, the first areas are pretty quiet and let you some time to learn stuff. If you go far away, dangers are more present. In DST, things are a lot more random and some dangers could be right next to you. So what could work in a game doesn't necessarily work in the other.

I'm not saying that DST should never have more content. But it's important to avoid making the game harder and difficult to master for beginner/people finding it already too hard.

Meaning that maybe the game needs deeper changes, to ensure that the first experience will be maybe softer, smoother, and maybe even easier, so it will be easier to add content without loosing big part of the community in the process.

One reason is : a game needs new players.

Here is the problem with that rationale...While these events are fun, they don't really bring back players to the normal game, because nothing has changed. So while maybe you risk scaring off new players, you are definitely loosing existing players on the actual servers (which are kinda dead btw). 

This is why Minecraft, Subnautica and Terraria are successful. They consistently update. 

Secondly, I don't see how adding new stuff makes the game harder for new players anyway.

The new stuff for DST, was mostly bosses that were optional to fight (by this I mean, they don't come to your base).

However, adding stuff like new biomes and items...I don't really see the problem there either. Adding a new dangerous biome, wouldn't be anymore dangerous than the current tentacle biome. 

Also, new characters...while there was a theory that Winona was super basic because it was appealing to new players, work as a sorta training wheels character, maybe more challenging characters can be introduced by reintroducing the unlock system.  Maybe through an XP system like we are seeing with the Gorge, or something similar to the way Webber was introduced. 

I know that mods are never the answer...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1416665690

But someone made an awesome mod that brings most of the cosmetics from the Gorge into the core game and I love it.

It's not perfect and the safe isn't a safe that you can lock or anything, it's just a chest, but at least I don't have to use that stupid Ice Box skin.

See, this is what we need. These items are awesome for base building, especially for making little towns. Doesn't need any rebalacing, the files are all there. I just don't get why Klei is so weird about this...

12 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

This is why Minecraft, Subnautica and Terraria are successful. They consistently update. 

Do they, really ? I don't remember having a ton of new stuff to do in Minecraft, i don't remember recent update in Terraria, and i'm not sure updates are planned for Subnautica.

Secondly, I don't see how adding new stuff makes the game harder for new players anyway.

The new stuff for DST, was mostly bosses that were optional to fight (by this I mean, they don't come to your base).

Well, yes, the new stuff was mostly optional, and i'm pretty sure it's because of the reason i mentioned : too many new stuff confuse the new players. So one solution is to make stuff optional, so players have more space for learning, contrary to, for example, a boss that will come in summer, ready or not ready (also, it allows veteran players to fight it when they are ready, too).

However, adding stuff like new biomes and items...I don't really see the problem there either. Adding a new dangerous biome, wouldn't be anymore dangerous than the current tentacle biome. 

Why ? The current tentacle biome is a kind of danger, how can you be sure that another biome can't be more dangerous ?

The problem with adding new stuff is... Well, honestly, the different crafting tab are ok as long as you don't have too many items but become more and more confusing and overwhelming when you have too much. Which is ok when you are a veteran player adding mods because you already know the basic recipe, the important one and where to find them.

But i recently played with some friends, new to the game, and it's not that simple when you don't know where the stuff is, when you spend a lot of time searching in all the tab, and when you don't know what is important for your immediate survival and what could wait. The thing is : if learning is a part of the game, we know that the learning curve is hard at the beginning and become easier later. So adding stuff will only add to the difficulty at first and not really add difficulty for veteran (they will have a little to learn, not a big deal, it will be done quick and they will become bored again).

I know that mods are never the answer...

They can be pretty good answer, but everyone has his taste i guess...

9 hours ago, Lumina said:

Do they, really ? I don't remember having a ton of new stuff to do in Minecraft, i don't remember recent update in Terraria, and i'm not sure updates are planned for Subnautica.

Came out this year...Previous to this, last couple of years they've been adding a LOT of stuff.

image.png.d55da54bffaef21f85c4aaca74e9e1ab.png

And last update for Terraria was 1.3.5, which was April 19th 2017.

Not sure about Subnautica, maybe that isn't the best example because that game has a story and an actual ending (the others and Don't Starve, don't).

9 hours ago, Lumina said:

Why ? The current tentacle biome is a kind of danger, how can you be sure that another biome can't be more dangerous ?

My point was, that the swamp biome is self contained. Meaning you can very much see where the dangers stop (by looking at the Marsh terrain) and a new player can figure that out pretty quickly.

And there's still so much potential. I always wanted a biome that was covered in long grass, where your vision was obscured. And there's something in the grass (kinda like the raptors in Jurassic Park). Or a biome full of toxic gas, that you can only traverse through with a gas mask (although that would be more Shipwrecked fitting).

Point is...There's a lot more than can be done, because right now, there's no sense of exploration with DST like the old days, which is a huge shame.

On 27/06/2018 at 4:18 PM, TheKingofSquirrels said:

They are never the answer. Even though I really like this mod, I'm really worried it's gonna gonna corrupt my world once it gets outdated. 

Ok, if you say so. But i admit i prefer valid reasons and arguments rather than bold text to impose a point of view.
Especially if your fear is outdated mod. This happen very rarely, usually when there are big changes in the core game, and Klei does his best to fix things quickly and if needed help modder to adapt their mods.

So they are pretty much a good answer to a lot of situation and it's a blatant lie to tell they are never the answer. They are never your answer, this is fine, but don't discourage other players because you don't know how things work.

20 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Came out this year...Previous to this, last couple of years they've been adding a LOT of stuff.

It's not the feeling i had when playing with friends, the update weren't that exciting, at the point i barely remember what they added. I guess it's a question of point of view.

Not sure about Subnautica, maybe that isn't the best example because that game has a story and an actual ending (the others and Don't Starve, don't).

Also, the game doesn't have, as far as i know, a lot of randomness (which is good for a lot of thing but not for replayability). At least it was like this last time i played.

Point is...There's a lot more than can be done, because right now, there's no sense of exploration with DST like the old days, which is a huge shame.

I do agree that there is a lot that could be done. But the example you give don't seem to me less dangerous than the swamp : vision obscured, or item needed to don't die, it's not exactly less dangerous.

The thing is : new biomes, more dangerous, can be a thing if you can ensure that new players will not go there unprepared (at least, not more than once) and could clearly see the limit, and don't have to cross the biome to reach important points in the world. Meaning it's a lot of work with the worldgen (and how to manage wilderness mode ?).

Subnautica and Terraria both have a safe start, and if you go far away, things become more dangerous, more strange, You can control the danger by controling how far you'll go for the start. In Don't Starve, it's less the case (except for ruins, mostly). You can find swamp pretty fast or take days to find beefalo.

Different design, that could make it more difficult to add challenging areas.

Another problem is : it's not really possible to add things over time. In some games, you can start with the basic game, and if you want to add challenge, you activate one DLC or another. (Darkest Dungeon is an example). But you can't really do this in DST, especially because biomes will not appear. So you can't really have an option, as a player, to start small, then learn, then add things.

Again, this limits the option, because it will not be a problem to have a lot of things if players could learn at their own pace.

Archived