Your Dont Starve Together Hot Takes

8 hours ago, Evelo said:

I don't understand why Wagstaff and Alter are on the "same team" when Wagstaff is using Alter's Powers unlike Charlie who is more teaming up with The Shadow Them, unless I am misunderstanding I am so confused by that.

wagstaff isnt in the same team than alter the same way charlie isnt in Fw's team. When you help wagstaff or charlie killing the bosses they reward you with a perk

you choose between wagstaff alliance or charlie alliance

edit: except, iirc, for wormwood which he gets the power from being exposed to the mysterious energy (the perk's description explains it)

Edited by arubaro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, arubaro said:

wagstaff isnt in the same team than alter the same way charlie isnt in Fw's team. When you help wagstaff or charlie killing the bosses they reward you with a perk

you choose between wagstaff alliance or charlie alliance

Oh. Guess that makes sense though idk why Wormwood would side with Wagstaff and not Alter. After all he is forced into lunar alignment. Which is just that, lunar alignment, not Wagstaff alignment. Maybe it is just a weird terminology thing or I am over analyzing (definitely that).

Just now, Evelo said:

Oh. Guess that makes sense though idk why Wormwood would side with Wagstaff and not Alter. After all he is forced into lunar alignment. Which is just that, lunar alignment, not Wagstaff alignment. Maybe it is just a weird terminology thing or I am over analyzing (definitely that).

i edited my comment

basically wormwood doesnt side with neither, he just gets "overflow" with lunar energy when fights CC or something like that. I dont remember quite well what the perks say but is explained in his skill tree

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arubaro said:

i edited my comment

basically wormwood doesnt side with neither, he just gets "overflow" with lunar energy when fights CC or something like that. I dont remember quite well what the perks say but is explained in his skill tree

Ah thank you. I'll have to re-read everything. It's been a while since I played, busy with other games n such. Ty ty. :love_heart:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Evelo said:

Ah thank you. I'll have to re-read everything. It's been a while since I played, busy with other games n such. Ty ty. :love_heart:

they are correct, the description is

"Tap into your lunar roots"

rather than

"the cryptic founder will reward your..."

That said I am still curious about the discussion of how much power the moon still has, as Wagstaff... does not appear to be in controller of what comes from the rifts. At all.

The moon also still appears pretty sentient, and wagstaff only took energy from the guardian, rather than the source.

• Like 1

- Wanda's second chance clock should be less free than just a "cooldown".
- The game's robes/clothes are completely forgotten in favor of backpacks/armor/mag and I wish it were different.
- There should be a cooldown of at least 70 days per player on the celestial portal. At least for people to play the 4 seasons with the chosen character.
- Maxwell should stop reading all of Wicker's books. She's almost in a category of "swap character" these days, along with Winona and Warly — where those who play them really like the character, but other players only play for a few minutes and then just abuse their advantages.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WenericMember said:

they are correct, the description is

"Tap into your lunar roots"

rather than

"the cryptic founder will reward your..."

That said I am still curious about the discussion of how much power the moon still has, as Wagstaff... does not appear to be in controller of what comes from the rifts. At all.

The moon also still appears pretty sentient, and wagstaff only took energy from the guardian, rather than the source.

plus what are those rifts because since the beginning we knew that shadows came from other plane that leak into the constant throw fissures in the caves and is why the ancients needed a gateway to milk that juicy shadow energy and to contact the shadow eye

but moon rifts? they seems a portal to a moon dimension but alter was already in the constant. Makes little sense

skill trees points shouldnt be unlock forever. You should gain the experience per world by surviving less days than the current version and doing certain tasks like defeating X boss for a specific perk (like how CC and FW unlocks perks) or cooking Y dish as warly to get a perk, idk something more interactive and in a way that can help new players to try new stuff outside of their confort zone or knowledge 

Also makes 0 sense that you can start a world with shadow immunity in wereforms with woodie because in some world you killed fw... that paths should be unlocked in every world

this would make the trees more interesting, the trees easier to balance, wont make the game super easy in early by having all the perks unlocked by day1 and maybe people would stop crying about the celestial portal since you will need to survive as a character to get certain crafts and perks

right now they can be fun but are a waste of potential and way to make early game trivial while the late game challenges added dont seem to compensate for the moment (suface cave inns inst challenging and acid rain is beyond nerfed even with higher damage setting...)

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Evelo said:

I don't understand why Wagstaff and Alter are on the "same team" when Wagstaff is using Alter's Powers unlike Charlie who is more teaming up with The Shadow Them, unless I am misunderstanding I am so confused by that.

Charlie and Metheus now have pretty a similar situation with Wagstaff, that is they all don't have a deep relation with Them, just simply want to utilize them.

