Favorite Weird/Creepy Things in DST

The whole game is pretty damn scary, if you think about it for more than a minute. It takes me back to this child-like opposite of wonder. Feels exactly like when I was little and would imagine the most horrid stuff at simple phrases, like when an adult tells you about eye surgery- as a kid, you're probably gonna imagine it in the most awful way possible. 

DS reminds me of that, of falling asleep after seeing a slightly odd movie and all the moments that disturbed you the most replaying over and over with you at it's center. 

...kind of like aura, now that i think about it. 

Don't Starve is like a children's story...in the oldschool sense, like the original Grimms' versions of the famous fairy tales as compared to the Disney ones.  Less cute talking animals and happy endings every time, and more "Be good or else the eye-eater will come in the night and eat your eyes.  Sweet dreams!"  Complete with cute kids'-book-illustration style art and everything.  :)

dstcivday153-2shadows.png.5deea1e727dfc67828fc7f7a8a509a3f.png

But it DOES get a lot less scary once you know things like, for example, _why_ those eyes in the dark are there and how to make them NOT be there, that you can stomp on the hands, and that the dogs aren't inevitable constantly-chasing-you machines, but are in fact pretty distractible and dumb.  

Which brings the _overall_ DS/T atmosphere back to what I like to call "Halloween" or "fun-scary",

kleihalloween2020.thumb.png.f95ba581d0c5d39379ca1ea3cf858636.png

...and that's my favourite kind.  :)

...Notorious

Ik this is a dst thread but I don't think anything in this game will ever top the ending of adventure mode in terms of eeriness. There's this one moment at the end that gets me every time

Spoiler

Everything about the final area is so creepy. You have no idea what to expect in the darkness and the music that plays doesn't make you feel any less unsafe. The music gets louder and louder the closer you get to it indicating a bossfight or maybe a final challenge. But no. Instead your greeted with the most pathetic version of maxwell ever. 

You can turn off the music box and maxwell thanks you for it. After this you can free maxwell which will play the most brutal death in the entire game.  Then You, the player gets trapped on the chair and you know what happens next? 

The music starts playing again. You didn't touch even the box at all. it just began playing a happy fun tune by itself immediately after something horrifying had happened. What a terrifying way to end a game

24 minutes ago, Ornge said:

Ik this is a dst thread but I don't think anything in this game will ever top the ending of adventure mode in terms of eeriness

Pff, I talked about THREE ENTIRE OTHER GAMES in one post.  At length.  I'm kinda surprised I got any likes, rather than just a lot of yelling-at.  : P  You're fine.  :)

One thing I like about Don't Starve is the category I would call..._harmless_ scary items?  Like, it freaks you out, but it doesn't actually hurt you--but it TAKES a minute/some experience with the game to figure that out. Case in point, the Watcher, when you're starting to go a bit insane.  I've heard it called (by Let's Players) everything from an "evil princess" to a "hairy d*ck".  It just...looms over you...but it doesn't actually hurt anything in the GAME.  It just creeps _you_, the player, out.  (See also:  Mr. Skitts, but you're more likely to hang out with the Watcher for longer, since people tend to just sit around the campfire at night (coughmemorethaniprobablyshouldcough))

Or a personal favourite of mine: The Stagehand.

hellooldfriend.png.aa551e97a113e25e8e4f41ef563090d1.png

In my personal headcanon, Willow has nicknamed it "Table" (because going straight to the simple, cut-the-crap basic kinda names seems a very Willow kind of thing to do) and ever since it became a part of the original "Starvania" in 2017, I've made a point of having it join our camp at some point, every time I play as her.

willowchestercharmanderandtable.png.67029d95f0c373e373044113c6680284.png

It's the furniture that rearranges itself!  :)

...AND I might've...maybe...deliberately had it follow me when I went to greet newcomers at the portal at night, so I could freak them out, on purpose...more than once...heh...

I would never (purposely) bring something that could actually harm a player character or destroy their stuff, but a "AAAAA!!  WHAT IS THAT?!" that turns out to _just_ be scary? Yeah.  I might do that. : P

Wendy actually found it on her VERY FIRST NIGHT in my beta world, and all I can say about that is...

wendystagehandfirstnight.thumb.png.8cb45b068b5ac5f12b278d8dd1985efe.png

OF COURSE SHE DID.  XD

...Notorious

9 hours ago, mr. brj said:
  Hide contents

1) We can [...] many other powers

2) To [...] one to his shade

3) The [...] people [...] righteous

4) [...]

5) Our [...] here, from

6) Come here, and we can teach

7) [...] hand in hand [...] OR and we live in [...] (dunno what that one is supposed to be lol)

There's a thread that cleans up the audio a bit here:

Although it's been 6 years, maybe you can start a new one? :applouse:

The stagehand, Wavey Jones in general, the tense audio when a rockjaw is near (I know it's likely a joke reference to Jaws but still), the fricking shadow watcher, the horrifying transformation of ruins statues and all the insanity sounds that Klei silently removed KLEI WHERE ARE MY INSANITY SOUNDS?

52 minutes ago, Oontzie said:

Although it's been 6 years, maybe you can start a new one? :applouse:

Well I might have some time to waste this weekend, who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The person that edited the audio files in the old thread did a good job though. I only spent like 15 minutes for the editing and spent an additional 15 to see if reversing certain syllables back to their original forms did anything meaningful. But definitely a good place to start, thanks!

5 hours ago, OMGkawaiiAngel said:

The baying of hounds, it's always so scary!

I dunno if it's just me, but I've never thought it even SOUNDED like dogs in any way at all until they get real close.  It sounds like...crunching?  Loud stomping breaking-wood sound, or something, when it's far away.  Loud dull crunchy sound with no notes or voice. Just doesn't sound like a bark.

...that doesn't make it LESS scary, though, mind you.  When I first heard it, I had NO idea what to expect!

...Notorious

10 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

<spoilered quote for readability/lightening page image load>

Spoiler

IMG_20220316_142839.jpg.760a2c70bdb031def80b3d1ae2118b0d.jpgIMG_20220316_142743.jpg.96388c4e2432a729d1d988c12a493b3e.jpg

i love the vibes and design

Mouths trapped in a silent scream. A reflection of their last moments? Or a message from ones that despite having lost their form, are still "alive", suffering, and screaming for someone, anyone, to release them from their unending torment?

And then you break them to bits to get some gems. You jerk.

On 3/14/2022 at 8:03 PM, Owlrust said:

For some reason, at times I always thought what they're saying sounds like: "Eyes shall fall, Eyes shall fall" "You need some help, You need some help".

sometimes i swear i hear "you will never gonna escape" and when i   heard it first time i cant dishear ever since

On 3/16/2022 at 2:56 PM, Terra B Welch said:

Insanity sounds? You mean insanity ambience? i like the insanity ambience.

Yes but the insanity ambience BEFORE you go fully crazy was silently removed recently it seems, does anyone know why?

Archived