Nostalgic noob memories

13 hours ago, Falkenpelz said:

but I was afraid, that GLOMMER would kill me...

b...b... but Glommer buddy loves everyone and wouldn't hurt anyone. ;.;

8 minutes ago, cropo said:

Overcoming Deerclops was one of the biggest highlights of the game to me. I didn't technically fight him all the way since the Beefalo finished the job, but the absolute chaos that ensued while frustrating at the time was something I look back on fondly. Really gave you a feeling of ''Huh, maybe I CAN survive this game?''

Man I remember the first time I was able to successfully learn how to kite deerclops, ironically it was the first time I managed to get a hang of cane swapping. I was playing with a friend was playing WX and I was playing Wendy(long before her rework), It took forever as I was using spears as weapons and the shadow creatures made it even more atrocious but I managed to kill deerclops, nowadays I know to just bring cactus flesh(Unless I'm playing Wigfrid, Warly or my Budding Chef mod).

2 hours ago, Terra B Welch said:

b...b... but Glommer buddy loves everyone and wouldn't hurt anyone. ;

Haha, I was just waiting for you to come in for that one:D

Well, I hammered the statue in hope that I would figure out what it was (I literally thought, it depicted a boot lol) and I remember the first full moon night of me and my friend well. He was Woodie, I was standing at the statue and once night hit, we were both screaming in confusion to come and loOK AT THAT! When Glommer started to bounce up and down we thought, he was angry because we hammered the statue and we would have to appease him by reparing it...

17 hours ago, Nutaneme said:

I was afraid that Glommer would kill me too, fear the unknown.
Also memories of my world being ended because I stumbled upon Dragonfly.
This screenshot as well-

cringe.thumb.jpg.14507d11d765fa3f786d9ff16a2f4b70.jpg

Man,  I wish I had all my old screenshots for DST and DS.  After switching computers I lost all my old screenshots and now I can't go on a trip down memory lane.

Welp I just dug up the first ever DST Screenshot I took, heck I was going by the steam name "Terra Branford" back then, and this was in the early beta of DST I was playing with a couple others on a server, when I say early I mean EARLY, this is back when I think only 5 characters were in the game(wilson, willow, wolfgang, wendy and I think WX?), there was just base DS content(possibly before the ewecus update?). Heck this was before I became a Wendy main even, literally playing Wilson ahaha. God I see this and are just like "bruh".

myfirstimage.thumb.jpg.a19deb183187eac1fe887305ef9cf69e.jpg

This is definately an image of "my early DST days", at this point I at least knew not to eat red caps(I only grabbed them for crockpot filler).

I was commenting on totally normal trees looking horrendously bugged, as you see in the image, I also noticed that my grass, twigs, logs and flint were in slightly different slots to how I play now.

It's kinda funny, even back in the day I still used combined status, once a combined status user always a combined status user huh? >.<

Me and my friend couldn’t even survive a first hound wave lol. We spended the entire time building a fort, days and walls galore leaving only a gate open to kind of make a sort of choke point. They just ate through them like nothing and wrecked us again lol. This was like 4 years ago? 

Heres the few other screenshots I took before my long hiatus from Don't Starve Together.

Heres the old barebones examine quote for player skeletons.

old1.thumb.jpg.23c6a0cbbb41d2b921377b8f874ecaa4.jpg

Apparently I liked derping with the bush hat back then.

old2.thumb.jpg.d4efea89f290ce89e5915d8fe8884527.jpg

Also fun fact: Thermal stone durability was a very early change, also ah, the days where you could bag up rabbits and leave food on crock pots to infinitely preserve them! Man RoG changed alot didn't it?

old3.thumb.jpg.9171b2d61629e3dfbdd2aa3a4544ea6c.jpg

and the last image I ever took prior to my DST Hiatus for a couple years, the old server full message, where DST called itself a Gaping Maw.

gapingmaw.thumb.jpg.469259f0e0378385ac04801b8381b5c0.jpg

Lastly, the first screenshot I took since I returned to DST, and I don't regret returning, it's been alot of fun.

