Sorry klei but crab king isn't very fun

I loved the ancient guardian rework and it is so cool you took a boring fight and made it actually engaging, but not insanely difficult for those who might play solo or be a bit laggy. I would love a rework to Crab King, he looks awesome, his battle theme is epic, but then I feel like the fight's gameplay doesn't really live up to it. He doesn't even have the ability to attack you, unless you get too cold. All he does is sink your boats and fighting him solo is just not something I'd wish upon my greatest enemy. And yet, he is required to access the late game lunar content. I cannot fathom how you are meant to beat it without several people focusing on repairing boats at all times, not to mention cancelling his healing solo requires near perfect timing (At least when I'm playing, even when lagging less than usual)  And I would really rather not have to cheese him in some way every time to fight celestial champion.

Now I know you most likely would never rework this because one xbox player is whining about not being able to beat it, but I'd love to see some changes to them to make it more fun.

Also his loot table is pretty sad. He doesn't even drop his special item, just an expensive blueprint. (It is good though so you can relocate more seaweed but that's about it.)

Again, I really don't mean to hate on anyone's opinions about this boss or klei, and he's one of my favourite bosses aesthetically, along with the Ancient fuelweaver (Epic name, fight, and appearance) and the celestial champion (You get straight up wrecked by the moon what else is there to say.) but I really wish I could actually enjoy fighting it as much as I like bopping to his dope music.

Thanks for listening to my Ted talk lol

It's by far the worst and hardest bossfight. 1 mistake = fight ends, he regenerates, you wasted all the equip.

It's absurd that a CRAB is harder than Fuel Weaver, god of the Nightmare Shadows and Celestial Champion, the ultimate protector of the Moon itself

Not to be the devil advocate as I know it's a heated topic but it's currently my favorite boss fight of the game, takes a while to get used to it so I hope you can overcome the struggle and figure the actual strategies as once you have yours then it's doable regardless of player amount. I've been having lots of fun doing maxed for each gems challenge solo in two worlds now (basically x9 of red, then blue, then purple, etc... they're all doable). All the play is around oaring either for distance or around the boss so you don't get caught at the time of a geysers attack, summoning of claws (which basically only trigger after the first rock detach and after when it repairs), so once you've learned everything about this fight, nothing should surprise you but a mistake can still happen so you got to remind that for another try. I'd love to suggest you to make test worlds to train but given you play on console, doing this without commands and mods prevent fast learning you'd get from other boss that we fight more frequently or just summoning for creative purpose.

My actual only issues I have during that fight are control and gameplay on boat which can turn out chaotic when you want to repair
(ex : you cannot repair boat health when hovering an area with boat patches, the hovering of leaks can be very small sometimes, there should be right click repair and patching actions)... and yes the loots, I still consider the fight is worth the shells if you like doing music tracks in game (shout-out to the 3 players around the world doing it), but if not for that it's a bit unsatisfying going for a boss you like without having utility loots unlike most of the other bosses, so yeah hopefully we get that rain conch or other in the loots.

4 minutes ago, ADM said:

Not to be the devil advocate as I know it's a heated topic but it's currently my favorite boss fight of the game,

Same here, kind of.

It's my favourite boss fight in the game with atleast one other person.

Least favourite when i'm solo.

8 minutes ago, Eughstein said:

nerf gems, they give him too much buffs, whole concept of "customise your boss" got completely ruined by fact of most gems giving him very strong buffs and purple gems giving him not so strong buffs

So they should buff the purple gems.

He is basically the Ancient Guardian of the Return of Them Questline, a very unbalanced fight at the moment that could benefit a lot from an overhaul. I don't agree that it's a fun fight even as a team because it's too demanding and overwhelming to escape all thr geysers, kill the claws in time, heal yout boat and not get frozen. Conceptually it's a really fun and unique fight using unconventional mechanisms but in practice it sucks. I believe the number of grysers should be dropped way down to 2-3 very visible big ones rather than a thousand small ones, claws should have less hp , lesser damage and slower attack and he should give some breathing room between his attacks through a melee multi hit tantrum attack. Gem balances totally out of whack and needs to be toned down to reasonable levels where multiple good and unique combinations exists. The loot should br buffed to be better and be worth  repeating, perhaps to resemble ancient guardian, he can drop a special sea treasure when he's defeated without the pearl's pearl, with a different set of awards for different gem combinations and a good amount of wotthy rewards.

