Your Dont Starve Together Hot Takes

1. I hate that all the Wurt skins make her not look like a Merm. Instead she looks like some other kind of monster in almost every one. Kills the immersion for me. I always have to go default skin so I can feel like I'm one of the tribe. Hopefully her survivor skin leaves her looking like a merm.

2. There are too many ways and it's too easy to resurrect yourself in DST now, there aren't even penalties anymore. Very casualized to say the least.

3. I also don't like that you can switch characters mid-game.

4. Wilson's beard is my favorite thing about him. It really immerses me into the survival setting.

5. I love the skill trees but the skills should take longer to unlock (150 days is nothing in this game) and you shouldn't be able to carry them over to new games. They should reset at 0 for every game.

6. A lot of the skins these days feel too fancy and flowery. They all look like they've been trying to make them take up as much space as possible. I imagine this is so that the people who buy them can stand out and feel special. I just want more regular skins with cool themes like the Survivor skins.

• Like 1
  • Health 1
  • Spooky 1

At the moment, the main thing I want in the "don't make the game harder" category is to change the ridonkulous way you have to get the sawhorse blueprint, and if you've been reading my recentish posts, you know why

Spoiler

The desire to build cute furniture is usually a peaceful-player type thing, why do we have to learn combat JUST to do...THAT?!
--This is like having to go all Indiana Jones just to get to buy a kit at Ikea
--What do the sea and the ruins have to do with building a table, etc.

All the dumb jokes and comparisons, I've made them all. There was also something in there about "they tried to make two great tastes that tasted great together, but didn't tell each other WHICH things they were making, so we ended up with a slice of delicious pie on top of a plate of delicious spaghetti." (Apologies if spaghetti-pie is a fave quirky recipe of yours (and why does that kinda make me think of Undertale...?))

...but most of the harder stuff, the stuff who I am SO out of the loop I don't even know the NAME of and have to quietly sneak off to the wiki to look it up to even figure out: what does word mean?, I don't actually care about, because it IS so out of my usual play range that I dun care, go ahead and have that be hard to do.

But I've also always kinda agreed on the blow-dart thing. I've always felt it's so disappointing that it's just a DART. _One_. Can't we ever make a blow GUN, that's reuseable, and make multiple darts as ammo to shoot with it? The gun doesn't have to last forever. It's made out of reeds, after all. Maybe it could last as long as a rabbit-trap.

Anyway, I'm way too uninformed the current state of DST to have many hot takes. Blow darts, Furniture Quest 2023 needs to go the way of the original Clean Sweeper recipe (and I highly thought it WOULD, and am surprised so many people seem to be okay with the current method!), and since we do have Warly in DST, I kinda also want Walani. With the way the DST boats work, her tiny-but-agile surfboard could be an interesting one-person alternative way of crossing the seas. Just, not very reliable in the DEEP ocean, maybe.

That's what I got. (shrug)

...Notorious

Spoiler

Don't @ me about the stupid sawhorse blueprint thing. I'm already aware that I'm in the minority. This continues to baffle me, but arguments about "it SHOULD be lategame" won't convince me, a non-combat player, to whom it would be NEVERgame, because I'm just not doing that (beep) for the ability to make cute decorations. Also, not every time I open up a new world. I MIGHT be _grudgingly_ "willing" to do it ONCE to open up furniture possibilities forever, but no...

--"This way noobs won't use up all your resources on stupid decorations at the beginning!" they already do--walls, wardrobes, signs, etc. Try again, that's also not a valid argument as it turns out. Why can't we have this changed the way the Clean Sweeper recipe was? To me it seems a VERY similar situation!
Mind you, I would've been find with the Clean Sweeper still being _somewhat_ more expensive than it is now: maybe involve dark petals, a rope, a feather or two... And that's the amount of difficulty I'm asking the Sawhorse Blueprint get-method be turned down to: Something that takes time, gathering, crafting...but not "go to these dangerous places because I say so". Or at LEAST make up a _lore_ reason why you have to go to the sea and the ruins!

*I* can use a mod that allows you to build similar-ish things ("Furniture Megapack Mod" for those curious, I tried it recently and it didn't _seem_ to crash my game after the update), or use a cheat code...but those are both only available to PC players. Console players are still outta luck.

• Like 4
  • Big Ups 1

Just now, Szczuku said:

They use arguments like 'why should the entire community have to deal with changes made for people like you' but like... the same can be said for our side of the coin. Why should we deal with neutered challenges cuz you don't want to put any effort into the game.

