Dst hot take

22 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

Playing pubs is 10x more fun than playing private worlds

Playing megabases is not playing Don't Starve anymore, it's just a zen garden exercise builder simulator

I can't really agree with this hot take haha! Maybe my milage varies since I'm on console but I feel I've wasted my time if I play pubs for 3 hours and then host just leaves and I never see said world again

On 4/7/2022 at 5:18 AM, Waoling said:

Wurt is good.

Wurt is the beat merm :wilson_cry:

the downside must balance to the upside to equal to Wilson default no longer a good thing that change player playstyle when DS move to DST (multiplayer) it just become something inconvenience to deal with, decrease the value and fun of some character, and surprisingly hurt wilson the most

During the Don't Starve OG, single player phase, it's true that the "downside must balance to the upside to equal to Wilson" is something that balance, game changing between every character, the problem is it only work if there are only 1 player/ character

But in DST where multiplayer, team work is as important as individual character play style

For example, one of the reason nobody want Wes to join is because the fear of his downside dragging others down, we all know the meme about Wolfgang eats all of your food, Wx takes all of your gears,...

What carry the character in DST the most usually isn't their downside, but their upside they give to the whole team, this can create an idea of meta, making player chose character that "OP" with their upside than other "balance character" (especially WIlson)

So, I think moving on, the new rework or new character should focus on how to make the upside and downside fun, it can be challenging but shouldn't affect others too much

I know some people not gonna like this idea because it can make DST lose it's challenging side, But I think Don't Starve Together can be challenging without the need of giving character downside for sake of be challenging, the challenging aspect of DST should be the world of the constant itself

I feel like the developers were focusing too much on making an individuals character "challenging" with their downside alone but forgot that in multiplayer environments, those downside either be solved by having an X character to play with or become a inconvenience thing to deal with. Meanwhile everything in the constant itself become a piece of cake when you have more than 1 people in the server

------------------------

IMO, making character fun to play is more important than making them balance

as long as they are fun to play, people gonna enjoy them regardless

while try to making a balance character might sacrifice how fun to play them, making them less value when they are "out meta" or "too annoying to play"

Balancing characters is an integral part of the game so that while a character has a very clear niche they fill, they don't step on the others toes without significant time or skill costs

Combat in the game makes up probably a third of it in total

Having some  character not be Uber complicated while other are actually pretty healthy for a game with multiple characters

Durians are useless, even as Wurt

I think that having too many npcs would ruin the speciality of the one's that do exist

Very few games could successfully crossover with DST as they don't provide stuff that could theoretically exist as the Eye did. 

Thulucite Club is worth it

Healing Salves ate actually pretty useful after enacting a small spider extermination in one of the forests

Wendy isn't broken as Abigil is dumber than a singular rock and thus dies pretty often

While much of the game's challenge is reliant on the idea of not knowing and exploration, some things about bosses and quest lines could probably be explained better in game

Pieogies are generally useless once you get enough potatoes in a cycle 

They're should be filters to limit the characters that random can select

Wx and Wilson are the worst characters to play due to being so painfully boring

Willow is the most boring post rework character

Winona deserves a second look at as she shouldn't be hammpered by the lack of quality and consistency that Klei has gained from her rework, especially since she was the first to be reworked

30 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

malbatross is not a bad boss

It's a mediocre boss

30 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

i though this was a hot take thread everyone is saying what we all believe

Happens every time a thread like this appears

Spoiler

Wendy is OP. Now someone's take is hot on this thread, even if you think my isn't

39 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

i though this was a hot take thread everyone is saying what we all believe

to be fair, it's better than spouting something false

On 4/7/2022 at 6:59 AM, ALCRD said:

Taming Beefalos is not worth the trouble and is not needed for the most part.

hard disagree they are extremely easy to tame and i couldn't imagine my life without em

Not sure if it's a hot take because everyone kinda live with it but

I appreciate Don't Starve's design philosophy of "no hand holding" but sometimes it's just absurd. Putting vague guests for FuelWeaver and Celestial Champion aside, some things like not showing player food stats or protection of armor is pretty bad in my opinion.

I'm not asking devs to write everything what items do or how many hours does this mob have like in a lot of other games but I such basic information as weapon damage, armor's protection and food stats should not be hidden. 

سلام لطفا بهم بگید کی به دونت استارو هملت Android  اومدید. من دو ساله منتظرم. لطفا به من بگویید  من او را خیلی دوست دارم. 

