Who is Metheus? (Lore theory)

Spoiler

cough GAME THEORY!

So I got a peek at the fuelweaver's quotes and one of them really stood out to me in the STALKER_ATRIUM_USEGATE table...

"Metheus"

So I got to thinking... Who is Metheus? What is Metheus? etc.
So I hit up Google and found out about Prometheus and Epimetheus which were titans from the greek mythology.

"Epimetheus was one of the Titans, son of Iapetus and Clymene. He was the brother of Prometheus, Atlas and Menoetius. His name is derived from the Greek word meaning 'afterthought', which is the antonym of his brother's name, Prometheus, meaning 'forethought'. In this context, Epimetheus appeared as a foolish character, while Prometheus was the clever one.

Prometheus and Epimetheus were told to distribute characteristics to the newly created animals. Epimetheus started giving a positive trait to every animal, but lacking foresight, he realised that he had distributed all traits without having any left to give to man. So, Prometheus gave mankind the civilizing arts and fire."

So... Wait a second... What's Klei doing messing around with Greek mythology instead of hiding things in Latin translations?? Well... There's an excuse for that! Have you seen Charlie's creations and style? What if the Latin stuff was just because of Maxwell? And now it's all going to be Greek?

Spoiler

Charlie.png

Look how greek-y that looks o_o

So back to the main subject of Prometheus and Epimetheus.... What if Maxwell (in Charlie's mind) represents Epimetheus or the fool? Because back when Maxwell ruled over the island he was mainly adding creatures and structures and items for the creatures and now that Charlie is head of the island the survivors are getting all kinds of civilized stuff! Art, decorations, skins, GATES, etc.

Also, when Maxwell is in the ruins and examining ATRIUM_RUBBLE, LINE_4 and LINE_5 quotes said "I know why you led me back here." and  "But it won't work.". Is Charlie trying to fool Maxwell? Because he is after all, Charlie's Epimetheus is he not?

However, this could be looked at differently! What if Charlie is Pandora? the explorer

"Epimetheus received Pandora as a gift from the gods; a human created by the gods specifically to punish the humans. The marriage of Epimetheus and Pandora is not explicit in any source, but only implied; from their union, Pyrrha, their daughter, was born. Pandora was given a jar which contained all evils of humanity; curious to see what was inside, she opened it and all evils were released into the world. Shocked, she closed it as soon as she could, but only Hope remained trapped inside."

Marriage of Epimetheus and Pandora? We do ship Charlie and Maxwell... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
What if the Atrium gate represents the jar containing all of the evils?

But who knows? Maybe I'm digging WAY too deep into this >~>

32 minutes ago, Fidooop said:

" ... Shocked, she closed it as soon as she could, but only Hope remained trapped inside."

31 minutes ago, Fidooop said:

What if the Atrium gate represents the jar containing all of the evils?

ATRIUM_GATE =
        {
            OFF = "A beacon of hope left unlit... How fitting.",
        },

- Wendy

Unfortunately, it is not very difficult to take two ambiguous fantasy tales and find similarities between them.

If you take a plot that you know things about, and another which you know little about, you will find some similarities if they are in the same genre. You will then take things from the two plots that are similar, and use them to balance eachother and fill in all the blanks in the second plot without there being any real evidence for it.

Villainy, evil, relationships, people. Common themes. There are parallels to be sure, but this is a lot to go off from Metheus alone.

There is no active reason to associate Metheus, a word, with beings that happen to use that word in their names. That is a double jump, Metheus and the word thought are a direct connection supplied by the game, you then jump to it referring to Pro and Epi Metheus even though there is no reference other then the shared name. It is rather vague for the developers to use Metheus, a word on its own, to reference gods which use an elongated phrase containing that word.

This is one long post saying; this theory aligns vaguely with the plot but currently it is a far leap from the single greek word Metheus to making a parallel between Don't Starve and a myth about two gods.

