I miss the virtual planetarium and the old telescope.

IMO the planetarium could get used again for space research. Just make the orbital microlab produce data banks instead of providing research. It would add one step to space research but would make it way more convenient as you could bank up on the banks and do the research when you are back home. No need to micromanage research when rockets are in flight.

The telescope could return as a higher tech version (make it require glass to be build this time) with a higher range.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

IMO the planetarium could get used again for space research. Just make the orbital microlab produce data banks instead of providing research. It would add one step to space research but would make it way more convenient as you could bank up on the banks and do the research when you are back home. No need to micromanage research when rockets are in flight.

I like that idea. The less micromanagement, the better

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

I think this is very pointless. You dont need to micromanage space research if you make the ship built to last, and even if you did, adding an extra bit of research to the chain wouldn't change that i dont think. 

The airtight telescope would be cool, though!

On 10/3/2021 at 6:23 PM, Primalflower said:

I think this is very pointless. You dont need to micromanage space research if you make the ship built to last, and even if you did, adding an extra bit of research to the chain wouldn't change that i dont think.

The thing is that with that approach you need much more resources and you lock a dupe in orbit for an extended time. If it produced data banks you could get them during other missions and use them up when they are needed. You wouldn`t need to set up research rockets. Would be nice if they had another use though so they won`t waste too much plastic.

1 minute ago, Sasza22 said:

The thing is that with that approach you need much more resources and you lock a dupe in orbit for an extended time.

Well, aside from the initial cost investment of building a rocket at all, doesn't a duplicant consume exactly as much in flight as otherwise..? my space researcher has been feeding off of the leftover chard for all of my research thus far :P

7 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

If it produced data banks you could get them during other missions and use them up when they are needed. You wouldn`t need to set up research rockets.

are you suggesting that like, duplicants will just passively gain data banks as they use rockets at all? I don't know how i feel about that for a few reasons..

35 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

Well, aside from the initial cost investment of building a rocket at all, doesn't a duplicant consume exactly as much in flight as otherwise..? my space researcher has been feeding off of the leftover chard for all of my research thus far :P

True, but if the research isn`t done simultainously on the ground he will waste time. If you don`t have multiple skilled research dupes that won`t be possible.

37 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

are you suggesting that like, duplicants will just passively gain data banks as they use rockets at all? I don't know how i feel about that for a few reasons.

Not passively. They will still use the space research station when they are not busy piloting. Currently they idle 60-70% of the time during space missions and they can`t use the research station if there is no space research in progress. With data banks they could just produce some of those along the way and you could later use them for research.

2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Not passively. They will still use the space research station when they are not busy piloting. Currently they idle 60-70% of the time during space missions and they can`t use the research station if there is no space research in progress. With data banks they could just produce some of those along the way and you could later use them for research.

that sounds fairly nice! Would mean that you could use both at the same time and speed up the harder research projects a lot.

For the telescope, they could simply have a terrestrial telescope using the old art for planetary telescopes and the new version for rockets.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:39 AM, Sasza22 said:

I'm fine with that, but I'm not sure if the player base at large would appreciate research being throttled by an additional step.

On 10/6/2021 at 8:30 AM, stoeberhai said:

I liked the old liquid reservoir. They should reimplement it as non-automatable with higher capacity and high thermal conductivity. Maybe together with the upcoming high-capacity pipes *cough

grafik.png.498386b3ca054583cab126d11c8eb783.png

I really wish they would have went with this version instead of the one we got.

On 10/6/2021 at 1:30 PM, stoeberhai said:

I liked the old liquid reservoir. They should reimplement it as non-automatable with higher capacity and high thermal conductivity. Maybe together with the upcoming high-capacity pipes *cough

grafik.png.498386b3ca054583cab126d11c8eb783.png

Why not have two tier types of reservoirs? Have the current reservoir use this asset, maybe metal ore for constructing, store only 5T or so. It would have no automation. The second type would be a similar building that just uses the current reservoir texture, be higher up in the research tree, would require refined metal to build and could store up to 20T or more and would have two automation ports (input port in addition to the current output port we have, input being for whether it can let liquid out or not as currently you can do that but only if a duplicant manually disables the building, which is weird that you can't do this with automation too). Same could be done with gas reservoirs as well. We've done something similar with smart batteries and some other building already, so why not this?

On 10/3/2021 at 12:06 PM, goboking said:

I hope they find a way to fit the old virtual planetarium and telescopes into Spaced Out.  I don't even know what functions they could fill, but the art assets are too good not to be in the game.

20190101134757_1.jpg.e883588a4ab892ba6a0

How about if the plastic that you use from the orbital research station, would create data banks instead of being deleted? Creating these banks would not directly contribute to research. Then those research banks could be used on the ground in the planetarium to contribute to the actual research. A two-step process for no other reason than to make research more interesting and get a use for this building in the DLC. Research has been too simplistic and a boring requirement of the game so far anyway, so this would add just that little amount of depth to it, which in turn reinforces the simplified way this is done in the base game. Finding research banks at POIs could be seen as a boon as well. Maybe some banks could allow you to discover undiscovered planetoids on the map as well?

Edit... it appears I have been beat to this idea already with extra convenience to the system mentioned as well

On 10/3/2021 at 2:39 PM, Sasza22 said:

New update:

[Game Update] - 485768

• Added Radbolt Chamber building.
  • Re-implemented the Space Scanner.
  • Re-implemented the Telescope from the base game, now called Enclosed Telescope.

So the telescope is/will be back. I like how it looks and works, but unless non-enclosed telescope get restricted to rockets and starts working a lot slower I personally don't see the reason to use the enclosed version. It takes two-three cycles to scan everything around planetoid. It's simpler to put non-enclosed one for a short while and be done, than to organize oxygen line and lose a bit of oxygen 3 cycles later to deconstruction.

9 hours ago, AndreyKl said:

New update:

So the telescope is/will be back. I like how it looks and works, but unless non-enclosed telescope get restricted to rockets and starts working a lot slower I personally don't see the reason to use the enclosed version. It takes two-three cycles to scan everything around planetoid. It's simpler to put non-enclosed one for a short while and be done, than to organize oxygen line and lose a bit of oxygen 3 cycles later to deconstruction.

Are you taking into consideration the radiation protections the enclosed telescope offers?

1 hour ago, goboking said:

Are you taking into consideration the radiation protections the enclosed telescope offers?

I don't think it will matter.

Initial planetoids will be fairly low on radiation(125 rads/cycle on newest update), with default removal being 100rads per cycle (newest patch) and real problems starting only after accumulating 500rads, sunburns will come long before serious radiation sickness.

Even if player will have to 'bench' a dupe for a cycle or two to get rid of the sickness, it will barely matter. And outside of starting planetoid, there won't be a reason to build enclosed telescopes when you can have a protected and pressurized one in a rocket. I don't think I used any telescopes out of the rocket besides initial planetoid and oil planetoid, everything else was rocket-scanned.

Starting asteroids in Spaced Out! clusters now experience 50% less cosmic radiation than other asteroids in the cluster (now approximately 125 rads/cycle).

Archived