problem with warly and why he needs a rework

2 minutes ago, Bugsworth said:

do you also secretly start in spring.

Frogs aren't exclusive to Spring. Let's take the Crock Pot I just taught you to make for example. You crafted a science machine to make it. You then proceed to make a spear and a fishing rod using that science machine, carefully approach a pond, whack the two frogs that spawned from it and fish from that same pond.

43 minutes ago, Bugsworth said:

you could kill deerclops faster than you can get two fish and froglegs.

How is this true in the slightest? How is killing deerclops faster then finding a frog pond(which itself is pretty common) making a fishing rod and axe and getting fish and frog legs? It doesn't take 30 days to do that.

57 minutes ago, prettynuggets said:

ah i know this man probably the host that i join server couple years ago  where they kill deerclops  with 5 person and spawn 4 more eye so everyone can get eyebrella.

imagine actually having friends to paly with );

5 hours ago, Bugsworth said:

That one that gives defence: lol does kiting not exist or something

By this logic, shouldn't we just remove all armor from the game? Or hey, maybe just cut out the middle man and remove all hostile mobs. You know, because they don't pose any kind of threat since kitting exists.

3 hours ago, Hornete said:

What I'm getting from this is that you don't know how to beat up two frogs and use a fishing rod on a pond.

I don't know man. Those frogs are tougher than a Deerclops.

No really ... Have you seen them tear up Moose Goose and her babies in mere seconds?

If frogs spawned in winter Deerclops would be in big trouble. :wilson_laugh:

haven't you talked about how warly is your main?

Gazpacho: cools down in summer, just go in caves instead

yeah ok this one kinda sucks

Dragon fruit thingy: makes warmer in winter, just burn a tree. bruh!

this one also kinda sucks, theyd prob be better if their crop grew in the saeson you need them in, or lasted like 2 days

Fish cordon bleu: literally just an expensive harder to renew less useful eyebrella

if you want to use lunar crown/ head armour, then you can't wear eyebrella, and if you want some body armour slot then you can't wear rain coat, so fish cordon bleu is great

That one thing that switches health and sanity: lol there are better sanity and healing items

useful as wormwood and wortox since they can easily restore sanity/health respectively

Volt jelly: KLEI STOP MAKING FIGHTING CHARACTERS, WE HAVE ENOUGH ALREADY

they added this like 2-3 years ago and you're just now complaining about it? warly isnt a fighter character, he's just good at it. a fighter character is wolfgang/wigfrid, who's playstyle revolves around fighting. warly is just better at it than the both of them. we also have 4 minion based characters, or is that not a problem for you?

Those two other dishes: they’re just hunger dishes, those already existed

monster tartate sucks, it will pretty much always be the same efficiency as meatballs, but moqueca is great, just grab some barnacles, farm some onions and tomatoes and you've got one of the best dishes in the game, and it can be mass produced fairly easily.

Glow berry mousse: have you heard of this item called a lantern or miner hat?

again, those take up equipment slots, and it lasts like 2 days or something.

Chilly flakes: …k-Klei, what did I tell you about fighting characters…

That one that gives extra nutrition: it would just be better to make a new dish in 10 seconds rather than spend 5 days getting the spice

Honey crystals: they’re good I guess, but Bearger exists. It mines faster but Bearger exits for that too. Ruins its good for I guess, but there are also items you can craft to do the same.

