[Game Update] - Public Testing 506365

4 hours ago, r4d6 said:

Isn't the first one already the case?

At least I know that's the case for shinebugs & hatches & Dreckos.

That's the way it works in the live version of the game, but based on what's been posted the past few days, it sounds like it isn't the case for the new critter morphs in the test branch.

On 5/5/2022 at 9:42 PM, JarrettM said:

complete with a pair of new Overjoyed and Stress traits

Is "Serenated" a permanent buff? Or.. how long does it last? I'm sure my dupes were serenated once but they have the buff for several cycles now. 

Spoiler

If you start hearing sounds, don't worry. It's just a yodeler. If you keep hearing sounds, it's other dupes serenated by a yodeler that have the tune stuck in their heads and they keep repeating it.

1122599697_lalala.thumb.PNG.0b2172a097d1440210a47d2f22c78095.PNG
serenated.png.da3f515a5e8de2c3feda81f33e3fba78.png image.png.9efe4549e7555764fe56687b90b2942b.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Is "Serenated" a permanent buff? Or.. how long does it last? I'm sure my dupes were serenated once but they have the buff for several cycles now. 

Hide contents

If you start hearing sounds, don't worry. It's just a yodeler. If you keep hearing sounds, it's other dupes serenated by a yodeler that have the tune stuck in their heads and they keep repeating it.

1122599697_lalala.thumb.PNG.0b2172a097d1440210a47d2f22c78095.PNG
serenated.png.da3f515a5e8de2c3feda81f33e3fba78.png image.png.9efe4549e7555764fe56687b90b2942b.png

I had the serenaded buff too.  It didn't have a length indication, but it went away when I saved and reloaded.

On 5/6/2022 at 7:26 PM, Gurgel said:
On 5/6/2022 at 3:16 AM, insta said:

Klei, are you guys still using List.Contains() when searching for chores for duplicants to do?

Out of curiosity, what would be the alternative? (I have no experience with this game engine.)

- Hash (no predicting the order you find things in)?

- Heap (priority queue)?

Here is a different

List.Contains(item) give Boolean as a return value as it name suggest.

• It can give you result of the "exact" item if use in generic type (List<T>)

List.Find(predicate) it give you an item that you inserted as a return value (kind of query thingy)

• It can return a null if that item doesn't exist which you can use If() to check, So it can provide what Contains give and a bonus useful item if it found

So based on insta question I would say NO.
Because how you gonna have that exact item and throw into Contains function (a collection of all chores in the world can do it but it just plain bad).
With List.Find is more matched to the question eg. List.Find(x=>x.choreType==sweep) something like this can be use afterward.

Did klei use Find for chores ? IDK I didn't look into it.

2 minutes ago, SackMaggie said:

Here is a different

List.Contains(item) give Boolean as a return value as it name suggest.

• It can give you result of the "exact" item if use in generic type (List<T>)

List.Find(predicate) it give you an item that you inserted as a return value (kind of query thingy)

• It can return a null if that item doesn't exist which you can use If() to check, So it can provide what Contains give and a bonus useful item if it found

So based on insta question I would say NO.
Because how you gonna have that exact item and throw into Contains function (a collection of all chores in the world can do it but it just plain bad).
With List.Find is more matched to the question eg. List.Find(x=>x.choreType==sweep) something like this can be use afterward.

Did klei use Find for chores ? IDK I didn't look into it.

Thanks. Hmm. I learned to never use linear stuff ("find") whenever I can do trees or hash-tables or things like heaps or union-find-structures. Of course, that was more than 30 years ago and sheer computing power somewhat invalidates the argument in some situations.

4 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Thanks. Hmm. I learned to never use linear stuff ("find") whenever I can do trees or hash-tables or things like heaps or union-find-structures. Of course, that was more than 30 years ago and sheer computing power somewhat invalidates the argument in some situations.

That's true, performance is possibly last thing to look at. "If it work, it works!" is more fit these day.

