Should DST get a hardmode option?

my thoughts is that is gonna be a mode that woúld take a lot of testing, a lot of balancing, a lot of disscussion and will be played by the minority of the players

i do want it but id rather if they just keep their schedule like it is for now

Spoiler

Some not know this but apparently if there are 2 qols left, 2 content updates, 1 character rework and winter feast/hallowed nights, there isnt enough months in this year to put this all together, unless they add more per month

I'd be looking for difficulty as new really challenging content for who want them for the rest of their game by activating something more than making the whole stuff harder from the start like Terraria Expert mode does. I wouldn't like things such as : more health for normal enemies or making things more expensive, those wouldn't be a super fun impact at least to me (but sure other things could be better in that way, just I'm more looking for in-game more content than rework mode).
Quite still convinced a gameplay integrated hardmode could be done properly, well, like in Terraria again but tweaked for something fitting DST more to make the ongoing lategame spicy again with more to it.

7 minutes ago, Horsheen said:

I mean...you could just tweak the world gen settings if you wanted to make the game harder

These aren't the sort of challenges many look forward for, they are mostly just for frequencies and densities, they doesn't accomplish much as for making the game harder in a smart way. Not that they aren't fun or useful but if you want proper difficulty, that is just too messy.

1 hour ago, Capybara007 said:

Hide contents

Some not know this but apparently if there are 2 qols left, 2 content updates, 1 character rework and winter feast/hallowed nights, there isnt enough months in this year to put this all together, unless they add more per month

just add more months! 

3 minutes ago, ADM said:

These aren't the sort of challenges many look forward for, they are mostly just for frequencies and densities, they doesn't accomplish much as for making the game harder in a smart way. Not that they aren't fun or useful but if you want proper difficulty, that is just too messy.

Yeah true, good point

Personally I prefer when games have 1 set difficulty, but I know other people don't like that. I guess it's the sort of thing that mods will accomplish, because it seems that the devs are more focused on making the game easier and more approachable for new players, rather than making it more difficult

There is a mod for that.

But tbh implementing such a thing would probably be very annoying for the devs. The characters are balanced for the current difficulty. If they were to implement a hardcore mode, they'd be bombarded with posts demanding they buffing someone like Warly because he's not good in hardcore mode.

Hardmode for DST-like game was invented almost decade ago, and it did it's job very well. But it remains in DS until these days, not updated, gathering dust (and worldgen bugs), and I think it's a shame since idea is great. 

For DS it was Adventure Mode: not only regular worldgen settings were changed (like season duration - from absence to permanent, - weather effects, mobs spawners frequency), but also unique maps were generated that player normally couldn't reproduce (bridges from king of winter, game is afoot and darkness, two world's different conditions depending on player's location on the map, unique wormhole generation patterns in two world's and archipelago, etc.), unique set pieces, even different set of starting items was something that worked well with previous points.

For DST hardmode I would like something very similar, but updated with consideration of cave, RoG, AnR, RoT content and multiplayer in mind in general (yet possible to complete alone, just like Fuelweaver fight). By updating I mean inclusion of "new" biomes, seasons, effects, craftables, resources in general, as well as modification of obsolete things like land bridges (making checkepoint require boat and passing though sea weeds tight cluster is an example) and even new chapters.

To be more precise, shorter autumns/winter start made player do their best to achieve goals in time rather than being lenient, resources shortage in other chapters made mistakes less forgiving, land bridges forced player to think outside the box (hello cluster of t3 spider nest in very narrow gap of land, same for pig guard bridge, especially if the latter devided starter area with not much resources and pig king village/teleportato/graveyard area), put player in uncomfortable situation like staying long on the verge of insanity without proper light source (sanity/insanity bridges in king of winter and darkness, even with miner hat visual light radius was far from comfortable, especially in biomes with dark turf, not to mention 0 sanity situation), very limited amount of supplies player could carry across the worlds, and easy food shortage in darkness chapter also made game harder. 

After figuring out strategies (or inventing set of them) and practicing combat and particular situations tactics, AM seemed much easier, but I'd argue that was due to player becoming more experienced; and it was still harder than sandbox mode. So every time I see players wanting hardmode I remember AM and can't help but imagine it's potential should it be updated.

1 hour ago, Terra_Zina said:

There is a mod for that.

But tbh implementing such a thing would probably be very annoying for the devs. The characters are balanced for the current difficulty. If they were to implement a hardcore mode, they'd be bombarded with posts demanding they buffing someone like Warly because he's not good in hardcore mode.

You'd be surprised something that baffled me personally is how much better a typically weak character like Walter feels in the uncompromising mod specifically because combat punishes you more for not being more careful.(Well that and his tent is really dang good in it.)

8 hours ago, LiamAshvinn001 said:

Self-explanatory, should it get one? Klei could add some new mechanics and changes to be more difficult, something akin to expert mode in Terraria. It would take more resources, but whats your thoughts?

I think there kinda should be because like whenever I'm on a public server they just rollback for no reason after they lost like 2 items. But at the same time thats not stopping someone from just not rolling back or limiting themselves during a run. Instead of the game being made easier or harder by the devs, I think it should just be up to the player to make it however hard or easy they want it to be with mod, self made rules or world setting changes.

2 hours ago, Well-met said:

it already exists, its Wes

old wes kinda was for the original game, but then hes just a burden to public servers so they made him less of a burden. its not really hard mode anymore

though I will add that I think they should add an option to play characters before they got their refresh. Kinda like having two characters in one 

1 minute ago, Bugsworth said:

old wes kinda was for the original game, but then hes just a burden to public servers so they made him less of a burden. its not really hard mode anymore

are you aware that the refresh was a bunch of nerfs? how it was harder before?

2 hours ago, Dextops said:

no not really, any decent player would have little to no trouble playing wes.

still harden than wilson no matter how much elo the player has

9 hours ago, LiamAshvinn001 said:

Self-explanatory, should it get one? Klei could add some new mechanics and changes to be more difficult, something akin to expert mode in Terraria. It would take more resources, but whats your thoughts?

if it will be like expert mode - with new weapons, new tools, new boss attacks, new features, etc. - it will be a good choice. If like master - nothing new except decor statues and useless pets - hell no.

6 minutes ago, Bugsworth said:

They made Wes better tbh. The nerfs were like, not that bad

the only thing that is better is that he got a speed buff ballon that become useless after 1st winter and removed hunger drain (but now only has 75 hunger) and a sanity balloon that is more like a waste of time than something really useful outside of helping noobs or farming NF (which isnt that big of a deal with -25% damage). In exchange he got a nerf on all his stats, harder time with weather, more likely to get aggroed by hounds (useful in coop) and more chances to get strike by lightning

Archived