Dst hot take

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, EighteenXVIII said:

Wildfires should have met the same fate as the Disease mechanic literally decades ago.

This I agree with. The wildfires are a pretty terrible design choice for DST since they don't have the same danger as they did in single player. They're more an inconvenience than something to fear now.

12 minutes ago, EighteenXVIII said:

Same with Grass Gekkos. Or Antlion sinkholes. Or triple tier 3 Tree Guardians spawning the moment you hit a tree lategame. Or endless Hound waves lategame.

All four of these things are awful examples (maybe hyperbole, but they certainly aren't things that need to go).

Grass Geckos are a useful alternative to grass tufts or tumbleweeds late game, and are much more easily farmable. They only appear once an in-game year, and can also be easily prevented once you've gotten your first wave spawned.

Antlion sinkholes are easily avoidable by killing the seasonal boss of summer. Sure, it's a bit of a quest with the oasis fishing and such, but you could alternatively just go to the caves.

Tree Guards don't spawn very commonly at all, even past day 1000 you'll see them rarely unless you actively seek them out.

Hounds have been tweaked in the recent QoL as you mentioned, and are far from constant, now showing up about once or twice in a season.

16 minutes ago, EighteenXVIII said:

I would literally sleep through the whole summer, both days and nights

I agree that summer does need a lot more content to incentivize not just skipping it, though sleeping through it isn't something you can do in DST, most players will just go to the caves and ignore all the season. That is obviously not good design for a fourth of the game's core feature.

17 minutes ago, EighteenXVIII said:

I had like 300 tooth traps to get rid off the constant tree guards.

Honestly, even though I recognize this is hyperbole, what can I say except "skill issue". 6 hits then dodge.

19 minutes ago, EighteenXVIII said:

Either get rid of those mechanics (wildfire seems unfixable to me) or add creative solutions that deal with them in a practical manner. The QOL update is a good start, but there's still a lot of absurd stuff left in the game that could do with an overhaul as well.

Just to close off this little wall of text, I want to state again that I do agree that wildfires are an awful mechanic for a multiplayer game like DST, however the rest of the things you've mentioned are in an amazing state at the moment. Grass geckos are a good late game alternative that you can toggle off if you really want them gone, any problems with Antlion are actually just core issues with summer in and of itself, Tree Guards are far from the issue you make them out to be, and hounds have been tweaked to near perfection.

TW: Heavily Opinionated

Fair enough, seems like they actually did tweak some things while I was gone. I'm only at day 60 so I can't judge the late game tree guards and hounds yet. That said, when all I want is to chop down some trees, "6 hits and dodge" doesn't get you very far as a Wendy against three 4000 HP behemoths. Nor did I exaggerate the amount of tooth traps. I would use tooth traps near a trapped Varg to farm more teeth, which is surprisingly fast. But again, I'd be spending 15 minutes battling these enemies that endlessly chase, are able to destroy structures so you can't ignore them, and all I wanted was to CHOP SOME TREES. I know I can kill them, but that's 15 minutes that I now can't spend working towards preparing for bosses and exploration. And it adds up between that and Hound Waves and refueling Flingos every 5 days and so on.

Archived