Is it true that Don't Starve: Ship Wrecked

What? This is BS why would you do that guys this is so disappointing. There is for now not much stuff to make Shipwrecked standalone. This is just unlogical step - just that this is way easier to do as to implement it to DS. PLEASE reconsider this again :(

Yes, I'd wondered if this might be the case.

A huge unforgiving wilderness is a bit different to a chain of tropical islands in terms of playstyle.

Still, since they're mostly the same game I'd expect it's going to be pretty easy to port stuff from one to the other.

I dont know, i dont really get the whole reasoning with the tropical setting wouldnt fit in with the current Dont Starve. The whole point of Dont Starves world is that its a clusterf-ck of different biomes, how exactly is having more tropical biomes different from adding a desert like ROG did, heck before Rog every biome imaginable was already pretty much accounted for except tropical. And what about caves? If were arguing that the new gameplay woudlnt fit, shouldnt they have been a standalone too?

The water in shipwrecked is a whole different than the DS/ROG the reason is in DS/ROG the water is just for decoration you cant interact with it also if they would make it so that its an expansion to the game they could make it like the caves where you find the hole and enter and it generates the caves same way would be you go into the water and click and it generates the tropical islands, probably this couldn't happen and they made it standalone.

The only way I can see it being integrated into the main game with what was shown on this week's stream was if it was a world type toggle. Either you start a world in RoG/Vanilla, or you get sent to a tropical island. The two do not intermingle. 

I would add this other possibility: there could be one or more random boats spawned in the shorelines of the current worlds, interact with them and the game will generate a new map with the Shipwrecked content with the player being transported on the new world, similar to how Sinkholes are integrated in the base game and they generate a new world with different new content in comparison to the surface world. 

This way players could bring stuff back and forth from the tropical worlds, or settle permanent bases there while still having access to the current base game, Caves&Ruins and RoG content at the same time.

There could be a world toggle as mentioned in the quote, for the Shipwrecked content, just like there is a sinkhole toggle at the world creation screen.

I'm thinking twice about buying it now...  :frown:

^ this

Also this went really fast from expansion pack DLC to glorious skin pack DLC :(

I would add this other possibility: there could be one (or more) random boat in the shorelines of the current worlds, interact with it and the game will generate a new map with the Shipwrecked content, similar to how Sinkholes are integrated in the base game and they generate a new world with different new content in comparison to the surface world. 

This way players could bring stuff back and forth from the tropical worlds, or settle permanent bases while still having access to the current base game, Caves&Ruins and RoG content at the same time.

There could be a world toggle as mentioned in the quote, for the Shipwrecked content, just like there is a sinkhole toggle at the world creation screen.

OR change DS water to this new water, bigger map and add monsoon to autumn? From what we saw i see no problem making this actual expansion OR they have lot more (LOT MORE) content that we didn't see yet. But for now 3 biomes and what 1 boss maybe will get boring really fast. Klei could make awesome DLC ROG alone and now they are two studios working on this and can't implement this in original DS on top of ROG? Umposibruuu

^ this

Also this went really fast from expansion pack DLC to glorious skin pack DLC :(

OR change DS water to this new water, bigger map and add monsoon to autumn? From what we saw i see no problem making this actual expansion OR they have lot more (LOT MORE) content that we didn't see yet. But for now 3 biomes and what 1 boss maybe will get boring really fast. Klei could make awesome DLC ROG alone and now they are two studios working on this and can't implement this in original DS on top of ROG? Umposibruuu

Both ways to fix this are pretty good and by my opinion can be done ...  

Also I though this will make me come back to the normal DS (from DST) but if it's a stand alone game the normal DS will still be forgotten and everybody will just play SW and DST 

I'm thinking twice about buying it now...  :frown:

Yeah, me too.

I already have a hart time choosing between DS and DST because of the differences in content

(Oh I can't get the Extra-Adorable Lavae here, oh there are no mandrakes and no sinkholes...)

Now I imagine having to choose between three different games and no matter how I choose, I would be leaving behind half of the content anyway, since a lot of stuff from the base game as well as the stuff from RoG and probably even caves won't be in SW. That will be so frustrating.

Klei will be working on three different games at the same time (only considering DS-things). There would be updates for each, slowing each development down. Just think about how long it takes now to port bugfixes from DST to DS. Also there will be the need for the same mods being transported from one to the others, from DS to DST to DS SW to probably DST SW...

I'm thinking that the stand-alone decision was actually done quite recently, since there was not a single mention of that in the announcements. It seems like a huge turn in strategy, as if they had suddenly realized that the technical challenge would be too big.

Shipwrecked would need so much content to really stand alone and feel like a whole different experience that doesn't just consist of what's missing. So far I got the feeling that it is actually recycling a lot of stuff (monkeys and bananas from the caves, siesta-lean-to and endothermic firepit from RoG,...)

