[Game Update] - Public Testing 506365

• Developer

If anyone is testing on a Mac and has experienced a black backwall texture, everything except UI is black, or blueprint ghosting visual bugs as detailed in this bug report please let me know if the testing build without the -force-glcore launch option fixes them. We made some significant changes in those areas which according to one report has fixed two of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One more bit of a feedback @EricKlei

New pips lack the mischief feeling that you got with the original pips. All critter families in ONI have some unique trait - they can be sheared, they condense gases, they dig like crazy, etc. Pips were the ones that made a lot of mess in your base, but you loved them anyway. Maybe new pips should carry the egg somewhere while hugging it? Maybe they could kick the egg out of incubator to hug it away? Also, since they plant seeds, they are strictly better than base morph and take all uniqueness from them - maybe they should lose that ability, so it was valid to keep both morphs at the same time?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Xenologist said:

I'm noticing the germ overlay isn't as "germy" as it normally is.20220506192940_1.thumb.jpg.f249f16fdf6f01c15ad37da5ae429964.jpg

In the previous page, the devs said that it was a known issue.

• Like 1

A suggestion. Is it in the realm of possibility that the Cool Vest would get buffed while clothing is being touched? Sadly, less insulation does not help a duplicant stay cool, it only helps in allowing more heat in, so a warm sweater ends up performing the job better on both ends. They look really cool, I wish they worked as they're supposed  to.

P.S. I'm glad the way y'all've implemented this doesn't seem to mess with my clothing mod. Probably wasn't intentional, but I appreciate it.

image.png.2f830e7cd68ee22c77008a7456404e0c.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 3

For the new critter versions.

Can you please set the breeding chance base to 100%-0% if we don't use a modifier ?

Otherwise, as there was only one kind of egg for both pip and pokeshell before this update, every fully automated ranch will need a rework to filter eggs type in case of we hit the 2% (if we take as example drecko's base breeding chance, 98%-2%). It will need an additional filter on rail system.

That may especially hurt people like me who are already playing very tiny map for some very-known reasons, and don't have that much space available, or even no space at all, which indeed is my case.

Aside of that, I would appreciate to see this 100%-0% becoming the base breeding chance for other critters as well, thinking about drecko, slickster, puft, etc... That would slightly lighten the heavyness of ranching, of some ranch type at least. That will not simplify designs, that may only help to reduce the tediousness of having multiple conveyor shutoffs to manage eggs.

An idea if you want to keep the low-chance randomness, make it that way for wild critter only. Having 98%-2% may allow few players to find by surprise a glossy drecko wild, if lucky enough. Why not even increasing the 2% a bit to allow more wild diversity ? 

Still, my wish would be first to see the percent relative to an abandonned modifier beeing deep 0% for tamed critters. Make it a bit more tedious please :)

• Like 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

6 hours ago, Primalflower said:

A suggestion. Is it in the realm of possibility that the Cool Vest would get buffed while clothing is being touched? Sadly, less insulation does not help a duplicant stay cool, it only helps in allowing more heat in, so a warm sweater ends up performing the job better on both ends. They look really cool, I wish they worked as they're supposed  to.

P.S. I'm glad the way y'all've implemented this doesn't seem to mess with my clothing mod. Probably wasn't intentional, but I appreciate it.

image.png.2f830e7cd68ee22c77008a7456404e0c.png

It is wonderful that Klei has implemented Clint Eastwood :congratulatory:

image.png.229769253dd758d8f0e2aaa4da643112.pngimage.png.630630452205431f1cd4ed9d5567fef8.pngimage.thumb.png.bd011ea1036a5e9de7ebec51a2cb5213.png

Please also add Javier Bardem, then I will be back playing ONI :ghost: Many thanks dear Klei :cheerful:

image.png.c146aa7e6e093a863d4fd921bdaa56b1.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, babba said:

It is wonderful that Klei has implemented Clint Eastwood :congratulatory:

image.png.229769253dd758d8f0e2aaa4da643112.pngimage.png.630630452205431f1cd4ed9d5567fef8.pngimage.thumb.png.bd011ea1036a5e9de7ebec51a2cb5213.png

I see your Clint and raise you a Croc

No, not this croc
Classic Hemp Leaf Clog - Crocs

This Croc

Paul Hogan was the star of Crocodile Dundee

It's pretty obvious it's Crocodile Dundee that is the inspiration due to the fangs on the band.