I can’t recall anyone using that argument, unless you mean when people say that the game is already hard enough for beginners which I see as a valid take, but unless you don’t mean that idk what you’re talking about. Also what neutralized challenges are you talking about exactly?

For me it’s that I don’t see many good suggestions that add good difficulty, nor do I see any good reasons as why the game has gotten easier. In my genuine opinion ds and dst are similar in difficulty (if not dst being harder).

Just now, Szczuku said:

Also. It'd literally take two weeks, a month, tops, for people to get used to the changes. Klei could add a 20 day cooldown for the celestial portal right now and after throwing your temper tantrum you'd be already used to it

Doesn’t this also counter your argument? If you’re gonna get used to it in a bit, then it’s no longer gonna be difficult for you, and it’ll just be a cycle. It doesn’t seem like dst has gotten easier it feels like you’ve just gotten used to the game and can’t catch the feeling you had when you were a beginner. No matter what Klei adds you’ll eventually get used to it and go back to wanting more difficulty.

also side note what would the celestial portal nerf you mentioned really achieve? People will still swap characters just slower. Doing that isn’t gonna magically make people play warly and Winona more, it’ll just make them stuck playing that character until they can switch back to the character they’ll usually play. In the grand scheme of things you’ve achieved basically nothing. You said it yourself “you’d already be used to it” because this would again achieve literally nothing.

Edited by Dextops
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Dextops said:

I can’t recall anyone using that argument, unless you mean when people say that the game is already hard enough for beginners which I see as a valid take, but unless you don’t mean that idk what you’re talking about. Also what neutralized challenges are you talking about exactly?

For me it’s that I don’t see many good suggestions that add good difficulty, nor do I see any good reasons as why the game has gotten easier. In my genuine opinion ds and dst are similar in difficulty (if not dst being harder).

Doesn’t this also counter your argument? If you’re gonna get used to it in a bit, then it’s no longer gonna be difficult for you, and it’ll just be a cycle. It doesn’t seem like dst has gotten easier it feels like you’ve just gotten used to the game and can’t catch the feeling you had when you were a beginner. No matter what Klei adds you’ll eventually get used to it and go back to wanting more difficulty.

also side note what would the celestial portal nerf you mentioned really achieve? People will still swap characters just slower. Doing that isn’t gonna magically make people play warly and Winona more, it’ll just make them stuck playing that character until they can switch back to the character they’ll usually play. In the grand scheme of things you’ve achieved basically nothing. You said it yourself “you’d already be used to it” because this would again achieve literally nothing.

please do not judge others hot takes, i know this may come of as rude and your opinions are also valid but i would like this topic to be a place with no judgement from/to anybody

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Health 1

I hate how some skins are at complete odds with their characters.

Like, Victorian's got funeral Wendy, beggar Willow, miser Maxwell, all great reinterpretations that could practically replace the default. Meanwhile there's Verdant with fairy Wendy, dirt WX, weird leaf-caped Max... basically the complete opposite of their defining characteristics. WX-78 will be ranting about putting death to all natural life all while looking like a beta test Wormwood, I just don't get it.

• Like 2
  • Potato Cup 1
  • Spooky 1

44 minutes ago, Comonavi said:

I hate how some skins are at complete odds with their characters.

Like, Victorian's got funeral Wendy, beggar Willow, miser Maxwell, all great reinterpretations that could practically replace the default. Meanwhile there's Verdant with fairy Wendy, dirt WX, weird leaf-caped Max... basically the complete opposite of their defining characteristics. WX-78 will be ranting about putting death to all natural life all while looking like a beta test Wormwood, I just don't get it.

Interesting... I think as long as those types of skins are rare (1 or 2 per character) they work really well, untriumphant Maxwell being one pretty significant example. On the other hand, when the whole "odds with their character" thing is overused, like Webber, it becomes a real issue (seriously, why is like 1/2 of his skins just I'm MEAN spider now).

Verdant Wx while a plant, also still looks like an overgrown clay golem, which frankly looks more menacing then any of his other skins. Gives real old cyberman vibes which I like. It's a rare chance for WX-78 to break out of the uniform nature of his design that comes from being a robot and it performs that job admirably.

Wendy on the other hand is a really nice change of pace to all her other skins. While the core of her character is still a grieving child, she's still just that: a child. Part of the reason I love her character so much is that the rare quotes where she gets to be happy, like the midsummer cawnival, hit so much harder than any other character. The verdant is that concept embodied in skins, showing that as much as she tries to bury it, Wendy is still a child. The bright colourful skin, the wonder in her eyes in the portrait,  it embodies a rarely seen but present aspect of Wendy.

