Dst hot take

I know he's non canon to the story but I don't like Wortox as a character. Having some random imp apparently know everything about the ancients, the ongoing mystery, and not tell the others for no good reason and be able to leave at any time so he isnt even a survivor makes him feel annoying and out of place to me.

Just now, SpookyXy said:

not tell the others for no good reason and be able to leave at any time so he isnt even a survivor makes him feel annoying and out of place to me.

Next short should have Wilson and Wolfgang wrangling his neck for information in a interrogation about Wickerbottom.1525292350_Smithustajaokay.png.649669e2f3666c4da9886184a95255c4.png

Just now, Cheggf said:

Wortox isn't canon?

He's the entire reason why Eye for an Eye update happened and terraria stuff found their place into the constant. It's the now obsolete idea that all DLC characters were non-cannon as they wouldn't appear in shorts as if in the story they didn't actually exist. But then they started placing them on the cinematics too; first Wormwood in Reap What You Sow, then Wurt in Eye of the Storm then Wortox in Eye for an eye. Wanda is new but she seems to play into some of the lore herself. The DLC characters appear in the promotional art quite often with the original 12 + 2 survivors. Wurt even made a cameo in this one so I doubt anyone can seriously claim that they are non-cannon and aren't actually supposed to exist in the story, as they clearly do.

7 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Wortox isn't canon?

Nope, he exists but he isn't a part of the story for all the reasons I previously mentioned. That's why he rarely appears in shorts and never in story focused shorts.

2 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

He's the entire reason why Eye for an Eye update happened and terraria stuff found their place into the constant. It's the now obsolete idea that all DLC characters were non-cannon as they wouldn't appear in shorts as if in the story they didn't actually exist. But then they started placing them on the cinematics too; first Wormwood in Reap What You Sow, then Wurt in Eye of the Storm then Wortox in Eye for an eye. Wanda is new but she seems to play into some of the lore herself. The DLC characters appear in the promotional art quite often with the original 12 + 2 survivors. Wurt even made a cameo in this one so I doubt anyone can seriously claim that they are non-cannon and aren't actually supposed to exist in the story, as they clearly do.

Yeah the DLC characters exists. What I meant was Wortox not being a part of the survivor group.

I know this sounds dumb, but I don't like having everything added in Big update notes, Hell I don't like Beta's that much just because it spoils all the changes they actually make. Keeping everything unknown is way more fun. Updates like Forgotten knowledge and reap what you sow were so fun because we (Or at least me) didn't know anything about what it was or how it worked.

I'm well aware I could just not read it, but eh.

18 minutes ago, SpookyXy said:

Nope, he exists but he isn't a part of the story for all the reasons I previously mentioned. That's why he rarely appears in shorts and never in story focused shorts.

Oh you just pretend he isn't canon.

Crab king is the best boss, I think he has fun patterns and cycles, and his healing is easy to stop

Fuel Weaver is the worst boss besides toadstool, his healing mechanic is so hard to deal with because you have to be constantly switching between nightmare amulets, body armor, head armor, bee queen crown, sanity foods, weather pains, lazy explorers, and weapons (because he can do other actions during it)

Beefalo are dumb. They are only used as a way to negate a character's downsides, which takes away the point of playing unique characters. (As a potential fix I think beefs should take some of the stat modifiers from their riders or at least damage multipliers)

Speed buffs should be restricted because they nerf bases and resource farms

DST is unplayable without the constant music mod, just the sound of crunchy grass

I kinda liked disease, at least when I was constantly picking my replants and had a way to deal with it. It was just annoying when you stop using your farms and they all die because of that.

There is no reason to spend summer on the surface. Wildfires suck, antlion is boring, and fishing in the oasis is also boring. Much rather do cave stuffs.

28 minutes ago, EATZYOWAFFLEZ said:

Crab king is the best boss, I think he has fun patterns and cycles, and his healing is easy to stop

How is his healing any less of an annoyance compared to Fuelweaver? You need weather pains either way. This seems more like a joke to me and he probably is competing for worst boss in the game without any good loot and is just part of a quest.

30 minutes ago, EATZYOWAFFLEZ said:

Fuel Weaver is the worst boss besides toadstool, his healing mechanic is so hard to deal with because you have to be constantly switching between nightmare amulets, body armor, head armor, bee queen crown, sanity foods, weather pains, lazy explorers, and weapons (because he can do other actions during it)

Fuelweaver is one of the best designed bosses and if you read the game name it is "Don't Starve TOGETHER" meaning you aren't supposed to judge bosses as a solo player but how interesting they are to fight with other people.

While i also play solo most of the time, i know that DST is balanced with multiplayer in mind and you can see that in numerous boss fights and increase health from DS.

35 minutes ago, EATZYOWAFFLEZ said:

I kinda liked disease, at least when I was constantly picking my replants and had a way to deal with it. It was just annoying when you stop using your farms and they all die because of that.

Disease is probably the worst mechanic that DST had. You could never thrive with it turned on and it just limited base building for no reason.

Wildfires aren't that much better either.

38 minutes ago, EATZYOWAFFLEZ said:

There is no reason to spend summer on the surface. Wildfires suck, antlion is boring, and fishing in the oasis is also boring. Much rather do cave stuffs.

Finally we are in agreement when it comes to something but to me it mostly comes down to wildfires, they are an awful mechanic that basically make you spend every summer in caves not that i mind as i usually spend much more time there as i really like caves but no one likes when they are forced to do something.

Flingomatics don't make any sense, especially if you build a bigger base, plus wildfires can burn resources that won't respawn if you are not careful, so overall spending summer in caves is the best option.

Wildfires should have met the same fate as the Disease mechanic literally decades ago. Same with Grass Gekkos. Or Antlion sinkholes. Or triple tier 3 Tree Guardians spawning the moment you hit a tree lategame. Or endless Hound waves lategame. It's possible to farm Hounds using a Varg, so just add an event or method that stops Hound waves for good.

All of this stuff gets in the way of playing the actual game, and there's no good way to escape these constant interruptions. Yes there's mods and I use them. When I played years ago, I would literally sleep through the whole summer, both days and nights. Because the wildfires are so impossibly badly designed. I had like 300 tooth traps to get rid off the constant tree guards. Imagine if I didn't have the auto-reset mod. And it still wasted all daylight time waiting for them to slowly die and to clean up the loot. I literally have to invest hundreds of logs and grass and hound's teeth and all my time into traps to get rid of tree guards just so I can get a single one of those resources back.

Either get rid of those mechanics (wildfire seems unfixable to me) or add creative solutions that deal with them in a practical manner. The QOL update is a good start, but there's still a lot of absurd stuff left in the game that could do with an overhaul as well.

Archived