Future Character QoL Side-Quests I would love to see

Hi all,

Me and many others were surprised to see the Wurt QoL changes bundled together with the WX rework.

It was much loved, and seeing this is now a possibility, I wish to brainstorm some other suggestion packages for other characters in case Klei is thinking to "side-quest" them in future beta branches. ;)

So Youre Saying Theres A Chance GIFs | Tenor

(of course not all things should go together, only suggesting ideas for future betas, feel free to post yours in this thread too)

Winona:

Problem: She is a switch character and there is no incentive to actually stay as Winona, and her perks aren't that great (apart from catapults of course)

Suggestions:

- Increase light radius of spotlight (like @Electroely's mini-winona mod rework)

- Make spotlights AI target different people instead of all concentrating on one (IF dude has spotlight on him, try to find another dude)

- Allow winona to "pack-up" her catapults, generators and items similar to warly cookware ( @ShadowDuelist idea)

- Winona gains a little sanity while building? (for uninterrupted mega-basing, to fit her builder role)

- Any new engineering type item would be nice (maybe something that uses 3-5 frazzled wires to build and is only usable by winona?)

(How about an infinite durability automatic hammer, idea from @Bones Junior. Maybe called a "Jack-Hammer" that Winona calls "Jack"?)

- Winona working/mining/chopping faster while hunger full (at the cost of hunger)

- Winona picking stuff faster while hunger full (at the cost of hunger)

- Turn generator on/off and take gems out of it

- Charged lightning rods should be able to transfer engery towards generators ( @HansimUnglueck idea)

REMINDER: not all of these perks should be enabled at once, that would be probably too much. Just 1-3 QoL suggestions from this list.

Warly:

Problem: Warly is a late-game support "switch" character, similar to Winona, and we need more reasons for players to remain as Warly

Suggestions:

- Add a perk to Warly to allow him to harvest more food products from animals he murders (I remember hearing this idea somewhere on this forum). He is an accomplished butcher after all. Imagine any animals and fishes he murders become more valuable. This would also incentivize players actually trapping and luring animals to bring them to warly, and it gives a use to the tin fishing bin to keep the fish fresh until it is brought to the chef. Can use the Gorge butcher knife for instance for that.

- Add standalone DS Warly bonus to stats from crockpot foods, while increasing the penalties for repeat foods. (Maybe making food memory not depend just on time, but also on order of the last dishes ate, so we don't just spam double meaty stews). Normal stat bonus in Shipwreck was +33%, but that may be a bit high. Maybe even increase the penalty drop on repeat foods. Right now first repeat is so small (10% penalty) that basically all Warly players are double-eating crock pot dishes, which shouldn't be the case.

Webber:

Problem: When webber disconnects, all hell breaks lose.

Suggestions:

- Make webber spiders despawn with Webber when he logs off (like beefalos on beefalo bell)

- Spiders are also waay too loud when befriended by Webber. I have to shoo away all my Webbers in pubs, and when I random Webber just to be nice I have to play a hermit playstyle and live away from base.

- Add an option to Webber to make his followers "Wait here" (maybe tied to one of his items). Right now I have to have 5 chests in an area where I can pickup spiders and store them in chests if I want some privacy. It takes too much time and too many resources. I just want to press a button on an item and all spiders will idle in an area (maybe even use sleep animation). When I want I go back there to call them back.

Walter:

Problem: Walter's perks are all over the place and he feels generally frail compared to other characters, while lacking an identity in the lore and flavor aspect.

Suggestions:

- (for new players) Make him spawn with his camping tent. What kind of boy scout comes in the forest unprepared? (he was exploring in the forest during his animated short)

- Remove the pinetree pioneer hat perk, and make that effect be permanent on Walter. He loses a ton of sanity anyway.

- Add more campfire stories every couple or so updates. Those are fun. (we loved the lore loading screen tips, we need more lore and story)

- Woby shouldn't knock you off when hit only once, it should be like 2-3 hits or something, or a "take 200 damage" threshold or something. Right now I basically rush normal Beefalos when I random Walter in my pubs because of this downside (and also because of the slow speed of Woby).

