[Game Update] - Public Testing - 482255

• Developer

U37PublicTesting.gif

Hi everyone, 

Today we’re opening the Public Testing branch to the first batch of changes from our next update to Oxygen Not Included: Spaced Out! 

This update is focused on adding some unique cluster options, making research more accessible, and filling some gaps in the radiation/nuclear gameplay.

The Virtual Planetarium has been restored! ‘Orbital Research’ has now been rethemed to ‘Data Analysis Research’ and is now generated by processing data disks at the Virtual Planetarium. Data disks can be generated in a number of ways, including using the Orbital Data Collection Lab, studying geysers, analyzing artifacts, and searching satellites and inspectable POIs.

The new Radiation Lamp building projects a predictable cone of radiation when supplied with uranium ore. We hope this will be useful for producing a reliable and controllable bit of radiation.

For clusters: We’re excited to try out a new series of options that lean heavily into Spaced Out! mechanics. In these clusters the starting asteroid is smaller, there are fewer biomes per asteroid, and instead of two nearby asteroids there are four. Sustainability in these clusters might require visiting multiple worlds and some creative thinking.

Also, we designed these worlds in a way such that you can choose which you start on, so there are actually five new cluster options! These are generally meant to be harder starts with varying degrees of difficulty for players looking for a challenge.

These cluster options are still very much ‘works in progress’. We expect them to change substantially as the testing period progresses. Most world traits on these clusters are temporarily disabled so we can get cleaner feedback on the base configurations. 

You can check out the patch notes below to see what’s included so far.

Thanks!

What does this testing branch contain so far?

Spoiler

Features

• Spaced Out! Only
    • New “Fractured” experimental Spaced Out! Style clusters:
      • Metallic Swampy
      • Frozen Forest
      • The Badlands
      • Flipped
      • Radioactive Ocean
    • Reworked how Orbital Research is done:
      • Renamed Orbital Research to Data Analysis Research and Orbital Microlab to Orbital Data Collection Lab.
      • Re-implemented the Virtual Planetarium.
      • Orbital Data Collection Lab now creates Data Banks
      • Added many new sources of Data Data Banks around the world in (POIs, Artifact, Geysers)
    • Added Radiation Lamp building.

Changes

• All Versions
    • Small adjustments to Main Menu to better support UI layout on lower resolution displays.
    • Added Element class Database category icons. 
    • Added Element class Database descriptions for Filtration Mediums, Ice, and Refined Metals 
  • Base Game Only
    • Minor changes to Choose Destination Screen layout.
  • Spaced Out! Only
    • Moved Diamond Press automation output port down two tiles so it is easier to access.
    • Changes to Choose Destination Screen layout.
    • Added exclamation status when a rocket’s Spacefarer module is unreachable.
    • Hook up icons for new achievements
    • Updated Cosmic Archeology achievement description.
    • Modding
      • Replaced nameTable with nameTables in cluster configs. Name tables are merged when selecting a random name.

Bugs

• All Versions
    • Fixed bug causing Diamond Press to lose an automation input port.
    • Fix Nosh Sprout not respecting its safe atmosphere requirements.
    • Fixed issue causing dead critters to show up in daily reports counts.
    • Fixed Polluted Oxygen and Oxylite bubbles appearing above FOW.
    • Timelapse screenshots are now stored in folders matching a unique world id, instead of possibly non-unique world names.
    • Fix progression display for Easy Livin achievement
    • Performance
      • Significantly Improved performance of Duplicant and critter name label display.
      • Reduce frame time by spreading out animation position offset updates over multiple frames. 
  • Spaced Out! Only
    • Fixed Radical Trip achievement string.
    • Fixed issue causing Terrestrial Artifacts to lose the Cosmic Archaeology achievement’s tag on load.
    • Fixed issue preventing incapacitated Duplicants from being carried to a medical cot outside of the rocket they are in.
    • Fixed crash when composting seeds with different mutations in the same cell.
    • Mutation information of unidentified seeds is no longer displayed in the UI.
    • Possible fix to meteors depositing material outside the worlds they appear on.
    • Fixed issue that allowed Dupes to refuel Research Reactors even when fuel delivery was disabled by automation.
    • Fixed crash that occurred when activating the Temporal Tear Opener. 
    • Fixed crash caused by having an evaporating liquid sit on top of a Solar Panel.
    • Worldgen
      • Improved oil biome placement reliability on Rusty Oil Asteroid.
      • Alternate Pod Location world trait restricted to starting worlds only.
      • Prevent generating worlds where the starting area template overlaps the borders.

What is public testing?

