You should kill all beefalos?!

Well I wasn't going to go THAT far!  I'd just be contented with him being banned from this forum.  And, I mean, actually CALLING yourself "Edgy" to show how "edgy" you are?  Edginess is kind of like coolness...if you really ARE that thing, you don't have to say it.  People will just _know_.

ANYway.  'Nuff of that, let's go back to talking about the actual merits of beefalo or alternate strategies.

...Notorious

OH, THAT guy. I've seen him commenting on his own video's that everyone that didn't agree with a little thing in his vids is an idiot. Don't take him seriously. He's not at all 'professional', this game is about preference. If you wanna use beefs to protect yourself, go for it. If you want to kill all but one, you do you. I'd recommend keeping a few around, red booties are nothing to be worried about. 

After watching quite a few of this guy's videos, I've come to the conclusion that he's the kind of person that hosts a public server but instabans you just for joining. Because clearly given most of his advice it's for if you're trying to play DST as singleplayer, and not take into consideration anyone else.

oh sorry i'm late went to bed but yeah most in his comments and myself I disregard this guy.
he gives a lot of odd or just plain bad advice So I wouldn't give him much thought it's not like he reaches many people
most people who play don't starve I feel watch Volx 

I understand that many of you dislike Edgy Rick, but let's not show such hostility. Hating someone doesn't make the person any better, and neither does ignoring the person.If anything, the veteran players that make up this forum should give him feedback so that he may improve his content, as it appears that many of his videos are tutorial-based and directed towards newer to intermediate players who may not be able to critique his content as well due to their lack of experience.

7 minutes ago, KoreanWaffles said:

I understand that many of you dislike Edgy Rick, but let's not show such hostility. Hating someone doesn't make the person any better, and neither does ignoring the person.If anything, the veteran players that make up this forum should give him feedback so that he may improve his content, as it appears that many of his videos are tutorial-based and directed towards newer to intermediate players who may not be able to critique his content as well due to their lack of experience.

This is what another dont starve youtuber said about Edgy Rick:

"He is just trying to stress the things that will help players survive efficiently. Surviving is really the only true goal in the game. The problem is after you have learned to survive, the game has no other goals other than the ones we set for ourselves, whether you want to build a mega base and have everything look the way you want it to look, or whether you want to build everything that you can build just for the heck of it even if it doesn't really make sense to survival. These are not efficient things to do, but it's not trivial and useless if these things make the game fun for you."

I doubt if the channel agrees with the the beefalo killing though, because the creator uses beefalo lol

3 hours ago, KoreanWaffles said:

person any better, and neither does ignoring the person.If anything, the veteran players that make up this forum should give him feedback so that he may improve his content, as it appears that many of his videos are tutorial-based and directed towards newer to intermediate players who may not be able to critique his content as well due to their lack of experience.

That would be done If he doesn't just disreagard every comment that doesn't agree with him. So there is no point
Besides his comment section for most of his videos is him battling with his viewers or critis

Edit:  Replying to Korean Waffles in the beginning here--for some reason, I don't seem to be able to put in a quote as part of an edit. When I STARTED writing my post, their reply _was_ the one right above mine!  : P

As I recall, there _was_ a bit of that in his earlier forum thread(s) here, BEFORE everything went to hell.  Unfortunately he...didn't listen.  At all.

And incidentally it's perfectly possible to play Together in a neo-singleplayer style and NOT be a jerk!  _I_ do that all the time, keeping basics in my inventory at all times so I can make my own fire wherever I happen to when if it gets dark, deal with the temperature on my own, etc. and what does this mean for others?  Usually it means I'm always ready to make someone a logsuit, basic tool, light or meal on a moment's notice!  There's "burn down the whole forest for my charcoal because nobody else matters lol", and then there's "carry lots of resources but be ready to share".  Also, at the beginning at least, if I see, say, two grass tufts (or saplings, berry bushes, etc.) next to each other near the portal I'll pick ONE.  And then keep walking.

His style isn't so much crotchety hermit, as "LOOK HOW AWESOME I AM"/trying to bully others into "agreeing" with him.  Also...even _he_ doesn't seem to believe all the words that come out of his own keyboard!

...Notorious

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Well I wasn't going to go THAT far!  I'd just be contented with him being banned from this forum.  And, I mean, actually CALLING yourself "Edgy" to show how "edgy" you are?  Edginess is kind of like coolness...if you really ARE that thing, you don't have to say it.  People will just _know_.