Wolfgang:

Problem: Mighty man have stand still. Me no like stand still.

Suggestion:

- Make dumbbell be lift while on run (for small gain for might man). Is workout on go, what you not get.

Maxwell and Wickerbottom:

These two will probably get full reworks, so I will wait on Klei to see what they come up with. I trust them to do a good job after recent rework quality.

(please add options for Maxunwell to better control his shadow slaves employees)

EDIT: And just to keep it complete, I will add the WX changes I would still like to see in this thread

WX-78:

- Right click to deploy Jimmy from inventory

- Maxwell removes sanity dapperness when around Chorusbox circuit

- Chorusbox circuit should have a range larger than 0.5 tiles

- Winona GEMerator should be slightly nerfed, right now you can gain 6 charges per gem

Did I miss anything? Post it below and I will add it to the OP list with credit for readability.

12 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Maybe future qol where we find out where Fuelweaver was arrested to? Give the poor guy a exorcism?

It would be cool to have an ancient as an ally because of all the lore we could learn, although he will probably be depressed and regretful of being the cause of the fall of an entire civilization... It would still be kinda cool though.

1 hour ago, loopuleasa said:

- Any new engineering type item would be nice (maybe something that uses 3-5 frazzled wires to build and is only usable by winona?)

Let Winona upgrade technical structures with gears and/or frazzled wires: for example, let her increase the cooling effect of the ice box by some degree resulting in faster cooldown for thermalstones or longer freshness of stored food. Let her increase the radius of ice flingomatics.

Charged lightning rods should be able to transfer engery towards generators, resulting in synergies with Wickerbottom and Moslings and overall more enganging gameplay.

It would also be nice to see some of the deeply missed strctures from Hamlet and Shipwrecked (the Smelter, Ice Maker 3000, Oscillating Fan and Sprinkler) making a comeback with some rework in the future. One can dream.

Turn generator on/off and take gems out of it

Please. Yes. Give us a power button for the generators. Removing gems might be hard because that could easily be abused. Just let us turn of the generator and store the energy (for some time).

- Add a perk to Warly to allow him to harvest more food products from animals he murders (I remember hearing this idea somewhere on this forum). He is an accomplished butcher after all. Imagine any animals and fishes he murders become more valuable. This would also incentivize players actually trapping and luring animals to bring them to warly, and it gives a use to the tin fishing bin to keep the fish fresh until it is brought to the chef.

Additionally, give Walry some cooking buff, resulting in food with slightly better stats (5-10%). He is a chef for some reason.

Remember the Slaughter Tools? Just give Warly some similar item, resulting in more loot from killing animals when used on said animal like loopuleasa suggested.

Warly could also use some variety on his plate, don't you think? In the current meta, you only ever really eat meatballs or meaty stew. Most other dishes just don't cut the chase. To brighten up our favourite chef's mood and because he is a very picky eater, one could introduce a perk, semi-forcing the player to switch between meat and veggies (gameplay wise Warly would talk about wanting to eat something green, some veggies or just something meaty, saucy etc.)

Problem: Walter's perks are all over the place and he feels generally frail compared to other characters, while lacking an identity in the lore and flavor aspect.

Walter doesn't have a core identity and it shows. In his curent state his only real usage is carrying statues/pieces with Woby.

- (for new players) Make him spawn with his camping tent. What kind of boy scout comes in the forest unprepared? (he was exploring in the forest during his animated short)

This would help new players trying to figure out how to play. Harvesting berry bushes for a chance of obtaining double the loot would also help some new people in the first few days and result in some immersion (Boy Scouts know how to pick berries the best).

I would recommand to revamp the ammunation because his current item tab really isn't great. Marbles are expensive for what they do but Freeze Rounds are rather bad: they are not only slower than the Ice Staff but can also miss the target which makes it really frustrating to use. Slow-Down Rounds are not really worth it in my books because most mobs in the game die fast enough making this ammonation boss fight material only. Cursed Rounds are something for discussion because if there is a Wanda on the server you will never have the chance to make use of this type of ammo. All in all I don't like using the Slingshot, most of the time I would just use a darksword anyways.