"Public testing" means players get to test-drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is an unfinished and in active development version of the game, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs, crashes or balance issues while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing on the Testing branch.

Regarding performance, the Testing branch has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Testing branch, it cannot be reopened again in the previous Live branch or previous builds.

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the public testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Default branch until the game launches in full. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become an public tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included plus the Spaced Out! DLC and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the public testing build?

You can switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "public_testing"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

View full update

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Ninja 1
  • Health 2
  • Big Ups 2
  • GL Happy 2

46 minutes ago, JarrettM said:

The Virtual Planetarium has been restored! ‘Orbital Research’ has now been rethemed to ‘Data Analysis Research’ and is now generated by processing data disks at the Virtual Planetarium. Data disks can be generated in a number of ways, including using the Orbital Data Collection Lab, studying geysers, analyzing artifacts, and searching satellites and inspectable POIs.

Ask and ye shall receive?  Sweet!

47 minutes ago, JarrettM said:

The new Radiation Lamp building projects a predictable cone of radiation when supplied with uranium ore. We hope this will be useful for producing a reliable and controllable bit of radiation.

Another frequently requested addition.  You guys are killing it with this update!

• Like 2
  • GL Happy 1

1 hour ago, JarrettM said:

I love it! More nice animations and whats more important - possiblity to advance research even if player doesn't like rocketry part of the game (or is playing on huge map and couldn't dig up to the surface yet). 10/10, great move!

Great, we have waited so long for it! Finally our mutants can grow in steady, green light. 

26 minutes ago, fredhp said:

But, it would be nice if it can be placed on ceiling and on the floor, not just on the walls! 

Would be nice, but this way it is more challenging to design farms, and that means more fun solving that riddle ;) If you don't like the riddles, I'm sure there will be mod to rotate it 360*

Edited by pether
  • Like 3
  • GL Happy 1

27 minutes ago, babba said:

Very nice :)

I would find it great to someday have a radiation powered laser, which melts through tiles and generates a lot of heat. Star Wars style tile mining :p

image.thumb.png.3bfefc985b5bd8631257e5dde0bda841.png

..... almost a death star gun! RIP Alderaan colony :( 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, pether said:

I love it! More nice animations and whats more important - possiblity to advance research even if player doesn't like rocketry part of the game (or is playing on huge map and couldn't dig up to the surface yet). 10/10, great move!

Agreed.  More options to get from A to B is has been an ONI staple for years, so I'm glad to see space research get the same treatment.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, babba said:

Very nice :)

I would find it great to someday have a radiation powered laser, which melts through tiles and generates a lot of heat. Star Wars style tile mining :p

nice idea, i to had also sometime ago idea that why they still not made something like this

XpcO2.png

they todo that for rockets tho but not for dupes self

Edited by gabberworld
  • Like 1

Also, we designed these worlds in a way such that you can choose which you start on, so there are actually five new cluster options!

Now we really, REALLY need random option start, so the game could choose starting cluster and world traits at random, so we had more fun exploring the space! Because when you know what is in your cluster, its not really exploring, its just searching

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Health 1
  • Big Ups 2

12 hours ago, pether said:

Now we really, REALLY need random option start, so the game could choose starting cluster and world traits at random, so we had more fun exploring the space! Because when you know what is in your cluster, its not really exploring, its just searching

+100

Playing with random traits also grants the Totally random achievement.

Also, clicking on "Totally random" with the world generator only works once per hour. The button overheats in the menu after its use...after 60 minutes a dupe walks in to the world generation menu and repairs the "Totally random" button. This makes the achievement more valuable and prevents players from constantly re-rolling traits in the menu.

12 hours ago, gabberworld said:

nice idea, i to had also sometime ago idea that why they still not made something like this

XpcO2.png

they todo that for rockets tho but not for dupes self

image.png.0b23e13436ea840c0f535d367f544c48.pngimage.png.77cf4cd6b2b0283877f3dce5466f2180.png  The extinct buttaknifebird from dupe land

Edited by babba
  • Like 3

Unh... Anybody else get something broken in game? As in... Can't save!!! :cry:

There is indeed enough space to save. I've also deleted the folder in retiredcolonies which was happily recreated by ONI so it's not a permissions issue.

I also did reload the game with all mods disabled and still got the "can't save" status...

1551811039_Brokenstuff.thumb.png.19ef7d5ef79d226b55c7aa29916f8f29.png

Before I disabled mods the game eventually crashed...

761792059_Brokenstuffp2.thumb.png.b55568ff485a263e983b3e4dc471d5ed.png

Gonna check the bugs section to see how many innocent savefiles are causing panic.

Update: Reinstalled game, issue fixed.

