1 hour ago, Guille6785 said:

none of the things you mentioned would make combat any more fun or "skillful"

you clearly never played terraria and beat it. also you forgot to see the part where it's my opinion you thinking they aren't fun is your opinion. but eh i gave my 2 cents, peace.

17 minutes ago, MrSoratori said:

yall putting things like that while taking no risk by kittin one enemy  and sayin its bland without considering  ruins or boss battles when u always have to deal with multiple enemies and how perfect the system is cuz of that makes me be sorry for u guys. Seriously some things are better simple. 

yall can say "oh its boring" so try not to look just at fights against one pig. Instead, two terrorbeaks or two krampii [and in this case the flute is there huh, to make it easier] and you will see.

Bosses were into consideration in my suggestion, maybe if you read it you would of caught me saying it wouldnt work against said bosses....unless you did read it then idk what to tell you-

And not to sound rude, but so far everyone including me seem to be quite experienced. Also I play Wendy, so two terrorbeaks are easy with the right perfume. Also two krampii? Those guys are mad easy no offense, fighting Krampus trained me :P 

I think combat is fine. Id like to see them get creative with attack animations and behavior, cool boss mechanics. I think Fuelweaver and Klaus are pretty interesting fights. Dragonfly and Beequeen less so as they just try to overwhelm you with minions so the strategy without cheese mostly becomes have more people.

Someone mentioned Rockjaws and i think those are a good example of creative attack animations and behavior for normal mobs.

I dont know the limitations of the engine, but itd be cool if a mob had an attack where it surrounds itself with like a damaging aoe, and then launches projectiles at you, but with correct timing and distance you can hit the projectiles back at the mob to damage them.

10 hours ago, . . . said:

you clearly never played terraria and beat it. also you forgot to see the part where it's my opinion you thinking they aren't fun is your opinion. but eh i gave my 2 cents, peace.

your opinion is based on something you think "maybe" could be fun

6 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

your opinion is based on something you think "maybe" could be fun

your right my opinion and wouldnt be fun at all because i can only think it would be so it is wrong it was wrong of me to say it here everyone should keep telling me how wrong or bad my opinion for combat is and how my view of fun is wrong and holding a button and moving is the best way to do combat, thank you for being third guy to tell me.

Ranged weapons do exist, but they are generally discouraged. They usually serve as utility tools rather than main damage output. Expanding ranged weapons power will be a major shift of game balance, which I do not wish to see.

This game provides enough sources of damage.Such as gunpowder, various weapons, biological warfare, traps, etc.

But the ordinary way of fighting is too monotonous and boring.a\d\w\s+f,repetitive operation.

The boss with the most variety in fighting is alter.But it seems that this is the end of it.

However, compared with combat, delay is the most important factor affecting the experience, right?

This game's supposed to lure in new players, not hush them away. I wholeheartedly agree with you that the combat system is blatantly simple, but keep in mind that this ain't supposed to be Dark Souls: Starver's Edition :wilsondisappointed:

Point is, if Klei were to add more combat tactics such as

1. parrying a hit a little too late and taking small damage
  2. perfect parry, zero damage + potential stun
  3. throwing your weapon (I miss you Lucy)
  4. more ranged weapons (which unless they have some more uniqueness to them, such as bows requiring you to actually sit still and aim with your cursor, or a javelin that acts like the one in the force) etc.

you'll be combining the Forge with the main game, which would already deem rather tiring for those who have played the forge, but also too overwhelming for starters for the game does not tell you a single thing about anything: You load the game, it throws random stuff at you and it's your job to understand what everything does. If I were in the shoes of a newcomer, I'd be confused and annoyed for I'd die at the simplest of mobs and the trial & error method would become more of a nuisance than a fun thing.

Instead of adding more combat things, it'd be smarter if they added a swipe mechanic instead (AoE damage weapons) Hence as many have stated, stunlocking or having too many enemies at once can be very annoying, not only would such a weapon be much needed, but it'd also keep the current fighting "strat" in its place without adding too many overwhelming mechanics.

Worthy to be mentioned is the fact that this game was not exactly intended for complex PvP-ing, thus adding more mechanics would most likely require Klei to balance out a handful of things to not end up being too powerful, or completely flawed...

But hey, if they buff the Pick/Axe to actually oneshot the Celestial Champion, I'd be content.

The main problem with combat  is that forge is a thing.
Forge introduced at least some decent ideas to combat.
you got throwables which is just waterballoons and the rang. Though they are hardly used and one is used for farming.
Different abillities for equipment. such as the dash with wigfrids spear the dive attack or even the multi jab from the other special spear
you got gear that explodes in your hand
you have a sword that can parry. (reskin to thule club)
Lunge attacks with the hammer.
book smacking?

There is quite alot of potential that klei already made but is not using.
I think would actually be quite fun to see them change up combat in the game.
Since it would add much more to the game rather than it just being  (this does more damage.)

We have seen experimental usage with items like the spear thrower the coconades the blunderbuss

but those are all single player

since dst had the forge I think focus on implementing combat skills from that would  be best
Ie Dashes Lunges Sky drops Summons Barrages.
But keep them unique to specific items Rather than make them general use

I think instead of reworking the basegame combat, I'd appreciate if we got more varied enemy design and perhaps more weapon variety. There could be some items that allow for blocking, and maybe slightly more ranged combat weapons (although I'm iffy on this due to intruding on Walter's gimmick.)

But as a lot of people mentioned, having more varied enemy designs is the basis for making combat more interesting. Instead of changing the system itself, making people have to learn new and more varied ways of dodging enemy attacks and dealing with them could make it a lot more interesting to fight in general- Hence why fights such as the new ancient guardian or the celestial champion are generally seen as fun, I think. Kiting them is fun and does not require just counting to 5 and backstepping once. 

Also, I think having some of the mechanics that were mentioned like blocking be attached to weapons could be nice- The shield of terror, for example, could surely use it. I'm iffy on making dodging mechanics basegame too, since we all have to remember that there is a character in singleplayer that does that, and while she isn't really in DST, I feel like it being a perk should make it more limited.

Perhaps some sort of armor? having more bodyslot options sounds pretty fun rather, than just sticking to armor, and it could be a trade-off of having the ability to dodge but having low damage absorption, meaning it'd only be useful if you're good at using it.

On 5/11/2022 at 8:11 PM, Lumine04 said:

Outdated is a wrong choice of words, I meant to say too simple. Your point holds wieght too, though you wouldnt want any combat gimmicks? I would appreciate something, maybe a higher draw to ranged weapons (not a bow and arrow)

Singleplayer has a gun and spear gun. Play walter if you want a useable ranged weapon

1 hour ago, Lumine04 said:

Aint no way someone actually un-ironically suggested playing Walter. Im screenshoting this, this is history.

He's really not as bad as the community makes out.

#stopthewalterhate

29 minutes ago, Lumine04 said:

He isnt that bad, but I can think of 15 better characters to play over him.

I have seen many people ask for clothes and body armor to get pockets because inventory slots are so strong and they don't know how to manage their inventory. I have seen many people ask for prerework wx to get nerfed despite being the worst character in the game because for an extremely high cost he could get a movement speed bonus.

Walter has both a movement speed bonus and extra inventory slots, in addition to his freeze rounds, marble rounds, gold rounds, tent, and various other perks.

You just think Walter sucks because it you try to fight a boss with the slingshot it doesn't kill it immediately, which makes about as much sense as saying Wolfgang sucks because wimpy Wolfgang with a stone dumbbell as his weapon kills things too slow.

Archived