Without Metheus' power, Charlie will definitely be killed by Ancient Fuelweaver soon after being dragged into the Constant. And without Charlie's body, Metheus will also fade away and can't last long. That is to say, the Shadow Queen is the combination of a dying shadow creature (Metheus) and a weak weak human who's about to die (Charlie).

The reason why Charlie and Maxy straightly went into the Atrium remains unknown, probably part of Metheus' secret plan. However her carefully prepared plan fell into bankruptcy in just about 10 seconds when the Shadow Eye Thingy didn't even give a look at her before it left.

The Shadow Queen's power is limited and maybe not as strong as imagined. She "thinks" she is the one who plays the chess, however when compared to Them she is nothing but a chess piece.

Wagstaff, in the recent trailer, can go outside of the Constant freely in a blink of an eye. His full power is still unknown, and currently he already surpasses all of the survivors. Imo he himself is indeed capable of granting all survivors an alignment skill.

CC is only something like Alter's white blood cell, and moon cycle is the result of its menstruation. While Wagstaff doesn't seem to team up with Alter, Charlie instead has something to do with it. Activating the Ancient Gateway gives Charlie "moon power", too. She used this power from survivors going through Forge and Gorge shards to offer to Alter, this had caused Alter's power increasing and then Moon Island's appearance in the Hub. 

The ultimate purpose of Charlie&Metheus and Wagstaff still remains a mystery. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, arubaro said:

plus what are those rifts because since the beginning we knew that shadows came from other plane that leak into the constant throw fissures in the caves and is why the ancients needed a gateway to milk that juicy shadow energy and to contact the shadow eye

but moon rifts? they seems a portal to a moon dimension but alter was already in the constant. Makes little sense

The Constant isn't just the DST world. The DST main world is called "the Hub", it's in the center of the Constant, where Ancient Gateway and Nightmare Throne are located in. Surrounding the Hub are smaller planes like Forge, Gorge, Hamlet and Seawrecked. These different worlds (or shards, planes, dimensions) together forms the Constant. 

The shadow realm, moon realm, demons' realm, there's no prove that they are independent dimensions currently. We know very little about these. 

Ancient Fuelweaver said that this world is unraveling. It is probably because that opening trans-dimension gates will damage "the world's fabric". Currently these can be confirmed as trans-dimension gates: Ancient Gateway, Teleportato, portals Wagstaff built in the trailers. This explains why rifts from other dimensions start appearing in the Hub. 

About Ancient Gateway, it can be known that when activating a trans-dimension gate, energy will generate out of thin air, both lunar and shadow. Charlie&Metheus led the survivors to the gateway, to collect the energy generated by survivors going through the gateway. The Ancients (Ruins era) seems only utilizing the matters emerging from the gateway (fuel and probably thulecite), and the gateway is probably built by the Ancients from Archive era.

hot take: don't starve together was never an indie game, klei employed 30~ people around the time the game was released (and twice as many were credited to have worked on the game on release), klei also had published several other games (both self-published and through other publishers) before DST; IMO it's far closer to being an AA game than an indie

Edited by Guille6785
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sanity 1

On 10/29/2023 at 2:27 AM, Arcwell said:

Meatballs aren't worth it (unless you're Warly).

I agree with this to an extent

If you have a farm plot then yes, just eat most vegetables raw/cooked. Honey farm too.

If you have a kelp farm and get meat from various sources, then meatballs are great.

My hot take: People would be okay with Wanda if she was a swap character. Imagine if she could make stationary TP points usable by everyone, then all she'd have is the glass cannon trait, a cheap-ish resurrection and a dodge.

Except for those who complaint about character switching... But that's an easy fix all they want is a cooldown or a price nerf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sanitar said:

The ROT updates were mostly bad. Only Forgotten Knowledge, Reap What You Sow, Eye of the Storm were good, and everything else is either bad or about nothing. I hate the update that added the crab king and the hermit

coldest take ever that pretty much everyone on this forum seems to share

• Like 2

Rain Coat > Eyebrella.

As long as I have chester, I never feel the need to wear a backpack during normal gameplay; so my body slot is usually free. Only exception is when I want to gather large quantities of a certain material, which isn't too often. Eyebrella + Backpack leaves you vulnerable to attacks, so you have to put on armor when initiating fights. You can either replace your eyebrella and get wet, or take off your backpack and have to retrieve it later. It's all rather inconvenient. Meanwhile, a Rain Coat leaves your head slot open to easy swapping between head armor, Tam o' Shanter, Miner Hat, Enlightened Crown, etc.

Feel free to judge, there's no point in posting an opinion of other people aren't allowed to discuss it.

Edited by Q42
  • Like 4

The ROT updates were mostly bad. Only Forgotten Knowledge, Reap What You Sow, Eye of the Storm were good, and everything else is either bad or about nothing. I hate the update that added the crab king and the hermit

Unique!

