A note about tomorrow's update.

Hey everybody. 

First, I just want to thank everybody for their feedback and conversations regarding the next update "Taking Root". It's been very helpful and we appreciate all the time and effort involved in providing your thoughts and ideas. 

I am going to try to keep this as brief as I can because there's still a lot to get ready for tomorrow. 

I just wanted to take a minute to acknowledge the concerns people have expressed for the next update and let you know that while we considered delaying the update (we actually started moving forward with the idea that we were going to delay), we had to keep on as planned because it would cause major issues for console players. We decided rather than inconvenience players with the delay I would provide some more information to clarify some things. 

The content in "Taking Root" is too narrow in focus and without the update that follows it (more info on that in a minute) players not only can't see the bigger picture but they really don't benefit from the update (as intended) yet either. This means, realistically the update is just kind of "meh" without an understanding of what is to come. 

First and most importantly - when the update arrives tomorrow there will be a new mechanic in place that will only allow the rifts to begin under a very specific condition that players must directly trigger after defeating the Celestial Champion. So you won't need to worry about those rifts messing up your base until you're ready for it. Which brings me to my next point. 

The update following "Taking Root" will focus on a shadow equivalent of these rifts. As we have been hinting at - there is an equal and opposite force that is intended to conflict with the lunar rifts, and they are each intended to counteract with the other. As we said previously, players are going to want to choose one side or the other and with only one side available, it's just going to be confusing and weird. 

Additionally, "Taking Root" had a pretty high tech cost. There was a lot of time and effort into setting everything up for this set of 3 updates in the new "From Beyond" arc. So overall there is a bit less actual content to bite into than you might have hoped.

It's been a while since beta when we were often delivering partial content, so it's a bit unfamiliar territory for a lot of you. We should have just waited until we could deliver a more cohesive experience and worried less about hitting the "monthly" goal. The roadmap was written with the idea of following the same cadence as we had in the past and perhaps we should review update timing again. We still think this update is pretty cool, it's just a bit of a missed opportunity to not have these two updates release together. 

With that being said, we're going to do a small reveal tomorrow with a teaser image that I think you'll love. Additionally, Vito and Jason are going to be on stream Thursday and talk a bit about what's in store. But, without too many spoilers, of course. 

Thanks to everybody once again, we're very sorry for any confusion here and we're excited to get this update out to you. We think this arc is going to be great and we hope you think so too. 

Well, that's very nice that the devs are communicating with the community. Happy that you guys took the feedback to heart and realized some things.

And if the team is thinking about moving away from the 'monthly updates' scheme - go for it.

A bigger, juicier update every 3 months sounds like a solid deal to me, especially since character refreshes are done, which means that QoL and content updates can be freely mixed together. Just make sure to provide the community with a teaser image/new vignettes while we're waiting between the updates to ease in the shift ;)

I understand the business need to move forward with deployment regardless, and I see some improvements in the planar damage numbers to not be as penalizing to some characters.

I think my primary concerns are

1) Challenge is good, but punishment is bad.  I don't need things just arbitrarily destroying my world that I'm not given a chance to interact with.

2) Character fantasy being wiped out.  I'm typically a character loyalist, playing 1 character through an entire play through with a world fitting their perks and benefits and often begrudgingly doing things off-brand for the character when I must...

3) Arbitrary systems without clarity.  This has been improved some with the particle effects for planar damage, and the test dummies being added but I feel this should either be explored further so that the entire game encompasses some damage-type system making the new planar deal fit in more, or backing out of planar being a special damage and going with a different method of flattening the dps curve for characters against the new content

- as a note on that - I don't feel nerfing combat characters is needed.  Solo most bosses and combat is pretty engaging whether you're a combat character or not.  Combat characters speed things along, but none of them hold a candle to 4 ppl just holding F.

4) Forced Gearing - Being limited to using specific gear is not my idea of a good time.  DST has never forced me to use specific gear before, yet here we are.  That it is happening at "end-game" is more concerning as this sets the stage for everything that comes after.  Am I going to be forced to use these equips for everything after?  I want my options to increase over time, not decrease.

