You should kill all beefalos?!

Hello.  Some youtuber guy, "a very experienced player", claims you should kill all beefalos on the map very early in the game because they provide nothing useful and, on the other hand, are dangerous while in heat and are overpopulating the world after a while. He says it is common knowledge among the pro players. 

The dude is making a video telling the average joe to kill all beefalos.. .

What does the community thinks?

3 hours ago, csc_unit said:

Hello.  Some youtuber guy, "a very experienced player", claims you should kill all beefalos on the map very early in the game because they provide nothing useful and, on the other hand, are dangerous while in heat and are overpopulating the world after a while. He says it is common knowledge among the pro players. 

I have not enough context does he consider himself a pro player or by your eyes is a pro and I haven't seen this guy's video either

They're not really dangerous in heat as you'll often have more than enough time to react, but they do get unpredictable to kite because of a preference to return to the herd to "mate" so maybe don't do that.

I see it as an attempt to support the idea that you can survive without them, though it does go a bit overboard to make them extinct.

Well, I strongly disagree with this guy in more points. Beefalos do provide useful stuff, more warm clothings and a tamed beefalo can also be handy. They are also not that dangerous in spring, they can be easily avoided, or one can wear a beefalo hat. I have a world with 2000+ days and neither are they overpopulated nor block any important place where I'd go through. So I don't understand how can they be a threat to a pro player. 

With the same arguement one could say that we should destroy all birchnut trees 'cause they don't give anything useful (you can get logs from pines) and when poisioned, they're more dangerous than treeguards but give less useful materials. 

1 hour ago, csc_unit said:

phoenix-wright-objection.jpg

2 hours ago, csc_unit said:

I did see the video yo are talking about... no don't kill the beefalo! I don't think he knows what he is talking about lol

beefalos are not dangerous when they are in heat.. you just need beefalo hat and the problem is solved!

never kill all beefalos :) 

its true tho that they can overpopulate and start lagging the server, then you just kill 2 beefalo groups and the problem should be solved. (with deerclops or beager)

send links of this special player. :>

this guy has no idea of what he talks about or wants to screw over new players. you can use a razor on them wile they sleep and gather beefalo wool to use as fuel instead of logs, make winter hats to stay warm longer and if you manage to kill one that drops a horn you can make a beefalo hat so they won't attack you in heat also in late game you can use run around them so that hounds attack the beefalo instead of you and the hounds get killed. if the heard is big enough they can also protect against frog rain and provide a lot of easy food for spring but be warned if the heard is not big enough they might die so make sure there are other beefalo heard elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, Mikeadatrix said:

Who? I wanna see this.

I'm guessing it this video. Also who has ever been killed by beefalo in heat? They run after you for like 2 seconds...

People telling others what they should and shouldn't do, is getting really old! If you want to kill them all go for it! If you want a wall around your camp go for it! Have fun playing the game.

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

I'm guessing it this video. Also who has ever been killed by beefalo in heat? They run after you for like 2 seconds...

People telling others what they should and shouldn't do, is getting really old! If you want to kill them all go for it! If you want a wall around your camp go for it! Have fun playing the game.

Hide contents

Wow... the guy who posts these videos has made quite a few of these. I am not entirely sure of his intentions, but it seems like he is certainly trying to be manipulative. A lot of his "tips" are almost slanderous in the context of the game.

THINGS I HAVE USED BEEFALO FOR

• Taking care of hounds when they're in heat
  • Absolutely obliterating tier 3 shadow rook (only two died in the fight)
  • Deerclops (they usually lay him out easy)
  • Thousands of morsels from moleworms and meat from bats
  • zillions of christmas goodies during the christmas event (moles and bats again)
  • Bearger (They don't do too well with him because of his groundpound, but they can still do a massive amount of damage)
  • Taming (we have one of each tendency)
  • Getting an inventory full of poop without using any resources up (petals, berries, etc)
  • Beefalo horns so I can go to my tamed beefalos and play "The beefalo sing-a-long song" while my girlfriend giggles a lot

16 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

Hide contents

Farms are especially useful in together seeing as if you have a large base with a lot of players, and if you have a ton of manure/guano/rot (which you usually get in the trucktons if you just spend 1 lonely day getting) you can pump out like a bazillion dragonpies.

tbh i've only used walls like twice so I can see why they'd count as useless

If you're building that close to beefalo, then you're just an idiot. Also, beefalo in heat can easily be avoided by walking, not even with the walking cane, just walking.