• Sad Dupe 1

M-SWMP-C-1270468266-0 i got an extra 2 metal volcanoes on a metal swamp for 3 gold, 2 cobalt, and a copper.  i've also seen iron spawn too.  i suppose this isn't intentional as it only seems to happen when starting on the metal swamp.  btw we don't get much aluminum on these shattered asteroids, enough for a couple things but not much

edit: i got an extra gold volcano on a badlands world generated.  still seems odd for a SO map

this is with using a mod to highlight POIs

image.thumb.png.8b0792c1213e26065b8f8f777d365d95.png

the flipped asteroid seems to try making a sand/mafic rock tunnel to the surface but it rarely makes it all the way through to the bottom of the magma layer

Edited by zach123b
further playing around

6 hours ago, JarrettM said:
  • Reworked how Orbital Research is done:
    • Renamed Orbital Research to Data Analysis Research and Orbital Microlab to Orbital Data Collection Lab.
    • Re-implemented the Virtual Planetarium.
    • Orbital Data Collection Lab now creates Data Banks
    • Added many new sources of Data Data Banks around the world in (POIs, Artifact, Geysers)
  • Added Radiation Lamp building.

Sounds really good already

This update is already looking great! I was hoping for smaller asteriods so this is an absolute joy! 

If I may though, can i suggest even smaller asteriods? I'm sure Klei is aware of how much people liked the Minibase mod on the base game, and I'm sure a mode that requires you to think carefully about your space would interest a lot of people in spaced out as well! (Also, combined with space logisitcs, it'd be awesome) It also has the added benefit of being MUCH easier to run for potato computers like mine.

Love the RadLamp too! More Radiation sources are always welcome. Now we just need the base game telescope to come back for the regolith asteriod, (and also for the Gassy Moos to not kill the framerate XD)

• Like 3

This is great news ! Thanks to the team as usual for making this game as it should be :D

For those who want to see them and theorycraft here they are : 
(I hope I did not mess up the names)

The badlands asteroid : chances of survival - moderate

Spoiler

image.png.9a470ab8c0fe3e2cfb08f5b9ae89e130.png

Infectious p ox vent
Chlorine gas vent
Nat gas geysser
Volcano
cool steam vent
Oil reservoir

Radioactive Ocean : chances of survival - slim

Spoiler

image.png.ee1d6780341d8a616d2e7d656833f659.png

CO2 geyser
Steam vent
Water geyser
Cool salt slush geyer
Salt water geyser

Metallic Swamp : chances of survival - likely

Spoiler

image.png.320f62e2042ffbd2702611e74b415f26.png
Gold volcano 
Chlorine vent
Nat gas geyser
Minor volcano
Cobalt volcano

Frozen forest chances of survival - moderate

Spoiler

image.png.97ea952064c00e0ddb7e2cf076d4be78.png

Infectious P ox vent
Co2 geyser
Co2 vent
cool slush geyser
Chlorine vent

Flipped asteroid : chances of survival - slim

Spoiler

image.png.46af7d4639bb076d537203467e00f31b.png

Nat gas geyser
steam vent
Hot P ox vent
Liquid sulfur geyser

Edited by Hokaeru
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Some (minimal) feedback already: Frozen Forest start sometimes generates the 10 (or more) Oxyferns needed to keep 3 dupes breathing, sometimes it generates fewer. As this makes a huge difference in initial difficulty, I suggest making sure there are always at least 10. The map will still be hard enough with that, but having to rush a 2nd Oxygen source right at the start (or killing off one dupe) feels like it is overdoing things.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Some (minimal) feedback already: Frozen Forest start sometimes generates the 10 (or more) Oxyferns needed to keep 3 dupes breathing, sometimes it generates fewer. As this makes a huge difference in initial difficulty, I suggest making sure there are always at least 10. The map will still be hard enough with that, but having to rush a 2nd Oxygen source right at the start (or killing off one dupe) feels like it is overdoing things.

Well dupes dont actually have to breather full 60 kg of oxygen / cycle so you can get by for some time with fewer oxyfers.

3 hours ago, Hokaeru said:

Flipped asteroid : chances of survival - slim

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.46af7d4639bb076d537203467e00f31b.png

Nat gas geyser
steam vent
Hot P ox vent
Liquid sulfur geyser

It looks potentially fun. Reminds me of those weird starting locations in versions before atmo suits. The rush to develop and place isolating tiles was a nice challenge.

Are those "veins" in magma neutronium or just obsidian? Having to deal with winding ladders to reach the surface would probably kill my fun. Unless there was something strong to force me to go forward fast and the winding ladders were a speed bump in a race against time.

• Like 2