Is it true that Don't Starve: Ship Wrecked

So this isn't a DLC at all? Jesus Christ, devs, SERIOUSLY?! How many more Don't Starve games are you gonna make?! DS single player and multiplayer being seperate - fine. But a third game because reasons?! No, just ******* NO! Stop this madness!!!

And there Klei leaves a bunch of people disappointed because it'll be a totally different game and not a DLC. No, forumers; lets MAKE them make it a DLC because my level of rage has reached its peak >:(

I really hope that the standalone thing is a a prank.... But really though, I was super happy and exited about shipwrecked, but when you guys said it is a standalone game, I got really sad and confused, I mean, WHY? That could have been a GREAT add-on to the game, but now if it's on it's own with no contact of the original game, something will be missed, because if this DLC worth something, it is worth because of the mixing of that with the other contact, even with RoG contact... I know it will be harder to develop this that way, but a lot more players will be happy. As all the other guys said here, I really hope you developers will reconsider the whole thing...

So this isn't a DLC at all? Jesus Christ, devs, SERIOUSLY?! How many more Don't Starve games are you gonna make?! DS single player and multiplayer being seperate - fine. But a third game because reasons?! No, just ******* NO! Stop this madness!!!

And there Klei leaves a bunch of people disappointed because it'll be a totally different game and not a DLC. No, forumers; lets MAKE them make it a DLC because my level of rage has reached its peak > :(

Calm down, put your pitchfork down. Check my previous post in this thread about why I think they didn't make it a DLC.

Those who visit the forums are a minority anyways, and you can't force them make it a DLC, propose a solution or a work-around like I did instead.

And there Klei leaves a bunch of people disappointed because it'll be a totally different game and not a DLC. No, forumers; lets MAKE them make it a DLC because my level of rage has reached its peak > :(

Let's make hunger strikes and immolations to make them bend the knee !

No, sadly, I highly doubt they will change anything or care about the complaints, like Cyde042 said big money is at stake and complaints weigh very little in the scale, but it would have been so amazing if they decided to integrate it.

It's over XirmiX. It's over.  *Rambo theme song*

The water in shipwrecked is a whole different than the DS/ROG the reason is in DS/ROG the water is just for decoration you cant interact with it also if they would make it so that its an expansion to the game they could make it like the caves where you find the hole and enter and it generates the caves same way would be you go into the water and click and it generates the tropical islands, probably this couldn't happen and they made it standalone.

That's your explenation? Dude; nobody expected to have Shipwrecked transform their existing DS single player worlds, but just like with RoG you'd need to start a whole new world (no refference intended) and based on what settings you have enabled, you would have the game generated in that way, so for instance:

Vanilla - no content from either DLCs

Vanilla + RoG - RoG content added, so Spring, edited Summer and Autumn seasons, giants, two new biomes, Wetness etc.

Vanilla + Shipwrecked - no giants, only 2 seasons (so the seasonal effects would fit into just the two existing seasons, which are Summer and Winter), tropical + beach biomes added (or any others that are in Shipwrecked), ability to go on the water with boats and such etc.

Vanilla + RoG + Shipwrecked - all the contrnt included, that means all giants, all seasons, all biomes, all mobs, all seasonal effects in accordance to each of the 4 seasons and the ability to go over the water on a boat.

/\ That is how it should've and would be implemented if not for this rubbish announcement about Shipwrecked being a whole different game. I fell like the devs were just too lazy, it's better to release stuff later than to release it in a fprmat different from what you had initially said you'd implement it as.

Hype is down and disappointmenet and rage is up. I was already a little disappointed with the sea art and basically most of the stuff not really capturing original DS art. This really is a whole different game of its own. It's not gonna be the type of game it was before, so I might as well just keep my money and say "**** you" to shipwrecked. I ain't buying it if it's gonna be like this; literally. Because I really like the "survive and thrive" idea better than "get on a boat and go on a treasure hunting adventure". If it's not gonna be just an addition to the game but gonna be something else entirely, just screw it.

Let's make hunger strikes and immolations to make them bend the knee !

No, sadly, I highly doubt they will change anything or care about the complaints, like Cyde042 said big money is at stake and complaints weigh very little in the scale, but it would have been so amazing if they decided to integrate it.

It's over XirmiX. It's over. *Rambo theme song*

It's not over yet if we just don't buy the game and keep posting "Shipwrecked DLC!" all over the place!

