Which of the following assorted items needs buffing?

Which of these items deserve to be buffed (meaning an increase in ability/strength)?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these items deserve to be buffed (meaning an increase in ability/strength)?

• Seed Pack-It
    • Fire Pump
    • Fish Food
    • Night Light
    • Moon Rock Wall
    • Hound's Teeth
    • Phlegm
    • Codex Umbra
    • Critters
    • Celestial Champion
    • Tail o' Three Cats
    • Seedshell
    • Cookbook
    • Klei Official Servers

The Codex Umbra.

All other answers are objectively wrong. 
It is one of, if not THE Most Important Item in all of the lore, but functionally is little more than a doorstop. 
It needs serious improvements done to it, and it's needed them for years. 

Speaking of the Seedshells, I would love it if the Merm King could give Seedshells and Gnarwail horns when traded with. King of the sea (essentially) should have access to these things if he already has most other things; and it would be a nice benefit to Wurt that sets the king apart from the Pig King.

Edit: Maybe you could utilize the ocean fishes to trade with, to get different/valuable gifts. Would also give more incentive to fish as well.

Fishfood, nightlight and moonrock wall. Only things worth the change.

Fish Food is a great item but the dumb think that prevents on getting more of it is the bottle cost. The sea isn't really all that generous in the amounts of bottles you can get as solo which honestly sucks.

Nightlight - is there any need to say more? I mean, it's a decent item if you got plenty of nightmarefuel - but the fact that it has no other effects besides giving light, warding off gestalts and drain sanity - it really doesn't do any good for anyone. It's nice but feels useless when we've got loads of ways to get other sources of light and heat/cold.

Moonrock walls are just expensive as hell. That's all. you need 12 moonrocks to build 4 walls in total which I think is just absurd. Thus it has passive damage reduction if been hit by other players - which is honestly really weird mechanic to be added there. The next worst thing is that it takes 24 hammerings or something to break one of them even if they're broken down. Very stupid design choices on the thing when farming for moonrock is kinda tedious and nothing more than being a luxury item. Even thulecite walls feel generous on how many you can make while moonrock walls require you to use green amulets from 12 ---> 6 moonrocks per 4 walls. I don't like it.

12 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Nightlight - is there any need to say more? I mean, it's a decent item if you got plenty of nightmarefuel - but the fact that it has no other effects besides giving light, warding off gestalts and drain sanity - it really doesn't do any good for anyone. It's nice but feels useless when we've got loads of ways to get other sources of light and heat/cold.

You can also charge it with a fire staff, which gives the full 175 seconds of light per charge (2 nightmare fuel for one fire staff = 3500 secs of light). Despite viable to use with a BQ crown for immense sanity regen, I agree that this structure is quite niche. It's just a cool addition to the game when I am able to have a better way to spend my red gems in a long-term world.

Fish Food needs to have its cost reduced to 2 Empty Bottles, if not just 1 Empty Bottle. It's a decent enough item, but the cost is very prohibitive. It's one of those unfortunate situations where you need to waste time sailing aimlessly at sea in order to acquire an item that... reduces how much time you need to sail aimlessly?

Moonrock Walls should give you 1 wall piece per moonrock used, so it matches the 1:1 conversation ratio between rocks and thulecite fragments and their respective walls. Moonrock is already a very rare material, so we could really do without the absurdly expensive recipe on top.

Night Light needs... something. I liked the suggestion that it should automatically turn on during night and turn off during the day and dusk. It would make it much more fuel efficient and bring out its aesthetic value.

Phlegm needs to be allowed into the Crock Pot.

Tail o' Three Cats needs... a reason to exist. Tentacle Spots and Catcoon Tails are not the most common materials around and the RNG stun effect has very little practical use.

Seedshells I am conflicted on. On one hand, Sea Weeds are a colossal pain in the ash, so it feels unnecessary to further nerf Seedshells by making them do less than half the damage they do when lobbed at you by the Sea Weeds. On the other hand, they do offer an assortment of niche applications, such as fending off mutated birds, clearing out Baby Tentacles and easily catching live Rabbits and Birds. (The latter being such a nice QoL thing for when you want to craft a Prestihatitator, fill your Bird Cage, farm feathers or get canaries for Napsacks.)

The Pick/Axe definitely needs a buff.

It's a ruins tier item that takes thulecite and the axe part will be defunct if you have a woodie or a bearger treefarm. It's also cheaper and less arduous to just make an ornate axe and pickaxe, or yo just carry the materials for them around if you're that worried about inventory space.

And the Codex Umbra definitely needs a change. It's the #1 important thing in DS lore, and it's literally just a crafting station. Let Maxwell equip it and use the attack animation from the forge, and you've got yourself a perfect item. You won't even have to change anything else.

I'm a bit confused about why these things in particular were chosen.

That being said there are some things here I think could really use some kind of touch up (Not necessarily in how "strong" they are, but one nonetheless).

