Wickerbottom Rework Ideas

We have 2 threads of the 4 remaining characters, might as well ask: what do people think Wickerbottom’s should get during her rework?

I think unfortunately for Wickerbottom, she’s no longer as appealing a character to play when compared to the past 2 years of reworks and character additions. Instead, I see her as more of a character you use late-game to farm basic resources faster, WX’s personal charge station, or Krampus Sacks/darts for the team.

Maybe she should get more spell books that benefit herself and a more interesting downside, since her current ones might as well not exist (she can’t sleep plus her dislike of stale & spoiled foods). 

I can’t really think of anything for this Librarian unfortunately.

Librarian loses a chunk of sanity during boss' screeches, you know, the ones follower panic at. This is just a flavor downside, it's not like it matters much. If you really care, get the rabbit earmuffs. 

For a more serious downside, she is an old woman. Wouldn't be opposed to giving her some downsides of old Wanda, like not lifting statues, knobbly tree nuts, etc (I don't think it's that big of deal). 

We already have two  shadow magic users. And as Wickerbottom is the one that helped Woodie deal with his curse, which is dependent on the moon, I think you can see where I'm going with this. 

Let her gather some sort of resource during the full moon and from things influenced by it (werepigs, glommer, stuff like that) that will be the equivalent of nightmare fuel, and give her a wide variety of interaction with lunar content. Hopefully we get more for all characters, but she could get more? 

I don't like throwing very specific ideas around like stats and such, so this is roughly what I can come up with that I think could be interesting.

I also hope she gets a more interesting and relevant downside. I was thinking something related to her sanity bar, in the same way that Wormwood and wanda have special HP. 

An idea i had: negative sanity: when wicker uses books at 0 sanity she goes in the negative down to -250. Depending on the amount of negative sanity she could gain access to certain things/powers (idk what tehe).

a unique sanity mechanic like this would be really fitting for her imo.

If they decide to go really crazy with her and give her some awesome new powers i think it would also be fitting if she got some innate combat downsides since shes an old lady. Like receiving more damage etc. 

when it comes to new books there was a thread a while ago with a lot of great ideas. 

Just now, QuartzBeam said:

That would be a huge deal. Wanda can become young again. Wickerbottom cannot. And this would essentially lock her out of lots of content.

Maybe I'm skewed, because Beefalo taming always ends up on my to do list, and it's rather sooner than later. 

1 minute ago, BezKa said:

Maybe I'm skewed, because Beefalo taming always ends up on my to do list, and it's rather sooner than later. 

With that suggestion, she wouldn't even be able to put statues on the beefalo since she can never lift it in the first place.

Just now, lakhnish said:

With that suggestion, she wouldn't even be able to put statues on the beefalo since she can never lift it in the first place.

True, I guess. I don't know how difficult it would be to code allowing her to lift it if she's mounted. I was looking for a big downside, but I guess not lifting statues is too much. 

I have some raw ideas which I think would be interesting to expand on:

1.) Self-Publishing Books
The perk should grant you complete control over the magical books you can write. Perhaps a special station, with which you mix up various ingredients to make ink, while also being able to make different quills which empower those spells differently depending on the gems you have used.

The ink should function like crockpot does - you discover the recipes by yourself by mixing up ingredients until you succeed in attaining one of special inks. The gem quills enrich the ink with more power, whether it be taking full control of Summoned things with Green Gem, Empowering magic effectiveness with Red Gems, taking advantage of Nightmare Fuel for bonus effects through Purple Gems (take for example Thulecite Club, or the muscles from Codex Umbra in Wolfgang's animated short), and so on.

There should be special flowers growing throughout in constant in different biomes, perhaps also depending on season. They will appear randomly, and keep still, like Lureplants. They can be simply eaten too for wild effects, cooked in a crockpot, or used to make actual Ink.

For example: You can mix up to 3 ingredients in some sort of Ink Station. Let's try 1 seaweed, 1 fish morsel, 1 nightshade (which should grow at Night in a Graveyard Biome). Using that ink to write on a papyrus will grant you a Mermfolk Book, which will summon 5 Merms. Using a Green Gem on a quill to empower it, the book will instead summon Loyal Merm Guards, which are fully obedient to you as if you were Wurt. Of course, perhaps temporarily or with another catch, just so not to "replace" Wurt.