Fellas. You don't have to listen to "Professional Don't Starve Players" you can chose not too. Plus, I think a lot of people just make bold claims in DST to make bold claims(and get people's attention), I've heard people say that you shouldn't even build the magic tab stuff or that you shouldn't make tents or crock pots and bla bla this bla bla that, don't use the walking cane, never use the backpack and always use piggyback/krampus sack, yknow. Play the game as you want to, lets try to keep this from undertale's ONLY DO PACIFIST FIRST YOU HAVE TO OR ELSE YOU'RE WRONG AND EVERYONE HATES YOU AND DON'T YOU DARE KILL THE GOAT LADY

5 hours ago, csc_unit said:

TOTALLY disagree: befallos are the best infinite source of fuel (besides all the other useful uses mentioned in this thread) and , if after hundreds of days they are too much, just ring the bell and decimate them, if you're not able to fight them (thing that I find VERY easy btw, but I understand can be tricky for someone)

Somewhat agree yet disagree. Beefalo should be a very low priority when making your base, as everything a Beefalo can do, you can do better. So feel free to kill a ton of them if you want a lot of meat. 

To elaborate, I wouldn't go as far as to kill off all the Beefalo on a map, but to 1) not base near them, 2) keep their population under check by killing a few every once in a while, and 3) to not become dependent on them winning your fights for you. 

Beefalo will always be in the Savanna. The Savanna doesn't really supply anything of essential use to you, and the grass that it does provide can be easily transplanted.

If you want your world to survive into the thousands of days, make sure to cull the population so you don't end up lagging out when the population becomes huge.

You can kill things just as easily as Beefalo can, if not better. For example, you vs. Deerclops, you vs. Tentacles, you vs. anything, really. It's much more efficient to just deal with the issue itself than rather trying to lure Beefalo into attacking it.

Regarding that Youtuber, if it's Edgy Rick, please don't give him any more views. I hate him with a furious passion for his treatment of other people, his condescending tone, and his manipulative ways to get views and influence people.

All this Xenophobia against our Beefalo overlord lately. People should understand that all Beefalo are created equal above humans and that they only listen to the pure Snurtle/Slurtle gods. In all seriousness though he does sound like he is just trying to trick newbs into killing all of their Beefs. Incase this is the truth could be a different play style in an environment with little exposure to other players to experiment and fine efficient and inefficient ways of doing certain thing. Who knows? I am just stupid. I personally find Beefalo late game still useful.

6 hours ago, JimmyJam said:

At least three examples I can think of right off the bat:

--Sips, in his first playthrough (poor Wilson.  Only lasted about 15 days...)

--An only seven-year-old who was SUPER shocked that the beefalo had killed him, had _no_ idea the red butt meant anything, and was like "BUT WHEN CAN I GET MY STUFF?!!!!!!!"  He got better, though.  Although he still picked my beebox's flowers.

...and Dumbarse (not his actual username) of Jerkface and Dumbarse, who both "graced" my server on the same morning.  (I told the story about those two on the "How to be Courteous to Other Players" thread a good while back.)

EDIT: Wait. That's by Edgy Rick? Thank you for telling me so I don't click on it!  I...remember him.  Oh, GOD do I remember him.  On his first thread, he immediately became super-abusive and started POSTING SUICIDE IMAGERY as JOKES I'm _not_ frelling kidding, and saying, "lol", that the person he had a very take-it-to-PM's-already-guys grudge against should do the things in the pictures.  Like, the absolute SECOND he started posting the forums' tone plunged straight into the toilet.  This place is _much_ better than that.  It's why I stay here.

You know what I'm getting the impression this video is?  It's taking the "LOL I'M SO MLG PRO I DON'T _NEED_ THE THINGS YOU _PEASANTS_ USE ALL THE TIME" thing to its illogical conclusion.  And, as I recall, he's also one of those screamingly adamant, _non_ ironic "WOLFGANG MASTER-RACE!! IF YOU DON'T AGREE YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY A (INSERT RACIAL/SEXUAL SLUR HERE)!!!" types.  So, his actual gameplay opinions are biased in the _extreme_--take that into consideration.

If you don't want to rely on the beefalo, then just...don't.  It's that simple!  Just don't pick up their poop, shave them, live close enough to them to lead hounds there conveniently or use them for giant-fighting.  That's all!  And if you feel they're getting too numerous, send the Bearger over there every few years.  It'll be more than enough.  You can do quite a bit of challenge-mode stuff in the game by just _not doing it_--destruction isn't necessary!  Trust me, I've lived a whole year without a science machine and another year as a "hunter-gatherer" (not in the same run). 

In general, treat our friends, the majestic beefalo, with _respect_.  Don't get over-casual OR over-stabby, and they'll serve you well.

...Notorious

This person aint pro, he's more like a filthy killer who goes into your windows at night  and goes on your laptop and finds out it is locked by a password and kills all the Beefalo in your game

So I have one thing to say...

arrest that man!.jpg

Edgy Rick gives us these tips because he is Edgy like his name says. 

Archived