The hostile flares are kinda ill designed

Like, how on earth should you be able to summon Deerclops arbitrarily at the cost of cheap ingredients, even during the very first winter? Even if the player is ultimately able to master the Constant, that should not happen so early. There should be a way of evolution. On the other hand, ingredients of Wicker's books are kinda reasonable. You can only control the weather after you beat the Spring Boss. You can only control the moon phase after you find the lunar island and the archive. Even if you do not find the archive, you should at least know about the Ruins and the Moon Stone.

To sum up, to my mind, there should be more consideration of the ingredients of hostile flares. Or its recipe can only be discovered after enough exploration.

Hostile flare is very bad addition to the game, people who want more giants in a season should just set them in world settings to "More" and have fun, what even the reason of adding it? Making already OP Eyebrella and Walking Cane/Tam'o'Shenter even easier to get in big amounts? Its just... never should be implemented in a first place, its just would make even more players optimize fun out of the game

25 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

this thread is so anti fun

What's anti-fun is every single player ignoring the next two seasons because you have a dozen of what is supposed to be a rare item. Not having the eyebrella forces you to learn and adapt, choosing a variety of different ways to make it through spring and summer. With it you just wear the silly hat.

The hostile flare feels like Klei adding a way to summon raids like people asked for, but then for some reason didn't want it to just do that so they thought of other things it could do. Eyebrella is probably the single most detrimental item that could be handed out to everyone. 

Just now, Cheggf said:

What's anti-fun is every single player ignoring the next two seasons because you have a dozen of what is supposed to be a rare item. Not having the eyebrella forces you to learn and adapt, choosing a variety of different ways to make it through spring and summer. With it you just wear the silly hat.

The hostile flare feels like Klei adding a way to summon raids like people asked for, but then for some reason didn't want it to just do that so they thought of other things it could do. Eyebrella is probably the single most detrimental item that could be handed out to everyone. 

damn those r a lot of words but how about not use eyebrella and hflare if you dont want to

people like the flare now, let them enjoy something you dont

2 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

damn those r a lot of words but how about not use eyebrella and hflare if you dont want to

people like the flare now, let them enjoy something you dont

I enjoy writing comments so why are you not letting me enjoy what I want to? 

7 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

i didnt not let you do anything

Just like I'm not stopping anyone from doing anything. Even if I was able to command Klei to remove the flare that wouldn't be stopping anyone from fighting deerclops a lot. Mods, console commands, and world settings all let you get more eyes. The "fun" is already there. You can make it with or without the flare. 

9 minutes ago, Well-met said:

it's a very badly designed item assigned to band-aid fix issues that don't exist.

since it makes the game easier it's of course well received.

i though you said you set giants to "more"

i can see people wanting to remove the bottleneck behind crafting hondious but the item was made to compensate the nerf to monkey raids (which doesnt fix that they arent a danger...)

It solves the problem that bosses don't drop enough to benefit 2 players, and a lobby can fit much more than 2.

It makes you fight the boss again, so the same test of skill is there.

Gives something interesting to do with your time.

I don't see why anyone would complain.

I have a feeling the hostile flare was added for monkeys and Walruses- and then came the idea to throw in Deerclops as a punishment for farming tusks which normally you have to leave your base during winter for, which even for veterans might be a bother. But it still gives you multiple eyeballs, which is kinda meh. So like, good idea, bad side effect.

Makes me think of blind Deerclops, that arrives because the sound lured it in, and doesn't drop an eyeball because it has none. Could have eye stitched the same way Klaus has.

Hostile flares are  too inexpensive  for what they can do.  You can literally  get up to 8 spawns  by the end of the first winter

Roll for the loot like most servers do.  I absolutely  detest the Eyebrella because  it takes up an inventory  slot. I'd rather other people have it. 

Walking canes are my choice item. But if I can't get one I go get a Thule club 

Okay so I get why you can find it weird in term of cost and such but I'd like to give my extra credit on why I think it's quite alright.

There's a few things I could go over with what you can do with the boss but a simple one to acknowledge is on the utility of Deerclops loots, the eyeball has 2 crafts, the Eyebrella and the Houndius Shootius. While the first isn't mandatory to have for spring or summer it is still to me an item you should be given if you can defeat a Deerclops when wanted, so if you have 1 or so on I don't think it makes a difference, each player can go trough the same deal as a single Deerclops and have their equipment instead of a big wait plus the eventual problems of not spawning Deerclops and other complications, anyway.
For the turret you still have the Ancient Guardian thing to go after, repeat all that cycle of the Shadow Pieces, Fuelweaver who has the 20 days cooldown, take the time to clear the ruins if wanted... that has a lot to it but if the end result is to have on top of all the wonderful loots is a turret it would be sad to limit them to how many winters you've been waiting to get them. Not that I don't like time requirements but applying that to something as meh as the Houndius Shootius is, uh, well I've made my point.

