Rework teaser theory crafting

1114953699_nothing_to_see_here.png.045e79bdb1e39a0ca2600c39f6d4302d(1).png.af378769ed3c203694def68677b2b4ce.png

So, I think we have all seen this image, and I want to talk about what it is and what it could mean.

let's start with the facts:

1. We know that this image is related to a character refresh, the devs explicitly stated as such.

2. That's clearly a propeller sticking out of the top.

3. There is some form of light beam coming out of it.

From these facts, we can determine one thing for sure, that this is clearly a mechanical creature or invention, designed to fulfill a specific purpose. Which leads us to the only two mechanical based survivors in the game. Yes two, not one, because Winona also invents machines and let's be honest, she could use a re-refresh. But since it's a bit early to double back onto old characters, we can likely save her for another day, so let's focus on the real culprit here.

Ah, WX-78, everyone's favorite metal maniac. Now, the question that is to be asked is this. Is this thing an ally or an enemy? Some refreshes have caused permanent changes in the world itself, Warlys extra crops, Wendy's pipspooks, Webber nurse spiders, stuff like that. So it's not impossible that this is a new clockwork creature of some kind. Notice how the center looks almost accordion like, similar to the clockwork knight.

What it actually does is a mystery, but if it was a foe, then it would likely be some sort of lookout, or maybe a flying turret of some description, the light coming out of the bottom acting as a searchlight. Maybe it's instead a nautical clockwork, flying over the ocean to hunt you? Though, we have the floaty boaty's for that, so perhaps not. I'm not sure how it would really work as an enemy without simply being an accessory to a greater power though.

A greater power like the robot himself, WX-78. So if this machine is instead ally, then that drastically changes what it could do. It's clearly light focused, and seems independent from the survivor, so perhaps it acts as a portable floodlight, like Winona's electric light? Following Wx around and keeping him safe in the dark. If that's the case, then WX-78's update may not be so "self upgrade" focused as many thought. He always claimed that everyone else was his "minion" so perhaps that's his angle? Making his own minions to do his bidding, while he acts as the self appointed king of the robot uprising. There may also be some changes to the upgrade systems but that's pure speculation. 

The possible minions he could make are vast and unknowable, all we currently know is that this one flies and has a bright bottom. Others may be more substantial, but that remains to be seen.

Before I end this post I have one final thing to say, just to cover all my bases. Now, remember when I said there were only two possibilities for the owner of the image? Well I lied, because there is a secret third possibility.

Maxwell was always fond of his creations, and we know he still likes the clockworks, but the Chessmaster is now subject to their terror. Is it impossible to say that he has attempted to regain control over them? It would certainly be an interesting direction to go with him. His shadows are his biggest feature, so it's hard to imagine such a left turn. But, he was the king in the past, and old habits die hard, so I wouldn't discount the idea.

Tell me your thoughts and theories in the replies, would love to see everyone's idea on what this indistinct blob is.

I believe they said they aren't planning on refreshing Winona. I also find it a lot more possible that the gentleman scientist makes a robot over someone who no longer sits on the throne larping as if he still did, especially with how contrasting that drone's style is with the clockworks' (plus it not being a chess piece).

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

I also find it a lot more possible that the gentleman scientist makes a robot

Not sure i like the idea of turning Wilson into "Winona Lite" over giving Winona some refresh.

Then again i am holding back the judgement and speculations till its finally announced.

1 minute ago, ALCRD said:

Not sure i like the idea of turning Wilson into "Winona Lite"

Then again i am holding back the judgement and speculations till its finally announced.

I don't like that idea either, just saying I think it's more possible for this to be a Wilson item than a Maxwell item.

6 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Not sure i like the idea of turning Wilson into "Winona Lite" over giving Winona some refresh

same with Wx. We have Winona but seems like Wx (or Wilson but i doubt) will have better toys when never has been told that Wx is smart enough to create machines

maybe they will surprise us and give some love to Winona like how they surprise us by changing Wolf in the beta after saying that they wont do it

My guess is, that this is some kind of light drone, basically a lightsource that either follows you or can be directed by you, which offers you light without taking up equip slots. Or maybe it actually has some relatiin to clockworks, who knows.

27 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

My guess is, that this is some kind of light drone, basically a lightsource that either follows you or can be directed by you, which offers you light without taking up equip slots. Or maybe it actually has some relatiin to clockworks, who knows.