• Fish Food: This is more of a thing regarding bottle spawns themselves and less so purely the cost in my eyes, although I think that is weird too. The cost being at 3 bottles per Fish Food is pretty steep for people who don't have at least 4 players on a server who all spawn in bottles around them, as bottles spawning is tied to the players themselves and most other trades with pearl are even more expensive. I would certainly prefer it if the bottle spawn rate was fixed regardless of player amount and instead depended on areas loaded, with the rate itself per loaded area being close to what it would now be for about 4 players on a server. If people playing on servers with higher player counts would like they could still spread out to get a load of bottles really quickly, but this way people playing with less than 6 players at once won't need to spend actual seasons to afford some of the more expensive stuff. As for the Fish Food itself, I think it could be interesting if we received one or two instances of it per bottle spent (Same could maybe be said about the fishing lures honestly). This way players could use Fish Food more reliably without having to worry about whether they would rather have 3 instances of Fish Food or a Spectackler box, which I'm certain most players would probably rather have in this situation.
  • Night Light: Nightmarefuel is not a cheap resource to spend as fuel, especially compared to other types of fuel used for mundane firepits. Granted, one nightmarefuel is gonna last it even through a winter night (Provided there is no wetness involved), but you'd still spend a nightmarefuel daily on just this. I honestly don't really know what could be done to make it more enticing to craft beyond only decor, but I would still welcome seeing it receive some love.
  • Moon Rock Wall: I agree with Quartzbeam here, 12 Moonrocks for 4 walls is so extremely steep it's ridiculous. The extra defence benefit they offer really does not justify this high of a cost in my eyes, especially since walls for defence are sadly already very flawed (Unless they receive a buff across the board). Either 4 moonrocks for 4 walls or 12 moonrocks for 12 would help here I think.
  • Codex Umbra: I mean... We're getting a Maxwell rework at some point. So no matter what I say on it, it really doesn't matter right now. And probably even after the rework.
  • Critters: As much as I'd love to see a whole critter rework update... thing, I'm just as fine with them existing to be cute. Rip smallbirds.
  • Tail o' Threecats: With all the materials being relatively rare I sadly don't see anybody using it much, unless it's for something extremely specific. Personally I'd substitute the Tentacle Spots in the recipe with a Tentacle Spike and just increase it's damage to that of the Spike. Still a material from a tentacle, but more common and giving reason for extra damage, plus used spikes can be used to craft the whip, which would justify the cat tail cost more in my opinion.
  • Seedshell: Has a few uses, but is otherwise kind of underwhelming. As mentioned by many others at this point, the damage being way lower when used by players as oppose to seaweeds spitting them at us is really odd. A throwable weapon which deals aoe damage of a darksword sounds extremely fun to use, but not only do seedshells currently deal less damage than an axe, they are fairly annoying to obtain to begin with. Seaweeds drop anything between 1 to 3 seedshells, with yellow ones dropping an extra two (i.e. 3 to 5) when killed. Since the seedshells do have utility for catching smaller mobs, maybe increasing the drop rates could help it out a bit? Sure it's a shame they don't have that high of a damage output, but higher numbers arent always everything and I think this could be quite nice (Also who knows maybe some day we'll get a new item that is pretty much just seedshells with dark sword damage).

Fire pump needs some kind of QoL buff to make it actually work. Because if you're moving and a fire starts, you need to bring your boat to a complete stop just for the water balls to hit the boat to put out the fire.

And by the time you come to a complete stop, you are either dead or everything is already burnt

4 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Fire pump needs some kind of QoL buff to make it actually work. Because if you're moving and a fire starts, you need to bring your boat to a complete stop just for the water balls to hit the boat to put out the fire.

And by the time you come to a complete stop, you are either dead or everything is already burnt

and you cant fish alone while is summer because you need to lose the fish (like they are easy to find..) to use the pump

i suggested to change how the pump and waterballons works making things wet and, by that, inmune to wildfires during a period of time

The Codex Umbra first and foremost.

Maxwell dmg potential is just mediocre for a character that has so little HP and doesnt have the dmg to make up for it.

I wouldnt mind if his gathering potential was weakened if his dmg was buffed, cause his duelists downright suck. 

Definitely feel that some of these items need a buff, here are the one's I picked

• Seed Pack-It
  • Nightlight
  • Critters
  • Tail-O-Three-Cats
  • Phlegm

Seed Pack-It just carries seeds and increases their spoilage timer, there's no point in making this when you could make an ice box. If it could store more things like fertilizers and stuffs, I would make it, I never do.

The nightlight is overly expensive for what it does. Why waste nightmare fuel on something that lights up your base for a short time? Not only that, but it doesn't even provide warmth! I'd make it more often if it did more than what it currently does.

Critters do nothing really, except be annoying! I don't like feeding these pets for nothing! I only adopt mothlings just for the light.

Tail-o-Three-Cats deals low damage and isn't cheap (or expensive) to make. Sure, I like its mechanic of de-aggroing mobs at a small percentage. But I don't make it, maybe increase damage and perks and I'll ACTUALLY make it.

Phlegm is nothing. You can only eat it and make it into pumpkin pie. I don't have any suggestions, I just hope for it to be more useful.

Archived