[Game Update] - 526348

4 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

Balancing the games around the rushers/speedrunners is weird in general. They should adapt to the game, not the other way around. I don't see Dark Souls speedrunners incessantly asking FromSoftware to remove a mechanic because it doesn't let them get a pb. 

I'm not a speedrunner but I wanted to fight CC before summer. I think assuming only speedrunners wanted this change is erroneous. This is like locking Beequeen in terraria behind 1 in game year before I can get summoner gear. It doesn't make much sense for timegating in a sandbox game imo. The crown is awesome on Wormwood and opens new potential for him so I'm gonna practice getting it as early as my skill allows (what my skill allows ≠ speedrunning).

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Like 6
  • GL Happy 1

6 minutes ago, Well-met said:

An overly receptive developer is no better than one who doesn't listen.

the change to pearl's house recipe was first being suggested when celestial champion was added several months ago. Considering how much has past it would be ignorant to claim that the devs are being overly receptive with this feature. With such a simple change taking so much time i think its reasonable to assume the folks at klei have discussed over whether this was actually a good idea, and i honestly have to agree that removing the 8 hour time barrier on pearl's pearl was a really good change.

• Like 17
  • Big Ups 1

4 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

Balancing the games around the rushers/speedrunners is weird in general. They should adapt to the game, not the other way around. I don't see Dark Souls speedrunners incessantly asking FromSoftware to remove a mechanic because it doesn't let them get a pb. 

Dark souls speedrunners aren't stuck sitting 8 hours because no amount of skill can overcome a hard seasonlock.

Nor does this seasonlock add any sort of value to anyone's gameplay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maxwell_winters said:

The problem with the season-locked items isn't just limited to speedrunning, but also it's a general issue that isn't very avoidable.
Most people don't want to start a world in spring/summer and nearly all pubs will start in autumn, you can't necessarily speedrun progressing through days in DST, there's a fixed amount of time before your next day. 

And considering that if you miss your seasonal opportunity for crabby hermit as a normal player, you have to wait HOURS for you to get your opportunity
And that is widely considered not fun
It's not necessarily just a few salty people who are complaining about a mild inconvenience, but rather the consensus who's done the questline multiple times thinks that it is a quite an inconvenience to... just wait.... and wait.... and that's just annoying.

• Like 2

Depending on which way the wind is blowing at any given time the belief is that we either pay attention to the community too much, or not enough. But the reality is that we internally sort things out and use community feedback to determine if we're achieving what we are looking for. 

Please calm down some of the language here. Let people say what they want to say.

Regardless of what the current belief is - we aren't doing things just because somebody suggested it.

I have had to make this same statement either in defense of us not listening enough, or listening too much way too many times. 

In terms of the recent discussions of difficulty in Don't Starve Together, it's worth telling you that we know this is something many people are concerned with right now. We have a roadmap to get through and that's what we're going to do. We'll tack on some things while we see the opportunity, but we ARE discussing these things and we understand and do not disagree with your concerns. How they are addressed however is still quite up in the air. To be perfectly clear, we are aware this has been a complaint for a very long time from some people. I am not suggesting that we care more or less than we ever have; however, I can tell you that we are aware that more people are feeling this way and have been and will continue discussing how this feedback fits in to our plans both ongoing and in the future.

That being said, the nitpicky arguments and snipping back and forth with each other is getting old and I am going to start being more harsh with the warnings if it doesn't settle down. Most of you should know better by now. Don't make it personal, keep it on topic and polite. 

Thanks. 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3
  • Health 1
  • Big Ups 2
  • GL Happy 1

52 minutes ago, JoeW said:

In terms of the recent discussions of difficulty in Don't Starve Together, it's worth telling you that we know this is something many people are concerned with right now. We have a roadmap to get through and that's what we're going to do. We'll tack on some things while we see the opportunity, but we ARE discussing these things and we understand and do not disagree with your concerns. How they are addressed however is still quite up in the air. To be perfectly clear, we are aware this has been a complaint for a very long time from some people. I am not suggesting that we care more or less than we ever have; however, I can tell you that we are aware that more people are feeling this way and have been and will continue discussing how this feedback fits in to our plans both ongoing and in the future.

Does it means you have some plans for extra challenges? * ^ *

• Haha 1
  • Wavey 3
  • Potato Cup 1

I hope lightbulbs are changed from Hermit's House recipe, too.

I don't enable caves very often because of my 'not-so-powerful' PC. I would usually only add caves when I have finished all/most of Forest world play-through to reduce lag. 

I know there are other ways to obtain lightbulbs, but they are very RNG related to actually be enjoyable (finding skitter or Moon Quey island).

I just want to say, lightbulbs, as a cave thing, isn't very related with ocean themes,  requiring them here in a main ocean content is not very necessary and could bring more unwanted trouble (not difficulty, since they are abundant in caves).

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, PuffinBy said:

I hope lightbulbs are changed from Hermit's House recipe, too.

I don't enable caves very often because of my 'not-so-powerful' PC. I would usually only add caves when I have finished all/most of Forest world play-through to reduce lag. 

I know there are other ways to obtain lightbulbs, but they are very RNG related to actually be enjoyable (finding skitter or Moon Quey island).