Edited by SackMaggie
  • Haha 2

On 5/5/2022 at 9:42 PM, JarrettM said:

If you own Oxygen Not Included plus the Spaced Out! DLC and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

Is Spaced Out DLC mandatory to be able to join the Testing Branch or is the above just a typo?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Developer
1 hour ago, sakura_sk said:

Is Spaced Out DLC mandatory to be able to join the Testing Branch or is the above just a typo?

The Spaced Out! DLC is not required to join this testing branch. Thanks for pointing that typo out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2022 at 2:54 PM, EricKlei said:

If anyone is testing on a Mac and has experienced a black backwall texture, everything except UI is black, or blueprint ghosting visual bugs as detailed in this bug report please let me know if the testing build without the -force-glcore launch option fixes them. We made some significant changes in those areas which according to one report has fixed two of them.

I'm testing on a Mac mini M1. I never had the issues you described BUT I experienced the world being completely revealed after the first save. There is an easy workaround, which is to again save the game and this bug disappears for the rest of the session. It seems this bug is now FIXED (thanks!!) in this branch. I also noticed a big FPS improvement. Before I was getting around 40 FPS (without the -force-glcore launch option, 20 FPS with) and now I'm getting 50+ FPS. It's so fast! Amazing!

• Thanks 1

New dupes!?  They haven't had new dupes since before I joined the community.  Will be nice to greet some new faces.  I also like the idea of new morphs and new clothes.

I have a few requests, just some small ones, like making things with the light emitter tag actually emit light.  Also, flammable things.  I wish to watch the planetoid burn.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FreezingSlickT said:

light emitter tag actually emit light.

this would be pretty nice, honestly. I wonder how difficult/time consuming it would be to implement, I cannot help but think about how radiation emanating from objects works being rather similar.

Edited by Primalflower

So I just saw it in-game, Cuddle Pips hugs eggs that are on the ground and give a 100% bonus to incubation speed to the egg.

So a pip egg that has a 5% incubation speed now incubate at 10% per cycle.

On 5/7/2022 at 10:19 AM, OxCD said:

Can you please set the breeding chance base to 100%-0% if we don't use a modifier ?

Breeding Shine Bugs will became nightmare.

I'm prefer randomness in living part of game. Lets automation be exact and predictable, not critters

• Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 8:54 PM, EricKlei said:

If anyone is testing on a Mac and has experienced a black backwall texture, everything except UI is black, or blueprint ghosting visual bugs as detailed in this bug report please let me know if the testing build without the -force-glcore launch option fixes them. We made some significant changes in those areas which according to one report has fixed two of them.

I had actually stopped playing because of this issue and just happened across this update today. Was very excited to test the fix and am delighted to say that I no longer have this problem. Great work! 

• Thanks 1

so... finally we have optimization update? man, I've been waiting for this for a long time, on my PC the game works but it crashes after a few seconds if there is only one duplicate in the world, only one, I have been able to do ridiculous experiments with the editor but what's the point if I can't play a colony normal? please keep this up i want it to run as good as factorio in my toaster dear.

• Sad Dupe 1

7 hours ago, ANGEL-ALEJANDRO said:

so... finally we have optimization update? man, I've been waiting for this for a long time, on my PC the game works but it crashes after a few seconds if there is only one duplicate in the world, only one, I have been able to do ridiculous experiments with the editor but what's the point if I can't play a colony normal? please keep this up i want it to run as good as factorio in my toaster dear.

You should file a bug report or they may never fix your issue.

• Like 1

@Artorias36 Starting over is not necessary when it comes to performance upgrades ... The only times when starting over might be needed is when map generation is affected. For example, when sulfur geysers were first introduced in the DLC...

23 minutes ago, JRup said:

@Artorias36 Starting over is not necessary when it comes to performance upgrades ... The only times when starting over might be needed is when map generation is affected. For example, when sulfur geysers were first introduced in the DLC...

Thats bad for me then. It doesn't seem to have improved by much my fps.