It's not over yet if we just don't buy the game and keep posting "Shipwrecked DLC!" all over the place!

What would be nice is that Klei lend a ear to the complaints, try to work it out with the community or at least try to make a compromise, and if it's really not possible to change it, explain why it can't be done otherwise.

Do they still listen to feedback ?  

That's your explenation? Dude; nobody expected to have Shipwrecked transform their existing DS single player worlds, but just like with RoG you'd need to start a whole new world (no refference intended) and based on what settings you have enabled, you would have the game generated in that way, so for instance:

Vanilla - no content from either DLCs

Vanilla + RoG - RoG content added, so Spring, edited Summer and Autumn seasons, giants, two new biomes, Wetness etc.

Vanilla + Shipwrecked - no giants, only 2 seasons (so the seasonal effects would fit into just the two existing seasons, which are Summer and Winter), tropical + beach biomes added (or any others that are in Shipwrecked), ability to go on the water with boats and such etc.

Vanilla + RoG + Shipwrecked - all the contrnt included, that means all giants, all seasons, all biomes, all mobs, all seasonal effects in accordance to each of the 4 seasons and the ability to go over the water on a boat.

/\ That is how it should've and would be implemented if not for this rubbish announcement about Shipwrecked being a whole different game. I fell like the devs were just too lazy, it's better to release stuff later than to release it in a fprmat different from what you had initially said you'd implement it as.

Hype is down and disappointmenet and rage is up. I was already a little disappointed with the sea art and basically most of the stuff not really capturing original DS art. This really is a whole different game of its own. It's not gonna be the type of game it was before, so I might as well just keep my money and say "**** you" to shipwrecked. I ain't buying it if it's gonna be like this; literally. Because I really like the "survive and thrive" idea better than "get on a boat and go on a treasure hunting adventure". If it's not gonna be just an addition to the game but gonna be something else entirely, just screw it.

A little bit aggressive talking at th end, but you are right!

It is not that hard to make it suitable to Vannila and RoG, and we should complain about this. 

Almost all the guys who heard about that standalone option weren't really happy about, almost all of the fans wanted Klei to reconsider this. Well we should continue complain, because we can change it, we just need more people who agree and more reasons.

After all, we suppose to play this game... they won't make a game we don't want. Right?

I just hope that Klei devloperss still listen to their fans like they did before...

This thread suddenly got quite longer because of all the posts by people that joined the forums just to express their disappointment.

I've have been reading here for almost a year now and the announcement of Shipwrecked made me check daily for new information. I was really getting into the hype. So it's actually quite sad to finally speak up because of something so frustrating.

It is not that hard to make it suitable to Vannila and RoG, and we should complain about this. 

Almost all the guys who heard about that standalone option weren't really happy about, almost all of the fans wanted Klei to reconsider this. Well we should continue complain, because we can change it, we just need more people who agree and more reasons.

After all, we suppose to play this game... they won't make a game we don't want. Right?

I just hope that Klei devloperss still listen to their fans like they did before...

Totally agree with you

What would be nice is that Klei lend a ear to the complaints, try to work it out with the community or at least try to make a compromise, and if it's really not possible to change it, explain why it can't be done otherwise.

Do they still listen to feedback ?  

If they had a good reason for making it a whole new game that would make us consider it then they would've said it by now. No reason to defend them if you don't know the reason. It often happens that bad things and bad reasoning is kept a secret so to not enrage the customers/players even more. In this case, all I can see as the reason is laziness; instead of making Shipwrecked compatible with Vanilla and Rog as they said they would, which would mean 2 versions of Shipwrecked, they decided they would take away the effort and would make one version whilst still getting the same amount of money and would probably release the content at an earlier date a bit like promised instead of much later, like a season later as they did with DST, though as I said before, it is better to take the time and make it better and release it good instead of rushing it to release it on the announced date or earlier or something. So really, laziness is the only thing I can see as the reason; they don't want to put in the effort on managing 2 versions of Shipwrecked at the same time, so they decided to make it a whole different game to save the effort whilst getting the same amount of cash as they would if they just implemented it as a DLC. They could have made it compatible with just RoG version, but that would leave people without that DLC unable to buy it, though I am not sure if that is even possible to restrict on steam anyway, so, yeah; laziness.