Y'know it was just a joke? Please don't kill me .-.

49 minutes ago, KoreanWaffles said:

i have actually tried that on some of his videos in the comments section  but they mostly just get disregarded

Killing all beefalos is actually pretty good advice, beefalos aren't pretty useful. Eradicating them not only stops them from pestering you during winter, it also gives you a good immediate supply of wool and meat. Hunting down and killing every single beefalo would be time-consuming, I admit, but it's better than the rubbish "base next to beefalo" strat that every novice player does. Point is beefalos aren't as useful as you think.

My server currently has a 500-day world in which the base was built not far from beefalo. Their manure provided quick and easy fuel for fires and flingos, enabling us to save our wood for construction. Once a noob ran up there and got killed by them, but the two-person basic team has never had any trouble with them, and we were sad when another noob unwittingly led Bearger to the pod near our base and got them all killed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with basing near beefs, as long as it's not too near.

What is this bizarrely obsessive desire some people have to lecture new players on the "right" way to get started? If they base near beefs and get killed on the first day of winter, they will figure it out on their own. If they get too caught up in farms, they will figure that out, too. If building dozens of farms is what they find enjoyable, then more power to them. This is a game, not a religion. 

I think there's too much contradiction in Edgy Ricks arguments. Or anyone who says Beefalo waste valuable early game days whether you are specifically holding off building a base to find them, spend a few days running around to only get pop, etc. Because if they're the same people who tell you to kill them into extinction as soon as possible. Arnt you just wasting the same amount of time killing them, that could be "better" off building a Bee/Flower farm or collecting rare resources?

The point of DST is having multiple people doing roles you normally don't have time to do alone. Some of these "pro" players are giving ridiculously dumb advice to noob players. The only advice i normally give is crockpot recipes so players don't waste food in failed recipes.

I've never ever had a problem with overpopulation, lag, or mating season even in the hundreds of days. Don't get me started "but what about day 1000+"? How about the fact that probably not even 1% of players are going to play past day 1000 because by then the game has already been won and starts losing fun factor for majority of players?

And I hardly would call doing anything in this game a "waste of time" unless of course you're one of those players who sits at camp and literally does nothing but eat, eat, and eat the other players supplies..

8 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

What is this bizarrely obsessive desire some people have to lecture new players on the "right" way to get started? If they base near beefs and get killed on the first day of winter, they will figure it out on their own. If they get too caught up in farms, they will figure that out, too. If building dozens of farms is what they find enjoyable, then more power to them. This is a game, not a religion. 

Let me quote someone else here...

03s2O5v.png

On 3/6/2017 at 4:54 PM, Luckcu13 said:

I think people should play the game the way they want, especially those who know how the game works. So if you love farms and love setting them up early game and playing with your mods, I'll accept that. But when it comes to giving advice to a new player looking for advice or providing feedback to something, one should always give out accurate and optimal information so the discussion or player can move forward in a positive way.

Let's see if I can make one slip past the radar...

I once tried to give him advice on how to make videos. Some suggestions and feedback in a calm manner, y'know?

(I would also like to point out that a there was a YouTube comment that pointed out the hypocrisy in telling others not to change the world settings when he himself proceeded to do so.)

He told us both to go to sleep. Permanently.

Personally, I would say to not take what he says seriously. If he isn't willing to be a kind player to newbies and would rather act with such hostility towards others and the DST community, just ignore him. You're better off not having someone tell you to do such things and trying to talk to him. Believe me, I've tried.

Also, I'm aware of what happened when a similar thread like this was made. It went south fast. @ImDaMisterL.

49 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

My server currently has a 500-day world in which the base was built not far from beefalo. Their manure provided quick and easy fuel for fires and flingos, enabling us to save our wood for construction. Once a noob ran up there and got killed by them, but the two-person basic team has never had any trouble with them, and we were sad when another noob unwittingly led Bearger to the pod near our base and got them all killed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with basing near beefs, as long as it's not too near.

PREACH it!
...oh wait. That has to do with religion, which is the exact _opposite_ of what you just said.  Crud.

(But seriously, unless they're directly playing _in your actual server_ and messing things up...let noobs learn the way they happen to learn, hmm?)