Aside from that, it also gives an opportunity for people who don't vibe with the original design to find one they enjoyed. I'm really not a big fan of Woody's gruff, overgrown look, but his guest of honour skin looks really nice IMO.

Edited by WenericMember
  • Like 4
  • Sanity 1

I don't mind Wolfgang, and by extension his skill tree, being simple. While there is a time and a place for me to use my brain meats to their fullest capacity to optimize the living hell out of the game, other times I just want to play the game without needing to do that. His gimmick is easy to manage but also will punish you if you attempt to disregard it. It's not something like Wanda's time loss or Warly's Food Memory where you need to remember every single thing and think ahead to counter them, but it's enough to make you actively engage with the Wolfgang's beneifits without them being actually free. While the benefits are good, they aren't reshaping how you think about the game or removing entire gimmicks. Double Damage is a heafty upside, but it doesn't make it so that you gain access to new strats or stuff, it just means you have to use less resources. All in all, he's a fine character. I've been playing him for 300 odd days in my recent way to get his insight up and I've been having fun playing as him, because he's simple. I firmly believe that making him so simple is good for the game as it allows both for players that aren't super deep into the mechanics into the game to have a simpular character to manage, while also not being memed on as the character also provides a decent enough skill ceiling, but it also helps raise up those more complex characters like Maxwell and Wx. If everyone was equally complex, the game would be harder to get into as there wouldn't be some base for new players and players who want to put their mind to rest because there is no "lightweight" character. So while some may call him boring, I say that's perfectly alright.

• Like 1

Skill trees are an incredibly good idea and are exactly what this game needs to make its characters more interesting, and the execution of that idea has been excellent so far (save for small odd choices like Woodie's quick picker stuff).

Wilson getting a skill tree as his "rework" and then it becoming clear that everyone's getting skill trees is just natural because Wilson has always been the basic character, and the fact that he has some moderately useful unique skills should be more than enough to keep Wilson-lovers happy since it makes him more unique than he's ever been without making him too much less basic.

The reason Maxwell is overpowered isn't because of any part of his kit, it's because he has everything he has and he makes Wickerbottom into a swap character when she's one of the strongest characters by herself. Her update actually buffed Maxwell as much as it buffed her just because he now doesn't even need her to replace books after using them up since the bookcase fixes them over time.

WX-78's character refresh is the epitome of missed potential because of how it encourages you to just pick a few circuits and stick to them. This results in almost everyone just running speed boosts all the time since they can't situationally switch to different ones without waiting over a day to recharge. WX-78 should either recharge faster or be able to eat electrical doodads to recharge, or both. Also, the electrification circuit should take up six slots (like the basic speed circuit) and give electric damage to WX-78's attacks rather than zapping enemies who hit the robot.

Wanda isn't overpowered, full stop. Her slower attack speed makes up for her high damage.

Klei should run one or two dedicated servers per region that have rifts enabled in the settings so that people without friends can experience them in a true multiplayer setting.

Toadstool is a fine boss mechanically, it just needs to have less HP or substantially better loot to be worth fighting. The funny fungus lights are barely even worth considering these days.

Fuelweaver is an agonizing resource sink with too few players and a trivial joke with too many, and I've never seen a good middle-ground between those. Cheesing him is the correct way to fight him solo. He should scale the frequency of his invincibility and healing phases with the number of players, making it way less awful to fight him solo and way less trivial to fight him with a full squad.

Bee Queen is another painful resource sink if you don't have the right characters (Wendy, Wickerbottom, Webber, etc) who have their own unique ways of making her an easy boss, and she could probably use a redesign. About the only character who has a fun and difficult fight against Bee Queen is Maxwell.

Ice-cold take that everyone agrees with: Crab King needs a complete overhaul like AG got, one focused on making him actually fun, because he currently isn't. 

• Like 5

Klei should bring back Wolfgang's planar boosting skill applying to the brightshade staff. Did it make sense? No, not particularly. Was it somewhat broken? Admittedly, yes. Was it the only damn part of his skill tree that was actually fun? Absolutely. That thing was an absolute beast if you specced for it. 35x7 damage per cast, going up to a whopping 58x7 damage against shadow-aligned enemies with your own lunar alignment.

11 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

Twins of Terror are the worst designed boss in the game, even below crab king, but for some reason people see nothing wrong with the fact that the only tolerable way to fight a duo boss is to separate them because they don't interact with each other and they give virtually no openings for attacking if you fight them together while also spawning minions at a faster rate than a default damage character can eliminate them

Thank you! Finally someone says it!

