Are Spider Queen, Treeguards, & Lord of the Fruitfly Bosses or Bigger Than Normal Mobs?

Boss or nah?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider a Spider Queen to be a boss?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you consider a Poison Birchnutter to be a boss?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you consider a Treeguard to be a boss?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Do you consider The Lord of the Fruitflies to be a boss?

• Yes
    • No

As per the title, does you consider Spider Queens, Poison Birchnutters, Treeguards and/or the Lord of the Fruitfly to be bosses or are they just bigger than normal mobs?

This was an interesting question they came up in this thread here where I was talking about the Malbatross Beak being rarer in the Klaus Sack.

Personally speaking, if they are considered to be bosses, they should have statues to them and loot to reflect that (though their spawning conditions are drastically different compared to the other giants of the game, so idk).

If they are not bosses, then I say it's a good time to make a separate category for them in the world generation settings, one for bosses and ones for the creatures listed above.

Solidifying if these creatures are truly bosses would also be very helpful, as it would clear any confusion on what is and isn't a boss, such as for boss rushing videos. 

20220502200702_1.thumb.jpg.a32e323758e4e59bbfdd4195429490f4.jpg

They are bosses, historically. It's just that with the transition to multiplayer and the creation of new more complex bosses, their mechanics and HP are somewhat outdated, which is why players no longer consider them such a significant threat. But just because players decided so is not enough reason to change their in-game classification. They are still special mobs that appear differently from normal monsters, animals, or neutral creatures. To allocate them a new, fifth category would be... strange? The only one of them whom I personally find difficult to consider a boss is Poison Birchnutter, but only because it has unique mechanics. It doesn't have hp in the usual sense, and needs to be cut down like a tree to be "killed". But you know, regardless of your debates and their outcome, I think they all deserve their statues and ornaments. The more of these things the better.

They are bosses, just as much as the main Giants are, at least in my book. Sure, to a bunch of us more experienced players nowadays they do not pose any threat at all and are rather laughable compared to the current standards for raid bosses, however I consider these bosses nonetheless, just a different kind. A sort of "introductory" boss if you will.

It may be that there is no way to guarantee which bosses you encounter when or if you even see them at all, but they serve as a lower level threat compared to giants such as deerclops. Something to get aquainted with general kiting, crowd control, caution, etc. without being too complex in their mechanics. And in a way these bosses sort of have to be, as under the right conditions they can appear almost any time, maybe with the exception of the lord of the fruit flies. But my point is that these bosses can't be as elaborate as a lot of others simply because it would be way too much to constantly handle, yet to me they're still bosses just the same.

On a side note I think it'd be interesting if Kiel made 3 changes to poison birch to really make it stand out. Imagine if you would poison birch:

1. couldn't be burned

2. didn't go away

3. would slowly infect other birch trees on the island if they weren't taken care of

Honestly it feels like a lot of interactions could become a lot more interesting with small tweaks like this.

Miniboss would be my term for them. Even the game states as such by giving them the seasonal boss music but not making them drop statue blueprints.

Poison bnirchut, Vargs and Ewecii dont come with the music but I like categorizing them as minibosses too

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Miniboss would be my term for them. Even the game states as such by giving them the seasonal boss music but not making them drop statue blueprints.

Statues don't mean anything, they've added statues to bosses in many different updates. If I remember correctly bee queen, AFW, and SCP got their statues after deerclops. 

16 minutes ago, Waoling said:

What does SCP stand for?

Shadow chess pieces, the fight before AFW. But now that you pointed them out I don't actually think they get statues other than the ones that spawn them. Maybe they do and I just forgot since I usually ignore statue recipes and don't fight the SCP much.

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Statues don't mean anything, they've added statues to bosses in many different updates. If I remember correctly bee queen, AFW, and SCP got their statues after deerclops. 

I thinks it's also the case for ancient guardian

i considere all of them bosses or better yet, giants

i remember the first time i encounter a treeguard, i think for that time only spiderqueen and treeguards were added, by that time i trully considere them bosses cuz no way i could kill them even with the reduced hp from DS. For us they might be too easy to be considered a boss but think about noobs.

Also there are many videogames which 1st boss is so damm easy so we can think about that for treeguards (still they are able to really hurt other bigger bosses) and other weaker giants

size, hp pool and damage, unique mechanics, having epic tag, triggering boss music (except poison birchnut for some reason), loot and being categorized as giants in world gen are reasons enough to considere them bosses/giants/epic mobs or whatever name you use to name them

Archived