They will, because Shipwrecked will be a totally new experience and though many of us would like that as an addition, nobody here really want something that has a different genre from the original game. RoG and DST kept the genre, whilst Shipwrecked as a separate game won't do that. I'm okay with going treasure hunting now and then when I have a base and basic resources established, but right off the bat for the rest of the game experience? They're stretching their luck here.

On the rest, totally agree with you, bud.

Klei is awesome studio and i hope they listen to feedback. Also lets wait and hear from them about whole Shipwrecked "DLC" and other information that we don't know yet.

Maybe there are 3 more biomes except these 3 we saw. Maybe there are lot more new enemies and not only skins for existing ones - really most of the new stuff is just other skins - they even dig up monkeys and put them to jungle biome - yes they get another skin but no work here. Maybe we get 3 new bosses. Maybe... but i don't think so.

So for now this looks like water + sailing is main new thing which can be implemented to DS - one big island and other small around with new water - somewhere add beach to existing biomes and somewhere add clifs like we have now - i think not a big problem. Existing seasons + new water system need work and some other stuff too of course but there are two studios working on this

True that they said this will be expansion which "standalone game" is not so i hope they give us good explanation how Shipwrecked can be awesome

Ouch, this is a disappointment for me as well.

3 DS games, with all different content ? I have to choose with what content i want to play ?

For DST I understand, the game is very different in his mechanics so you have to change or add different things to make i balanced and enjoyable.

But 2 different single-player games ? That doesn't feel right at all, I don't want to miss half the content because it has been separated in two different games. The way it is, I don't see myself buying this game, because either one I'm playing I'll still miss the content of the other.

"- Oh right I can't go on the water, and there's no wind, but that seemed so sweet ! I'll start a SW game"

"- Oh there's no seasons here, right, and no giants, and where are my catcoons ? I miss them, I'll continue my save on the other game"

I think I would just end by only half-playing my saves on the two games and lose interest.

If they had a good reason for making it a whole new game that would make us consider it then they would've said it by now. No reason to defend them if you don't know the reason. It often happens that bad things and bad reasoning is kept a secret so to not enrage the customers/players even more. In this case, all I can see as the reason is laziness; instead of making Shipwrecked compatible with Vanilla and Rog as they said they would, which would mean 2 versions of Shipwrecked, they decided they would take away the effort and would make one version whilst still getting the same amount of money and would probably release the content at an earlier date a bit like promised instead of much later, like a season later as they did with DST, though as I said before, it is better to take the time and make it better and release it good instead of rushing it to release it on the announced date or earlier or something. So really, laziness is the only thing I can see as the reason; they don't want to put in the effort on managing 2 versions of Shipwrecked at the same time, so they decided to make it a whole different game to save the effort whilst getting the same amount of cash as they would if they just implemented it as a DLC. They could have made it compatible with just RoG version, but that would leave people without that DLC unable to buy it, though I am not sure if that is even possible to restrict on steam anyway, so, yeah; laziness.

As I said in a previous post I also find that they choose the easy way at our expense, but flaming them would not help to find a compromise.

However, if they decide to turn a deaf ear and completely ignore the complaints and above all the suggestions we made; and release it as if nothing happens with no consideration for our feedback, I would find it very disrespectful towards the community. 

Klei is awesome studio and i hope they listen to feedback. Also lets wait and hear from them about whole Shipwrecked "DLC" and other information that we don't know yet.

Maybe there are 3 more biomes except these 3 we saw. Maybe there are lot more new enemies and not only skins for existing ones - really most of the new stuff is just other skins - they even dig up monkeys and put them to jungle biome - yes they get another skin but no work here. Maybe we get 3 new bosses. Maybe... but i don't think so.

So for now this looks like water + sailing is main new thing which can be implemented to DS - one big island and other small around with new water - somewhere add beach to existing biomes and somewhere add clifs like we have now - i think not a big problem. Existing seasons + new water system need work and some other stuff too of course but there are two studios working on this

True that they said this will be expansion which "standalone game" is not so i hope they give us good explanation how Shipwrecked can be awesome

That's true, there is a lot of stuff that wasn't seen in the demo. The volcano, the characters, new seasons, bosses and a bunch of other stuff.

Ultimately though, that's not really what a lot of people are concerned with. What it seems people are most upset about is not being able to play Shipwrecked from within regular Don't Starve. Many members of the community don't want to see Don't Starve split up so that they have to pick one game or the other.

