[Game Update] - Cosmic Calling 478755

• Developer

Cosmic Calling.png

Hello everyone!

Today we’re releasing the Cosmic Calling Update for Oxygen Not Included: Spaced Out!

This fun new update contains new buildings, revised rocket tuning, art and sound updates, bug fixes, and more…

New Buildings:
The Radbolt Joint Plate is a solid tile that allows Radbolts to pass through one-way - just make sure your Duplicants aren’t standing right on top of it while a Radbolt is passing through!

The Party Line Phone is a new recreation building that Duplicants can use to talk to each other over long distances. Duplicants enjoy a small morale bonus if they use the phone by themselves, a bigger bonus if they have a chat with someone on another phone, and an even bigger bonus if at least one participant is on a different rocket or asteroid..

The Automation Broadcast Sender and Receiver allow you to transmit an automation signal between worlds. The broadcaster has a limited range though, so a relay network may be necessary for longer range transmissions.

Rocket Tuning:
Rocket ranges, speeds, and max height tuning have all been adjusted. All rockets have been made faster, and some have gotten range and height boosts. The range of the Radbolt engine has been reduced.

Art and Sound:
We’ve updated the artwork for a number of buildings that consume Radbolts and new sounds for automation and radiation overlays.

A couple crash and bug fixes also made it into this update.

Thank you to everyone who participated in the Public Testing branch. Your feedback and bug reports are much appreciated. Please let us know in the bug forums if you see anything unexpected, and as always, thank you for your feedback!

Full patch notes are listed below.

Full patch notes

Spoiler

Features

• Spaced Out! Only
    • Added Party Line Phone building.
    • Added Radbolt Joint Plate building.
    • Added Automation Broadcaster and Automation Broadcast Receiver buildings.
    • Rockets now burn one hex worth of fuel when taking off and landing.
    • Rockets in old save files that are in-flight and have at least some fuel or oxidizer in their tanks will have their fuel and oxidizer tanks topped off to prevent stranding rockets.
    • Rebalanced rocket engine fuel consumption rates, resulting in changes to the ranges of rockets.
    • Increased CO2 Engine range from 4 to 6.
    • Increased Sugar Engine range from 4 to 6.
    • Increased Steam Engine range from 6 to 10.
    • Increased Small Petrol Engine fuel efficiency to change base range from 6 to 10.
    • Increased Petrol Engine fuel efficiency to change range per tank from 6 to 10.
    • Increased Hydrogen Engine fuel efficiency to change range per tank from 9 to 16.
    • Reduced the number of Radbolts the Radbolt engine can store from 4800 to 4000. This results in a maximum range decrease of 24 to 20.
    • Adjusted the power and burden of rocket engines to speed up space flights and bring some under-performing engines more in line with the rest.
    • Rockets with the Round Trip toggle active will now wait until POI harvesting is complete before returning to their source.
    • Increased maximum height of the Steam Engine from 20 to 25.

Changes & Improvements

• Fullscreen mode is now borderless (game doesn’t minimize when using  a secondary monitor).
  • Added sound for automation & radiation toggle overlay activation.
  • Updated all supported localizations.
  • Added sounds for Conveyor Rail Germ Sensor, Element Sensor and Temperature Sensor.
  • Added hammer strike sounds for Conveyor Rail Germ Sensor, Element Sensor and Temperature Sensor, Conveyor Chute and Conveyor Shutoff.
  • Spaced Out! Only
    • The length of the pending path is now shown when selecting a rocket destination.
    • Limited the height of rockets to 30 tiles when no engine exists to define the height.
    • Added Rover Lander deploy Starmap animation.
    • Added launch/land animations for Interplanetary Payload on starmap.
    • Adjusted Trailblazer Lander starmap animation to appear over the target world.
    • The Temporal Tear Opener is no longer deconstructable.
    • Added sound for Trailblazer Lander on the starmap.
    • Added sound for Rover Lander and Escape Pod on the starmap .
    • Added sound for Temporal Tear on the starmap.
    • Art changes to buildings with Radbolt input ports.
    • Spacefarer Conduit Port Tiles art revision.
    • Ladder Bed art and animation revision.
    • Wall Toilet’s output is only blocked by substantial liquid amounts on the output tile.
    • Added sound for Ladder Bed.
    • Added sound for rocket Scout Lander landing sequence.