If it is a light drone on WX they'd just be giving a better version of a Winona item to him for no reason.

4 hours ago, blacknight7890 said:

He always claimed that everyone else was his "minion" so perhaps that's his angle? Making his own minions to do his bidding, while he acts as the self appointed king of the robot uprising.

30 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

If it is a light drone on WX they'd just be giving a better version of a Winona item to him for no reason.

WX-78 uses they/them pronouns. "king" is still fine here, WX refers to themself as such in shipwrecked, but using he/him for WX is incorrect.

i like the idea of it being an enemy, wx biggest issue right now is that he either needs to ruin rush or waste gears for everyone else. maybe they are reworking the way clockworks work on the surface to make gears more accessible for wx?

Maybe it is a drone WX-78 can switch to to explore the map fast. It could have some functions, like automatic exploring/revealing the map, observing a place, giving a notification when a specific mob, ressource or objekt is found and, yeah, providing light.

29 minutes ago, prezera said:

i like the idea of it being an enemy, wx biggest issue right now is that he either needs to ruin rush or waste gears for everyone else. maybe they are reworking the way clockworks work on the surface to make gears more accessible for wx?

Maybe they could respawn from those piles of gears in the ruins and have a chance of coming though the sinkholes to the surface.

The only refresh/DLC that doesn't add a character exclusive craft is Vorertox.

Webber's, Wendeez, Winona's, Willow's and Woodie's reworks and Warly's, Wanda's and Walter's additions gave the characters damage perks

Wigfrid, Wolfgang, Wendy and Woodie got stat meters

40% of non-human characters have a minion perk, 24.9% to 33.2% of human characters have a minion perk, depending on whether or not you count Walter. Wormwood has special interactions with some plants. 

A lot of crafting items of a character are unified by their theme and the way their effects are applied (Wendy, Woodie, Warly, Walter, Wigfrid, Wolfgang, Webber). These kinds of items in general usually give some sort of stat boosts (Wendy, Warly, Wigfrid, Wolfgang, Webber).

We can't be too sure tho.

2 hours ago, Queron81 said:

Maybe it is a drone WX-78 can switch to to explore the map fast. It could have some functions, like automatic exploring/revealing the map, observing a place, giving a notification when a specific mob, ressource or objekt is found and, yeah, providing light.

An interesting idea, a scout drone would be neat to have in the early game.

2 hours ago, prezera said:

More accessible gears would be a good idea for an update focused on the gear hoarder himself. If it also drops its propeller, then that could allow some very interesting crafts.

2 hours ago, jan Mele said:

The only refresh/DLC that doesn't add a character exclusive craft is Vorertox.

Webber's, Wendeez, Winona's, Willow's and Woodie's reworks and Warly's, Wanda's and Walter's additions gave the characters damage perks

Wigfrid, Wolfgang, Wendy and Woodie got stat meters

40% of non-human characters have a minion perk, 24.9% to 33.2% of human characters have a minion perk, depending on whether or not you count Walter. Wormwood has special interactions with some plants. 

A lot of crafting items of a character are unified by their theme and the way their effects are applied (Wendy, Woodie, Warly, Walter, Wigfrid, Wolfgang, Webber). These kinds of items in general usually give some sort of stat boosts (Wendy, Warly, Wigfrid, Wolfgang, Webber).

We can't be too sure tho.

Not sure what you are trying to say here, care to clarify?

I’m going to take a shot in the dark guess here and say that Klei repurposed WX’s Overcharge ability to instead now be Air based light drones.

How it would work: Now when WX is hit by lightning WX’s head compartment will open up like Inspector Gadgets hat and out will fly little drones that are slightly above the size of the Lightbulb bugs, these drones will then follow any survivor around that was near the WX when it got Overcharged.

I just think it would be hilarious to see WX get hit by lightning and out of its robot body flies Security Protocol drones.

The image in question is titled "nothing_to_see_here.png" so this Rose Appraiser speculates that the contraption will aid in highlighting/finding items. Of course, this can work as a a portable light source with upgrades/different functions. Perhaps some uses for other gems seeing as the silhouette has an odd shape styled similar to a yellow gem and Winona's spotlight. The WX rework might also change the overreliance on gears/overcharging. Make it so there are consequences to these action, something akin to Warly's refined palette.

Archived