Finally, I would love to see some interaction with Suspicious Dirt Piles. Because his identity is based on a Boy Scout, Walter should be skilled enough to find a lot more of these in the Constant (make them spawn more often around him), he should also be able to track them down a lot faster. Gameplay-wise I would love if you could ride on Woby while doing so, using Woby's snout to sniff out the dirtpiles while Walter can stay atop his loyal pet.

I like the ideas. Two things I want to point out:

48 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

- Add an option to Webber to make his followers "Wait here" (maybe tied to one of his items). Right now I have to have 5 chests in an area where I can pickup spiders and store them in chests if I want some privacy. It takes too much time and too many resources. I just want to press a button on an item and all spiders will idle in an area (maybe even use sleep animation). When I want I go back there to call them back.

This is already a thing. If you lure your spiders in a pen with decorated dens around,  (or just leave them in a pen with decorated dens) they will be pacified and remain there indefinitely. Decorated den's influence prevent your spiders from breaking walls and fences.
They also don't starve while in a pen, and it's cheap to make as well.

The main problem Webber has is creating incredible amounts of lag, a proficient webber can single handedly kill an entire server with lag, specially if they forget their breeding grounds and they all turn to queens eventually. I am not sure how to fix this.

About Warly, I still think he should get bonus time out of time based effects of foods (spices, glowberry mousse, rain immunity, Volt goat jelly damage, heat inducing or cold inducing foods, jellybeans, etc). 
This means that all time based effects will be longer on him, both allowing him to be more efficient, saving more special foods for others while having something special worth keeping Warly after he bundled the foods.

14 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

This is already a thing. If you lure your spiders in a pen with decorated dens around,  (or just leave them in a pen with decorated dens) they will be pacified and remain there indefinitely. Decorated den's influence prevent your spiders from breaking walls and fences.
They also don't starve while in a pen, and it's cheap to make as well.

Interesting.

Are the spiders easy to enter the pen?

Do they unload/despawn/glitch in any way?

Any screenshots?

15 minutes ago, HansimUnglueck said:

Additionally, give Walry some cooking buff, resulting in food with slightly better stats (5-10%). He is a chef for some reason.

This would also contribute to Warly being a switch character since bundle wraps exist.

17 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

Interesting.

Are the spiders easy to enter the pen?

Do they unload/despawn/glitch in any way?

Any screenshots?

Spiders don't unload or despawn.

The decorated den has a pacification aura around that will make all spiders near it not attack anything, including walls, so:

There are several ways to tackle this: 
1) Easy mode, very few spiders: Make a pen with walls or fences (like the one you use to keep grass geckos in, just a pen). Put a spider den inside then decorate it. Make sure the walls are not larger than the silk on the ground radius, then you can safely drop your spiders in there. 

2) Larger scale easy mode (the one i see more often): make a larger pen, put a decorated den on each wall or corner, then you just go there and lock your spiders when you are not going to use them.

3) pro mode: make a cross of walls and in the center make a small square of walls holding a few pig skins individually. Put a decorated den on each of the quarters, then drop your spiders separated by kind. you can have up to 4 different spiders there, they will be lured to the pig skin so they won't go out.

Lardee made a video of it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etGliAj6cdE

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

Any suggestion with ‘switch character’ as the motivation is ill-informed. 

Walter has a very cohesive identity. 

Why is this in the beta subforum? 

Switch character motivation is legitimate. Mind explaining why dismiss it? Many people switch to warly and winona and don't remain as them.

Walter has a cohesive identity boy scouts wise, yes, but not mechanics wise (maybe I had to be more precise). His mechanics are all over the place.

This is in the beta subforum because we got a Wurt QoL update, and this is basically a continuation session on what might be possible for other characters similar. It will happen in future betas, and this forum is used for those betas as well.