1 minute ago, The Curator said:

This is one long post saying; this theory aligns vaguely with the plot but currently it is a far leap from the single greek word Metheus to making a parallel between Don't Starve and a myth about two gods.

Shhhh...let people enjoy things...

Just now, Chris1488 said:

Shhhh...let people enjoy things...

Metheus could just be a random name the writers came up with, which happens to be the greek word Thought which has no actual application to the story what so ever. And they plan to reference the name again later on in order to actually justify why it is mentioned.

Fresh hot content though, still not enough information to say anything definitive. Is curious though how much content they still need to make to explain the story. It's slowly coming together but, still a lot left vague.

Just now, The Curator said:

Metheus could just be a random name the writers came up with, which happens to be the greek word Thought which has no actual application to the story what so ever. And they plan to reference the name again later on in order to actually justify why it is mentioned.

Fresh hot content though, still not enough information to say anything definitive. Is curious though how much content they still need to make to explain the story. It's slowly coming together but, still a lot left vague.

Yeah, still a lot left vague, that's why people are theorizing. Also, it's pretty funny how the Pandora's Box story and Wendy's Atrium Gate quote connect. It's a pretty cool theory imo. Why would the writers choose the name Metheus without any rhyme or reason to the story? It's gotta mean something.

Just now, Chris1488 said:

It's gotta mean something.

Not really.

Natural human behavior to want to find justification and sense in everything.

But hundreds to thousands of year old cave drawings of humanoids in bubble helmets; may actually just be early neanderthal art. Not necessarily a historical record of extra terrestrial descent. Where the hell else would they put their drawings, yeah just buy some paper at the nearest Walmart.

17 minutes ago, Asparagus said:

Let me just ask if you have seen, participated or experienced Klei's past DS and DST lore challenges/lore hunts?

Yes while researching the backstory, although of all the ones seen they only took place in out-of-game content like trailers. Not the actual game itself though.

8 minutes ago, The Curator said:

Yes while researching the backstory, although of all the ones seen they only took place in out-of-game content like trailers. Not the actual game itself though.

Nope, there was ingame stuff with the Shipwrecked puzzle! :p

Just now, The Curator said:

Metheus could possibly be the name of Their leader. Previously have explained the hints towards the Watcher being Their leader.

It would not be inappropriate for a being centered around psychology and dreams to be called Thought.

Klei is actually good at making puzzles... incorporating Latin in almost everything... why not Greek?

Please see:

http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/William_Carter_Puzzles

http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lost_Fragment

http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Cyclum_Puzzles

11 minutes ago, The Curator said:

Metheus could possibly be the name of Their leader. Previously have explained the hints towards the Watcher being Their leader.

It would not be inappropriate for a being centered around psychology and dreams to be called Thought.

Also the mind-control overlay featuring multiple watchers.

12 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

Also the mind-control overlay featuring multiple watchers.

Which is arguably the highest form of power seen in the game.

Fantasy downplays it a lot, but the ability to override an organisms brain and or functional systems. That is a vastly complex idea.

Which again links back to Their emphasis on minds and dreams.

Gee, Prometheus and Epimetheus were NOT gods...

From a writer's perspective, I doubt Klei would give us a name just like that. Naming is taming, you do not want to make the parasitic archvillain more relatable. This is vastly different from humanoid villains, here, you want doubts. THEY are distinctly bereft of feelings. THEY just watch. I do not believe THEY and the Ancients are one. Topmost, while the style Charlie uses is none of the architectural styles (look at the columns) derived from different Greek periods, the concept of Muses is unique to Greece.

8 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Hmm... I'm kind of hoping that in the lore, focus will be shifted towards Wilson a bit as well. I mean, he is technically the main character here, right?

No... Wes is the main character!

8 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Hmm... I'm kind of hoping that in the lore, focus will be shifted towards Wilson a bit as well. I mean, he is technically the main character here, right?

Wilson wad the main character of the DS game, but since this is dst all the playable characters are the main characters, they are all stuck here, together. 

Archived