Edited by Saturnus
  • Haha 6
  • Big Ups 2
  • Potato Cup 2

6 hours ago, OxCD said:

For the new critter versions.

Can you please set the breeding chance base to 100%-0% if we don't use a modifier ?

the pokeshells move quite fast on the modifier depending on the environment.  water, ethanol, and everything else makes them move quite fast to that morph

pips are depending on food source (reed fiber or arbor tree) so that 2% only affects them in starvation ranching which i doubt anyone would starvation ranch pips.  the cuddle pip gets 35/65% for pip/cuddle which is similar to the grubgrubs which is good imo to add to drawbacks to such a great critter

the annoyance is how often the cuddle pips get in the mood and getting a dupe to hug them.  though the critter incubation rate up is quite nice, once you have enough eggs/critters, i'd ignore them.  the lower dirt output and higher eating means to me, no ranching cuddle pips normally.  only going to ranch normal pips (maybe on reed fiber) and send all eggs to some main point if not an evolution chamber which again shouldn't affect you once youre late enough into the game

the cuddle pips feel weak, can they get a buff for higher decor and a stress reduction for the dupe?  possibly more often hugs if fed/not hungry?

edit: please make sanishells make more sanishells in polluted water as well as plain water.  just imagine using the wall toilets into a pool with sanishells

Edited by zach123b

1 hour ago, zach123b said:

the pokeshells move quite fast on the modifier depending on the environment.  water, ethanol, and everything else makes them move quite fast to that morph

Is that an additional information or is it related to my comment ? Because I see no link between your info and my request.

1 hour ago, zach123b said:

pips are depending on food source (reed fiber or arbor tree) so that 2% only affects them in starvation ranching which i doubt anyone would starvation ranch pips.

Well when dreckos/slicksters are not starving (raised normally and fed with basic food), as far as I know the 98%-2% ratio is in application. So in that case it affects occasionally "basic" ranchs with an undesired egg type.

As explained I would like to see this changed for 100%-0% ratio but so far that wasn't the main purpose of my post.

With pips, keeping 98/2 would mess up many actual full-automated ranchs, where eggs are not yet filtered by type.

Does your comment mean that base breeding chance is actually 100%-0% for pips ? (it's a real question, I haven't tested the update yet).

Edited by OxCD

3 hours ago, OxCD said:

Is that an additional information or is it related to my comment ? Because I see no link between your info and my request.

Well when dreckos/slicksters are not starving (raised normally and fed with basic food), as far as I know the 98%-2% ratio is in application. So in that case it affects occasionally "basic" ranchs with an undesired egg type.

As explained I would like to see this changed for 100%-0% ratio but so far that wasn't the main purpose of my post.

With pips, keeping 98/2 would mess up many actual full-automated ranchs, where eggs are not yet filtered by type.

Does your comment mean that base breeding chance is actually 100%-0% for pips ? (it's a real question, I haven't tested the update yet).

sorry, i meant that the egg chance for pokeshells moves quickly for the eggs, like 10% per cycle depending on environment.  i do agree though about a lot of stuff having 2% base chance for different types like pacu in particular, getting that 2% gulp pacu is really annoying for small systems and makes most of those not even worth doing cause of it

after testing lightly... pips do not have a higher chance of laying pip eggs while eating arbor trees and cuddle pips do not have a higher chance of laying pip eggs while eating arbor trees.  so 98/2% for pips is the highest you can get.  cuddle pips are 65/35% cuddle/reg pips.  so arbor trees don't move the % any which seems like an oversight but idk.  which would mean eventually you'd get a cuddle pip from an arbor tree farm with wild pips which would then have at most a 35% chance of turning back

so i'm incorrect, even when ranching pips, eventually you'll get a cuddle pip on the 2%.  i thought arbor trees affected the chance to get pips over cuddle pips.  cuddle pips will have 35% or less chance of getting regular pips as well which can't be increased similar to glossy dreckos on bristle berries