So I think freeing the eyeball from a totally time aspect is a good thing, as for the rest it's just Deerclops, we could already play around with our Bearger and all. To me the cost could be anything even more expensive I don't think this affect the power level of what you do with this. But it definitively do a solid favor for multiplayer servers and that's something you want happening for the first winter.

if you play solo, it doesn't really affect you, as eyeballs are just pilling with time. For multi... well, more players use more resources and only well-organised group will do more than one deerclops. And instead of second deerclops you might want to kill Klaus for chance for better loot + chance for another eyeball.

Funny part: on server of 5 players, with 4 mactusks and intense farming we for like 300 days had to live without any tam'o'shanters and barely enough walking canes. Bad luck just exist.

Basically hostile flare is an item for advanced players, who will anyway survive with or without certain drops.

Perfect time to start working on a seasons refresh to add some additional gameplay/challenge now that eyebrellas are so easily accessible negate the entirety of spring and a good chunk of summers seasonal difficulty.

Seriously the challenge for spring is the wetness and lightning mechanic that are completely negated with 1 clothing item and 1 structure.

I'd like to see Spring shift towards the hostility of nature and wild and untamed plant overgrowth. Sentient vines that need pruning, overgrown mushroom spore buffs/debuffs, etc anything to compensate for how boring the rain mechanic is then it wouldnt really matter how plentiful eyebrellas are.

Why is spring/summer being negated with one item a problem? It works the same way in RoG. Except perhaps Deerclops is not guaranteed to spawn in the first year in RoG (don’t recall).

Well Eyebrella doesn’t prevent BS RoG Dragonfly from spawning so I guess there’s that.

The hostile flare is very very good and solves one of the worst problems the game has had for its entire life, which is that one player gets to have total rain protection in the first year and everyone else has to suffer through with much less convenient rain protection. Now, all players get to have that if they're skilled enough to fight Deerclops multiple times, which is just a really good change.

So here’s a thought probably no one has though of yet-

In OTHER Multiplayer games loot is either distributed evenly amongst all players (see borderlands piñata for reference) or it’s First Come First Serve basis (See Borderlands before Loot Piñata for Reference) 

Klei probably thought that no one in their right mind wants to spend X amount of hours progressing through multiple years in the game so that every player can get an item/ingredient so they added a flare that lets you summon them.

Now here’s the LOGIC behind that (Im a Gemini it’s within my every nature to question the logic behind everything..)

If these flares did not exist and Klei instead opted to update the game so that loot was distributed evenly across players then you would only need to kill Deerclops once and the Eye would automatically end up in everyone’s inventory (see loot piñata reference) 

With the Flare- you still need to actually kill the mob multiple times to get enough for everyone.

If it was an overly expensive item you had to have a ton of knowledge about the game, or if it was locked behind like 3rd Summer- you return to Square root #1 of the problem:

No one in their right minds wants to spend X hours progressing through multiple in game years to reach that point.

Conclusion- the flare is fine.. And if it Trivializes half the game for you.. well then that’s actually a problem with the game NOT getting any significant new weather seasons, hostile mobs, advancement in mechanics etc..

I mean if you really really want to get technical about it- it’s pretty much the same as it was in 2015… it’s going on 2023- I expected SEQUEL worthy advancements to the game, it’s mob behaviors, the weather seasons and challenges by now..

And RWYS gardening, the advancements in Boating compared to SW those feel like Sequel worthy advancements.. 

But where are those changes for the weather seasons, mobs, how we cook/eat, Combat, etc..?

TL:DR- Flare is fine.. Klei just needs to crank everything else up to 11.

5 minutes ago, sylvia wander o said:

The hostile flare is very very good and solves one of the worst problems the game has had for its entire life, which is that one player gets to have total rain protection in the first year and everyone else has to suffer through with much less convenient rain protection. Now, all players get to have that if they're skilled enough to fight Deerclops multiple times, which is just a really good change.

This is not even a problem and far from "one of the worst". >_> It does not take substational effort to obtain two Moleworms and a Bone Shard to craft a Rain Hat before the first winter. The same goes for the Parasol. The real problem in DST is that most players have become completely dumbfounded by using the most convenient items over and over again so they have entirely forgotten that there are many other alternative items and don't even try to be creative when encoutering logistical problems.

6 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

This is not even a problem and far from "one of the worst". >_> It does not take substational effort to obtain two Moleworms and a Bone Shard to craft a Rain Hat before the first winter. The same goes for the Parasol. The real problem in DST is that most players have become completely dumbfounded by using the most convenient items over and over again so they have entirely forgotten that there are many other alternative items and don't even try to be creative when encoutering logistical problems.

Hi! I'm aware of the different items in this game and I use a rain coat when I can. This does not change that, in a multiplayer environment, it has never felt good for a singular player to get access to the one piece of rain protection that doesn't require you to change how you play. The design of such an item is questionable, of course, but it's never felt good to simply use another item because only one person in the 6 person server gets to keep the best one.

Archived