2.) Enchantments
If "Minecraft" is the first thing that came to your mind, you'll already guess many of the possibilities. Perhaps Wickerbottom should infuse tools, weapons, armors, and maybe also even structures with magic to empower them, depending on which ingredients you have used to make such tools. A Gold Pickaxe, fueled with 3 Nightmare Fuel + 1 Red Gem, could make it mine twice as fast. Perhaps even boost a crockpot with an expensive gem to make it cook 33% faster, lasting either indefinitely or requiring the enchantment again after long time.

I have also seen Pruinae's excellent idea in one of my threads which could work very well (and I was also inspired by HowlVoid's post in there for self-publishing books).
Source:

On 11/7/2021 at 11:01 PM, Pruinae said:

I think information perks make a lot of sense for her. Knowing exactly when things are going to happen, such as: when hound waves are coming, when bosses are going to respawn, when it's going to rain (and for how long), when a frog rain is going to happen (and for how long), how long the current ruins' phase will last, how long until the next relevant moon phase (full or new), how long the current season is going to last, when the next deerclops/bearger is going to come, and probably more that I'm forgetting. I don't know how to implement that though, maybe a study table?

Wickerbottom strikes me as someone who would watch out for patterns in the environment, and try to predict them to make plans more efficiently. In trailers and in the voicelines she strikes me as kind of the "leader" of the group, with everyone looking up to her.

Since she is librarian, it would make sense she would organize her books in bookshelves, they'd have to be able to hold a considerable amount of books to be more useful than just dropping hundreds of books at the same spot though.

You know what, I like how Klei did combat spell books for Wickerbottom during the Forge, especially the Tome of Beckoning that summoned a Magma Golem to deal damage (albeit there were only two books).

If she had more books like that, I think it'd make her more interesting. 

Tentacle book should be freindly towards players but also limit the amount you can place in a single tile. That way they can actually be used in combat without griefing and balancing them out a bit. This also pushes her into the spellcaster role which id like to see, a nerf to her health would also make sense in this sense since the other 2 older character share this trait.

This kind of kills the beequeen rush strat but id trade that for being able to use the tentacles for more fights in general.

I don't have new ideas to add at this point but so far my favourite suggestions from others in this thread and the linked one above are: 

-book that spawns a bunch of fish around you on the ocean

-bookcase to store books in (wig scrolls, maps, codex umbra, cookbook etc should all be able to be stored in it as well)

-book that spawns several rock formations (boulder, gold boulder, moonrock boulder etc) around you depending on biome 

-book that summons rain or changes seasonal weather for x amount of time or x amount of days 

-book that allows you to spawn mushtrees (on the surface too).

Can't even imagine what the rework itself will be about, but I can think of potential nerfs like that (I don't actually want nerfs though):

Ok, so instead of getting even less stats from stale/spoiled food, she just refuses to eat it entirely.

Can't use books at 0 sanity (Wes can't spawn balloons at 0 sanity too, right?)

Wickerbottom is the biggest wild card out of the yet-to-be-refreshed characters. It's impossible to tell what her refresh might do, because her current iteration does not have an ounce of cohesion in her overall design; she's just a bunch of random perks slapped together and loosely connected via a superficial "book" theme.

She's can mass produce grass & twigs, kick start farms, slowly put mobs to sleep, make blow darts... somewhat viable, farm krampus sacks, activate a completely unrelated character's perk and, uh, summon tentacles?

To be honest, I wouldn't mind losing a bunch of those books if it meant the character getting restructured so they have a more cohesive direction. (I think a lot of them are pretty niche anyway.)

On 11/7/2021 at 9:35 PM, HowlVoid said:

I think that instead of adding more books, Wicker could modify the existing ones. She has her own crafting table where the book is placed and then she edits those books with one of two quills. These books need to be preped ahead of time and the quills are made from different feathers (blue or red). Red quills create an advanced version of the books giving them more power at the cost of less uses. Blue quills shorten the books to a simpler version with less power and more uses. 