I love all these suggested changes. I'd also like Walter to have a small chance at harvesting twice the amount of resources from Tufts and Saplings in addition to Berries.

For Warly, maybe a small sanity increase (3-5) for characters who are near his crockpot when a dish is finished? Nothing soothes the mind more than the smell/sight of an expertly prepared dish.

Winona for sure suffers the most from not having much active reason to stay as her, but I'm not sure if the Warly changes you mentioned would incentivize not switching out from him. If we're assuming you're at "late-game," where you most likely have farming methods for harvesting animals, food shouldn't necessarily be an issue. The changes would more likely help the early-mid game, where food is not abundant (I still would love these changes).

I feel like it's difficult to make Warly to not be a switch out character. I like staying as Warly because of his personality and unique downside with his great support. His main gimmick is cooking, and if you are already at the late game, food shouldn't really be an issue to incentivize staying as him.

Man I totally want most of this ideas in this discussion, like they are really good ideas now, walter and winona doesn't have a rework? Maybe they fix more things in their reworks, at least the walter one.

Because if Walter has gotten a rework and become that then they should rework him another time.

7 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

My random ideas:

(We can say these would make me play them more, but I didn't really think any of these through.)

Winona

• An on-off switch and load balancing to all generators.
  • More structures. A few I can think of now: battery backpack, freezer, sprinkler, electric crock pot.
  • For the switch character problem: what if all buildings would need some maintenance every now and then (with tapes). Others should be able to do it too (for teamwork purposes) but with much worse efficiency, and they'd break down eventually without Winona.

Warly

• More exclusive dishes and spices.
  • More kitchenware. Eg. I like the idea of getting more meat when killing trapped animals, maybe a cutting board for that. Or maybe he could share something with Winona.
  • A smarter cookbook which you can filter by ingredients.
  • Make the chef pouch more like the halloween candy backpack: more space but only food items are allowed.

WX-78

• "Craft" gears for like 1.5 times more stats that they gain from it. (Possibly broken, endless food-to-gears conversion, but maybe it would be helpful in pubs.)

Wormwood

• (You guessed it, ) more unique crafts. Given he's a plant guy, there are even less limitations. Maybe he could always pacify treeguards, grow a whip out of his hand, weaponize that aggressive weed that grows from farms sometimes or deconstruct stuff using the green gem in his chest at maximum lunacy. Hopefully at least one of these could be balanced.

Here's the improvement I'd suggest for Wigfrid, or rather fireproof falsetto specifically.

Re-conceptualize fireproof falsetto completely, splitting its premise into two separate songs, somewhat like what happened to Applied Horticulture:

• Insulating Intrata: New battle song that is much more accessible (requiring a koelephant trunk) that takes from the `fire resistence` aspect of falsetto and applies a nice amount of 4 seasons weather resistance to players: 120 points of winter insulation, 120 points of summer insulation, 60% water resistence and damage resistence from freezing or overheating.
  • Fireproof Falsetto: This new version would be an instant use song like Rude Interlude and Startling Soliloquy that takes its inspiration from the spitterfish aspect and instantly soaks every non-player in its range wet, as well as putting out any active fires or combusted entities in its range.

23 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

Problem: Warly is a late-game support "switch" character, similar to Winona, and we need more reasons for players to remain as Warly

Looks more like a problem with the celestial portal or your way of thinking. I love to play as Warly, one of my most played characters.

23 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

Add a perk to Warly to allow him to harvest more food products from animals he murders (I remember hearing this idea somewhere on this forum). He is an accomplished butcher after all. Imagine any animals and fishes he murders become more valuable. This would also incentivize players actually trapping and luring animals to bring them to warly, and it gives a use to the tin fishing bin to keep the fish fresh until it is brought to the chef. Can use the Gorge butcher knife for instance for that.

