Q-o-L Mega Wishlist!

Since we're getting another QoL update soon, I figured i'd make another QoL Wishlist of all the things i'd like to see, I encourage you to add your own ideas here :)

Items Go To Active Item Slot If Inventory Is Full

Spoiler

1380615698_GIF9-10-202111-55-53AM.gif.52897b4e2cccbe090bf4913124a6faec.gif

What I mean by this is, if your inventory is full, and you pick say a berry bush while holding a berry in your active item slot(mouse slot) it should just go to your active item slot instead of the berry dropping on the ground. This is a really small thing, but I figured it'd be nice to improve it anyways.

Directional Equip Animations From DS

Spoiler

Willowholstertest.gif

DS has special equip animations for the player when they equip something while facing right/left/up. In DST it always uses the same down facing equip animation, so why not port these ones from DS? They'd be nice flavor and it's practically free to do!

Repeated Actions For Inventory Items

Spoiler

The last QoL update brought an amazing feature where you could hold left/right click for most actions and you'd repeatedly do them(Cooking, Reeling, etc).

However, unfortunately this does not apply to inventory actions like fueling an item, or eating food, you have to keep clicking. So let's bring this feature to them !

Quick Eat Animations For Barnacles

Spoiler

Super small thing, but I think Barnacles should have the quick eat animation despite being a meat item. Limpets in SW have the quick eat animation even while being a meat item, so why not?

Extensive Fish Trading For Merm King

Spoiler

I think the Merm King could use a more extensive trading system. Currently every type of fish will provide the same loot. So the heaviest rarest ocean fish will provide the same loot as a regular pond fish when given to the merm king. This is extremely boring in my opinion, and I think it could stand to make the loot change depending on the type of fish, and how heavy it is.

Marsh Turf In Terra Firma Tamper

Spoiler

Currently the Marsh Turf is not a craftable turf in the Terra Firma Tamper, which is weird considering it's a natural turf.

Yes, you can just switch to Wurt, however I don't think the player should be forced to have to switch just to craft Marsh turf when it should be available through the Terra Firma Tamper.

Lesser Cost For Moon Rock Walls

Spoiler

Moon Rock Walls are disgustingly expensive, they require 12 moon rocks for just 4 walls. The price should be decreased

Unequipping Tackles Returns To Opened Tackle Box

Spoiler

924545779_GIF9-10-202112-05-33PM.thumb.gif.2afe0bbaef7cf02f4b048442aa9811ce.gif

Currently, when unequipping tackles from a ocean fishing rod while having a tackle box opened, the tackles will return to your inventory. This is a bit annoying, and it'd be nice to have the tackles return to the tackle box if the player has one opened

Construction Amulet Works On Construction Projects

Spoiler

GIF_8-31-2021_7-58-55_PM.gif
Very simple idea, make the Construction Amulet work for Construction Projects! It is related to construction after all! I think this'd be a very neat niche, and i'd especially love it when building more Merm King tapestries and the such

Waterballoons making Mobs wet

Spoiler

Simple idea, let waterballoons make mobs wet so we can use morning stars much more often without having to wait for rain!

Music Box Hutch Tending To Plants

Spoiler

Silly idea, since hey I can just use the one-man band inside of music box hutch to tend to the plants, but I'd like to see this idea get in anyways just for the sake of it making sense, as currently music box hutch does not tend to farm plants.

Ability To Use Caves Celestial Portal

Spoiler

There is a Florid Postern in the Caves and you can actually upgrade this postern to a Celestial Portal! Unfortunately it doesn't work in switching characters I think it'd be great if you could use it and spawn back in the caves portal so you can switch in the caves without having to go above.

Intershard Lazy Deserter

Spoiler

Let the Lazy Deserter work between shards, this wouldn't step on Wanda's toes in any way, and it'd be a great addition to the deserter

Intershard Merm King

Spoiler

I think it would also  be a fantastic change if the Merm King applied buffs to Merms and Wurts in any shard, he takes a lot of maintaining so I think it's only fair for him to affect every shard in the server.

Fire Changes

Spoiler

Fire is a really underrated form of combat, and I think it can be made even more fun! Something that could be an interesting change is, instead of converting all non cookable items to ash when a burning mob dies, its loot could drop while on fire. This would give the player a chance to save the items from burning by using waterballoons, flingoes, watering can, etc.

Wurt Hat Fix

Spoiler

image.png.7444ab2b570bafb8b7db565f6f950948.png

Wurt can look really bad with some hats, this is mostly due to her much shorter than average size compared to other characters.

Perhaps a way to fix this could be making a new AnimState function that offsets symbols by a certain amount in all animations of the entity? So the "swap_hat" symbol could be lowered for Wurt?

AnimState:SetSymbolOffset(symbol, x, y)

I have no idea this is something that's doable, but it's an idea I wanted to present.

Wavey Jones Doesn't Spawn On Physics Objects Anymore

Spoiler

1947645277_GIF9-10-20213-45-01PM.gif.d322a6219edae705cb42ce47045f067d.gif

There is a really unfortunate problem where sometimes Wavey Jones can spawn on structures on a boat, meaning the player won't be able to scare him off. I personally don't experience this problem as I always build my structures in the center of the boat, but i've seen many people encounter this problem and it really stinks, as they have to resort to waiting it out or destroying the structure.

Making sure Wavey Jones doesn't spawn in the radius of a physics object instead opting for a place without a structure would be really nice for preventing this problem.