Abridged versions also cost less sanity to use and advanced versions cost more. Wicker should also be unable to use the books if she doesn't have the necessary sanity to justify their power.

Birds of the world, Abridged- Summons far less birds but they leave feathers when they fly off.

Birds of the world, Advanced- Birds fly in a circle around Wicker causing enemies to attack them instead of her. Acts as 1 free hit for Wicker and her allies at least until night time or a bird dies in which case they'll all fly away (doesn't work underground). Each ally gets their own separate shield.

Sleepy time stories, Abridged- Enemies are made groggy, which essentially just means they are greatly slowed down. The effect is greater at dawn and night.

Sleepy time stories, Advanced- Faster casting and the enemy is placed into a far deeper sleep (one full day). Will only affect a single target and it will not be woken up when allies are hit. The mob also takes exactly 5 seconds to wake up after being hit for bosses and 10 for anything else, allowing for extra hits. Bosses become more resistant over time.

On tentacles, Abridged- tentacles in range of wicker will be healed rather than sprout new ones.

On tentacles, Advanced- Spawns one tentacle but wicker can choose its spawning place.

The end is nigh, Abridged- Lightning will only strike mobs and not set them on fire (hits all mobs on screen). Deals 30 damage per lightning bolt and hitting a mob more than once requires a separate read.

The end is nigh, Advanced- All 16 Lightning strikes are condensed in one location and deal 30 damage per lightning bolt. One time use book -250 sanity. Can combo with sleepy time stories, advanced.

Horticulture, Abridge is renamed to applied horticulture.

Applied horticulture, Abridged- tends to all plants on screen.

Applied horticulture, Advanced- Grows one plant to its giant version. One time use book and drains -100 sanity.

Applied silviculture, Abridged- All non-edible plants are protected from weather effects (Not growing in Winter/Burning and withering in summer). They'll have a small golden aura.

Applied silviculture, Advanced- All non-edible plants on screen are grown and then harvested.

I'll just post my old Idea because I'm feeling too lazy right now.

50 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Wickerbottom is the biggest wild card out of the yet-to-be-refreshed characters. It's impossible to tell what her refresh might do, because her current iteration does not have an ounce of cohesion in her overall design; she's just a bunch of random perks slapped together and loosely connected via a superficial "book" theme.

She's can mass produce grass & twigs, kick start farms, slowly put mobs to sleep, make blow darts... somewhat viable, farm krampus sacks, activate a completely unrelated character's perk and, uh, summon tentacles?

To be honest, I wouldn't mind losing a bunch of those books if it meant the character getting restructured so they have a more cohesive direction. (I think a lot of them are pretty niche anyway.)

I cant say her ‘lack of cohesion’ has ever bothered me tbh. I think its actually central to her character. Shes a librarian who ‘knows many things’ after all. She creates her own library in the constant and libraries by nature are not cohesive. 

Ive always thought it was really fun that her books cover many different things and its up to the creativity of the player to make good use of them. 

I dont think a librarian should be specialized around 1 thing. 

The only book i wouldnt miss is the end is nigh, and even then id rather see it be made useful for something other than charging WX instead of removed entirely. The book even has a skin. 

Honestly id love to see wickerbottom get like 20 books or something covering all kinds of things.

Arcane esoteric knowledge about the most minute silly niche thing (like summoning birds) is such an iconic and endearing aspect of Wickerbottom in my eyes. 

I wouldn't be surprised if she becomes a general spellcaster, both inside and outside of combat. She clearly is more than just a smart old woman who likes books. She was seeking knowledge in the mystic arts, and as the previous reworks show, Maxwell likely tempted her with exactly what she wanted. 

Basically we have a lot of characters who buff the team without many characters that debuff enemies in one way or another.

Putting spells on every enemy on screen to make them pacified and not attack players, or better yet, violent and aggro on to anything close to them, even their own kind.

The ability to summon an AOE geyser of water. Any enemy that is in the AOE becomes wet and is more susceptible to freezing (halving the amount of ice staff hits it takes to freeze). A good way to get guaranteed electric damage.

A spell that projects herself somewhere else to draw aggro while still being safe

Etc.