- Add standalone DS Warly bonus to stats from crockpot foods, while increasing the penalties for repeat foods. (Maybe making food memory not depend just on time, but also on order of the last dishes ate, so we don't just spam double meaty stews). Normal stat bonus in Shipwreck was +33%, but that may be a bit high. Maybe even increase the penalty drop on repeat foods. Right now first repeat is so small (10% penalty) that basically all Warly players are double-eating crock pot dishes, which shouldn't be the case.

These aren't reasons to stay Warly, these are just making him even more of a "switch" character. They offer no real upside and are there exclusively to make his downside, the one thing he has that's truly exclusive to him, less pronounced.

I once saw a suggestion that he should have doubled duration of food effects, such as from his dishes. That would be fun, an actual reason to stay as him, not mess with downside at all, and not be too big of a buff. I also think it would be a nice qol if he could make a chef's specialty spice which is just pepper and garlic combined.

20 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

Walter has a cohesive identity boy scouts wise, yes, but not mechanics wise (maybe I had to be more precise). His mechanics are all over the place.

Same with everyone. For example, Wolfgang is better at fighting and chopping and rowing and smashing and mining and sail raising and anchor dropping and wearing a piggyback and wearing a marble suit while he's encouraged to hold an item while he moves and hold an item while holding still and make a structure then play a timing game and do all those actions he does faster. Pretty all over the place, even without me getting into his weird insulation bonuses and penalties.

Characters shouldn't be balanced around celestial portal and being able to switch to them to use their buildings and items. It is mostly done in late game and celestial portal has immense value on long running worlds. Why do i need to be forced to ask my friends for favors or use mods so that i am able to switch and build catapults or make Warly's food.

If you have friends and played alone, you would be able to do this it just wouldn't be as obvious, just have a friend join your server help you build catapults while you would later join their server and do it.

Catapults are so valuable that nothing can compare to them for long running or megabase worlds. Warly's chili flakes are quite decent and probably the only reason i'd ever bother farming.

DST is a sandbox game and you decide your difficulty, for example if i join a server with mods that i don't like but can ignore and feel that they make the game easier, i don't use their items or buildings, i may join an endless server but i wouldn't revive myself with portal unless something unexpected happens during my first few days. Same can be said about celestial portal, if you don't like it, don't use it. If there are catapults near bee queen, you don't have to use them to kill the boss.

46 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Looks more like a problem with the celestial portal or your way of thinking. I love to play as Warly, one of my most played characters.

Indeed, the problem is the celestial portal being way too cheap, but that is a harder ask to change as people have grown fond of it.

I love to play as warly too, but only mainly because I like to roleplay as the base chef.

47 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Wolfgang is better at fighting and chopping and ........ Pretty all over the place, even without me getting into his weird insulation bonuses and penalties.

Wolfgang is not all over the place. He is in one place: MUSCLE.

57 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

These aren't reasons to stay Warly, these are just making him even more of a "switch" character

The "Butcher Knife" perk actually encourages you to stay as Warly, since only Warly can use it.

23 hours ago, Ohan said:

Any suggestion with ‘switch character’ as the motivation is ill-informed.

I am also highly curious with the switch character reasoning is not valid in your book.

On 4/26/2022 at 9:09 AM, loopuleasa said:

- Chorusbox circuit should have a range larger than 0.5 tiles

I definitely agree. I feel like it wouldn't even be op if it was the entire screen, since theres little incentive to stick close together anyways.

10 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

Wolfgang is not all over the place. He is in one place: MUSCLE.

Walter is not all over the place. He is in one place: BOY SCOUT. You said mechanically, not thematically, now you're switching back to thematically because you see Walter isn't any different than anyone else.

The "Butcher Knife" perk actually encourages you to stay as Warly, since only Warly can use it.

Who cares? Meat is so easy to get from a pig farm or a goat farm. Nobody is going to pick Warly just so they can get slightly more of the infinite meat when they already need to eat more to begin with. They're going to expand the farm if they want more.

And that's even assuming you're manually killing the animals in the farm. If you automate it in any way Warly's inconsequential bonus that just helps him with his downside becomes nonexistent.

Who is abusing the celestial portal so hard that they are bundling up tons of Warly food but also doesn't have any farms set up and needs a miniscule increase to the food they get manually?