Chat Censors

Spoiler

Klei implemented a great feature where swears and slurs in the names of servers will be censored. Unfortunately the same doesn't apply to the in-game chat, so I think it should!

I'd love to see some qol for the wardrobe and collection screen in general.
Things like being able to rotate the view of your character, being able to preview items equipped on players, change and save starting item skins and beards from the wardrobe screen itself (and for beards in particular, let us just cycle through them with the cycle view button of the wardrobe in addition to the beard section).

Other smaller qol stuff I could think of would be for example mod presets, so we can enable a bunch of mods at once without needing to do so for each one individually, adding a few more worldgen options, especially for newer content being added, and similar to hornet's tackle box suggestion making perishables prioritize insulated pack slots when picked up (It's also hornets idea, I don't know why he didn't include it in this post, so I figured I may as well mention it.). 

Not really QoL, but I would like swamp mushrooms to return.

Currently DST marsh has no mushrooms other than relatively rare and not guaranteed fairy rings, which is not the case in DS. Without mushrooms swamp feels empty, it is also affecting balance: base location choice for people who like to use swamp resources, especially for Wurt players (it's weird that merm character has easier time in deserts in terms of food rather than swamp other things being equal), non-default maps when worldgen affects particular biomes frequency and location in relation to others (Adventure Mode mod with it's empty swamps, which especially hurts in Darkness chapter).

I know you guys get tired of hearing it, but removing birchnut trees at the oasis biome and replacing those with actual palm trees I can chop down and start creating my own palm tree biome would be very very much appreciated.

Its not like Palm Tree’s don’t exist in the games files outside of the single player Shipwrecked DLC anyway.

Please Klei? :wilson_love:

My dream quality of life update would be for merm king's benefit to travel between shards, to get some more dialogue for Merms and Pigs, and skins for Wes' balloons, Wurt's structures (and the merm king and merms that come from them) and giving Webber the ability to clean sweep spider dens. I want my spider army to be all dressed up and fancy without having to spend ungodly amounts of silk on top hats, darnit!

5 hours ago, Well-met said:

Since klei has been shown to dislike exploits, -make all mobs attack walls.

Dragonfly fight Rework that completely breaks everyone’s Meta inbound! :lol:

But speaking of Bosses: In general they have unique fun mechanics and could be exciting fun content if they weren’t such a pain in the rear side to fight solo, there are options to toggle More/Less or None for these Bosses- But what does that actually DO? I was under the assumption it meant I could lower their health/damage to make the fights more fun to do Solo.. but that doesn’t appear to be what those toggles do.

With the upcoming QoL can we get actual options to adjust boss health pools? &/Or Better descriptions in the toggle menu’s of what changing those things actually DOES to the world? I had to resort to Wiki just to find out what World Loops & Branches were.. This can be confusing when it probably shouldn’t be?

On 9/10/2021 at 12:00 PM, Hornete said:

image.png.7444ab2b570bafb8b7db565f6f950948.png

Wurt can look really bad with some hats, this is mostly due to her much shorter than average size compared to other characters.

Perhaps a way to fix this could be making a new AnimState function that offsets symbols by a certain amount in all animations of the entity? So the "swap_hat" symbol could be lowered for Wurt?

AnimState:SetSymbolOffset(symbol, x, y)

I have no idea this is something that's doable, but it's an idea I wanted to present.

this is good, they should also add function to change specific symbol's scale then they can be resized to fit characters heads better too

Don't forget to add lower cost for succulent pots. Or at least have new way to gather succulents.

Shell beach turf is waaaaay too costly, 3 shells per beach turf. That's like one pearl bundle per day, it's insane.

Driftwood being dropped from giant canopy trees? Would be a neat new way to gather it. Unless they'll tackle it in another way.

On 9/10/2021 at 12:00 PM, Hornete said:

Extensive Fish Trading For Merm King

Hide contents

I think the Merm King could use a more extensive trading system. Currently every type of fish will provide the same loot. So the heaviest rarest ocean fish will provide the same loot as a regular pond fish when given to the merm king. This is extremely boring in my opinion, and I think it could stand to make the loot change depending on the type of fish, and how heavy it is.

I pray they just remove the rng instead doing this will just make her more grindy than she already is and she's already thr game's most grindy character.

4 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

I pray they just remove the rng instead doing this will just make her more grindy than she already is and she's already thr game's most grindy character.

I've love to have him to let you trade for an ocean key or something to unlock the clam chests. Would be fun addition of storage instead of breaking them.

A few slight changes to how Wigfrid plays is something I would consider QoL.. I mean they literally changed Wurt & Wormwood outside of announcing they were getting a Re-rework so it possible to have some love shown to Wigfrid right? Chick seems to have been massively shafted in rework if WES now has fun new exciting gameplay abilities and she plays largely the same as she always has. And besides: Wurt & Wormwoods changes were “slight” but they made a major impact on their gameplay. :) 

14 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Nah I don't think it'd make her grindy, it'd just give me a reason to actually catch rarer ocean fish when I find them instead of just ignoring them.

Just now, Hornete said:

Nah I don't think it'd make her grindy, it'd just give me a reason to actually catch rarer ocean fish when I find them instead of just ignoring them.

Carrying fish that fill full inventory slots back to a king who may not be near a spawn point of these higher weight fish for afew more drops is indeed grindy and she is already quite grindy.

1 minute ago, Mysterious box said:

Carrying fish that fill full inventory slots back to a king who may not be near a spawn point of these higher weight fish for afew more drops is indeed grindy and she is already quite grindy.

You know what the tin fishing bin is right?

Archived