14 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Well, that's very nice that the devs are communicating with the community. Happy that you guys took the feedback to heart and realized some things.

And if the team is thinking about moving away from the 'monthly updates' scheme - go for it.

A bigger, juicier update every 3 months sounds like a solid deal to me, especially since character refreshes are done, which means that QoL and content updates can be freely mixed together. Just make sure to provide the community with a teaser image/new vignettes while we're waiting between the updates to ease in the shift ;)

imo they could probably still release skins monthly, even if content is spread out.  I'm literally *always* down for more skins in DST.  Specifically I'm hoping we get skins for the dreadstone equips added with Wilson's update.

yeah, this clears things up more, unfortunately we cannot see the bigger picture as you guys are intentionally withholding information from us which is completely understandable, and no one at Klei is to blame, it's simply how development works, adding features and working on them later is much better for creativity. Personally I would definitely rather wait longer for a more cohesive update than expect one every month.

It's nice to see that you guys are actually trying something new, planar damage and the rifts were a big risk, but was panned by the community for reason, I do hope to see actual improvements with the content introduced with this update so far.

thank you JoeW.

First off, thank you for the response! This helps a lot with my worries about the update, and I appreciate that the devs are indeed hearing player’s concerns about the rifts, especially with them being dangerous to bases.

In terms of content updates/scheduling, something I think about is during the time when a new reign was around and how that update was split into “parts” as opposed to the usual schedule of beta updates. Those parts were made of multiple different beta updates, which by themselves were not incredible, but combined was a lot more cohesive to the intent. The example that sticks out to me is herd mentality and the original winters feast. Herd mentality introduced no eyed deer, which were essentially reskinned volt goats at the time (the only “mechanic” the player could utilize was the fact killing them when they had a horn would drop 1 extra meat). Winters feast expanded on them to be more passive mobs which could drop horns on hitting trees, and those horns were used to summon Klaus, the new boss added in said update that needed an item from a mob in a prior update.

Perhaps this might want to be considered again, if cohesion is encouraged for the updates. It would mean players who want to play new pieces can actively play the branch to test them, while complete “parts” are only pushed to the main branch. The only issue I see is console players would be a particular challenge, as I’m not sure how feasible it is to have an “experimental” branch, especially without the luxuries of being a massive company.

I have to say it's pretty commendable to hear - or rather read - about you acknowledging the criticisms that were given, as well as thinking a bit more about your update/release scheduling. Truth be told I felt as though the monthly update goal was beginning to show problems for a little while, so I really hope that things might get the necessary time they need to reach their fullest potential.

While I can't say that this immediately addresses every concern there is, it's at least a major step, so here's to see things flow better going forward nonetheless!

No need to apologize. It is apparent that it is impossible to please parts of this community. Some people seem to actually believe that a new update will be released that will ruin their experience, because they keep assuming things even after getting plenty of reassurance. Too bad it had to come to spoilers about future updates, but it does not matter since the coming updates are going to be great. Keep doing what you are doing, Klei. It has brought us so much joy over the last 10 years. <3 A loud applause to the Klei team! :victorious:

Just now, HalfEnder776 said:

Heres to hoping the shadow rifts have some aporkalipse lore

Having the shadow invasion stop by killing the Ancient Herald / using an item dropped by him would be a wish come true for me.

9 minutes ago, Dragonboooorn said:

#Team_Wagstaff_DontStarve react with  Shopcat

#Team_Charlie react with Wavey

Lets see in what kind of society we are in

You just set yourself up for a whole lot of potato cups, buckeroo.

Hey Joe, thank you very much for the update. Everything you're describing sounds really exciting.

The main thing that worries me in this patch, and I think many other megabasers can relate, is the destruction the portals bring. If we had a world toggle to turn off that destruction, I think everyone would feel a lot better about the current state of the patch even if it is sort of "missing" its counterpart.

Archived