Indeed, the problem is the celestial portal being way too cheap, but that is a harder ask to change as people have grown fond of it.

I love to play as warly too, but only mainly because I like to roleplay as the base chef.

If you play as Warly then why are you saying there's a problem with him? Clearly there isn't, I play as him and you play as him. The problem is anyone who doesn't play as him's way of thinking. They don't want to play as Warly so they don't. Not sure why he needs to be for everyone. I don't play as most characters very much since their downsides aren't as harsh as Warly and Wormwood's. Is that a problem with all 15 other characters and they all should be changed to be as hard as two of the lowest pickrate characters?

Don't think this is necessary for most characters at all

Walter and warly or even winona maybe but other then that we seriously dont need it

who knows why they buffed wurt this update anyway

it was supposed to be about a great rework then they kinda just made wurt busted and its all anyone can talk about 

idk its a bit sucky to think about it this way but yeah

14 minutes ago, NoKrampusSack said:

they kinda just made wurt busted

what seems busted to you?

all the wurt changes just seem reasonable QoL to me

the only thing that may be strong is the Webber-style multi-feeding of merms

but that's just strong, not busted

On 4/26/2022 at 5:37 PM, Ohan said:

Walter has a very cohesive identity.

Then what causes this?

image.thumb.png.612aeeb723d481b61421221075606f6a.png

40 minutes ago, NoKrampusSack said:

it was supposed to be about a great rework then they kinda just made wurt busted and its all anyone can talk about 

she was always strong they just gave her qol things

26 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

Then what causes this?

his weak slingshot lmao

edit: walter has cohesive perks that not only fit his playstyle but also his theme (only the bees allergy came out of nowhere when it can be more cohesive with the ironic joke "a boyscout with allergy to nature by giving more allergies to flowers, mosquitoes, fire nettles, etc) and even if wasnt the case who cares? is so boring to have all the characters with linked perks and downsides arround a single thing and for that i think that wanda having riftwatches is a cool thing since fits her time traveler theme but isnt linked to her glass cannon thematic

i wish more characters were in that way

I have an idea for Walter.

Since he is intended as a scout, he should be given "badges" to complete that give him small status upgrades and buffs. This could also be a great way for new players to learn how to survive.

Examples of badges could be:

Berry badge- collect 40 berries and get a badge that gives Walter a small chance to get two berries instead of 1 when he collects berries.
Grass badge- collect 40 grass and get a badge that gives Walter a small chance to get two grass instead of 1 when he collects grass.
Twigs badge- collect 40 twigs and get a badge that gives Walter a small chance to get two twigs instead of 1 when he collects twigs.
Stone badge- collect 40 stones and get a badge that gives Walter a small chance to get two stones instead of 1 when he collects stones.
Planting badge- plant 10 twigs, 10 bushes, 10 grass and 10 pine cones to get a badge that gives Walter some sanity when planting.
Farming badge- plant, grow and harvest a seed to get the farming badge that reduces stress on plants.
Hunter badge- Track an animal by following a suspicious dirt pile to get Hunters badge that more clearly indicates tracks to follow with an arow.
Attackers badge- defeat 10 different creatures to get attackers badge that increases attack damage by 10%. (20% attack damage when using slingshot)
Defenders badge- have protective gear on both body and head gives you the defenders badge that reduces damage by 10%. (20% damage reduction when having armor on both body and head)
Fishing badge- catch 5 fish with fishing rod to get the fishing badge that gives Walter to be able to catch more fish from ponds.
Campers badge- have a tent and a campfire nearby eachother to get the campfire badge that makes campfires last longer.
Winter badge- survive the winter to get winter badge that gives Walter some cold resistance.
Spring badge- survive spring to get the spring badge that gives Walter some wet resistance.
Summer badge- survive summer to get summer badge that gives Walter some heat resistance.
Captains badge- create a boat to get captains badge that gives Walter some wet resistance.

Badges would show up as a small icon on the edge of the screen.

Archived