What characters would you have for a full team?

Let’s say that you had to play a game with a 6-person crew, I’m not sure what for maybe a competition or something, and like everyone is your skill level and no one is going to try to mess up on purpose. With that in mind, what characters would you want everyone to be and what tasks would you want those specific characters to accomplish?

I take it this would be a team comp that can't take advantage of character swapping (as that would ruin the nature of the thread)

1. Wanda - Damage and support through teleportation networks
  2. Maxwell - Early game gathering/nightmare fuel farm. Later will just be someone who is good with dark swords and night armor
  3. Warly - provide buffs and general base upkeep/farming (basically in charge of making sure the survivors are fed)
  4. Wigfrid - Above average damage + armor for the gang. Can also provide combat buffs
  5. Wendy - General crowd control when needed (farming spiders, making BQ a cakewalk, shadow splumonkeys, etc.)
  6. Wes - because...
    Spoiler

image.thumb.png.af04a7c6748b35a061e666f428cc1117.png

Hmm, my pick would go something along the lines of:

• Winona: Catapults, Trusty Tapes, Fast Crafting.
  • Wanda: Teleportation Networks, unreal amount of damage, revival support.
  • Wigfrid: Armor & Weaponry, Battle Songs
  • Warly: Head Chef, Spices, portable pot, gourmet dishes.
  • Woodie: Expert gatherer, explorer, pest exterminator.
  • Willow: Bernies, Nightmare fuel collection, better fuel usage

2 hours ago, RichNCrispy said:

Let’s say that you had to play a game with a 6-person crew, I’m not sure what for maybe a competition or something, and like everyone is your skill level and no one is going to try to mess up on purpose.

Since we'd all be doomed from the get-go I guess we could go full Wes for the memes.

Wormwood- Cause food

Wormwood- Cause living logs

Wormwood- For moral support

Wormwood- For easy sanity management

Wormwood- Cause early game exploration

Wormwood- Cause easy healing

I think I have a good team, but Idk I might be a little biased.

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Hmm, my pick would go something along the lines of:

• Winona: Catapults, Trusty Tapes, Fast Crafting.
  • Wanda: Teleportation Networks, unreal amount of damage, revival support.
  • Wigfrid: Armor & Weaponry, Battle Songs
  • Warly: Head Chef, Spices, portable pot, gourmet dishes.
  • Woodie: Expert gatherer, explorer, pest exterminator.
  • Willow: Bernies, Nightmare fuel collection, better fuel usage

That's a really good team but I would switch Willow for Wormwood. Wormwood can help Warly get a really good starting amount of seeds and give everyone darkswords. Wanda can farm nightmare fuel on a boat faster than Willow can.

• Wendy: Early beefalo rush, rush bee queen, general meat and spider items source.
  • Wanda: Early damage support and revival, early nightmare fuel farming, later doing long distance activities like Pearl's quests, crafting things at ruins every time Dfly dies, helping the team to move around.

I'll add 4 more just to stay on topic, I wouldn't really need anything else, but to overkill:

• Warly: special dishes, special foods, farm slave. Beefalo warrior x2
  • Wickerbottom: Specialized seeds kickstarter, grass/twigs/reeds power farm, krampus sack early farm, sleep effect spam for general use, emergency food production, emergency living logs production, dart power farming.
  • Winona: For general basebuilding, anti hound system, anti antlion system, splash damage support on some bosses (like fuelweaver's woven shadows) and farming things that require killing (pigs, merms, birds with the assistance of wickerbottom). 
  • Wurt: crafting merms to farm with catapults and be turned into waterproofing food by warly, general resource gatherer (wood and stone), late game soloing quickly, cheaply and effortlessly dragonfly and bee queen. Wurt doesn't have much problems getting living logs constantly in the late game either as she both summons and quickly dispatches the treeguards.

I always support versatility, like, I don't think a character should stay doing the same thing over and over, it's also boring for the player. Most characters I've picked are versatile in that they can use their perks to do many other things than what I've mentioned, even if for the main tasks I picked for them there are other characters that are specifically better.

warly for spicy and farming

wigfrid for easy armor and in general something for combat

wortox for easy group healing

walter for more item space and other good on the run stuff and sanity regen

wicker for various souports and eary game since walkin since machine

wurt for the one that goes on the waters and moon isle

i see it that way, wicker makes some stuff for everyone and then uses a scince machine so she can build lanterns for wigfrid and walter.
wigfrid and walter do ruins rushing, and warly gives them food for the cave
wurt makes boat rushing the waters, and maybe finding moon isle
wortox runs in the overworld and kills a bunch of stuff, givin food items to warly
wicker and warly look for a good place for base

this seems like a good team to me

Thing is not only skill levels matter, but preferences too, for example, would team try to be as efficient as possible (time-wise or resource-wise), go for maximum safety during boss fights or, on the contrary, would be up for challenges like armorless Bee Queen or Fuelweaver without lazy explorer? Would it be building megabase with maximum diversity of items used in designs? Would it be default settings or something close to "nothing world" survival challenge counts too?

