Could modded characters be canon?

Yes, I know this sounds stupid, but let me explain myself. Out of all the characters, only 2 of them (Winona hasn't really done anything yet) really matter lorewise, and the others are just... their for some reason. At this point nobody's expecting a full on 612 page epic on the life story of Wes, so do you think it would hurt to much to just plop in someone else? Just as well as they fir the theme of the game, their name starts with a W, they aren't to crazy OP, and they have no impact on the lore whatsoever, would it be possible? And no, I'm not saying that Walter or Wisteria are gonna pop up in the next trailer or puzzle, but theirs nothing really stopping them from existing.

37 minutes ago, Brumister said:

Yes, I know this sounds stupid, but let me explain myself. Out of all the characters, only 2 of them (Winona hasn't really done anything yet) really matter lorewise, and the others are just... their for some reason. At this point nobody's expecting a full on 612 page epic on the life story of Wes, so do you think it would hurt to much to just plop in someone else? Just as well as they fir the theme of the game, their name starts with a W, they aren't to crazy OP, and they have no impact on the lore whatsoever, would it be possible? And no, I'm not saying that Walter or Wisteria are gonna pop up in the next trailer or puzzle, but theirs nothing really stopping them from existing.

Feels like this game is for "make own story" thing, where comes rollplay and do whatever you want in the world. Although, modded characters can be cannon if you feel like it, tho it won't ruin or change the story due to the whole gameplay is like playing in a multiverse where you can find own copies of yourself, or even other versions of it, so any mods added to the game would will become cannon if you believe, imagination is your tool in this game.

4 hours ago, Brumister said:

you can write your own fan lore, but it will become canon only if klei confirm it

25 minutes ago, EsaiXD said:

i would say they can be cannon  i mean boons are a thing in the world  finding dead bodies with stuff on them but the body is indiscernible.

“Canon” means official or sacred which in this context is either directly supported in-game or from a developer (or other party authorized to speak for the devs).

”Cannon” is a piece of heavy artillery.

What you are describing is absolutely nowhere close to either.

I sincerely hope that if any of you are old enough to drive you have a less “interpretive” view of what stoplights mean.

6 hours ago, Toros said:

I sincerely hope that if any of you are old enough to drive you have a less “interpretive” view of what stoplights mean.

How is this even relevant whatsoever. 

Using a period because it's rhetorical.

7 hours ago, Toros said:

“Canon” means official or sacred which in this context is either directly supported in-game or from a developer (or other party authorized to speak for the devs).

”Cannon” is a piece of heavy artillery.

What you are describing is absolutely nowhere close to either.

what should be canon is a canon within a cannon.  But then again the devs would never allow it.  Thus we can never full fill our cannon needs. However it would be interesting if the stavers carol was something that was canon.  The characters have voices now! But, sadly  the devs also denied that as canon.  Let us go ahead and talk about stuff that is actually canon with in this game, and not just bad mouth some one on the internet that just happened to add an extra n to a word mkay?  As i said earlier The boons can be considered as a mod character if you really want them to be since those have to have been people who entered the don't starve world  but then ended up dying. For all we know the only characters who have survived are the ones we play as currently and who are pivotal to the story.

1 hour ago, Zeklo said:

How is this even relevant whatsoever. 

Using a period because it's rhetorical.

Because canon vs non-canon is as simple a concept as "red means stop, green means go" and there comes a point where I really wonder how people make it through the day without their... creative thinking... becoming a hazard to themselves and others.

40 minutes ago, EsaiXD said:

what should be canon is a canon within a cannon.  But then again the devs would never allow it.  Thus we can never full fill our cannon needs. However it would be interesting if the stavers carol was something that was canon.  The characters have voices now! But, sadly  the devs also denied that as canon.  Let us go ahead and talk about stuff that is actually canon with in this game, and not just bad mouth some one on the internet that just happened to add an extra n to a word mkay?  As i said earlier The boons can be considered as a mod character if you really want them to be since those have to have been people who entered the don't starve world  but then ended up dying. For all we know the only characters who have survived are the ones we play as currently and who are pivotal to the story.

I really don't understand the source of your confusion around canon vs non-canon.  If you considered the boons mod characters you would be making up non-canon story.  In addition, Webber was dead at the start of DS, you unlock him by finding and burying his skull.  As far as the story is concerned the only characters that can be described as "Pivotal" are Maxwell, Charlie, and Wilson.  Maxwell and Charlie largely influence pre-DS comics and puzzles, Charlie is the current ruler in ANR, and Wilson is the canon character to complete adventure mode between DS and ANR.

3 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Maybe the canon from shipwrecked can be a new playable character?:wilson_sneaky:

I know you're making a joke, but it raises a good point about the status of the SW characters, which have been in a very strange place for a long time.  For whatever reason, Klei decided to kind of pretend they (and SW) didn't exist, and all of a sudden have a beta update right when they announced the forge and hamlet.

5 hours ago, Toros said:

I know you're making a joke, but it raises a good point about the status of the SW characters, which have been in a very strange place for a long time.  For whatever reason, Klei decided to kind of pretend they (and SW) didn't exist, and all of a sudden have a beta update right when they announced the forge and hamlet.

Who knows their plans at this point, maybe they're finally going to announce something about Shipwrecked.

Archived