[Poll] On Content Drought

Be... Ta...   

110 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it when Don't Starve Together reaches a content drought?

2. 2. Do you like how the Klei devs interact with the community at large during a content drought?

3. 3. Do you think DST should have more frequent updates than what we currently have?

4. 4. Do you think DST devs should communicate more *specifically* regarding upcoming content?

5. 5. Do you think Klei would sacrifice the quality of its updates if it pumped out content more frequently?

Spoiler

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Curabitur ante dolor, luctus in ultricies et, pellentesque quis arcu. Donec lacus lectus, ornare ac malesuada ac, finibus vel tellus. Sed lacus velit, sollicitudin a turpis et, condimentum dapibus turpis. Donec mollis leo sit amet eleifend laoreet. Quisque ultricies quam at erat malesuada, et varius lectus dapibus. Sed volutpat eu dui ut dapibus. Sed dictum, justo nec tincidunt viverra, justo magna vehicula risus, et aliquet erat justo at nisl. Etiam in justo vel velit elementum interdum scelerisque sit amet mauris. Praesent sed augue viverra, iaculis nisl ac, feugiat lectus. Suspendisse imperdiet tellus.

6 minutes ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

Content draughts are awesome, because dehydration but content wise.

All jokes aside we are in a content draught?

Well technically there hasn't been any new content for a while, but then again its been like three weeks since YOTCC so i wouldn't really call it a drought just yet

But I also want to see what ppl think of the current update intervals anyway

The game was actually in a content draught after the A New Reign was over as 6+ months would easily pass with no dev updates between Forge and Gorge events. However calling the state of DST in any content drought now would be extremely unfair, ever since 2019 and especially after 2021 the game has been getting updates constantly, every month. I can't thank Klei enough for the love and care they put on their flagship game and keeping it up to date, at a very steady pace. I'm very excited for the upcoming updates laid out in the roadmap.

That said, I would welcome more communication between the updates. Typically the developers remain silent between the update of the month, forums delve into random low quality discussions, then the update announcement post arrives and everyone rejoices. Honestly the discussions are much more constructive when there's a beta as a majority of discussions revolve around the upcoming content and the developer response is more frequent.

The current way they update the game is fine, imo. Sure, I want content now, but I also understand they can't really do it. I understand that the longer and longer a game goes on for, the harder it is to add new stuff as everything starts getting so complicated and hard to alter that I would be concerned if they started coming out faster and faster. They've essentially have no more good ways to reduce that time of monthly cycles besides become slave drivers.

Just now, GetNerfedOn said:

Well technically there hasn't been any new content for a while, but then again its been like three weeks since YOTCC so i wouldn't really call it a drought just yet

But I also want to see what ppl think of the current update intervals anyway

Truly this emphasizes the current state of the Do Not Starve Together community where we have become so spoiled with updates we call a 3 week period of "not much happening" a "content draught". This is a joke.

On a serious note a bit more communication would be nice but so far I think Klei is doing a great job. To answer the question in the poll I do like the current update schedule makes it so that there's something new every month to explore and talk about

57 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Curabitur ante dolor, luctus in ultricies et, pellentesque quis arcu. Donec lacus lectus, ornare ac malesuada ac, finibus vel tellus. Sed lacus velit, sollicitudin a turpis et, condimentum dapibus turpis. Donec mollis leo sit amet eleifend laoreet. Quisque ultricies quam at erat malesuada, et varius lectus dapibus. Sed volutpat eu dui ut dapibus. Sed dictum, justo nec tincidunt viverra, justo magna vehicula risus, et aliquet erat justo at nisl. Etiam in justo vel velit elementum interdum scelerisque sit amet mauris. Praesent sed augue viverra, iaculis nisl ac, feugiat lectus. Suspendisse imperdiet tellus

Spoiler

Secundum omnes leges aviationis nota apis volare non poterit. Utique apis usquam volat, quia non curat id quod homines putant, nec potest

I just kind of...feel indifferent toward a lot of updates, I guess. The gems like Waterlogged come, but...
The fastest way to my heart is updates that brush up on old systems, or fill in gaps in gameplay. Which, uh...
That kind of content usually comes in bits and pieces rather than en-masse, so I guess I'm used to holding my breath?