2 hours ago, FourthLess said:

some things like not showing player food stats

Now the game has a way to view food statistics. Through a cookbook, which, I think, is quite smoothly integrated into the game environment. You won't know the recipe and characteristics until you cook and eat the food for the first time, but after that you can look up the exact values at any time if you forgot them.

44 minutes ago, Lokena said:

Now the game has a way to view food statistics. Through a cookbook, which, I think, is quite smoothly integrated into the game environment. You won't know the recipe and characteristics until you cook and eat the food for the first time, but after that you can look up the exact values at any time if you forgot them.

Oh I know about Cookbook and think it's pretty neat but it only shows stats for crockpot food which is a shame. 

Also it brings up another issue with the big amount of recipes that players have no idea about. Throwing random stuff is not really a great way to learn about them and most of the time will result in a waste of food.

And also the most likely dishes new players are going to discover are "punish" ones. While it's easy to tell monster lasagna is bad, stuff like ratatouille and fist full of jam will look good for them because game doesn't show stats of raw ingredients to compare them to cooked ones.

So yeah, while Cook book is a great addition it solves only a small part of the problem.

21 minutes ago, FourthLess said:

Yeah, I agree, I was thinking about the same thing while I was writing my comment. In fact, it would be cool if you could "research" ingredients in the same way that a gardener's hat allows you to research the nutritional value of fertilizers. I don't think that the book will suffer from having several additional tabs and a little more information. And you will still have to eat the food to find out its qualities.

7 hours ago, FourthLess said:

Not sure if it's a hot take because everyone kinda live with it but

I appreciate Don't Starve's design philosophy of "no hand holding" but sometimes it's just absurd. Putting vague guests for FuelWeaver and Celestial Champion aside, some things like not showing player food stats or protection of armor is pretty bad in my opinion.

I'm not asking devs to write everything what items do or how many hours does this mob have like in a lot of other games but I such basic information as weapon damage, armor's protection and food stats should not be hidden. 

You can see what food does by eating it. And what weapons and armor are ambiguous?

Weapon and character balance actually do matter imo and having some stuff be overpowered for when it’s obtained is a bad thing.

Most people do not enjoy killing a boss in 2 seconds and would rather have a challenge. Dst isn’t necessarily “uncompromising” but it’s also definitely not an easy game. If ppl didn’t want a challenge they wouldn’t be playing dst. As a result players will have to limit themselves from using certain items/characters, and that’s not fun for any parties involved. Whatever potential fun could be had from that character/weapon/etc is now ruined because it’s too easy and unusable. It’s also very immersion breaking.

DST is actually pretty well balanced, so it can’t be used as an example of bad balance not mattering. Wendy is not OP; abigail is a situational helper and Wendy’s 0.75x damage modifier is a massive penalty. Wolfgang + spicy volt goat jelly is also not OP since it’s very inconvenient to get for a temporary buff, and unless you have bundle wraps you can’t mass produce then save them for when you need them. When was the last time someone actually used spicy volt goat jelly wolfgang?

Balance does matter. The argument “if it’s too op just don’t use it!!!!” doesn’t work.

3 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Game was originally made under the intention of never being a multiplayer game, some people still prefer it that way.

Don't Starve is single player. That's the game not meant for groups. From day 1 Together has been multiplayer focused.

10 hours ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

It's pretty sad how many people play dst "alone" and not "together"

I don't think it's sad if people prefer it that way. Not everyone needs company to have fun, you know. And for me, I think it's great that unlike many multiplayer games, DST doesn't depend on the presence of many players. You don't have to wait half an hour until there are exactly so-many players on the server - you just jump into the world - your own or someone else's - and you can immediately play. DST also works fine offline. It's cool that you have a choice of how and with how many people to share your experience, and even if you're the only one playing, you still have access to almost all the content (the only exception that comes to mind is the lazy antlion teleporter, but there is a mod to make it work in the singplayer and it's not a critical thing to have anyway). In addition, I can not be afraid that if this game loses its popularity one day, it will disappear simply because "there are too few players in the world to fill the servers for a normal gameplay". You will still have your copy and you can still create your own servers and play without any problems, even if you are the last and only person left who still enjoys it. For me, it's a sense of freedom and control. If this game was "purely" multiplayer, I probably would never have played it as much as I did.

Archived