Fixes

• Fixed lighting and biome tinting on Linux and other platforms where it was previously inverted.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause an unexpected column of natural tiles to appear on load.
  • Removed stray black lines sticking out from some tile artwork.
  • Duplicants and critters will no longer idle in locations where Airflow Tiles, Mesh Tiles, Insulated Tiles, and Farm Tiles are being constructed.
  • Wall Pot can now be placed next to a tile under construction.
  • Fixed Drecko description in Care Package screen to reflect its true diet.
  • Added missing input bindings text for tools.
  • Fixed typo in dying off germs tooltip.
  • Fixed crash that could occur when a very sleepy Duplicant used the Teleporter Transmitter.
  • Duplicants can no longer use a Mess Table when it's non-operational.
  • Base Game Only
    • Fixed crash clicking on Red Alert notification
    • Fixed crash when a Duplicant in a Command Capsule loses their balloon
    • Fixed issue where a space destination returned less than the reserved amount
  • Spaced Out! Only
    • Fixed bug where Spacefarer Ports could get stuck in a blocked state when they should be able to vent into space
    • Fixed bug where Diamond Press was not playing sound
    • Fixed several starmap rocket animation issues affecting self-destruct and mining animation playback
    • Fixed disease source visualization of Wall Toilets
    • The Mini Liquid Pump no longer leaks Nuclear Waste
    • “Switch Planetoid” keyboard shortcuts now work while the starmap screen is open
    • Fixed disappearing progress bar of the Radbolt Generator when switching to Materials/Decor overlays
    • Wall Toilet is no longer operational when missing wall tiles
    • Fixed issue for dynamic music "To the Stars" where it only played the beginning section

Changes since the last public testing branch update

Spoiler
  • Fixed crash that could occur when a very sleepy Duplicant used the Teleporter Transmitter.
  • Updated Chinese localization.

Cosmic Calling No Text.png

View full update

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Big Ups 2
  • GL Happy 2

So like any word about fix for the performance issues some of people (including me) been having in base game after the Merge? Despite having really good frames before the Merge.

I'm sure i already talked about it to death but just wondering if there is any hope for some optimization for some of us that don't play ONI on Hal 9000 or SkyNet mainframes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Big Ups 2
  • Sad Dupe 1

Hey there, you should really think about tossing 477203 into Steam as a playable option under beta...instead of the "Big Merge" (469300) update...A. 90% of mods that introduce items into the game broke with your more recent update, B. none of my saves will load with 469300.    Why would you release an update that breaks saves on the only other playable version of the game? Did it not occur to you that people may still want to play the game from where they were previously?  I shouldn't have to torrent a game I own to continue playing where I left off (which I'm doing since the previous version in Steam is incorrect and very obviously NOT the previous version).  Great looking update, poor implementation.

8 minutes ago, Bombcat2015 said:

Hey there, you should really think about tossing 477203 into Steam as a playable option under beta...instead of the "Big Merge" (469300) update...A. 90% of mods that introduce items into the game broke with your more recent update, B. none of my saves will load with 469300.    Why would you release an update that breaks saves on the only other playable version of the game? Did it not occur to you that people may still want to play the game from where they were previously?  I shouldn't have to torrent a game I own to continue playing where I left off (which I'm doing since the previous version in Steam is incorrect and very obviously NOT the previous version).  Great looking update, poor implementation.

You can prevent updates by launching steam in offline mode

2 hours ago, Bombcat2015 said:

Sadly I must agree that it is really bad to break so many mods again like this.. The error I see is a missing field that is now mandatory, isSolidObject or something.. Couldn't you have just automatically given that a value so it didn't crash the main menu of the game for everyone who installed almost any significant mod? :<

Maybe some modded objects would become solid that shouldn't be, or vice versa depending on what you defaulted that variable to be, but at least the game wouldn't be rendered unplayable when modded with cool stuff. I probably won't be able to continue my game for some time now, until two dozen mod authors update their mods.. that really sucks XD i don't want to be without my quality of life mods due to updates for a dlc i dont have lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cpy said:

I wonder what they are really working on. 3 weeks and only few things? I wonder what's cooking for big update.

They will present to us, the next big overhaul. Completly new game engine, More than 50000 FPS on screen, just to make gabberworld finaly happy, And of course a new secret dupe!

• Haha 1
  • Sanity 1

2 hours ago, Bombcat2015 said:

isn't there an entire archived version system that modders were given in order for this sort of thing to not be an issue?

