[Game Update] - 526348

@ScottHansen I apologize, I don't usually like pinging devs, but is there any chance this could be looked into?
image.thumb.png.4281b65f1a76b6919cca209be7fa698e.png
I'm unsure of why the change was made, it may be a valid change, but I do admit not having a portal was a fun factor for wilderness worlds.
Maybe the portal could be a setting?
Not having a portal and not having character swapping in my worlds was enjoyable, felt more grim and lonely.
Additionally when using Wilderness and using the new "random" spawn locations, you spawn at the portal instead of randomly after you die, defeating the purpose.

EDIT: Woah, my internet/forums died for a second there. Sorry for the double post/ping! ^^'

Edited by -Variant
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, -Variant said:

@ScottHansen I apologize, I don't usually like pinging devs, but is there any chance this could be looked into?
I'm unsure of why the change was made, it may be a valid change, but I do admit not having a portal was a fun factor for wilderness worlds.
Not having a portal and not having character swapping in my worlds was enjoyable, felt more grim and lonely.
Additionally when using Wilderness and using the new "random" spawn locations, you spawn at the portal instead of randomly after you die, defeating the purpose.

i think the portal should be a setting as you said rather than having it depends on which spawning setting you chose. Some people might want to spawn in random location but wants the portal to change character or decorate arround it

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 9:28 PM, JoeW said:

the belief is that we either pay attention to the community too much, or not enough

It is really tricky because its almost impossible to get everyone satisfied, people diverges a lot when its about opinions around how the game is suposed to be - quite hard to match it. Thanks for the effort guys. I commend you for the way u deal with this struggle.

On 10/7/2022 at 4:40 PM, ScottHansen said:

It no longer requires seasonal items.

seriously cannot thank you enough for this! I think this should have been the case from the beginning. Veterans of the game love rushing for bosses and "hish risk/high reward" content, and the seasonal limits are painful especially if you play public servers where worlds usually are reset before summer. This gives skilled and well organized players more options to access the cool lunar content, and incentivizes doing hermit quests earlier on, especially in public servers.

Edited by Bird Up
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

seriously cannot thank you enough for this! I think this should have been the case from the beginning. Veterans of the game love rushing for bosses and "hish risk/high reward" content, and the seasonal limits are painful especially if you play public servers where worlds usually are reset before summer. This gives skilled and well organized players more options to access the cool lunar content, and incentivizes doing hermit quests earlier on, especially in public servers.

Maybe I’m stupid, and if so please forgive my cluelessness but.. won’t this just allow skilled players to rush Moonstorms that much sooner onto casual players who aren’t ready for them?

perhaps but moonstorms are usually totally avoidable by just not entering them, and you do get the plus side of it never being dark, along with gestalts actually helping your sanity.

I see a lot of really good QoL in these upcoming updates and I want to pitch the idea to patch how the Eye of Cthulhu spawns. Right now at least in pubs, some random person comes across the terrarium and spawns it when literally no one asked for it, no one is prepared for it, and its like day 5 lol. It spawns completely randomly so even if somone is ready to kill it, there's no guaranteeing it will spawn where you want it to. I think the randomness is hard to organize the boss fight, but easy to grief with. It's always been problematic in this way. If it spawns on the person closest to the terrarium, or the person with the most days - just some ideas - it would be a lot easier to prepare for.

Edited by Bird Up