The fight has a real potential to be fun if it allows a reasonable rowing around the danger techniqıe but with the way it is now, it either ends up being an endurance fight to rush killing the CK before he inevitably sinks the boat or through a rather unfair and spammy use of ice staves, weather pains, bee mines or killer bees. He lacks enjoyability, repeatability and variety right now, where he as immense potential.

1 hour ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Make him drop keys for treasure chests to unlock the shell chests and improve their loot as option instead of hammering them.

This. Sort of.

I think the mechanic instead should be that he drops a map when he dies (regardless if pearled or not) that reveals 2-3 sunken chests locations (should spawn randomly once he dies) showing the secret treasure of the crab king. These chests should be special, and have nice loot. Sort of like an alternative Klaus.

Also please rework the strident trident to be a well rounded weapon (on land included). It could even be upgradable with gems, to keep the crab king gem upgrading theme.

My point is that if the loot is good, people will work hard to learn the fight. Currently Crab King is only a stone in your shoe on your way to celestial.

3 hours ago, ADM said:

you cannot repair boat health when hovering an area with boat patches

That sounds like a really cool challenge, beating it with all types of gems. Do you plan on doing 9 iridescent too?

Selecting on xbox is really hard as if you have a steering wheel on your boat, for example, it auto targets that over the boat, making repairs VERY tricky. It does prioritize leaks when holding boat patch so that's good, but repairing without fixing leak is near impossible if you built some structures on the boat.

Sure, he's a renewable source of shell bells, but I feel like buying some from pearl is so much easier if you don't want to set up for fighting him especially.

I don't know how good your pc/console is, but trying to quickly swap between steering, rowing and fighting is really hard if you have evn a tiny bit of lag.

And don't worry no-ones going to hate you for having a different opinion (I hope)

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

The fight has a real potential to be fun if it allows a reasonable rowing around the danger techniqıe but with the way it is now, it either ends up being an endurance fight to rush killing the CK before he inevitably sinks the boat or through a rather unfair and spammy use of ice staves, weather pains, bee mines or killer bees. He lacks enjoyability, repeatability and variety right now, where he as immense potential.

One potential thing they could do is to make him drop different loot depending on what gems were socketed, that could be neat but probably too much work for a small rework.

Also you forgot spamming sea weeds and waiting for them to grow lmao. That's how I had to end up doing it because he was out-healing my army of 80+ bees somehow.

Most of the boss fights in the game aren’t very fun because they expect you to have several people along for the fight, which is a Shame… because this content could otherwise be fun.

And no I absolutely do not agree that finding a way to overcome these bosses Solo with a clever strategy or a lot of grinding for materials is fun nor is it challenging.. and this comes from someone who just 100% every Achievement in Tainted Grail Conquest: Meaning- I’m no stranger to fighting enemies with high health & high damage and near impossible odds.

However That game is SINGLE PLAYER and if I lose a fight: It’s only my own fault for not bringing the correct items to battle.

DST isn’t the same way.. DST expects you to gather friends to fight its bosses- Case in point: Crab King is 100% easier when you have someone who can steer a boat, someone who can man the anchor, someone with ranged weapons hitting it while on the boat..

TL:DR- You got one/two people attacking while the others focus on avoiding the bosses attacks.

CrabKing isn’t “Fun” because if you tackle it alone your putting yourself at an unintended disadvantage.

While in Tainted Grail- yes I fight bosses with 5000 health that can deal 150+ damage in one hit- The trick to that game is to gather enough block/shield cards that the hits won’t kill you.

to do that in DST.. would require farming a crap load of armors + weapons 

I will continue to hold out hope that Klei will rework most bosses to be fun and doable solo without them being designed and intended to have other players join the fight.

CrabKing/Dragonfly would be way more fun if when playing solo they didn’t do things like Heal or Enrage.. these mechanics are only in the game because Klei expects you to bring enough players to overthrow these bosses perks.

A EXCELLENT Example of this is farming Dragon Scales off Dragonfly, if you bring enough players to damage her you can “Stun” her where she collapses to the ground so you can get in a few free hits and she drops her Scales as a resource- You can do this EASILY with 2-3 players, but to achieve the same effect while playing Solo: You will need to summon the Twins of Terror near her and hide inside a BushHat watching the Twins stun her for you.

I wouldn’t call that “fun” sure it’s entertaining the first few times- but eventually you ask yourself “Wouldn’t this fight be a lot easier if the game had Computer Controlled playable characters to help in solo play?”

