The Forge Beta - [Now Closed]

JoeW

Anyone found how can we use the Spools? I could craft them from the received event items, but didn't see any interaction to do anything with/from them. It seems to me that under Item Collection or in Curio Cabinet we should click on it to use it, but those don't do anything. Is it a bug, or I just didn't find it?

1 minute ago, fimmatek said:

Anyone found how can we use the Spools? I could craft them from the received event items, but didn't see any interaction to do anything with/from them. It seems to me that under Item Collection or in Curio Cabinet we should click on it to use it, but those don't do anything. Is it a bug, or I just didn't find it?

Skins with the forge icon are craftable with spools.

7 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Skins with the forge icon are craftable with spools.

Thanks, I found it. It seems we have to click on the item we want to craft/weave to actually use the spools. 

Another question, did I see well that we have to ensembe a full set of a character to get the fist shake reward emote? And ensemble means that we simply have to own the whole set, but not have to brake them into the reward, right? Like the sleepy and yawn emote. Connected to that, anyone knows if we'll keep the reward emote if we don't have the full set anymore?

• Developer
8 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

Connected to that, anyone knows if we'll keep the reward emote if we don't have the full set anymore?

As with the other Reward items, it goes away once the ensemble/set is no longer complete. The only difference here is that the fist shake can be gained by having any of the character Forge Sets completed, rather than just one fixed set of items.

From playing a bunch of matches I feel that some characters just don't match up in strength with the rest. 

Especially Webber. He is only able to use darts and have spider minions which die when he dies. 
On the other hand, Willow has her slow Bernie with can be revived and stays alive when you're dead. But she has good damage bonuses.
Abigail's sister stays alive when you're dead to protect the rest of team mates. Her sister is OP and she can use darts and staves like Willow. 

In conclusion, Webber sucks, he's no fun and definitely a no-no due to his lack of perks - useless. 
Wolfgang and the Robot one is alright, basically I think it's just Webber.

It gets quite hard to use your special attack when you can't run fast enough to have enough clearance to cast the spell. Once you get hit by something, it cancels your spell casting, which annoys me to no end. Especially resurrection. Oh my god. It's sooooo slow compared to Wilson, it's excruciating.

It's almost impossible to dodge those metal koopa like monsters - I've tried all sorts of running patterns but it's basically unpredictable.

I think the melee class lacks weapons - early game you get drops for darts, staffs etc - but no melee weapons - only armor. 
I think having more crowd control based items for everyone to use will be great. I'm just typing what comes to mind.

All in all, Forge is awesome fun, I have a good impression of it! Great job!

Spoiler

Ok! Time for some constructive criticism! :wilson_laugh:
I hate the boarillas, one at a time's fine, heck, we can even take on two! But two with a metric butt ton of other mooks? You've gotta be kidding me! 

I also do not like how long it takes to finish off each round...it takes a bit too long and it tends to drag at certain points

(*Cough Cough* Boarilla *Cough*)

And to respond to someone else's comment:

3 minutes ago, Mica said:

It's almost impossible to dodge those metal koopa like monsters - I've tried all sorts of running patterns but it's basically unpredictable.

Run in triangles, they head in the diagonal direction that you just went. So just keep running in the opposite diagonal direction that you previously ran, and you should be fine.

2 minutes ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

Wow, this is amazing... I hope I can keep all the stuff that I unraveled my possessions for. 

You'll be compensated with skins based on play time in the beta but you won't keep your exact skins.

4 hours ago, Silxer said:

By the way guys, the Tradde Inn is closed (for obvious reasons). dtPw5eu.jpg

5966c481a7051_Beefalotraderbreakshift.png.b0f5f237793e06bb6f26becfdccccb74.pngAt least he's courteous.

20 minutes ago, Ashkain said:

Aight but what is the Battlemaster, is he a pig or just straight up a demon. Actually... he reminds me of... OH MY GOD

latest?cb=20130315224544 

Is the forge where Wortox is from? Will we finally be getting him after 10,000 years? Only time will tell

Maybe the Forge is hell? This might be a great introduction for Wortox!:wilson_smile:

Maybe I just don't know how to use him, but I think Maxwell is really underpowered.