Edited by zach123b
clarity
  • Like 2

Found a bug: Just needed to reload for Hatch meat to show up in the consumables menu. Same with Hexalent fruit: They will eat it, but I cannot control it via the menu until I do a reload.

Otherwise things seem to be quite stable at the moment (new colony). Well done!

Update: Had a Water Sieve that had far too hot output (12C over or so). Worked correctly again after save&reload. That one would have killed my colony if I had noticed it later. ...  And again 10 cycles later or so. 36C output -> save&reload -> 22C output as it should be. Automation-cycling seems to clear the issue with the temperature-stuck output as well. Filed a bug for this one with a save that shows the issue: 

Edited by Gurgel

Seems to me that Drecko ranching is now going to revolve around tameglum. Since drecko scale growth is not impacted by happiness, if the goal is producing fiber/plastic rather than phosphorite/meat, keeping the tame dreckos unhappy simply reduces feed requirements by 80% with no reduction in yield. A bonus is being able to cram as many Dreckos as you like into the ranch since overcrowding is inconsequential. 

For instance if I have my calculations correct, 1 balm lily should sustain 7 tame glum dreckos, a ranch with 14 tame glum dreckos would only need 2 balm lily, in 2 tiles of chlorine, leaving 94 tiles for hydrogen.

I'd be much happier if the Drecko scale growth got the full "Plug Slug" treatment, scaling with metabolism and calories.

On 5/5/2022 at 6:13 PM, OxCD said:
On 5/5/2022 at 2:42 PM, JarrettM said:

Sim: Removed energy damping to allow adjacent cells in a vacuum to better balance temperature.

Does anyone get this one...

On 5/5/2022 at 2:42 PM, JarrettM said:

Moved Gas Range’s output exhaust down one cell

... and this one

Not sure about the sim one. Maybe the limits on heat transfer have been modified. (E.g. previously cells won't exchange heat if there was a difference of less than 1C or one tile had less than 1g of mass)

The gas range emits CO2 when run. Looks like the tile where it emits from has been changed.

• Like 1

Just now, blakemw said:

Seems to me that Drecko ranching is now going to revolve around tameglum. Since drecko scale growth is not impacted by happiness, if the goal is producing fiber/plastic rather than phosphorite/meat, keeping the tame dreckos unhappy simply reduces feed requirements by 80% with no reduction in yield. A bonus is being able to cram as many Dreckos as you like into the ranch since overcrowding is inconsequential. 

For instance if I have my calculations correct, 1 balm lily should sustain 7 tame glum dreckos, a ranch with 14 tame glum dreckos would only need 2 balm lily, in 2 tiles of chlorine, leaving 94 tiles for hydrogen.

I'd be much happier if the Drecko scale growth got the full "Plug Slug" treatment, scaling with metabolism and calories.

That's already the case. Plenty of ranches, including the one in Francis John's current series, use a 'breeding ranch', where dreckos are fed, groomed and optionally shorn, but aren't kept in hydrogen, while shipping all of the eggs to a special room with multiple shearing station and filled to the brim with hydrogen, who's sole purpose is to shear as many dreckos as possible before they starve to death.

TL;DR : Glum ranching was already a thing and it isn't this update that will enable it.

8 minutes ago, r4d6 said:

TL;DR : Glum ranching was already a thing and it isn't this update that will enable it.

