Basic questions

Hello everyone, I have some questions I gotta ask about DST specifically, I have for the very first time made a cave base, and it's pretty exciting to be honest I also play solo most of the time so my questions are these:

These questions are based when ONLY 1 PLAYER IN THE WHOLE SERVER:

1: Do bee boxes still develop honey on the surface even if there are 0 players on the overworld?

2: Do flower not wither is they are placed near a cave exit and / or near a cave light? (Hole in the ceiling that gives light and also tells you what time is on the overworld)

3: Will bosses NOT spawn at all if I miss their deadline?

4: Continuation of question 3: What are the days Bearger & Deerclops spawn?

5: I presume Moondial doesn't work in the caves? Which I find really disappointing...

6: Do earthquakes break buildings (I know, this a really shameful question...)

7: Do Pigmen come out of their houses during day while in caves?

8: Can I use multiple (10) salt licks near my cave entrance to keep my Beefalo's domestication level paused and will it consider all the stands as one (by that I mean will it consume all my stands faster or will it have 1200 uses [120 uses per salt lick])?

9: Do stalagmites respawn?

10: Do mushtrees respawn?

11: Where's the best place to make base (any opinions you have).

12: I don't think farms grow at all in caves. Do farms grow in overworld when 0 players are there and only 1 in caves or when I visit the overworld in a few days will it have developed 0% and still be a crop?

Thanks for your time, have a nice day.

2 minutes ago, WishIHadAFridge said:

Huh, I consider myself quite the veteran player, but I don't know the answer to most of these. So much for being that guy that knows a lot of tidbits like these.

I don't think earthquakes destroy structutes. I haven't experienced it, anyway. Not sure if it's the same for walls, though

Walls are considered "live" structures so yeah they take damage.

I don't think that Stalagmite and Mushtree respawn. I'm not sure about the overworld but i think it's "paused" when you are in cave and updated when you go to the surface, i don't know the exact consequencies, but i guess that boss will not spawn if you are not here (or they will spawn and despawn)

Flowers should be able to stay alive if they aren't in the full dark, as far as i remember.

Earthquake should not destroy building.

Best place for a base for me : with green or blue mushroom not too far, with one or more pond, for fishing.

1. Yes, but they are slower.

4. Deerclops night of day 30.

5. It doesn't work for NOW because caves don't have moon phases, the devs said that they will work on this.

8. 1200 uses.

11. I like to make my base near the Pig King and bring beefalos later if needed.

12. They'll grow even in the caves if there's any light (can be even fireflies light).

1. Bee boxes produce 1 per day if not loaded into the game by a nearby player. So, yes it will produce honey but at a slower pace.

2. Flowers under cave lights do not wither.

3. Bosses will not spawn if the deadline is missed.

4. Deerclops from my experience spawns at around day 30-31. Bearger spawns on the first day of the second Autumn. Which is on day 71.

5. Moondial does not work underground.

6. Earthquakes do not affect any structures besides walls.

7. Yes, pigmen come out during the day in caves. It's a good way to roughly tell the time if based far from any cavelights.

8. One salt lick lasts about 15 days. So with 10 it will last about 150 days.

9. Stalagmites do not respawn.

10. Neither do Mushtrees. Apparently they do. Pretty neat!

11. On the surface I personally prefer either the desert or nearby the Mactusk camps. Both have a useful resource that cannot be moved to a more convenient location.

In the caves I like to live right outside of the lichen field. If there is a lone bunnyman setpiece with the cavelight then that's even better.

12. Farms will continue to grow if unloaded.

Farms will actually grow in caves if they are under a cavelight. Even the tiny ones by the lone rabbit hutch setpiece can support about 5 farms.

Light made from the Star Caller's Staff will also support farms but it's quite expensive to upkeep.

@Weird Wanderer @MatheusR31 @mathem99 Mushtrees undergo offspring regrowth like other trees.

34 minutes ago, MatheusR31 said:

5. It doesn't work for NOW because caves don't have moon phases, the devs said that they will work on this.

You're right that it doesn't work, but moon phases are available in the caves, as they get shard-networked like seasons, and other time data.On further investigation, looks like the code for this isn't actually working yet.

The way flower withering works is that when day breaks in the caves, each flower schedules a light check in 5-10 seconds. If it finds a light within 7.5 tiles, and it's not a tiny light (I think it excludes things like thermal stones), then it won't wither. So flowers near cave lights shouldn't wither, I think. Somewhat amusing fact: the function for this is called "DieInDarkness". 