That said.
Crafting system update hype, baby.

I just want to see what they do with it. I had several ideas for a while before it was even announced, and I'd like to see za Klei's approach. Like...comparing design notes or something.
I am weirdly excited for this.
Would love to see more of these.

i'm a fricking robot

I'm willing to argue that, aside from updates like RWYS, Forbidden Knowledge, and the original batch of RoT updates that added the ocean and everything with it, we just haven't gotten any "largely-impactful" updates as of late; so the updates seem smaller. They're good, they add new stuff, locations, mobs, and interactions, but they don't send ripples throughout the entire game like a cooking rework or season changes would. They're content updates, and the QoL update might address some of that. Overall though, this year is just going to be setting the stage for the next big thing.

What counts as content? Or what counts as a content drought?

For me I enjoy the Year of the _____ events because they usually also add some tweaks/patches that help fine tune the game I don't really care about the events though.

I'm always looking forward to character reworks usually..... They give much needed love to characters that are unpopular or unfun. The best thing is when they make a character play more distinctly from the rest of the cast creating play styles only accessible to that character or synergies.

They really flesh out the game by expanding the gravitation towards these unpopular characters so we see less wend-, I mean less wigfr-I MEAN LESS WOLFGANGS. flooding all the servers.... letting others shine.....

Spoiler

jake-internal-screaming.gif.04c7a91c41f5b09ec1367f730d031c34.gif

Spoiler

262409413_200(5).gif.10a5e0b6a6433dfc65a5f56b43195202.gifOk. Wolfgang mentioned moving on.

I haven't actually actively been playing DST until recently and feels alot more like currently the game gets alot more small content updates that have patches, tweaks and some content that builds on the previous small updates content.

With occasional events, reworks, and larger content drops.

Feel like actual content droughts was most definitely back during a new reign updates atleast felt slower and fewer.

Imo it's not about the frequency but about the choices of updates. 

To me content is means new bosses, biomes, enemies, materials things to craft. 

To me content isn't character refreshes, QoL updates, 

I guess seasonal events are to a degree content but they are mostly just "fluff" and don't really add to DSTs core experience. 

I wish there was a bigger focus on what I described as content and less on the latter, as only the former really adds substantial replayability imo. 

Since one of your questions specifically asked whether we think Klei should communicate more regarding content. I'd say yes. I would love if they took in more feedback from the community. Sure a lof of people have loads of different opinions. But there is many amazing Klei Ambassadors out there like Glermz, who really know the game in and out and could be representing entire buckloads of DST superfans and their wishes for the game.

I wouldnt mind if klei stopped feeling obligated to pump out monthly updates that often times feel half baked or very small that by the time the next update hits to expand its old news, and instead just worked on a large update for 6months to a year that was expansion worthy.

Maybe thats kinda what theyre doing with the next major content drop and all of this talk about setting the stage for 2023? If 2022 just ends up giving us small stuff to set the stage and then we have to wait again while they actively push ROT style updates during 2023 ill be kinda disappointed.

You have to consider that not only does Klei have to put out these updates, but they also have to make sure they launch on PC, PlayStation & Xbox at roughly the same time- They are ALSO this year adding Nintendo Switch to that list of platforms.

Anything is possible: Nintendo has always been seen as the more kid friendly platform, and if Klei’s intentions is to start targeting kids with this franchise: Then it is highly highly possible that Nintendo could buy out the rights to Don’t Starve as a brand, Similar to how State of Decay could’ve been on ANY Console- Until they signed an exclusively deal with Microsoft.

Now let me just say that Console Exclusivity absolutely freaking sucks.. I wanted to play one of the newer spider-man games or play as him in the Avengers game, but nope Sony Exclusive.

Is that the future of the DS Franchise? It’s hard to say- but anything is possible, Klei could be working on the Switch version of the game right now and coming up with unique ways to use the controls/touch pad for the Nintendo Platform that makes playing the game on Nintendo the BEST way to play.

They already have experience with touch screen controls with DS and DS Shipwrecked Mobile.