I know it's already a thing. I've been doing "semi-starvation ranching" for a long time because it's far better than His Lord and Saviour FJ's build, you don't need two separate ranches and don't need grooming after making the initial population, just one ranch that you throw 20 dreckos into or whatever with 1-2 plants to maintain a population (with eggs being swept out to prevent cramped). But the calories requirements reduction makes it even more powerful, because you need very few plants to guarantee proper feeding. Under the old rules sometimes dreckos with nearly full calories would eat the plant, and unlucky dreckos would starve, theoretically all but 1 ultra-greedy Drecko could starve (before laying an egg), which wasn't really a problem in practice but was an unsatisfying possibility.

Edited by blakemw

4 hours ago, zach123b said:

after testing lightly... pips do not have a higher chance of laying pip eggs while eating arbor trees and cuddle pips do not have a higher chance of laying pip eggs while eating arbor trees.  so 98/2% for pips is the highest you can get.  cuddle pips are 65/35% cuddle/reg pips.  so arbor trees don't move the % any which seems like an oversight but idk. 

Iirc no critter gets a higher chance for the base morph based on food. Hatches don`t get a higher chance for regular ones when eating sandstone and glossy dreckos won`t get a higher chance for regular morphs based on food since they can`t eat the food the base morph eats.

9 hours ago, r4d6 said:

That's already the case. Plenty of ranches, including the one in Francis John's current series, use a 'breeding ranch', where dreckos are fed, groomed and optionally shorn, but aren't kept in hydrogen, while shipping all of the eggs to a special room with multiple shearing station and filled to the brim with hydrogen, who's sole purpose is to shear as many dreckos as possible before they starve to death.

No it's not. Current ranches you describe use a few breeders that are fed and groomed, and a starvation ranch for shearing, with no fed+glum critter anywhere.

What blakemw propose is to have only fed+glum dreckos, without any grooming, and without starvation ranch either (since fed+glum dreckos are only ever going to produce a single egg) . That means absolutely no grooming labor. I don't remember seeing any design that way.

Before that update, it would be impossible to get more than a few dreckos in a single ranch, since they'd eat as much as possible, not leaving enough to eat for the others.

With the update, they'll eat less, and thus leave food for the others, making large fed+glum drecko ranches a possibility.

On 5/6/2022 at 11:31 PM, melquiades said:

It sounded to harsh... but the thought remains, include a DLC in the game that everyone else gets for free, people get to include the dupe they design for it to appear in the printer for a fee.

What?

1 hour ago, Magheat2009 said:

What?

Kind of what Rimworld does, with the name in game DLC. You don't get anything but a pawn made by you in game, that gets to be available to all players from the pool of characters, it is just a new mean to support the developer.

• Like 1

Conveyor thermo sensors seem to no longer be reliable. I use them in my cooling ponds for the outputs of volcanoes and rocket port unloaders. Sometimes they can delay for multiple seconds before activating or deactivating, which means that if you've got it paired up with a Conveyor Shutoff you could end up cooking your base (as I've now done twice). I'll write up a bug. Any chance these were changed from 1000ms to 4000ms simulation?

Update: I have been informed that the issue I'm seeing is due to the sensor being on the output from a bridge, and it was a known issue before this build.

Edited by meekay

I have two points of feedback.

1. Have all critters use the standard 98/2 % or 96/2/2 % chance to lay morph eggs regardless of dietary or environmental conditions.  This gives starts without native arbor trees or ethanol a chance to get oakshells (and thus lumber) pre-space flight.
  2. Give dupes a modest buff lasting ~0.75 cycles after being hugged by a cuddle pip.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, goboking said:

I have two points of feedback.

1. Have all critters use the standard 98/2 % or 96/2/2 % chance to lay morph eggs regardless of dietary or environmental conditions.  This gives starts without native arbor trees or ethanol a chance to get oakshells (and thus lumber) pre-space flight.
  2. Give dupes a modest buff lasting ~0.75 cycles after being hugged by a cuddle pip.

Isn't the first one already the case?

At least I know that's the case for shinebugs & hatches & Dreckos.