Edited by RatSkinner
Meant to qoute

IMO, Wagstaff is not in control at all over the rifts- he's trying to create a portal using the captured celestial energy, but his repeated failures are just leading to Alter's increased influence. Charlie also doesn't seem to be intentionally creating the rifts either.

Wagstaff specifically though, as you said, the celestial champion is STRONG, but it's nowhere near all of what the moon is capable of. So why has Wagstaff seemingly completely replaced the moons role? Especially as, at least as of Encore, the moon is still watching.

image.png.84198dc5e418d08bf54fc7ae33dcd132.png

The shadow Eye disappearing is REALLY weird, considering a little drama. The mirror, which is implied to be the shadow entity, says that "they had finally found the one who would set them free" or something to that extent.

Considering Axiom Vistus, along with forgotten knowledge, I doubt Charlie and the moon are collaborating in any respects.

That said, if from beyond ended with both Charlie and Wagstaff being forced to become survivors after finishing the From Beyond arc in game, that would be really cool.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fufuji said:

The Constant isn't just the DST world. The DST main world is called "the Hub", it's in the center of the Constant, where Ancient Gateway and Nightmare Throne are located in. Surrounding the Hub are smaller planes like Forge, Gorge, Hamlet and Seawrecked. These different worlds (or shards, planes, dimensions) together forms the Constant. 

The shadow realm, moon realm, demons' realm, there's no prove that they are independent dimensions currently. We know very little about these. 

Ancient Fuelweaver said that this world is unraveling. It is probably because that opening trans-dimension gates will damage "the world's fabric". Currently these can be confirmed as trans-dimension gates: Ancient Gateway, Teleportato, portals Wagstaff built in the trailers. This explains why rifts from other dimensions start appearing in the Hub. 

About Ancient Gateway, it can be known that when activating a trans-dimension gate, energy will generate out of thin air, both lunar and shadow. Charlie&Metheus led the survivors to the gateway, to collect the energy generated by survivors going through the gateway. The Ancients (Ruins era) seems only utilizing the matters emerging from the gateway (fuel and probably thulecite), and the gateway is probably built by the Ancients from Archive era.

i know that. what i dont understand is what is that "moon realm" because alter seems to live in the constant since forever rather than coming from other dimension like the shadow entity behind the gateway

before the rifts were a thing, every "moon thing" was an alter shenanigan. Gestals were part of him and you could see them in their surface (and under it in the grotto) and during nights because of his influence when they wake up, mutants were mobs affected by them, etc

now everything are possession by gestals from another plane, plane that was never hinted when even in the ancient murals and in the archives you can see that alter was in the sky already

A lot of characters need more downsides, not just because they are too good, but i think downsides make characters more interesting to play.

Just see Wolfgang, we can argue about the fact he is or is not OP and that's ok, but he has almost 0 real downsides, the same for wicker and woodie and wanda too!

except wilson i think klei should add more downsides to a lot of characters firstly because downsides make characters more interesting and challenging to play in a good way imo.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sacco said:

A lot of characters need more downsides, not just because they are too good, but i think downsides make characters more interesting to play.

Just see Wolfgang, we can argue about the fact he is or is not OP and that's ok, but he has almost 0 real downsides, the same for wicker and woodie and wanda too!

except wilson i think klei should add more downsides to a lot of characters firstly because downsides make characters more interesting and challenging to play in a good way imo.

Yep. It's why I gravitate toward Wormwood. His downside changes gameplay drastically for everyone else. I loved Wendy because her lack of single target damage actually meant something. Now she does more damage as long as she is attacking with Abby which... I get but now she has 0 downside essentially. Warly is another one of my favorites because his downside of "can't eat the same meal" is really really impactful. (Until you realize you just eat 2 Meaty Stews every 5 days then it becomes a non-issue so taking a look at that would be welcome imo).
I think Wanda's downside which is her age mechanic is an actual downside. I think the major issue with her is how easy it is to recover health and the lack of a global cooldown between her healing watches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sacco said:

While I agree a lot about the fact that characters need more downsides, as downsides are often what makes a character interesting to play, I have to say that Wanda is already interesting to play.

Sure, she is strong- I'm not denying that. But to say that her gameplay isn't interesting is just objectivaly wrong. She has an entire status bar replaced with something else- that is a gameplay element that you have to deal with throughout the entire playthrough, just like Wormwood's healing or monster character racism

As for Wilson- Klei would first need to make him an actual character before they can start thinking about making his gameplay more interesting with downsides.

• Like 5
  • Health 1

1 hour ago, Sacco said:

Probably why Wormwood is one of the best characters in terms of fun. It is not his upsides, mainly the downsides which work with the upsides.

• Like 1