multiplayer or co-op?

Do you want multiplayer  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want multiplayer

• yes
    • nope.avi

when will multiplayer be added? or co-op?

Edit1:

yes i can under stand multiplayer would just end up with ppl burnning down trees , spawn killing , griefing , stealing.

but co-op would only be 2ppl on a LAN server , most likey friends , who would work as a team.

Edit2:

multiplayer-all-the-games.jpg

Edited by Aaron1818

The Devs have never said they were against multiplayer, it's just that, if I remember correctly, there are two coders and two artists and that's it. Multiplayer would be a HUGE time sink for the Devs, which is why the Devs just want to focus on singleplayer and make it the best it can be.

The Devs have said that they have NO plans for multiplayer where multiple players are in one world at the same time. But they do have long-term plans for some form of asynchronous multiplayer, what this may be no one knows.

So I am against multiplayer for the sole reason that it would take away from the singleplayer and we would end up with mediocre singleplayer and mediocre multiplayer. Man, this must be how Mobius feels.:D

Edited by Toaster Fu

I disagree that Don't Starve needs multiplayer to be a success. There are loads of single player indie game success stories, and even large AAA games can sell very well without a multiplayer component, even though publishers seem determined to shoehorn multiplayer into everything.

While some sort of minimal asynchronous interaction between players could work, any sort of direct co-op/multiplayer would ruin the lonely atmosphere they're trying to convey, require a lot of the game's core to be completely reworked for it to be an enjoyable experience, and increase the game's budget by a considerable amount.

A clear yes for me. The game does not need it but it would be terrific.

The idea to have a stranger/ buddy somewhere on the island with you (that may harm you or be your friend) is just to good to say no to multiplayer.

But I totally agree that the singleplayer must be done first...

I think that you could have one or two friends (or random people) join a server or you host one like terraria and sort of have a survival of the fittest. You could raid camps and kill their beefalo or tear down their crops, but make the pigs have a certain radius where they patrol so they can protect your things. It would be interesting a least. Maybe even kill the other player for some research points like mentioned previously, but only if they are outside a certain distance of their camp so you can't just go into a camp and kill that person. It would be awesome to never know you would run into a person while gathering, and if you want to raid a camp you better make sure they are not home. And for when a person with a camp is offline their camp cannot be touched but the pigs would still come after you.

ok for the ppl that want multiplayer .. comon ppl think about it it would be very easy and the game would end very fast it would be a quick match ... or w8 what about this ideea LEAGUE OF LEGENDS STYLE a quick match no saves and one death no respawn and the monsters come in waves you have to get the resourses quick and survive in diferent spots of the map what ya think ?

Too much coding & testing for co-op to be fun and challenging relative to single player. I would love to see a hardcore "versus" mode though. Higher difficulty (to drastically shorten the number of days survived; perhaps shorter days, maybe longer nights [simplest to recode the time probably?]) while trying to survive the longest.

Eventhough i love the idea of being alone and surviving, co-op is not a bad idea, if implement, i think we should be limited to amount of time u can visit ur friend in a a week, so u still get that being alone feeling, the co-op can be limit to...let say 2 times a week and he/she can only stay for X amount of time (2-3 days and so on).....don't get me wrong, i'm okay with the single player concept....if anything, the map can always be seperated from ur sigle player world...

First of all, I wanna say this game IS AMAZING! I love this kinda survive game so much: settle down my little sweet camp, making pig friends (well don't wanna befriend with them at full moon or after had three monster meats), struggling from hounds, stealing eggs from tallbirds and etc.

I do had a lil problem, which is after playing for 2-3 hours, the game became laggy, and some item description bars froze on the left side of screen after I selected them. My PC should be good enough to play this game. I don't know if it's just me or someone else is also experiencing the same problem. However, after restart the game, everything will be just fine again.

Now, come to my personal thoughts part:

To be honest, I do wish if we gonna add co-op into this game. It doesn't have to be in the story mode, but maybe challenge mode? or even a players vs players mode. Imagine, just imagine, if a group of players can be monsters and hunt others, and the other group have to build a camp or guards to fight for their lives? If they survive enough time then they win. Of course, the abilities of monster group are limited, i.e. they have very low vision and low movement speed at night, they do fair damage to survivors, their health is higher than survivors but some special attack, like fire, poison may deal extra damage to them and etc. However, the monster group could have some special abilities, like they can corrupt an animal for amount of time to scout or help them sneak near survivors......

All in all, it's just my personal thoughts, you don't need to agree with me but please, don't be rude to me or others. It will be really cool if we add some co-op features into this game in the future.

Wish you all have a great day, and thank you for your time reading this.

D

Co-Op has been suggested many times - A lot of people - including me - would probably enjoy it , though the developers don't agree so much , I think I saw something about them that said co-op will probably be one of the last things they work on. But for now - the game would be too easy with co-op implemented - though it would be nice if the game was made more difficult the more people we're in it , but that's a thought for the future.

Yes, many people have asked about multiplayer, however the last comment I saw (which was some time ago) explained that they are not so much against the idea as they do not have the time/resources to do everything. So they have focused on creating a solid singleplayer game.

Everyone is suggesting this, and you can't deny this feature. Multiplayer allows a wide-open friendly, fun environment that all together makes your game way better. You can't survive in the wilderness without your pals! Combine your brains and work together to survive. I know you guys say it's because a specific character is trapped in the wilderness from a crash landing or something like that, but I mean, come on, who cares! Multiplayer is great! It keeps appeal to the game and when you're working together with your friends, it creates a very fun game. While this is kind of like Minecraft, the whole co-op survival thing, let's be honest. Minecraft's survival mode sucks. You find diamond and the game is practically over, you're almost invincible and all you have to do is keep searching for diamond. Yipee... This game has magic, lots of buildings, constant survival, more than mining and killing to do. This game has great potential, which is why it needs to be multiplayer. For example: Terraria is way better than Minecraft because of it's many weapons, many mobs, etc.

OPEN THIS GAME TO MULTIPLAYER!

Sincerely,

One of the 500 people that want multiplayer.

Oh my god. It is not so easy, you know? Devs are currently working on SINGLEplayer - its not even finished yet and it will take quite a while actually! However, even if devs spend unholy ammount of time and work into it - it will still ruin the specific feel that this game gives you.

I will tell you the truth - I want multiplayer same as everyone, but we have to face reality.

Oh my god. It is not so easy, you know? Devs are currently working on SINGLEplayer - its not even finished yet and it will take quite a while actually! However, even if devs spend unholy ammount of time and work into it - it will still ruin the specific feel that this game gives you.

I will tell you the truth - I want multiplayer same as everyone, but we have to face reality.

Of course! I don't want Multiplayer now, I'm not trying to rush into multiplayer. I'm just saying, it needs to become multiplayer after the game is finished and MAYBE if they get more employees, if they would consider that.

I think we have to have a multiplayer, myself have suggested, but something like:

1-4 Players, at most! because 2 is already too much power = P and play with friends and talz of steam, or always play with friends, not open to the public knows? each has its own server to play with a friend.

In RPG Maker is easy to make an online game with Netplay. - Jokes aside!