Speculations about the October's content.

In the Waterlogged update post the devs have stated that: "We also have a new special thing we have never done before that we're pretty excited about for October that is super secret.", so obviously here's a thread where we can guess what they might have meant.

Tbh, after looking back at RoT, I no longer know what to expect from Klei. Maybe they'll rework summer to make it a fun season. Maybe they'll add something for the multiplayer experience such as a voice chat. Perhaps they'll add progression and randomness to the game. Or maybe they had been working for a few months now on a world generation/biome overhaul update before they released the Waterlogged update.

October may be the Spooky Month but I doubt that the teased content will have anything to do with the Hallowed Nights.

What do y'all think?

Based on the suggestions I've seen and my own, my top picks are:

1. Terraforming "ground tiles/water tiles" 

2. Overhaul of the world regen

3. Painting world objects- something very common in sandbox games

4. Possibly something tied to the new character. Lot of speculation the character could have some sort of time manipulation, so the game has to be prepared accordingly. 

5. Being able to play offline with skins

And/or turning an offline world online and vise versa.

6. Probably the least likely but cross-platform play. 

7. Vanity slots, invisible helmets, etc

8. Something to do with the movement to 64 bit. I'm not too tech savvy so I'm at a loss as to what the possibilities are. Though since it wouldn't be available to everyone, not likely.

9. Finally get to see some of that tencent money in action?/ a change with the company and not the game. For example, a group dedicated to character reworks so they don't compete with game updates.

10. Something to do with the quality of life change updates that's coming. 

11. Something to do with world customization that's more intricate. For example, having no cold/ snow in winter, having cold in summer? (not a good example sorry, it would be a laughable change but I hope you know what I mean). 

12. A change to how the community interacts in the game? Like a lobby you join as a character to interact with others before joining a world, maybe you can trade skins here? Lol idk.

idk it could be anything, after the "chill" biome i think its clear that its not very productive to get ur expectations up because of a 'hint' thats not really even a hint to begin with :lol:

id personally rather be pleasantly surprised 

I’m going to just go on record and point out the obvious here: Over the past year we have seen Mini-Games Galore! Now let me state that turning DST into Mario Party was not a role I expected this game to take on… but it has been FUN as long as they don’t completely abandon the franchises roots and these things remain to be only a side attraction to the more serious Survival Sandbox content.

Things like Mid-Summer Cawnival were wacky almost pointless (but still fun) things I could do in a 5 minute time span I may have to play the game, Unlike say for example- activating the Moon Storm event which takes doing X, X & Y before you can experience.

Mini-Games are the future of DST but as long as Klei provides for the core foundation of what the franchise started out as- I won’t mind some more short term things to do & just goof off with.

Klei earned a ton of my respect when they did the Year of Beefalo update & EVERYONE Begged for the customization of Beefalo to become a core foundation of the game Klei Could’ve made a ton of profit off such a highly requested feature (and I sure as heck hope they eventually make & sell more..) But instead they gave this awesome highly requested feature away FREE.

I remember sometime ago there were alleged rumors/leaks or wants for a “3rd” Event- Similar to Gorge & Forge but no one could ever provide any solid evidence of such a thing happening..

However- my personal opinion is that the month of spooky should have a “Horde Mode” maybe you just fight off wave after wave of all things that go bump in the night in a short 5-15 minute survival battle against things like Ghost, Werepig, Bats,  etc..

I would LOVE it if failed survivors animated to life during hallowed nights & either attacked you like weak zombies, or they playfully danced around to the famous Spooky Kooky Skeletons song (goggle it)

Maybe actually BOTH some attack, some just dance… just something new and fun for the month of Halloween. ;) 

21 minutes ago, Ohan said:

idk it could be anything, after the "chill" biome i think its clear that its not very productive to get ur expectations up because of a 'hint' thats not really even a hint to begin with :lol:

I swear they are really bad at wording things as to not produce hype and then people get mad like, "why did you get hyped! Its your fault!"