I quite like Wicker and have a couple of ideas...

1.She can make blueprints for other people, simple and useful for things like bundling wrap. All you need is a papyrus.

2. Instead of the end is nigh, she has a book that causes it to rain, and it also has a chance to cause a "super lighting strike" to nearby creatures and structures, make sure you have a lighting rod or WX nearby! (5 uses, one of which will always call lightning)

3. A book that causes most nearby mobs to become passive unless attacked for around a minute, a simple get out of jail free-card. (Anything shadow or celestial related is immune to its effects, there is no escaping the Splumonkeys!)

4. Wickers suffers from her old age, and anything that drains sanity (non mob related, shadow tools and her books, which will have their initial sanity cost lowered to compensate!) Will have double the cost. (This one's a bit more experimental, but I just want a consensus on it) 

Some small misc changes

-sanity around cartoons. any activity related to writing such as mapmaking will have a shorter animation, except books. 

I'd love to hear other book ideas, cause they're kinda hard to come up with, and also have general use case scenarios, so don't be afraid to just throw stuff out there, I wanna hear it all!

Wickerbottom is an insomniac, but I think she is a sleeper. :-D

"Nothing is more dangerous than a man who knows the past." 

She is a librarian and probably had the Codex in her library before William took it (or was chosen by it).

I'm really looking forward to her rework and animation short. 

I used to 2nd main Wicker until all the people crying she needed to be Nerfed into the ground.. now I don’t even play her anymore despite buying a cool skin for her, don’t want to enjoy how she plays now and watch her get Nerfed later but if we are to go off her vignettes and artwork: it’s books..

and not just any books, Powerful ones at that: Merlin level power ones..

I think she should retain all that power but make that power require more work & effort more unique ingredients required in the books crafting or use or something to that effect..

I don’t honestly think she needs a massive facelift of an overhaul OR much more difficult downside: because the one she has newbies already struggle with enough as is,  if they make downsides too much: people will be unlikely to be able to enjoy the character, there’s a reason most downsides are vanishing..

I just hope they don’t nerf her into the ground like some people seem to be genuinely happy if happened.

I once said before, I'd like just a small change related to her being so knowledgeable and educated. I think, she has enough books already and shouldn't get an additional crafting tab, but maybe give her the limited ability to fortell certain events in the world. It doesn't have to be revolutionary useful, just make her a walking rainometer, let her determine some food stats without mods or the time until the next hound wave or nightmarephase. Give her some unique utility skills that are not available ot other characters. And I personally think, people who stopped playing her after the rework never liked Wickerbottom herself, they just liked Applied Horticulture...

Tl;dr: pls don't touch her book stuff, just add subtle utility she can deliver through text, that would suit her the most.

I believe that we shouldn't ignore the fact that Wickerbottom is primarily the character that "knows many things", even including lunar related stuff which can be seen from her examination quotes.

If her knowledge on shadow magic lead to her current books, imagine what her knowledge on lunar magic could lead to. As pointed out, she also helped Woodie manipulate his curse to his own advantage, meaning that she understands the transformative power of the moon.

Maybe she could craft a book with moon moths that would allow her to transform all shadow weapons/tools in a radius to their lunar counterparts. Maybe she could use a book made out of moon gleams to temporarily convert her sanity to enlightenment, just because she is already kind of "enlightened" with the possibilities the Constant can offer.

These are just some lunar related concepts I have in my mind, and I believe that Wickerbottom is a well designed character who needs some lore related perks and some engaging disadvantages. Because of her knowledge, she should, without a doubt, feel like a superior character compared to most of the other survivors, but because she is an old librarian, I would also expect her to be a high maintenance character.

That said, I also think that Wickerbottom's current state is kind of underwhelming and she shouldn't lose anything from her kit, even if it is being replaced with something better. She is the best at what she does right now, but the other survivors (excluding WX-78) don't seem to need her knowledge that much. She is always a good addition to the team, but does that make her an essential team player? Sadly no. Same goes for the solo players too. Do solo players appreciate the occasional Wickerbottom switches? A hundred times yes. Would it be better if she brought something other than grass and twigs stocks? Also yes.

Archived