Though honestly? I question if you can even call them "badly designed" in the first place given that they clearly wheren't designed at all. They're just two eyes of terror with double the health and damage. They still spawn minions, they're still limited to being fought at night despite having 4x the effective HP, they don't have the laser or cursed flame attacks that they're known for in terraria, and they didn't even spell Retinazer's name right. I genuinely don't think that any thought was put into the actual design of the twins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The A New Reign era had some of the best art in the cinematics DST's ever had and I wish they'd go back to drawing them like that.* We may never again see a Fuelweaver who looks as cool and menacing as he does in the ANR trailer.

*Unless it takes ten times as long to make a trailer in that style, I guess.

• Like 7

I don't know if it's on topic since the title says DST, but whatever. Don't Starve Alone, the base game, should be free. I've played it recently, and it t lacks so much of what we're used to. It's so old and lame compared to what we got now. It needs the RoG DLC to live up to the good things people say about the game.

• Like 1

This isn’t technically a hot tame sense I put a lot of thought into it I think Webber should lose sanity when in a  certain  range of befriended spiders dying I could go in to further detail but I don’t feel like it so if you’re questioning about a certain part I’ll answer it but I’m to tired to try to remember every detail right now

oh and I think moon and shadow stuff should be more reflective sense as far as I can tell there sapposed to be mirrors of each other 

14 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:
16 hours ago, maradyne said:

Ripping more things from Hamlet and Shipwrecked wouldn't be the end of the world.

...I TOTALLY haven't played an entire special-challenge run with Walani, in DST. Nope. No sir.

dstcivday204updatedstarvania.png.e3b3ff1941b35dd652f1f611313fca6f.png

Why do you have a kidney meter?

7 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

(and I highly thought it WOULD, and am surprised so many people seem to be okay with the current method!),

They don't want new players to have fun decorating or having fun with vases, that is why. It should just be soldnat pearl for bottles.

Crockpots and crockpot foods are overrated, simply eating cooked meat/monster meat, raw berries and lichen, using healing salves for bosses and sleeping to heal non-boss combat damage is more time efficient.

Edited by Gashzer
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Brago-sama said:

There are too many skins you can straight up buy now. I liked it better when i was gawked at for having something they didnt (I am not a psyco)

Yeah i miss bein part of the bottomless firepit beta club

• Sad Dupe 1

I’m just going to say it, I finally killed the Crab King (1000 million tries later & more bee mines than I care to count..) This one fight is so annoying that it “almost” makes me want to quit DST. And that’s sad too.. because it’s Always been my favorite game to play. But lately I’ve been pretty busy trying to meet Battlepass Deadlines in games I paid money to buy into the Battlepasses for and plain & simply: Don’t have a ton of time to dedicate to doing one boss fight in DST.

I did not find sailing around in circles as a ton of bees destroyed this thing to be fun or engaging gameplay, it WAS satisfying watching it finally die after 1000 million attempts But it’s not a fight I want to actively repeat often.

This doesn’t just apply to Crab King though.. after fighting Dragon Fly 3 or 4 times I’ve had my feel for that fight too- and then I come to the painful realization that DST is geared towards having a group fight these bosses, but they COULD be fun if they were also do-able solo without spending 30 minutes to an hour sailing around crab king in a circle.

That’s my DST Hot Take, I hate the bosses.. I mean really really hate them, to the point that their entire existence almost makes me want to give up on DST altogether.

I bought that brand new sonic superstars game last week- And while the boss fights can be annoying, they’re also still do-able and won’t take forever tackling multiplayer raid bosses alone.

Other then that.. and as controversial as “skins” are: I really enjoy the character/belonging skins in this game so I can make my characters, Beefalos, crockpots, etc all look pretty with a ton of cosmetic choices.

I wish single player DS could use DST skin cosmetics.. I’d probably stop playing DST altogether if the single player game (with content designed and intended for a lone player to tackle..) got these skins!

My hot take with skins however is they’ve stollen the spotlight from survival content, in fact I’d go so far as to say that if we COULDNT design our bases with a ton of purchasable skin cosmetics, that DST would have less regard for us or our bases.

Solo DS didn’t care about your base, and I miss the floods, tornadoes, heavy winds, etc and other general havoc that the game brought about to you & your world.

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

if we COULDNT design our bases with a ton of purchasable skin cosmetics, that DST would have less regard for us or our bases.

Hamlet has the most decoration options inthe entire franchise, but there's also Aporkalypse, where the Ancient Herald just pop up out of nowhere, even if you're hiding in slanty shanty (then destroy it with explosion). Decoration isn't  stopping Klei from adding destructive features.

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1