Of course there’s going to be a “Content Drought” during their preparations to bring the franchise to a whole new Platform.

However with this game getting updates every month you guys haven’t seen a “Content Drought” 

Play a game like Rocket Arena where shortly after that game was released it’s developers completely abandoned it (it only had 2 battle pass seasons then content updates were discontinued) it did recently get one last patch though- to fix most the games bugs.. but there won’t be any more updates to RA- That’s a Content Drought.

Dont Starve Together released in 2017 on Xbox and never got the forge event at all, so the game went from 2017 to 2019 without any meaningful updates for Xbox- Now though: We have an update almost each month, and while these updates feel small most the time, some of them go a long way..

I just wish Klei would use some of those profits they made when striking their deal with Tencent to deliver to us bigger more meaningful updates-

In my opinion the ocean shouldn’t feel nowhere near as empty as it feels after it’s been a part of the game since 2019..

It feels like a “Beta Build” of an Ocean that has yet to reach its fullest potential & what makes that feel even worse is when we see scrapped concept arts for content Klei had planned for the game but had to cut due to deadlines or whatever such as that cool Water Lily critter.

It’s 2022 now and the Ocean of DST still has a long ways to go- I wish Klei would’ve used those Tencent profits to hire a larger dev team.. so we could get a bigger better game.

But any content is better then no content: So don’t complain too much.

The last few updates haven't been it. Pretty disapointing since just after the relogic eye for eye crossover. Ocean could really use more love, wolfgang rework was bad, and yotx is super boring.

You know this whole QoL and Rework updates thing kinda reminds me when Klei was doing a bunch of event updates when the forge and gorge were new like 3 years ago and the base game remained untouched for month and months.

13 minutes ago, sudoku said:

I wouldnt mind if klei stopped feeling obligated to pump out monthly updates that often times feel half baked or very small that by the time the next update hits to expand its old news, and instead just worked on a large update for 6months to a year that was expansion worthy.

Maybe thats kinda what theyre doing with the next major content drop and all of this talk about setting the stage for 2023? If 2022 just ends up giving us small stuff to set the stage and then we have to wait again while they actively push put ROT style updates again during 2023 ill be kinda disappointed.

me too but it doesn't really seem sustainable in 2022's gaming market where everything is a service.

10 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

The last few updates haven't been it. Pretty disapointing since just after the relogic eye for eye crossover. Ocean could really use more love, wolfgang rework was bad, and yotx is super boring.

You know this whole QoL and Rework updates thing kinda reminds me when Klei was doing a bunch of event updates when the forge and gorge were new like 3 years ago and the base game remained untouched for month and months.

me too but it doesn't really seem sustainable in 2022's gaming market where everything is a service.

Yes but look at Terraria whose devs just won the labor of love award on steam, they have this approach where there is sometimes months to a year or several with no updates and then bam they drop one woth hundreds of new items and and stuff to play around with.

Im not saying klei couldnt keep releasing new skins and finish the reworks, i just would like to see them adopt a similar approach.

I think many of the concerns in this thread are addressed in the roadmap

I acknowledge that we want to change things up a bit. But right now, we have an obligation to finish our current schedule, and there is no way we could possibly do it any faster or any larger than we already have. And I mean this with all due respect, but I don't know of any other game out there that put out as much for their players as we do. Our team is working their asses off to get it out to everybody as fast as possible.  

We have never made it a priority to communicate too heavily about the game on the forums, or in promo material because we've generally felt that those resources are better spent on the game rather than hype. So we communicate through our updates, and check in from time to time if we need to address an issue. 

What some of you are feeling right now happens every year, just after the holidays. It's a time right after our busiest time of the year and just after a bunch of holiday events and while the new roadmap spins up and we move toward the next cycle.

As noted in the last update three weeks ago, we have beta coming very soon (which I will be posting about next week) which is going to need a lot of testing. We have a whole series of things we have to get through before we can get on to the next be phase for the game. But for now, as noted in the roadmap, we're going to keep on doing what we do, how we've been doing it till roughly March of next year. 

Again, we understand that people would like to see more content related updates, but like I said previously. We have some work to do first. 

Archived