[Game Update] - 498875

1 hour ago, ScottHansen said:

Returned the Boat Kit recipe to use boards and require the Think Tank to prototype. 

• We decided that making boating more easily accessed in the early game should happen in a more appropriately themed update, not just through the change of a recipe.

tbh I never really saw sailing as a late game thing. You could on day 1 you can have enough resources to build a think tank/boat/oars. It might take a few more days to get all the other niceties (sales, anchor, etc), but I you're not forced to wait till mid/late game.

Personally I like this revert. Makes more sense to need a think tank to build the boat.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Anthony_L3hr said:

Thank you so much for making the Clean Sweeper cheaper :wilson_love:

e1348427e3909c1d224fc8e04e863cc9.png

oh thank god i can change the ugly cane skin i picked. I was soft locked behind not finding dark petals in my world before

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

oh thank god i can change the ugly cane skin i picked. I was soft locked behind not finding dark petals in my world before

You can die and hunt regular flowers to turn them into dark petals and then just revive :) just in case. 

Omg that clean sweaper recipe is pretty insane. I'm kinda sad that there is no longer the magic air behind it, not very thematically consistent with totally normal trees dropping it either, and one of the few uses of dark petal is lost. I liked the old recipe, wish it was just made cheaper like 2 dark petals and a living log. Oh well, guess it's time to spam the best item in the game a hundred times. This change almost justifies Clean Sweaper to have durability with how insane that crafting recipe is.

As for the boats, the thinktankless kits were very convenient so I'll miss them but boards for the kit is a good reversion. I wonder if the oars and boat patches are reverted back too cause if not, it's still going to be pretty convenient, just 16 more logs as a barrier to entry.

• Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

2 hours ago, ScottHansen said:
  • Returned the Boat Kit recipe to use boards and require the Think Tank to prototype. 
    • We decided that making boating more easily accessed in the early game should happen in a more appropriately themed update, not just through the change of a recipe.

i hope that this appropriately themed update is something that will come soon rather than something put on the back burner, i was really really enjoying the early boats

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Pouncetail said:

Does anyone know when the update will be released without beta?

The official release? Only the devs know. I'd be surprised if it's this week since they're still tweaking stuff (per this hot fix) but you never know what this team can pull off. :')

• GL Happy 1

41 minutes ago, allmeitysk said:

You can die and hunt regular flowers to turn them into dark petals and then just revive :) just in case. 

I know, but that's like a lot of work just to change skin. I think it would just be easier to make a new cane at that point

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Players can now fully interact with the world while the crafting menu is open.

• This is a test, hopefully it feels good

New crafting ui looks great and feels pretty good too now

all it needs is when beta is over make some example for modders on how to make use the new addrecipe2 and get their character's unique recipe/head icon to appear in the crafting menu and how to add new crafting tab/category :D

one of best qol updates for sure

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, meow meow meow said:

i hope that this appropriately themed update is something that will come soon rather than something put on the back burner, i was really really enjoying the early boats

Yes, the logs and no science to craft boats was great. I particularly enjoyed being able to quickly make a raft if i saw a message in bottle along shore, made pearl island hunting much more streamlined

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maybe a dog said:

Nice. Since Kitschy Idols no longer spoil now, if we push a little more we might get a way to make Moonstorms not a daily nightmare for Woody.

You know how hiding in bush hat stops him from transforming untill he leaves it? He has to idle in it entire night but it could be cool if it delayed the transformation by like 30 seconds then he has to hide again for 3 seconds to refresh the timer or something. That wouldn't make this downside entirely negated but make a nice way around it.

• Sanity 3

Soo, I'm gonna shoot my shot here, since we've seen improvements to Woodie, could we see something done about Bernie + Enlightenment areas?

Bernie can't go big in enlightenment areas, which wasn't a big problem at first, since it was just the lunar island, but now we've got the moonstorm, the lunar island AND the grotto, and in all of these areas WIllow essentially gets a major perk of hers just stripped away while characters like Wendy still get to keep their follower. And it really stinks, since Willow without bernie just feels... like an incomplete characters, and to think Wendy's the one who says she has trouble seeing Abigail when wearing the enlightened crown, and yet can still use Abigail :p.

I understand some things like lore might stand in the way, but not having access to such a major part of a character kit stinks a lot, and I would appreciate just something out of bernie in enlightenment areas. However it might be done, whether just letting his regular big form be used, or even adding a new custom form, ill take anything over simply no use of him in the lunacy areas.

• Like 18

Reduced the cost of the Clean Sweeper

With the new recipe, there is no reason for it to stay in the magic filter i think.

Returned the Boat Kit recipe to use boards and require the Think Tank to prototype.

But boat patch, oar and driftwood oar still doesnt require tinktank to prototype, idk if it's intentional.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Keyboard & Mouse Big Crafting Menu Change

• Players can now fully interact with the world while the crafting menu is open.
    • This is a test, hopefully it feels good
    • Please let us know your thoughts and log bugs if there are any bugs related to it.

