multiplayer or co-op?

Do you want multiplayer  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want multiplayer

• yes
    • nope.avi

Guest Dandytard

*Note: I know there's alot of people asking for multiplayer, I just want to give my opinion*

Hello there. I registered so I can give my opinions and ideas for the game, And I hope that you lot will give it a serious thought about it. Well, Multiplayer. Many people say no, That it'll ruin the game. Tell me, What will a person do after they've achieved the maximum from the game? All the researched things? The way you can make the game interesting is with CONSTANT updates per week, adding new stuff. But you CAN'T do that forever, I'd say, right? Then you should add a coop experience to the game. There isn't a whole lot to tweak, for two persons to be in the same world. After all, Most of the basic stuff is present(The way a character reacts to the world and likewise). My opinion is that there's plentiful of people who'd love to play this marvelously made game with a friend, cousin, or a brother. I know that it might be hard since I've heard there's about 4 persons or such as developers here, But you have to think like a player. 'Why would I play this after I gather most of resources or get bored?'. Either you'll have to do non-stop updates, coming up with new stuff, And I'm sure things will get in the way to stop you in doing so. A multiplayer experience, Hm, Should be a coop survival, Simple as that. Connected via direct ip or such, keep it simple, two players. (I'm not saying you should add multiplayer right NOW, I'm thinking you should add it before releasing the official game) So, No 'modes', Deathmatch or such. It is up to the people to tailor the way they'll play. Now, People are talking about 'griefing, burning trees' and such. This is why I strictly said 2 players only, via a direct ip. ( At least until you can figure out how the multiplayer would work). This would ensure that two persons who know each other would like to play together. I don't mean to be rude, insistent, or a smart-alec who's sitting here, expecting you to do as I please since I don't have to do anything nor even know how to. Still, If you wish to expand the life limit of this wonderful game, I think you should consider multiplayer option.

Multi-player, if it is ever added, should look like Terraria's. Small groups of people, who likely know one another, working together to survive in the wilds. Given that the team is small I wouldn't want it rushed out. However, at some point when the single player is looking pretty polished I would be in support of being able to play with a few of my friends.

Before I get all the heat comments saying co-op is not happening what if there was say a kickstarter for co-op? How much would be needed for co-op out of curiosity? Not sure how rewards would work I suppose if they can it would be like making an item to the game like Guardian Angel necklace that generates light and lets you run around at night but takes the next three nights to recharge. I suppose that might be a bit op though Anyway thought that might be a somewhat possible idea for co-op interested on other suggestions.

I don't mean to be like offensive or pretend I am the definitive factor here or anything but the main reason that I've seen to not make multiplayer is that is wouldn't be profitable. I know 7 people that would buy this game if it were multiplayer and play the **** out of it together. I'm not the only one either, throughout indie game history it has been remarkable just how much multiplayer impacts the popularity and retail of a game. I don't get it. This would have so much more hype if the devs even like put out a request for another programmer if they really needed one for the multiplayer programming. I'd do it, I have the know-how and I have developed multiplayer for other games before, as long as you don't support the servers and require the game to be LAN (aka: Hamachi) then the programming for it is significantly less difficult.

I beg the people of this game, please reconsider.

I think it's a business problem, sure it could be profitable but, it might very well not. For a small company like Klei I would think it would be quite a risky thing to do for just a little bit more cash. And it would also take away from the singleplayer, which would then lead to upset people who only play singleplayer and don't really care for multiplayer.

Though the game seems to be selling quite well, being number two on steam just a couple days ago, so who knows? Maybe in the future it will become a possibility.

I'm sure they understand the implications of multiplayer just as well as you or I do. Video games are, after all, their business. From what I see, they're focusing on getting a game out that is complete and working before they go and try something that would require a rewrite of nearly the entire game. And anyway, giving a previously single player game multiplayer capabilities isn't easy. They can't just snap their fingers and multiplayer all over the code. It's something this company has never done before and has no experience in. I'd much prefer they create and finish the wonderful single player experience that is Don't Starve before they go through the learning experience of multiplayer.

However, given the addition of sandbox elements, I can see an online Don't Starve being very profitable and popular.

Guest Dandytard

Oh my god :o I have never seen an idea about Multiplayer being added to the game on this forum. You sir did quite a good job in greating a topic to cover this idea with full detail, And you deserve to have the golden crown of justice. I hope more great ideas come from your behalf, sir.

Oh my god :o I have never seen an idea about Multiplayer being added to the game on this forum. You sir did quite a good job in greating a topic to cover this idea with full detail, And you deserve to have the golden crown of justice. I hope more great ideas come from your behalf, sir.

Let's remain civilized, shall we? I don't like merging 3 new multiplayer threads per day either, but there's no need to be hard on unknowing new members.

Multiplayer

Need I say more?

Perhaps upto 4 player LAN, so we can play some coop with our friends. Being equally challenging as Other people can help get resources easier, but food is split between...

I think this feature would be a great thing to add in the future.

I'd like the idea of having the same maps and items as single player, just multiple people on their own connections or servers, doing whatever they chose. If you make the multiplayer the same as the single player, people will make up their own games and challenges. I do think it should be way down the line though, the devs have enough to do, and as a art/animation major, i can tell you that no project is ever done, you just realize that what else you would add to it really wouldn't help it all that much.

Very rough suggetion, but I think it would be cool if this game was somehow a online multiplayer/CO-OP, almost like a zombie resistance game! New game modes and strategies or even specialized items would make this game even better!!!8-)

If this game were to have co-op or multiplayer, it should work like this: PVP is always on. Night and day cycle for both players, can only be 3 players at a time. no server browser, you have to invite from steam. they join, and you both have fun.