1949082388_firstreturnscreenshot.thumb.jpg.d605641821662d2d1fac109f7b54c911.jpg

It kinda feels ironic a little to me, I was playing Wilson so much back in the old beta, and the friend I was playing with back then(named "Damiascus") always played Wendy. Being a Wendy main now makes me kinda feel like I'm carrying the torch so to speak, but I guess I'm just speaking nonsense.

Building my base day 2, being afraid of the dark, eating carrots and berries, afraid to fight anything, desperately gathering petals to satisfy my hunger, starving to death day 6.

Living only in savannah, for constant supply of manure, rabbits and beefalo protection.

Thinking that Ice and monster meat is an op recipe for winter survival.

When I only started playing I was aware that something attacks the player in the night, but wasn't quite sure what counted as night. So at the first sign of dusk I would start a fire, sit beside it all evening and night, never risking to move even an inch away from it, keeping the flame at its highest, and actually explore only during the day.

I remember the first time I made it to chapter 5 in DS adventures mode, and because I don’t read wiki pages unless I absolutely need to, I didn’t know what was coming up next so I went in under prepared and I died, after a long & tiring process to get back to that point I then went in FULLY prepared & I still died… took awhile but Adventures Mode was finally conquered & it felt so rewarding!

I actually LAUGH at the people on these forums now who cry DST is too hard or doesn’t teach the player enough- These people are sooooo lucky they Probably never touched the original game.

Not only do you have to spend HOURS searching the world to find the portal to even enter adventures mode- but you then quest through 5 randomly generated worlds designed to kill you with wacky rules applied to each world and should you die in world 5… you start back at world 1.

TODAY with DST.. dying is MEANINGLESS  there are even modes that disable dying altogether, but in Solo DS.. dying in World 5 of Adventures meant starting over from the very beginning and PRAYING luck gets you back to world 5 again..

I so hope DST eventually gets an adventures mode- I want to see the flood of complaints that will follow it :wilson_evil:

DST is a significantly easier game then solo DS… in many many MANY ways.

I could name a few, back in like 2013 in singleplayer i remember the first time i went to the caves, it started out going pretty well. I remember exploring through the dark caves, and then suddenly hearing this strange sound, it was almost like xylophone music. I wasn't sure what it was but it had me slightly creeped out. After like 30 seconds, i had shined my torch on a rock lobster (which i didn't get a good look at) and i immediately freaked out and booked it straight to the exit of the caves. I was afraid of the "squid men" (i thought the things on their face were like squid tentacles) and it took me a long time before i finally was brave enough to go back to the caves, only to find out this "squid man" was actually friendly and it wasn't a squid at all.

I used to think tallbirds and the caves were really scary. I remember getting into the ruins ( it was DSA's scarier ruins) and leaving almost immediately.

I also used to think football helmets was this really impossible to get armor because I wouldn't attack the pigs because it made me sad. 

Naw what creeped me out and STILL creeps me out is the first time I came across a Slurper, just LOOK at it looking all evil with its huge eyes, odd shape & tongue stuck out… then when you get brave enough to attempt to fight it- Oh god what it DOES!! :wilson_cry: even to this very DAY I try to avoid these things… They’re EVIL!

(please do not provide tips on how to deal with them, don’t strip new players of the joy and probably horror that will ensue in this encounter. :lol:)

I remember early in my days, I played on a couple of Online servers, except I just kinda ran off and did my own thing. I spent more time with Abby then the Wortox who invited me to hang out with him. In this world I had the mind blowing Idea to live way out in the rocky land biome for winter because I knew Ice would be there. At this point my only experience getting through winter was making morsel and ice meatballs and a treeguard fending off deerclops. 

So I had the blue vest, a winter hat and a dream. First thing first was to get turf for trees and morsels, unfortunately I didn't have a lot of tine and lucked out by finding a single random clockwork. 4 days into winter and I was running low on wood, I ran out to get some and ended up freezing to death on my way there. I hope whoever found my stuff enjoyed my awful base, I had tried my best.

Archived