However, the new stuff looks so cool and I really think that the tropical-themed things could have added a lot of new challenge and fun to the original DS world.

But I am not willing to spend money on three different packages of the same content.

As it turns out, I will step back from this one.

As a modder (not a simplex, just a decent modder) I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to make SW a new world type. The game has a DLC system that clearly has been constructed to allow several DLCs with relatively little manual work required. And it's not like the base game and RoG couldn't be updated to interact seamlessly with SW.

Honestly, I think the main reason for this decision was the impact of bamboo, etc. on crafting. Which is ridiclious, since RoG also had impact on crafting and stayed a DLC.

That and the ship mounting mechanics. But then again, Through the Ages also features mounts and is planned as DLC for DST. Surely they wouldn't make a fourth standalone version of Don't Starve.

I conclude: The reason behind this bomb shell is money.

EDIT: jk obviously some core mechanics get reworked entirely, some content like chester gets removed, and more planned content may reshape the face of the umbra even more than we know. Still, RiP hype.

I conclude: The reason behind this bomb shell is money.

EDIT: jk obviously some core mechanics get reworked entirely, some content like chester gets removed, and more planned content may reshape the face of the umbra even more than we know. Still, RiP hype.

SALAUDS ! 

Of course it would be utopian to think that money is a lesser motivation than the player's satisfaction, but as long as it doesn't hurt the player's experience, I'm almost ok with it.

But in this case it totally goes against the player's interest.

I really hope they will listen to the community. 

We are telling them that as a standalone it would hurt our interest and that we rather have it implemented as additional content. 

We're suggesting ideas and ways to fix it (even if it's easier said than done) and not simply flaming them.

I greatly doubt they made it a standalone by personal conviction, so why keep it when there seems to be a consensus about the fact that it is a poor decision ? 

So please please listen to the complaints and suggestions. (or the forum's going to turn full Germinal)

I was, at first, quite disappointed when I heard this news, but after I watched the most recent dev-cast (had to watch it late because time zones) I have my confidence restored. I think that it will still be a great game, and although it would be a lot better if it were integrated, some of the things that they are adding just might not be possible to add. I do hope that at least some of RoG content will carry through, as it would be a waste if it wasn't.

I'm sad that it's not a DLC and can see a few reason why it won't be.

1. Since it was intended to be a standalone game, a lot of content was added (huge comparable to RoG), meaning it will cost a lot more (I would imagine it will be the same price as DS is now - 15.99$, maybe little bit less).
  2. Since it costs a-lot more, it's not reliable to make it a DLC, this would mean that you'd have to pay at least 30$ (not considering sales) to get the Shipwrecked experience, let's not forget that it's an Indie game company and there's no way they can get away with such a highly priced DLC (take a look at the Civ 5 expansions, the default prices are huge). They are going for the bigger fish, a right decision in marketing.
  3. There are 2 companies working on it, there needs to be a good cut for them.
  4. If it was a DLC, the price would have to be reduced, not to appeal to customers, but because a portion of the content already exists, even the same grass/twigs/boulders. No one would want pay twice for that.

I doubt they will do something about making it a DLC, not a different game. But what they can do is make the games compatible so you can enjoy both the original, RoG and Shipwrecked experience, while appealing to everyone. Please Klei!

Hi,

I usually just read the forum (for the puzzle) but this is something I wanna talk about.

I think Klei is great job, really, I love your games and Don't Starve is a masterpiece. And it would be an error to make Shipwrecked a standalone.

I don't know for you, but for me going into the sea must be a real tough challenge, something that you consider twice. A lot of players have mastered their world and want end-game difficulty. Actually once you have enough ressources and your king crown, what are you doing? I think it is the perfect time to sail!

Please listen to us. I think everybody here want your game to be great as much as you.

I saw the stream and it was beautiful.

Sorry for my english and hugs from France.

I dont know, i dont really get the whole reasoning with the tropical setting wouldnt fit in with the current Dont Starve. The whole point of Dont Starves world is that its a clusterf-ck of different biomes, how exactly is having more tropical biomes different from adding a desert like ROG did, heck before Rog every biome imaginable was already pretty much accounted for except tropical. And what about caves? If were arguing that the new gameplay woudlnt fit, shouldnt they have been a standalone too?

I don't disagree with the idea of an integrated Shipwreck setting, but I think the way we play Shipwrecked is going to be a bit different to how we play DS or RoG, considering we'll be spending a lot of time sailing and dealing with setting-specific weather and other underlying concepts.

I would like to see an option to have the systems integrated though, perhaps with world setting options to determine how many and how varied the islands will be.

Archived