But were you planning to use the flowers for bee boxes in the caves? Because the bees don't come out as far as I know.

5 minutes ago, rezecib said:

Mushtrees undergo offspring regrowth like other trees.

Cool =D

5 minutes ago, rezecib said:

You're right that it doesn't work, but moon phases are available in the caves, as they get shard-networked like seasons, and other time data.

It will work in the future, right? I read somewhere that the cave moon phase stay stuck on a new moon...

So it work but since caves are stuck on a new moon it only show one phase?

12 minutes ago, MatheusR31 said:

It will work in the future, right? I read somewhere that the cave moon phase stay stuck on a new moon...

Hmm, looks like you're right. I guess the code for the networking isn't actually working yet.

On my actual dst world i made my main base on the caves,and i am already day 400 so i hope i can give some good answers to help you.

1. Yes,they still grow honey at a slower speed,but if you are going to make your main base at the caves you will probably just go to the surface once per season to get boss loot like Goose Goose for weather pains to kill toadstool,so for when you do so the honey will probably be ready.(also maybe you can make bee boxes at the cave light and bring butterflies from the surface?I didn't try that yet.

2. I have never seen a withered plant on the caves,maybe its just a bug of my world but on my opinion they don't wither,atleast not on the cave lights.

3. No,the bosses won't spawn if you are on the caves,but for example for deerclops which on normal config will spawn at half the winter,if you get out of the caves at that time it will be able to spawn.

4. Deerclops on day 30 (day 10 of winter more of less) and bearger usually at the first day of autumn,but i have seen it spawn at the third and even fourth day of autumn.

5. Nope,but klei is working on it i think.(anyways you won't need it,full moon won't give light and the chess statues won't work on caves even if it is new moon.

6. They do on normal don't starve but thats been fixed for together,also now no enemies will attack them,not even worms.

7. They do if they are on a cave light,not sure if they do at darkness. another curious thing is that they'll be all day asking for the sun and they won't help you chop trees.basicly its like if it always were dusk,except by the fact that they do come out of the houses.

9. I am not sure,but maybe they do like other resources regenerate. Maybe they could make it so they "grow" faster if its raining which is how they are formed in real life i think,also that process takes tons of years.But hey,a old man tied to a chair said "times works diferent in here" a long time ago.

10. More of the same of the last one.

11. Either near bunnymen village or near a group of rock lobsters,they will both protect you from worms and bunnymen can also be used to get meat befriending one and make them attack each other(just be careful you don't punch one on the face or you pick up meat) also wall the village if you decide to use them for getting food. Also the beardlords can be used for getting beard hair.

12. Farms do grow on caves,atleast they do at the cave lights. And i know that berries,grass and saplings grow when you are gone,unless they were withered which if thats the case they will keep like that for a while when you go to the surface,even if it is winter.

Also i guess you already knew this but stuff won't start smoldering on summer,so you can make tons of drying racks and everything you want as long as it is on a light cave if it is a farm or pig men.

I hope this helps you survive underneath the surface :)

It appears that Deerclops always spawns on day 30 for the first time and at similar times in the winters after that but later on I've seen him spawn at completely random times in winter, sometimes within the first few days. Well if you're playing alone you'll only need one eyeball (or two if you're going for the houndious thingie) so just try to time the first Deerclops right.

31 minutes ago, rezecib said:

But were you planning to use the flowers for bee boxes in the caves? Because the bees don't come out as far as I know.

I also have a cave base in dst with two bee boxes, and bees act the same way as they would on the surface. They collect during the day, stay in their boxin in winter and get agressive during spring. So I guess bee boxes would work in other servers' caves too.

46 minutes ago, rezecib said:

Nope, I'll put it on the overworld, but the fact that they develop honey slower sucks :/

45 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

It appears that Deerclops always spawns on day 30 for the first time and at similar times in the winters after that but later on I've seen him spawn at completely random times in winter, sometimes within the first few days. Well if you're playing alone you'll only need one eyeball (or two if you're going for the houndious thingie) so just try to time the first Deerclops right.

Later spawns should be based on when/if the Bearger died, right? I remember reading somewhere that killing a giant basically starts a spawn cooldown.

12 minutes ago, Pyr0mrcow said:

...also, what are the respawn conditions for mushtrees? Haven't actually seen it.