I'm going to assume changing characters is not allowed and all 6 players share the same preferences.

Keep in mind that since I didn't have a chance to test 6-people team of various character combinations, relatively high level of knowledge of game mechanics and above average mechanical skill, I can miss a lot of things, but I'll try my best regardless.

For default settings longterm survival (not megabase though), optimization in terms of resources and safe fights (but without exploits and cheese) I think the following team would be good:

1. Warly. For damage/damage reduction buffs and surpassing damage tresholds for himself and other characters, for honey spice buff early on and for clearing ruins, for fast cooking on multiple crock pot station bundles worth of food, for weather protection, for reliable garlic seeds early on.

2. Wendy. For AoE, damage boost (+10% per player), for saving resources while setting up silk auto-farm and giant honey farm, for walling up monkey zone relatively safely, for annihilating rockjaws and gnarwhails so they don't ruin upcoming fights or generally don't bother crew, for best frog rain protection in the game (why isn't there a fish rain too, for example, after defeating Crab King?);

I guess sisturn on boat will also be nice since sanity aura affects each player (effectively reaching 25*6=150 sanity per minute without Bee Queen crown at the cost of 4 petals in case 6 players are nearby).

3. Wanda. For teleport network and nightmarefuel farm, also for reviving others with second chance watch should something go wrong.

4. Wormwood. For farming, for reliable and conveniently produced living logs (to help Wanda rush shadow manipulator, to give living logs for ruins rushers from the start), for turning rot and rotten eggs into something useful (why is there no cleaning process in DST which removes rot, rotten eggs, guano, etc. lying on the ground?).

The following 2 can be any characters from the list:

a. Wortox. For lot's of healing and helping Wormwood to produce living logs (although the latter can do it quite fast without help, but with Wortox it would be even faster).

b. Wigfrid. For crowd control during Klaus and Bee Queen fights, durability saving is also nice to have, as well as sanity regen/lowered sanity depletion during boss fights. Helmets quickly will become irrelevant because of thulecite crowns, as well as battle spear because of dark swords/morning stars.

c. Maxwell. Versatile resouce gatherer who can perform good both in early game (rocks) and late game (boards with cave stalker), both on surface and underground, and generally lacks disadvantage if beefalo is domesticated (but even without beefalo 75 health is not a big deal, especially with Wanda nearby).

d. Winona. For auto-farms, multiple hound and debth worm killing areas on both maps, fast materials refining.

But personally I would go with 2-3 people and some inefficient and risky challenges like Woodie (weremoose) and Wortox armorless Bee Queen; Wendy and Webber "vanilla public server simulator" (postapocalyptic world, can be simulated by disabling everything destructible (except such world won't have a lot of charcoal, rot and spider queens from the start)); lights out celestial champion speedrun attempt (and permanent full moon along the way), trying to fight bosses as duo or trio and optimise strategies based on character choice (not vise versa), try together some mods like "floor is lava", "glutton tournament", "feast and famine", "picky eater", etc.; try "Adventure Mode" and "Teleportato" mods as a team.

1 hour ago, Guille6785 said:

this is an interesting thought experiment but the goals in the question are too vague to be able to decide tbh

I’d love to be more specific, but at some point I’m making up rules for a competition, y’know? And then I might as well go and make it an actual competition.

15 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

I'd just like to know what the final goal is

You have to build a scaled chest and fill it with 12 impressive items. You also must decorate the area around the chest. You have a maximum of one year game time to accomplish it.

Wendy: Sits soullessly while Abigail slaughters butterflies on top of a flower
Wilson: Picks up the butterflies
Wortox: Gets souls from butterflies
Wormwood: Heals from souls and chops himself
Wickerbottom: Grows twigs and vegs to cook Butter Muffins
WX-78: Eats the Butter Muffins

With a number as big as 6 characters, a focus on battle perks is less important. Boss battles wouldn't last long enough to be any fun.

I think Wolfgang, Warly, Wigfrid and to some degree, Willow wouldn't be such an asset to the team. 

Wendy, Wormwood, Wickerbottom, Woody, Maxwell, and Wurt would be more important as resources would be depleted very quickly.

Genuinely I think 6 Willows would be decently effective.

12,000 health to burn through with the Bernies, as well as a nice bonus 150 dps (bernie hits every 2 seconds).

Bernies make farming Hounds and Shadow Monkeys for teeth and Beard Hair a breeze.

Boating is easy as Willow with the sanity gain from fire, and ruins are laughable with a sewing kit or 2.

It's certainly not optimal, but 6 people is enough to take on almost every boss mindlessly, without needing the optimal strategy. 

also her lighter is genuinely busted please nerf

1 hour ago, RichNCrispy said:

You have to build a scaled chest and fill it with 12 impressive items. You also must decorate the area around the chest. You have a maximum of one year game time to accomplish it.

character choice doesn't matter too much as long as you can rush bosses effectively but i'd recommend walter for exploration 

Archived