I just want to say, lightbulbs, as a cave thing, isn't very related with ocean themes,  requiring them here in a main ocean content is not very necessary and could bring more unwanted trouble (not difficulty, since they are abundant in caves).

if you're having trouble running caves but happen to play singleplayer DST so you can't have your friend host either, there's a perfect mod for it.
"don't starve alone" makes it so that the caves (and inversely, surface) shards are only active if you're currently on them. two shards exist, but only one being active at a time. so you don't get caves lag or cpu issues.

I wouldnt mind if something like this was added to the basegame for people with lower-end computers and no one else hosting.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Siegmund said:

if you're having trouble running caves but happen to play singleplayer DST so you can't have your friend host either, there's a perfect mod for it.
"don't starve alone" makes it so that the caves (and inversely, surface) shards are only active if you're currently on them. two shards exist, but only one being active at a time. so you don't get caves lag or cpu issues.

I wouldnt mind if something like this was added to the basegame for people with lower-end computers and no one else hosting.

Thanks. I've heard of this mod, but I tend not to use any mod. Stability concerns, plus, I would enjoy some occasional visit by a friend or two.

Back to topic. I'm discussing that the intention of Hermit's House ingredients change was to make building it less troublesome. However, it actually turned out to be even more  inconvenient for some playstyles.  So I'm expressing my hope that the team could give it another look.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, PuffinBy said:

Thanks. I've heard of this mod, but I tend not to use any mod. Stability concerns, plus, I would enjoy some occasional visit by a friend or two.

Back to topic. I'm discussing that the intention of Hermit's House ingredients change was to make building it less troublesome. However, it actually turned out to be even more  inconvenient for some playstyles.  So I'm expressing my hope that the team could give it another look.

I think cave content being included in Pearl tasks is great, I see it as a good incentive for some players to go down (besides ruins and archives). I've seen players who wouldn't go to the caves just because of fear of the unknown (I was included in this group back in the day)

Besides, you can unlock most of pearl trades (which is the only reason to visit her besides pearled CK) through other tasks. The exception being winter feast adornments.

I say this because, in a caveless world, it seems pointless to do pearled CK if you can't get the last altar (from the archives)

Getting 3 lightbulbs shouldn't be too inconvenient, as you'll be sailing to reach her and also to get cookie cutter shells.

You can even find squids running in mainland sometimes.

EDIT: Unrelated but this change means that nothing worlds can now complete her house due to lightbulbs spawning from the forest stalker (which means pearled CK is gated behind shadow pieces)

Edited by Juanasdf

if the cacti flowers for whatever reason are now considered unacceptable why not just replace them with ordinary petals? Since ordinary flowers are clearly whats in the flower pots. 5FD4E267-2B94-4C47-981B-F869982D3565.thumb.jpeg.d91105a7d1f27cf810d9412520ef6aaf.jpegBD76D1D8-D2AD-40BF-BA18-C59AC9AEDE0F.thumb.jpeg.62408e6ac87da3eba7a047c782e0ed74.jpeg
the new recipe spread looks convoluted, random and a little ugly. 
the current 10/10, 10/10, 5/10 spread is much more sleek and elegant. 

the new recipe spread adresses the light element that the current one doesnt but completely ignores the flower pots.

Including carpet turf in the last upgrade is also kinda weird, since the last upgrade adds the spire on top. If carpet turf is to be included it makes more sense for it to be in the first recipe for the base of the house, no?

Edited by Ohan
  • Like 13

6 hours ago, JoeW said:

Please calm down some of the language here. Let people say what they want to say.

Regardless of what the current belief is - we aren't doing things just because somebody suggested it.

I have had to make this same statement either in defense of us not listening enough, or listening too much way too many times. 

No matter what you do, there will always be people not liking something.

Thanks for taking a more direct stance, as people don't seem to empathize unless you bluntly tell them they are being disrespectful.

I trust Klei. We don't know their full vision, and they brought us this far and still have more ideas in the tank.

• Like 3
  • Shopcat 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

Any chance for anything so people are more motivated to join pubs in other seasons than autumn? I really wish it was easier to play with people in this game than finding a new friend every month because that's how long usually they get bored of this game.

It seems to me that a mosaic should be created from Moon Shard, because there is a lot of it. There are a lot of crafts where Moon Rock is used, unlike crafts made from Moon Shard. only 5 crafts where shard is used, and there are a lot of ways to get it.

image.png.4281d2b1e8f113fe74ca5017a2790275.png

image.png.7b44af5512ff5dd3dd2e89e46436c7cf.pngimage.png.0604c4282e6724db75fd4c344aae82bf.png

image.thumb.png.c816086c7df530e6d6ccb47eb84042ce.pngimage.thumb.png.da9677db76e5ddec7ec0c8fed83ceceb.png

Edited by GodIess
  • Like 3
  • Sanity 1

On 10/7/2022 at 2:23 PM, sylvia wander o said:

Hey I just wanna get in a reply early here and say that while the removal of cactus flowers from the recipe is super good for players wanting to rush the celestial champion, the other changes to stage 1 and 2 are SUPER unnecessary and don't really feel good. My early game is gonna need to be significantly more complicated just to get the same rewards of buying good lures early, and I might have to start playing with caves enabled JUST for the lightbulbs even though I never go down there otherwise :(

How do you fight celestial champion without caves enabled? Don't you need archives items to spawn it?

1 hour ago, Mooagain said:

How do you fight celestial champion without caves enabled? Don't you need archives items to spawn it?

Sorry if my wording was confusing, I was stating that this change benefits one group of players (those who want to rush the celestial champion) however it makes things more difficult to another group of players such as myself.