He starts off with a petrification book, which at first seemed nice, but considering he has really low health and enemies break free after hitting them once, you really can't get any any damage in until after you get a staff (If you get one). Not only that, but Wickerbottom seems to start with the book as well, and has perks that boost its effects.

Maxwell's perk is his shadow creature attack, which makes him seem kind of like a glass cannon, but you can't ever really process the ability unless you get a staff or try to melee with the book, which is a terrible idea because of his low health and melee attacks with books seem slower than other weapons.

Heck, refine the mode enough? Add more movement and combat options? Boom, you got yourself another whole game! INTRODUCING: DONT STARVE: GAUNTLET! 

I would honestly buy a game like that in a heart beat. A combat arena game where you fight beautifully drawn monsters and unique boss fights like the existing bosses in vanilla DST? Sold. SOLD.

Two comments on the Froge so long, I don't know if these are features or bugs, but: 

1.  We don't see other players' profile in the Forge. We can examine them, but cannot see what they equipped.
  2. The gateway seems to turn uninteractive after the fight begins. Again, I don't know if it is intended or not.

4 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

We don't see other players' profile in the Forge. We can examine them, but cannot see what they equipped

Probably so when you're clickin about on the monsters to attack them, you dont accidentally click on a player and get their passport slapped on your screen. :D 

4 minutes ago, Ashkain said:

Probably so when you're clickin about on the monsters to attack them, you dont accidentally click on a player and get their passport slapped on your screen. :D 

Sorry, but I don't really understand what you say...

I meant that in DST when you click on another player, yours sais their quote and a small window on the right side appeares with the other player's equipped items and skins. This window is missing in the Froge. But as the whole item and skin system is different there, I'm not sure if that is intended or a bug.

Just now, CaptainFun said:

1: If I opt in, will I have to worry about losing my other servers? I've had it happen before.

when you opt in you dont lose your worlds, but many mods crash with forge.

1 minute ago, CaptainFun said:

2: How long does a round of the Forge take?

it depends on how skilled the team is, most of the time 5-10 minutes

2 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

Sorry, but I don't really understand what you say...

I meant that in DST when you click on another player, yours sais their quote and a small window on the right side appeares with the other player's equipped items and skins. This window is missing in the Froge. But as the whole item and skin system is different there, I'm not sure if that is intended or a bug.

Yeah, I'm just saying that they probably hid the window for the Forge mode since It could get in the way if you accidentally click on another player ^^ Since the mode is much more combat focused, it could lead to some annoying moments. However it would be nice if the option to see other peoples load outs was there!

9 minutes ago, Ashkain said:

Yeah, I'm just saying that they probably hid the window for the Forge mode since It could get in the way if you accidentally click on another player ^^ Since the mode is much more combat focused, it could lead to some annoying moments. However it would be nice if the option to see other peoples load outs was there!

Yeah, makes sence... still I don't think it would be the reason, this happenes quite rarely. I don't even use clicking for attacking, only if I want to target the crocos' flags. So it isn't an issue for me, but who know. Maybe a dev will react to that.

6 hours ago, Trenix said:

I've read the announcement and been having my eyes open for this "event" idea since the announcement was posted. However it still makes no sense to me. Whatever you try in this event, if moved to normal servers, you will still risk the chance of breaking the core game regardless. This is why we have beta clients. Also if you guys need further support with funds, do what other free to play game are doing, add loot boxes you can buy to obtain skins. Even PUBG did it which is a B2P game like this game, and it works.

Are you kidding me? I would rather spend the $12.99 for all the skins than to spend $2 a pop for a CHANCE to get them............................

@JoeW Willow's bear has problems aggroing, and sometimes mobs completely ignore him. Also I found the +10% fire damage kind of meh.

Archived