We have talked about this quite a bit in the past, and we had more information to give you all about how we were planning on tying DS/ROG and SW together even though they were separated, but after going through the feedback, we're not really feeling like our plans meet expectations in a way that we are happy with.

The fact is that Shipwrecked started out before DST and originally was created as a standalone experience, and there are a lot of things to take into consideration if the two games were to be merged together. And the way the shipwrecked islands and Don't Starve interact would have a significant impact in terms of balance on both sides.

That being said, we don't know exactly what we are going to do just yet. We have a long weekend and some meetings to get through and we'll update you guys next week on how we're going to approach this based on your feedback.

Whew. Ok, So. We're sorry that our initial approach disappointed some of you. However, this is part of the process and your feedback, as always is super important to us, and we're going to do everything we can to make Shipwrecked the best experience we can.

That's true, there is a lot of stuff that wasn't seen in the demo.

Ultimately though, that's not really what a lot of people are concerned with. What it seems people are most upset about is not being able to play Shipwrecked from within regular Don't Starve. Many members of the community don't want to see Don't Starve split up so that they have to pick one game or the other.

We have talked about this quite a bit in the past, and we had more information to give you all about how we were planning on tying DS/ROG and SW together even though they were separated, but after going through the feedback, we're not really feeling like our plans meet expectations in a way that we are happy with.

The fact is that Shipwrecked started out before DST and originally was created as a standalone experience, and there are a lot of things to take into consideration if the two games were to be merged together.

That being said, we don't know exactly what we are going to do just yet. We have a long weekend and some meetings to get through and we'll update you guys next week on how we're going to approach this based on your feedback.

So. Sorry that our initial approach disappointed some of you. However, this is part of the process and your feedback, as always is super important to us, and we're going to do everything we can to make Shipwrecked the best experience we can.

Oh man, even if at the end it will be standalone, it is so good to hear that you guys will actully consider this! So thanks! It is great to know that you will consider stuff for the fans of yours, thats why I like Klei, they don't ignore us if we just tell them what we want and give them some good reasons!

That's true, there is a lot of stuff that wasn't seen in the demo.

The fact is that Shipwrecked started out before DST and originally was created as a standalone experience, and there are a lot of things to take into consideration if the two games were to be merged together. And the way the shipwrecked islands and Don't Starve interact would have a significant impact in terms of balance on both sides.

Whew. Ok, So. We're sorry that our initial approach disappointed some of you. However, this is part of the process and your feedback, as always is super important to us, and we're going to do everything we can to make Shipwrecked the best experience we can.

Shipwrecked DLC!

Oh... :D

But do indeed make it a DLC. Since you promised it as a DLC and not a standalone game in the first place, it is better to introduce it as a DLC. Thanks for the consideration, and sorry for the flame, now I see why you wanted it as a standalone game, but still, DLC pls. Even if it takes you forever to do this, many of us would appreciate it if you put in the effort. So keep up the good work and we'll be waiting... for a DLC, not a standalone game.

That's true, there is a lot of stuff that wasn't seen in the demo. The volcano, the characters, new seasons, bosses and a bunch of other stuff.

Alright, always nice to hear a studio taking feedback in consideration.

Although the forum may not be really reflecting the opinion of the entire player base of the game, it seemed like everybody here was concerned by SW being standalone.

I hope a good solution that satisfy everyone will be found !

Tbh, as a DLC for both vanilla DS and RoG version is what would satisfy most people. Since, most of us can agree that it's better for it to add to the original experince and not replace it. So for those who don't have/don't like RoG could still play Vanilla version of Shipwrecked and those who do like and do have RoG could play with both DLCs active. Even as a DLC that would work only for RoG would satisfy more people than it being a standalone game, I bet. Though it does not seem impossible to make two versions of that DLC, so the more compatibility, the better!

Soooo... Hype?

No, Hope, Hype's cousin. :p

At least Klei still talks to people about their plans. We love you Klei.

P.S.: I never said that I was disappointed, I just didn't see the reason for it. I should have thought of SW having started as a crude game modification rather than a proper DLC.

@JoeW thanks a lot for answer and informing us about this "issue"

I am concerned about that standalone part too since i don't want to choose between two same games with small different mechanics and i hope everyone can agree that DS + ROG + SW could be most epic game ever and what we hoped for.

Archived