Favorite Weird/Creepy Things in DST

What's your most favorite thing in DST that creep you and make you uncomfortable, kind of scared?

My favorite is the "Dawn" (morning the song when new day starts) while you have low sanity. Could not find it on the youtube but you might heard it. It's weirdly broken and turning a announcement system sound weird when you have low sanity is a genius idea.

The lore of the merms and that zoomed-in visual depiction of characters transforming into merms when they lose a game of Gorge both still haunt me.

There also lots of disturbing but beautiful stuff I love about vanilla DS, although those don't creep me out and rather give me a sense of, well, an uncompromising adventure. If I had to choose one of those, it would be the humongous chesspiece biomes.

32 minutes ago, Karitha said:

What's your most favorite thing in DST that creep you and make you uncomfortable, kind of scared?

My favorite is the "Dawn" (morning the song when new day starts) while you have low sanity. Could not find it on the youtube but you might heard it. It's weirdly broken and turning a announcement system sound weird when you have low sanity is a genius idea.

you know i've heard this is a thing, but i've never actually heard it in game. It happens every 8 minutes but all i can recall is the insanity stinger when insane. I must not be paying enough attention, somehow...

2 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

The Eye Bone. From the first sight in Don't Starve it was scary and to this day I haven't fully gotten over that slightly creepy feeling when you look at it.... and it looks right back at you.

for some reason until you mentioned it I completely forgot about the implication that the eyebone is chester's eye

Hounds turning into horror hounds on lunar island, something about that animation of a horror rupturing out of a corpse accompanied by the sound (which ngl I wish it had more "bones and flesh tearing") is something that does wake some inner quake deep inside my shell 

Warly being able to cook Bone Boullion. A dish that uses dead survivor's bones.

Wormwood amputating their arm to provide living logs.

Bunnymen transforming into Beardlorg is pretty dark too

Also building pig farms is pretty dark... we just naturalized it but imagine slaughtering a whole family just to make helmets and ham bats. The concept reminds me of a very dark event from the past...

Tallbirds. They're literally the result of a man playing god. They don't even work, they kill their young. 

But other then that don't starve isn't really that spooky. Maybe the stagehand when you first find it. The eyes in the darkness the first time you are insane in the night.

6 hours ago, Karitha said:

Do you mean the sound file "Music_Dusk_Gonecrazier"? In current day don't starve that sound is used when you reach the insanity threshold(15% sanity) while on the lunar island it also plays when you reach high enlightenment(85%)(it plays it a couple times at a sped up speed IIRC)

This video has that sound file as the first thing it plays.

Most of the sanity affects, the sound, the visual effects, the whispers. The ones during the ancient fuelweaver fight are spooky as hell.

I used to be horrified of the caves. Your vision is limited compared to what you have on the surface, there's more danger. And the bats that come out of it.

DS nor DST, but the Epilogue.

Just darker aspects of the characters. Wendy's suicidal, Willow has murdered at least a dozen or so people, WX has a skeleton, and speaking of which even goofy Wilson has a literal skeleton in the attic.

The ruins... just the utter decay of it all, including how similar the ancients look like terrorbeaks and how Maxwell's presumably intelligent "old friend" looks like the crawling horror. Which implies a nasty fate for the survivors....

I was playing a on solo world and witnessed the Pelontrix something i thought to be a mere hoax and it scared me so bad that i instinctivly punched my moniter and had to go the the hospital for a broken hand

whenever i play dont starve i wrap my computer cord around my foot so if i ever see the pelontrix again i can yank the cord out of the wall so he cant infect my pc

12 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I just got that the other day and it made me wince in the shock of first hearing it.

Yeah, when you reach 15% of your max sanity(or 85% for the lunar island's enlightenment) it basically plays the sound a couple times over eachother while being a little sped up.

4 hours ago, Terra B Welch said:

Do you mean the sound file "Music_Dusk_Gonecrazier"? In current day don't starve that sound is used when you reach the insanity threshold(15% sanity) while on the lunar island it also plays when you reach high enlightenment(85%)(it plays it a couple times at a sped up speed IIRC)

This video has that sound file as the first thing it plays.

Yes it is! Isn't it terrifying? 