...Notorious

12 hours ago, Weirdobob said:

THINGS I HAVE USED BEEFALO FOR

• Taking care of hounds when they're in heat
  • Absolutely obliterating tier 3 shadow rook (only two died in the fight)
  • Deerclops (they usually lay him out easy)
  • Thousands of morsels from moleworms and meat from bats
  • zillions of christmas goodies during the christmas event (moles and bats again)
  • Bearger (They don't do too well with him because of his groundpound, but they can still do a massive amount of damage)
  • Taming (we have one of each tendency)
  • Getting an inventory full of poop without using any resources up (petals, berries, etc)
  • Beefalo horns so I can go to my tamed beefalos and play "The beefalo sing-a-long song" while my girlfriend giggles a lot

Farms are especially useful in together seeing as if you have a large base with a lot of players, and if you have a ton of manure/guano/rot (which you usually get in the trucktons if you just spend 1 lonely day getting) you can pump out like a bazillion dragonpies.

tbh i've only used walls like twice so I can see why they'd count as useless

If you're building that close to beefalo, then you're just an idiot. Also, beefalo in heat can easily be avoided by walking, not even with the walking cane, just walking.

Fellas. You don't have to listen to "Professional Don't Starve Players" you can chose not too. Plus, I think a lot of people just make bold claims in DST to make bold claims(and get people's attention), I've heard people say that you shouldn't even build the magic tab stuff or that you shouldn't make tents or crock pots and bla bla this bla bla that, don't use the walking cane, never use the backpack and always use piggyback/krampus sack, yknow. Play the game as you want to, lets try to keep this from undertale's ONLY DO PACIFIST FIRST YOU HAVE TO OR ELSE YOU'RE WRONG AND EVERYONE HATES YOU AND DON'T YOU DARE KILL THE GOAT LADY

Well said. The only real negative imperative I can respect at all times is...

DON'T STARVE.

Then let us not discard the basic fact beefalos are superior to any humanoid since they can poop and none of us can, not even Wolfgang with all the food he goes through.

Honestly, people, put your pitchforks away (yes, you can keep torches for Charlie). Cease the witchhunt. I see the images and wording here and cringe. You've got one YouTube user whose advice lacks rudimentary logic, who masks that with poisoning the well upon any attempt to challenge the views. Instead of thinking about him, focus on answering @csc_unit.

Personally, I don't believe in forced extinction of any mob in the game (yes, not even bunnymen whom I hate with pure passion). If you don't use them, don't ruin the game for any theoretical joiner who does. Beefalos per se are not that useful for building bases close to. I, for one, hardly bother building farms. However they breed, providing renewable access to big meat (jerky-in-waiting, hambats, blablabla), much more importantly give you wool (you can shave them at night without bothering to fight them) and horns. I'm a preacher of beefalo hats - they have the highest warmth rate for a head item as far as I know, constituting an excellent solution to wearing something in the body slot while wandering around in winter if you can monitor your sanity without a tam. Yes, you could just make one and keep it sewed with a kit, but sometimes you just forget. If there are no beefalos left to make another, you can't craft a puffy vest or a winter hat either. Monitor the herds and be responsible of the environment you're using.

5 hours ago, KoreanWaffles said:

The thing is, there's so much discussion you can have with someone who doesn't want it in the first place. I commend you for advocating for peace, but when somebody only respects their own beliefs, there's no grounds for a cultural exchange of thoughts at all. I wouldn't bother.

6 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Edginess is kind of like coolness...

Objection. It's nothing to be proud of, believe me.

2 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

Killing all beefalos is actually pretty good advice, beefalos aren't pretty useful. Eradicating them not only stops them from pestering you during winter, it also gives you a good immediate supply of wool and meat. Hunting down and killing every single beefalo would be time-consuming, I admit, but it's better than the rubbish "base next to beefalo" strat that every novice player does. Point is beefalos aren't as useful as you think.

You MONSTER. Who cares about how useful they are. They are fluffy, point. And you don't kill fluffy things.

Why has this thread devolved into talking about Edgy Rick and blindly following every advice or blindly disregarding advice you disagree with. I thought this thread was about beefalos.

All I can say is that you guys should think for yourselves. Don't feel forced follow everything just because a YouTuber says it, and maybe sometimes you should listening to the advice of others because they might have some logical basis and reasoning. Don't go "oh these are just elitists who think they're always right" but also don't go "oh i will blindly agree with everything this guy says".

Again, you are an individual that can think for yourself. It is entirely your decision if you want to listen to what other people say. If someone tells you that beefalos are bad, then who on earth cares? You could still continue using beefalos. Sure, they're objectively correct about beefalos being underwhelming and inadequate, but that doesn't stop you at all from playing how you like. Nobody is stopping you.

Just do whatever.

Archived