Shadow Messages?

Earlier today I read a topic on DST General stuff where a user was trying to find a way to get rid of the sanity noises.

I started to mess around, so maybe I could even help him with a mod, when I came across this.

These are some noise effects played backwards + some tweaks.

English is not my primary language, but I think it says something like "A ?? from me...", "We get the items gifts ?? ?? power ?? (is old/all?)" and "Advert ?? as ?? ??"

Maybe you guys can understand it better.

Sorry if by any chance these are old news, I just thought it was interesting stuff, and the Lore Thread seemed appropriate to post it.

Thanks for reading.

Update:

I think Chirbit caps the audio quality in some ways. Here are the lossless output, for me it works better than Chirbit when listening to. :) )

sanity_sounds.zip

Which file(s) did you find these recordings in, @SrJardel? This is an extraordinary discovery. Why not post it in the DST section?

I listened to each recording and took notes of my suggested transcription, with the parts I'm very sure about marked with bold.

A first [dare] from me.

What bugs me here is that I'm pretty sure about an alveolar plosive after first. At first, I was really struggling. Then I began thinking about a one-syllable word - likely a noun - with an alveolar plosive and that's how I came up with dare (in the noun sense of a challenge). What's best, in some cases, /dɛː/ may be muted at the end.

Actually, the longer I listen to this, the more convinced I am about dare in the middle.

Lore-wise, that would mean one of THEM is preparing a challenge for the transients.

We can wait and gift [give?] them with the power of [something].

There's a lone S before the/them in this sentence. It could imply a plural form, but that part of the recording is seriously damaged.

Lore? THEY are preparing something. THEY feel no passage of time, THEY can wait. The transients do not age either, not physically, so there is much time.

Adventurers! Everyone gather!

Here, we're mostly quite certain. The verb can be discussed, but blessedly English has a very rigid sentence structure. A natural construction would be Everyone assemble, yet gather sounds fine as well.

Topically, that would imply THEIR stronghold is being invaded.

ADVENTURE MODE CONFIRMED?

Nice @Arlesienne !!

The file with the sounds is "Don't Starve Together\data\sound\sanity.fsb" . I used a command-line program called "fsbext" in order to extract the sounds from it. The program is free, though I don't know if it is open source.

The tracks I showed here are "Sanity_6", "Sanity_10"  and "Sanity_12" if I remember correctly.

There were more "speaking stuff", but I was not able to tune it correctly, one of the tracks even seemed to be two audio layers put together, I mean, two people speaking at the same time, so I decided to upload only the ones where it was really possible to (sort of)understand something.

To be honest, I've made it yesterday and it chilled the heck out of me, I could not touch the thing anymore, all I wanted was to talk with the community about it as fast as I could.

I feared it could be old news, and given the number of "Hey look at me! Made you look, it is nothing!" posts, I was not sure if it would fit on DST Thread. But now that we surely have something here, feel free to contact a moderator if you feel like.

I've spent the last hour trying to reply you, but I have problems on my side, tethering is what worked for me right now, but it will not last long. Unfortunately I have little data available to spare on my smartphone, so I will probably stay inactive in the following days.

Anyways, as long as I want to keep it here, so everybody can go into it, if you or any user feels like talking or asking something, feel free to add me on Steam. This way is easier for me to maintain a dynamic conversation, and I also like to talk. :)

Thanks for everyone's feedback, I hope we jump into something even more interesting.

@ImDaMisterL, I have a message from @SrJardel here as he's currently lacking easy access to the Web. TL;DR, the gentleman would like to ask for the thread to be moved to a relevant DST section for discussion. Possibly General Discussions since we don't have Art and Lore like DS does. Here's the message from Steam.

Jarda: Do you mind if I "keep you in charge" of the apropriate location of the topic and future leading etc? As I said, I'm experiencing annoying connection issues at the moment, but I'm very excited with this find as well, I would like to see it going further.
keeper_m: Oh, I don't know how you'd like to do that, but I'd be honoured.
keeper_m: I insist on highlighting you found it though.
keeper_m: I just threw a bit of own analysis in.
Jarda: Just do what you think it should be done, like moving (or ask to) the topic, etc. Given what I use to read in your posts, I'm sure you are qualified to do such :)
Jarda: Some people feels like "You will reach nowhere with this", I remember when they laughed at me and made funny when I thought it could be something on the last Steam Holidays Sale. In the end I was right.
Jarda: But right or wrong, I think that if we can't have fun with an simple assumption about a game's lore, then I would be better dead or isolated in a distant lost island, you know
keeper_m: Sounds very starvish, my good sir/madam :)
Jarda is now Online.
Jarda: :) haha. Sir, btw
keeper_m: A pleasure!
Jarda: Unfortunately I have only a crappy data plan on my smartphone, and it is ending already
Jarda: But in the near future Im sure we will get the chance to

I always felt like the insanity messages in DS, at least, (Which I had to listen to all the time while trying to get past those damn obselisks in King of Winter.) always said, in a very warped voice, "pleasehelppleasehelppleasehelp..." and "trytogotosleeptrytogotosleeptrytogotosleep..." and maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but "sorrysorrysorrysorry..."

Just now, Sinister_Fang said:

Wow... just... wow. This is just an amazing find! Who would have thought that all those noises you hear when you go insane is actually Them speaking.

Actually... When the Insanity update came out a long time ago, I remember going cuckoo the first time and hearing the shadows whisper "Don't go far..."
So maybe, just maybe... They have always talked to us, and we just needed to listen. 

5 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Alrighty! Movededed :)

Thank you very much on @SrJardel's behalf! I bet he will be delighted to see how popular the thread has become!

To all interested parties, I suck at fiddling with audio files, but if you give me an AVI or MP3/MP4, or WAV, OGG, anything, really, I will do my best to analyse it as above.

Ha, I always suspected there were actual words in the insanity ambience, not just random noices!

Although, are they the same as in single-player? If so, maybe they're not the hints at future DST story, but rather just the sound guys spouting some random creepy nonsense?

I too though there might be something behind the insane ambiance , like if you play them in reverse or something , but to tell the truth it was too much of a bother for me to try ... But the sounds are old (or atleast the file they are in is not begin update from a LONG long long time) so it's unlikely for them to be a hint of what's to come . (unless it's a long term plan)

As for it's meaning it could be total non-sense but it could be a hint (or important lore information) . 

Apart from that , great find . The creepiness of this game has aways been one of the things that attracts me to it (and makes the game unique)

I hope they add more creepy stuff (that you can meet more commonly) . 

Archived