Ive seen many co-op games intended for 2-4 players still offer solo players the opportunity to play and enjoy the game by having A.I. replace the “human” when they leave the game (Aka left 4 dead/ Back 4 Blood, World War Z)

And I strongly feel like if I could bring along even as little as an A.I. Controlled Wendy who can man the boat and steer while having Abigail apply petal debuff to the boss while I fight it.. something like that would go a very long way in making the fight enjoyable and less tedious to people like myself who don’t always have others to play with.

Imagine if you could for example: Assign A.I. versions of Wendy, Warly & Wolfgang to your team.. you could maybe give them Materials for their powers such as giving Warly the ingredients for his damage boosting food dish or giving Wolfgang materials for his Might Gym, in the above Scenario you’d have Wendy’s petal debuff + Warly food buff + Wolfgang’s 2x damage + whoever You wanted to be.

Which would make these fights easier, less Grindy, and most importantly: No less of a challenge had they have been if you had other players involved.

Is this a fool proof suggestion? Absolutely not… but I guarantee you it’ll make at least the Crab King, Dragonfly & Ewecus fights less annoying.

21 minutes ago, SmallBirdHungry said:

No.

Do not.

Shut it.

Never say that name to a solo player.

You can hire pigs or Merms to help with the fight.. but I mean: Obviously Klei designs content with the intent that you will have other players to play with.

I still hate Water Spiders and CURRENTLY there are no individual toggle settings to choose to have less of them but more normal spiders.

If Klei wants to ponder the difference.. I can run as far away from hordes of millions of spiders that I need to on the main land/lunar island.. but when confined to a tiny Wooden platform- having spiders tuned to lots is going to make for an unfun experience.

I have literally been waiting every single month hoping that Klei will add the Water Logged biome stuff to world Gen settings so I can toggle features such as less Water Spiders, while having more normal/shattered or warrior spiders but so far: it’s not an option.

I don’t wish to further derail your thread but simply wanted to provide an example outside of bosses where the game can prove to be “unfun/overly difficult” when playing alone. 

Honestly, with single-player Don't Starve basically dead, I'd really love it if we'd stop treating Together as if it is exclusively an experience for either groups or the incredibly stubborn. There has to be some way to reward group play without making solo play such a slog.

3 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Honestly, with single-player Don't Starve basically dead, I'd really love it if we'd stop treating Together as if it is exclusively an experience for either groups or the incredibly stubborn. There has to be some way to reward group play without making solo play such a slog.

There is no reason to "reward" group play. The game is not doing that and no one is asking for that. The fights are (somewhat) balanced around multiple people because it's intended for there to be multiple people and you can have much more interesting and engaging fights that way. 

P.s. lol single player game is "dead". 

14 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

There is no reason to "reward" group play. The game is not doing that and no one is asking for that. The fights are (somewhat) balanced around multiple people because it's intended for there to be multiple people and you can have much more interesting and engaging fights that way. 

I don't really see what you're splitting hairs about if you got the idea. Whatever word you want to use, I think there ought to be a way to make content good for group players without making it painful for solo players.

20 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

P.s. lol single player game is "dead". 

In terms of the development track? They spent 3-4 months supporting Hamlet before explicitly telling everyone they were done with it, with plenty of game-breaking bugs left to fix. Unless you know something I don't, I don't see them coming back to it.

24 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

I don't really see what you're splitting hairs about if you got the idea. Whatever word you want to use, I think there ought to be a way to make content good for group players without making it painful for solo players.

In terms of the development track? They spent 3-4 months supporting Hamlet before explicitly telling everyone they were done with it, with plenty of game-breaking bugs left to fix. Unless you know something I don't, I don't see them coming back to it.

Well according to this-

They were doing stuff with Solo DS, but.. it likely takes time and they may already have a jam packed schedule as it is.

As much as I love solo DS if much rather them focus on improving the version I can play with friends even if that means abandoning the single player version to free up time.

6 hours ago, SmallBirdHungry said:

No.

Do not.

Shut it.

Never say that name to a solo player.

followers help you removing the mucus from you

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Most of the boss fights in the game aren’t very fun because they expect you to have several people along for the fight, which is a Shame… because this content could otherwise be fun.

you can fight every boss solo, is only grindy when you have 0 idea of how to defeat it but after you can kill several bosses using the same piece of armor. There are many cheap ways to make fights easier and faster like using morning star, cheese, followers, gun powder, etc

some people just want a hand holding their learning

Archived