It is SERIOUSLY creepy.  Messed-up music (slowed down, sped up, in the wrong key, or gLitChY) as a sign that Something Is Very Wrong has always been very effective to me--it just sets my nerves on edge.  First thing that insane-dawn thing (which also sounds like a band name) reminded me of, was in "Earthbound", where when you wake up in...I believe it's Moonside?  and even THAT, even the standard "good morning!" jingle, is also warped and crazy in this crazy version of Fourside. 

Spoiler

Here's the original, so you know what it's SUPPOSED to sound like:

And here's the OH GOD NO version:

And then there's possibly the original "Oh look, what a cute little game HOLY HELL WHAT IS THAT" indie game, "Eversion".  A cute happy little game about a flower going on an adventure in a colourful world and...why does the title screen have a quote from H. P. Lovecraft...?
There's a lot of creepy soundtrack in "Eversion", but for my money, one of the best examples of it is...well, here's the World 2 soundtrack.

Spoiler

Everything is still pretty chill; the colours have faded a little but it's still pretty.  Autumn to World 1's eternal summer, shall we say.

...and THEN there's World 6.

NOTHING can be trusted anymore, not the music, not even your SCORE, which now rockets up and down in numbers with absolutely no connection to anything you're doing as a player, making you feel kinda powerless and not in control anymore. (Good thing you have infinite lives!) This also has the wonderful side effect of:  You cannot hear the ORIGINAL version of the song anymore without immediately thinking of the glitchy one.  Even the CALM version now sounds un-calming to your brain.
(You don't have to listen to the entirety of these; the only copies I could find were like ten-minute long extended ones.)

Which of course leads us to where a lot of you probably knew I was going from the beginning:  gLiTcHy music being creepy?  Seemingly cute game that turns terrifying?  Yep, it's time for the Internet's favourite adorable, colorful anime dating game turned creepypasta:
DOKI DOKI LITERATURE CLUB.  

Spoiler

The original theme song, when everything seems "fine" at the beginning...

...and, um....later:

(The part I'm mainly talking about is right at the beginning.) Every day is just full of FUN, here at the literature club! 
Another great example of:  You CANNOT, repeat, CANNOT ever hear the original song again without your ear and brain _expecting_ it to warp and break.

Bonus:  Songs ALSO Sound Creepy/Wrong When In a Different Key:  Monika's ending theme song in a minor key turns her into a Disney Villian.
(insert obvious "What, you mean she wasn't already?" joke here.)

Incidentally, when I looked up "doki doki literature club glitched music", THAT'S precisely when I also found a video called "Why is glitched music so spooky?"  I am not surprised about this at all.

Of course, there are many other examples out there in videogameland and elsewhere; these are just the main examples _I_ think of when I think of "glitched (game) music being creepy", and kinda hatelove them for it.  :)

...Notorious

Creepiest thing from DST imo: the existence of Nightmare Lights & Fissures (also Ancient Obelisks and Nightmare Ramparts) implying the presence of a 3rd Nightmare level/dimension where Nightmares dwell/are born and possible the existence plane of that One-Eyed Eldritch Shadow God-abomination depicted in Ancient Murals.

12 hours ago, Owlrust said:

For some reason, at times I always thought what they're saying sounds like: "Eyes shall fall, Eyes shall fall" "You need some help, You need some help".

7 hours ago, Terra B Welch said:

the sound file "Music_Dusk_Gonecrazier"

insanity_filtered_01.mp3

So I reversed the first seven "speech" parts of the track (the sanity_random part), and applied some basic filters and effects so it could be a bit more understandable. What got in return was this track. I believe that the speech was only partly reversed at certain syllables, but I might be wrong on that. There is some heavy LFO filtering, making it even harder to understand, and unless someone finds out the exact frequency and the exact amplitude of the LFO filter, it will be almost impossible to remove that. 

If anyone understands anything, let me know so I can edit those parts in:D Anyways, what I believe the voices are saying are as follows, and sorry in advance for the cursed edit of the already cursed recording:

Spoiler

1) We can [...] many other powers

2) To [...] one to his shade

3) The [...] people [...] righteous

4) [...]

5) Our [...] here, from

6) Come here, and we can teach

7) [...] hand in hand [...] OR and we live in [...] (dunno what that one is supposed to be lol)

Archived