I think it's working now? fingers_crossed

There only two things I would suggest:

1. That the menu doesn't close when pre-crafting something since pre-crafting a lot of structures means having to re-open the menu. (Though with how big the menu is, I do understand why it closes so that new players understand that it's a structure that can be placed).
  2. Let items be craftable from their icons when viewing an item's recipe. It saves a ton of time for how expansive the crafting menu is; I find myself still getting lost after having put 40 hours in this beta. I saw this from this mod here.

Edited by lakhnish
WORDS
  • Big Ups 4

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

I liked the old recipe, wish it was just made cheaper like 2 dark petals and a living log.

Whether it's 1, 2, 4, 10, 20, or 40 dark petals the cost barely changes. You need to die to haunt flowers so how many it takes doesn't matter except for whether it's 0 or more than 0.

30 minutes ago, kuroite said:

With the new recipe, there is no reason for it to stay in the magic filter i think.

It's still magic. Plenty of items in the magic tab don't use living logs or nightmare fuel type things in their recipes.

30 minutes ago, kuroite said:

But boat patch, oar and driftwood oar still doesnt require tinktank to prototype, idk if it's intentional

It's great that those don't need a think tank since everyone can use them and it's annoying to need to sail back to where the think tank was when you found a driftwood or forgot to prototype patches.

Edited by Cheggf
Phone
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Whether it's 1, 2, 4, 10, 20, or 40 dark petals the cost barely changes. You need to die to haunt flowers so how many it takes doesn't matter except for whether it's 0 or more than 0.

dark petals are a pretty common drop from thumbleweeds and you didn't have to necessarily hunt them yourself, you could plant a flower garden around a dug grave and let the ghosts that spawn there during a full moon hunt them for dark petals, they can do that.

Sorry but I don't like this new recipe at all, it's disgraceful to the immensely useful item it makes. The old recipe could have needed a reduction but not to this extent. 2 Dark Petals and 1 Living Long would have been perfect. The fact that it brought together dark petals and living logs was a very thematic- living logs make all the magic staves and dark petals hold mysterious power within them. They are found together in set pieces where they could drop from cutting totally normal trees as a nice bonus. It had all thematic consistency

Sorry if im rude in stating this but this recipe change should only be appreciated by strict utilitarian players that only care about the functions and not about thematic depth or consistency. This change is akin to that horrid cook book recipe that eventually got rewamped back in the October QoL.

Not to mention, now the Dark petals aren't good for anything besides that nightmare fuel.

image.png.9e5d57709d58cc0e88b7ae2d18c1844c.png

• Like 11
  • Haha 3
  • Big Ups 1

4 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

We decided that making boating more easily accessed in the early game should happen in a more appropriately themed update, not just through the change of a recipe.

Oh boy this has me excited. Tho i did enjoy the change that was in place, knowing of a future update is a good alternative
please, just dont ruin how boats work, I love my moving base, I dont want water shoes

• Like 1
  • Happy Hazard 2
  • Big Ups 1

The two problems with early boating before was needing 4 more boards and paddling out to get a drift wood, then paddling back in to craft a drift wood oar.

The first change took out both of these problems so we could get out fast.  It was great !  But there was a new problem with debris giving boards which miss-matched the crafting recipe for boats / patches.  This gave a hit to sustained boating.

Changing this back means we need to get 16 more logs and place a think tank still... but once the boat is prototyped we'll be able to use boards to make new boats as needed.  Its a good balance.  It looks like oars and drift wood oars still do not require any prototype so we still save time there...  This seems like a good middle ground.

I'm excited to see what's coming next - I hope its something along the lines of varied boat designs?

Logs & no science / tank => craft a smaller raft that can't have any structures placed on it
boards & think tank => craft the cookie boat we have now

A recipe that includes dragonfly scales for a boat that doesn't allow summer wildfires ?

One with marble that has a lot more health ?

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Sorry if im rude in stating this but this recipe change should only be appreciated by strict utilitarian players that only care about the functions and not about thematic depth or consistency. This change is akin to that horrid cook book recipe that eventually got rewamped back in the October QoL.

I had originally suggested being able to rub nmf on flowers to corrupt them or maybe craft nmf together with petals or butterflies. With how obnoxious getting dark petals is just for an item to make the tam look different (waiting up to 3 hours before going to a certain part of the map is even worse than just dying) I much prefer this less sensible synonym recipe over the annoying lore recipe.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

dark petals are a pretty common drop from thumbleweeds and you didn't have to necessarily hunt them yourself, you could plant a flower garden around a dug grave and let the ghosts that spawn there during a full moon hunt them for dark petals, they can do that.

Sorry but I don't like this new recipe at all, it's disgraceful to the immensely useful item it makes. The old recipe could have needed a reduction but not to this extent. 2 Dark Petals and 1 Living Long would have been perfect. The fact that it brought together dark petals and living logs was a very thematic- living logs make all the magic staves and dark petals hold mysterious power within them. They are found together in set pieces where they could drop from cutting totally normal trees as a nice bonus. It had all thematic consistency

Not to mention, now the Dark petals aren't good for anything besides that nightmare fuel.

image.png.9e5d57709d58cc0e88b7ae2d18c1844c.png

yes the sweeper change is sad. 

i never used it to begin with, but old recipe made it feel valuable and made for some interesting game concepts to acquire it. im talking dark petals. if the living logs were the issue, it could've been reduces to 1 instead of 3

new recipe is sad

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 2