Well according to the wiki (could be wrong of course) mushtree forests will slowly spread during their blooming seasons and also very slowly respawn in areas where there are no more but used to be for example because of a fire.
http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Regrowth

4 hours ago, mathem99 said:

6: Do earthquakes break buildings (I know, this a really shameful question...)

11: Where's the best place to make base (any opinions you have).

12: I don't think farms grow at all in caves. Do farms grow in overworld when 0 players are there and only 1 in caves or when I visit the overworld in a few days will it have developed 0% and still be a crop?

6: As you learned, they don't. There are some cases where walls are pretty helpful, but using regular walls sucks (they need to be repaired after earthquakes). That's why you should know about skeleton walls - just just need to die repeadetly, making wall from your skeletons, but leave small entrance. As far as I know, the mobs won't try to avoid skeleton walls, so they usually won't escape via exit. It's a great way to keep rock lobsters from spreading and messing your base/eating minerals. You can also keep bunnymen at bay with this method, same goes with spiders or splumonkeys. Building this wall can be painful if playing alone - you need to gather lots of wood and beardhair for effigies or make many live giving amulets, while with second player telltale hearts are great, because you'll need to use only 3 (or 4?) booster shots after whole operation. How to kill yourself? The best ways is to use red caps/monster meat.

11: In DST you can't rely on light flowers - they act really weird. That's why lightshafts are so important. You can find the large ones at the staircases, bunnymen villages and some other places like swampland or spider forest. Spider forest is the best place for camp, I think. It's a forest biome full of spider dens. The whole area is lighten up during day and mostly lighted during dusk, thanks to loads of lightshafts packed together. Usually those bomes are pretty large, like 6-8 screens or more! You just need to get rid of spiders, this is the hardest part. I remember having one with around 20 dens, half of those turned into queens during the process, so I gave up. The best way is to keep that area unloaded to prevent dens' growth. Enter the forest during summer, when the day is really long, so it will be easier to destroy dens and kill spiders.
 Second option is the large, muddy lightflower area that can be found next to the lichen fields (ruins entrance). The light flowers are garbage, but lamps are great when you have so many bulbs around. But lamps are more like endgame items, so it's not that useful info. Of course don't follow those hints blindly, you need to make sure that you have cool stuff around your biome! :)

12: As it has been said, farm plants still grow. The rain does wonders, it really makes them grow faster. Same goes with mushrooms, not only mushroom farms but ground mushrooms aswell!

3 hours ago, rezecib said:

They do come out as long as the beeehive is placed in a natural light area (sunlight, godrays, etc), I had a working 3 beeboxes honey farm in a cave for about 100 days in stricly unprofessional endless.

Everything changed when the griefer nation discovered my base and attacked...

As @Maslak mentioned the mushroom farms, I remembered an advantage they have agains normal farms: they keep growing in the caves even in winter. It becomes quite an easy food source (or for fast sanity/health recovery) if one has a few living logs to spare.

According to the speech files, in winter they become "snowcovered", but luckily there is no snow in the caves... :) 

Actually, these are really _good_ questions!  I've been wondering about a lot of these myself, especially stuff like "Does (blank) happen when no-one's looking?" or "How does stuff re-grow?"  Thanks, everyone who's answered these!  I know I'm not the original asker, but this is all good stuff.

(...although I AM still a little confused as to how the lumpy trees make baby saplings when _they have no pinecones_, a fact that characters sometimes even point out!)

Addendum to the responses you've received for questions 2 & 12:

The Starcaller's Staff will also supply light that will allow you to make farms and keep flowers alive in the darkest areas of the caves with no natural light shining down on it. It will require more upkeep obviously, but if you're up to the task, you can consider other places if this is something you must have in your cave base. Just be careful not to set things on fire with it.

8 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Actually, these are really _good_ questions!  I've been wondering about a lot of these myself, especially stuff like "Does (blank) happen when no-one's looking?" or "How does stuff re-grow?"  Thanks, everyone who's answered these!  I know I'm not the original asker, but this is all good stuff.

(...although I AM still a little confused as to how the lumpy trees make baby saplings when _they have no pinecones_, a fact that characters sometimes even point out!)

Logic wise the lumpy trees are magic. Don't doubt our Lumpy overlords.

Gameplay wise they just summon offsprings when spring comes.

Archived