With "top secret" and "something we've never done before" I better get something good. Same with the cawnival, they said it was a summer solstice event, guess what, had very little to do with summer. They should have gone with "the carnival is coming to town!", idk. Also, don't remember the exact wording but I also remember thinking "oh, its gonna be like winters feast".

Not saying its all Klei's fault but they have bamboozled us before. The portal I thought was taking us to the moon was completely my fault though lmao.

33 minutes ago, Ohan said:

dk it could be anything, after the "chill" biome i think its clear that its not very productive to get ur expectations up because of a 'hint' thats not really even a hint to begin with :lol:

Klei should be titled "kings of the left turn".

36 minutes ago, Ohan said:

I don't think Klei is to blame for (most of) the community collectively experiencing the Mandela Effect and convincing themselves that the post, which was right there and available to read, said "chilly" instead of "chill".

Maybe will be something to do with a kinda "puzzle" mini-game for "Return of Them" content involving lore bits - a thing that was speculated long ago and never came to be. I remember JoeW mentioning stuff along the line of "will be for 2-3-and-more people to complete". Or perhaps such concept was dropped altogether. Like a mini-adventure mode extending to web-browser game variant medium. Would be kinda new. Still, after no new Moon/Ocean weapons and magic, I have no more expectations. Missed opportunities with Malba, CK, CC, and oceanic mobs; no progression, no Lunar builds, no end-game good content. "Life in the Constant" as per usual, for some time now.

6 minutes ago, SkyistheGround said:

im not sure if i have expectations for something specific. especially since the update post said october had a "thing" theyve never done before

obviously it means exactly what i think it means and anyone who disagrees is wrong and if klei makes something else they are bad company and should hire me at klei since i wasted my life on this game and i spread a lot of misinformation

4 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Oh yeah. Isn't there a puzzle that was supposed to happen?

Puzzles have been done before, so I doubt it. I trust Klei enough to believe that at least the 'never done before' bit isn't misleading

no expectations on my end. i’d love new content just as everyone else, but i’m not holding my breath for that anymore. i’d rather be pleasantly surprised as someone already mentioned. i absolutely loved how they did the cosplay/art thing last year. that was a delightful surprise to get the community involved in showing their love for the game during my favorite holiday. 

Them saying it’s never been done before doesn’t make me think that it isn’t going to be something more simple than we think. They technically have never reworked a season before (unless we count winter’s feast).

While I’ve generally enjoyed all the content we’ve had the last while and can’t wait for the next story arc, I’d have to say my top three hopes in order would be a summer rework, world progression, and hallowed nights having a big drop like Winter’s feast aka a Klaus equivalent and such (although that’s unlikely). 

This is the current plan for 2021. 

• Year of the Beefalo
  • Three Character Refreshes
  • Three Content Updates 
  • One new DLC character
  • One new summer event (Summer Solstice, like Winter’s Feast)
  • Two QOL updates
  • Holiday events

Of those things- We have gotten Year of Beefalo, 2/3 Refreshes, 2/3 Content updates, The new character is coming next month in September, the new event Midsummer Cawnival, 1/2 QoL updates

Holiday Events?? The usual Hallowed Nights & WintersFeast.

That leaves: New character (again coming next month in September) 1 Rework, 1 Content update, & 1 Additional QoL update.

Klei will have fun making us all speculate until they reveal the “something new”

I could imagine a "snow/winter" ocean biome that people were hoping for would be nice to have. Somewhere that instead of sea stacks, it's floating glaciers that grow all year round (maybe not summer tho, idk)

I have no clue what new stuff they could put on it, but who knows what they could come up with.

But I am still hoping for new boat types/shapes. Like an armored boat or a square boat (and hopefully no "water shoes" that would completely ruin the point of the current boats being a thing)

Seeing as they have changed up how boats work, it could open the doors to new boat types

17 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

I think it's kind of obvious, that they are going to reveal JoeW's last name through a puzzle. It's secret, it's very exciting and they have never done it before, fits all the criteria.

We already know his last name.

Find his grave in the Developers graveyard setpiece. ;)

Archived