6 minutes ago, outseeker said:

i don't want to be without my quality of life mods due to updates for a dlc i dont have

The update that broke tile mods (hopefully not for very long) is the "Duplicants and critters will no longer idle in locations where Airflow Tiles, Mesh Tiles, Insulated Tiles, and Farm Tiles are being constructed" (if I'm not mistaken...), which would be a vanilla update, not DLC :rolleyes:

Just now, sakura_sk said:

The update that broke tile mods (hopefully not for very long) is the "Duplicants and critters will no longer idle in locations where Airflow Tiles, Mesh Tiles, Insulated Tiles, and Farm Tiles are being constructed" (if I'm not mistaken...), which would be a vanilla update, not DLC :rolleyes:

oh well i stand corrected there if so! :)

still super sad though lol i wanna play!! XD

4 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Fixed an issue that could cause an unexpected column of natural tiles to appear on load.

Duplicants and critters will no longer idle in locations where Airflow Tiles, Mesh Tiles, Insulated Tiles, and Farm Tiles are being constructed.

Wall Pot can now be placed next to a tile under construction.

Removed stray black lines sticking out from some tile artwork.

Fullscreen mode is now borderless (game doesn’t minimize when using  a secondary monitor).

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Edited by Squeegee

55 minutes ago, outseeker said:

Sadly I must agree that it is really bad to break so many mods again like this.. The error I see is a missing field that is now mandatory, isSolidObject or something.. Couldn't you have just automatically given that a value so it didn't crash the main menu of the game for everyone who installed almost any significant mod? :<

Maybe some modded objects would become solid that shouldn't be, or vice versa depending on what you defaulted that variable to be, but at least the game wouldn't be rendered unplayable when modded with cool stuff. I probably won't be able to continue my game for some time now, until two dozen mod authors update their mods.. that really sucks XD i don't want to be without my quality of life mods due to updates for a dlc i dont have lol

I fixed mine by uninstalling the game, deleting mods and restarting computer, then getting mods back. Now it works. lol

It would make more sense if they phoned back to scientists or home or something or give them cell phone or a Kiosk to get one then have them talk to each other or text. I mean in RL people waste time using cell phones at work. lol

Is it just me or is the heat transfer changed/improved.  It was most noticeable inside rockets.  Before I could have a pile of iron at -70 degrees sitting on the floor and not have the rocket cool down at all.  Now, it seems to interact with the other heat sources around it and very quickly was cooling down.  Hot things always seem to do that, but not cold things.  

Also - will it always be the case that building things like heat tiles auto-resets the temperature to 40-something degrees and then equalizes with the room?  It is a nice way to get rid of heat in 1000+ degree metals, a nice way to cool blobs of magma, etc. but seems "unfair".

Edited by ImDontknow
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ImDontknow said:

Also - will it always be the case that building things like heat tiles auto-resets the temperature to 40-something degrees and then equalizes with the room?

It could be unfair the other way without a way to choose what temp materials dupes build with. I can just imagine them cooking my base by randomly shipping in volcano rock to build dining room tiles...

• Sanity 2

39 minutes ago, Yobbo said:

It could be unfair the other way without a way to choose what temp materials dupes build with. I can just imagine them cooking my base by randomly shipping in volcano rock to build dining room tiles...

True enough.  As long as it stays consistent, I'm fine with it.  It is the having it one way for months and months - and then just have it completely changed that is frustrating.

Edited by ImDontknow

10 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Hello everyone!

The phoneline is a comfort item, mainly?

• Duplicants and critters will no longer idle in locations where Airflow Tiles, Mesh Tiles, Insulated Tiles, and Farm Tiles are being constructed.

This is helpful

Edited by Slvrsrfr

3 hours ago, ImDontknow said:

As long as it stays consistent, I'm fine with it.  It is the having it one way for months and months - and then just have it completely changed that is frustrating.

The temperature clamping thing when building has been around for years, so i'd guess that one's unlikely to change without a good reason. IIRC it's intentional, for reasons similar to the one i mentioned.

13 hours ago, ImDontknow said:

Also - will it always be the case that building things like heat tiles auto-resets the temperature to 40-something degrees and then equalizes with the room?  It is a nice way to get rid of heat in 1000+ degree metals, a nice way to cool blobs of magma, etc. but seems "unfair".

Dupe building process:

1. Materials are supplied. They stay in the tile they're brought to by dupes, invisible to us.
  2. Building is constructed when required amounts are present. (And a capable dupe has come for this task.

Simple right?

Let's check point #1 with a magnifying glass...

It so happens the materials that are invisible in the tile where building is planned are not in a limbo and do exchange temperature with the environment... We see this all the time when building an emergency ice tempshift plate or sculpture; happy mops all the time.

Do mind that hot igneous...

20 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Fixed lighting and biome tinting on Linux and other platforms where it was previously inverted.

I can also report that my magma biome has stopped glowing on account of the space biome...