Warly has 1.2 hunger drain for no reason other than in solo he had 133%, the thing about solo is that he also got 133% nutrition. in dst he doesn't get 120% nutrition, he only get 100%.

as much as i hate saying this about my favourite character, its just true. his ability's  don't bring new stuff, items already existed for those proposes. I like Warly, but he need a rework or something to make his ability's unique-er or actually something to use.

chilly flakes: again, not a fighting character, plus it's damage perks that can be applied to anyone, making him much better than wolfgang and moderately more useful than wig.

garlic: lol does getting hit not exist or something? not everyone is a perfect kiter yknow

salt: yeah this one sucks, maybe if it worked with beans itd be decent

honey: bearger isnt always available, sometimes he's dead, othertimes he's sleeping, and mushcakes dont get rid of the slow down effect from being drowsy (afaik), he could also be on the other side of the world from where you want to mine/chop

the 20% hunger drain is because he has 250 hunger for absolutely free, the only ones who can compar are wolfgang (who loses hunger up to 3x faster), wurt (who needs a merm king, adding more food that needs to be consumed, albeit not by herself), and wx (who needs 15 gears, which isnt that hard to get if you ruins rush but not everyone can). the extra nutrition was there because it was an incentive to play as warly, but now he has other much more interesting and valuable perks, so he doesnt need that anymore.

if you weren't my friend, i'd just have thought you've never played warly before, pretty garbage takes lol

Warly is kinda special favorite in my heart. I love this character, his cool dishes, buffs, but i really struggle with his diet thingy. I find it not worth playing him at all, unless you join a world with year of progress. They should rework his hunger to be based on veriety rather than hunger value.

15 hours ago, Bugsworth said:

you could kill deerclops faster than you can get two fish and froglegs. its also only last 5 minutes and is not reparable.

You can only get one eyebrella per year. It's not a replacement for the eyebrella, it's another method in this sandbox game that works for the whole group

Personally not finding use for/disliking playing a certain character does not mean its inherently flawed or needs changed or reworked, it just means they personally do not work for you, the fact that so many people enjoy warly as he is and find plenty of use in him should be proof enough of this.

Personally anytime i see a thread like the first thing that comes to mind is "Warly's downsides are too hard he should have a gamebreaking ability to compensate"

Despite the game giving more.and more ways to manage his downside each update and him having the most perks of any character most of which are extremely useful while being downplayed as "Well you could do that.... or you could do this." Despite there being realistically one character to my knowledge this phrase doesn't apply to and I'll leave it to you to guess.(No seriously I'm curious if people will guess right.)

2 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Personally anytime i see a thread like the first thing that comes to mind is "Warly's downsides are too hard he should have a gamebreaking ability to compensate"

thats not my argument at all, my argument is that in a single players setting most of his abilitys are something you likely wont ever consider.

On 8/13/2021 at 3:50 PM, Bugsworth said:

so, Warly lacks the ability to bring something new to the table, as in he’s not very unique. Well, his downsides are unique and I find them really fun, but his upsides are like, not usable. So, here’s the stuff he “brings”

Hiya. Warly main here. Let's go through this list, shall we?

Gazpacho: cools down in summer, just go in caves instead

Dragon fruit thingy: makes warmer in winter, just burn a tree. bruh!

You really shouldn't be using these dishes as your sole source of warmth in their seasons. They're best used in situations where you want to stay stable, but can't use other heating/cooling items. Such as boss fights or while on the ocean.

Fish cordon bleu: literally just an expensive harder to renew less useful eyebrella

The Cordon Bleu doesn't use an inventory spot. You could just use an eyebrella, but then you can't use a football helmet, miner's helmet, ect.

That one thing that switches health and sanity: lol there are better sanity and healing items

Admitedly a bit niche, but it has it's uses.

Volt jelly: KLEI STOP MAKING FIGHTING CHARACTERS, WE HAVE ENOUGH ALREADY

Didn't Warly come out before a lot of the current "fighting" characters? It's definitly been a couple years atleast.

Potato thing: basically every low tier food ever, easy fix, just buff a bit

Yeah, this dish is garbage. It's pretty much just a 1-1 port of the sweet potato souffle in Shipwrecked, but that dish was made with Shipwrecked's equivelent of carrots and Birchnuts.

Those two other dishes: they’re just hunger dishes, those already existed

Eh. Can't really refute this.

Glow berry mousse: have you heard of this item called a lantern or miner hat?

Again, those items take up an equipment slot. You can't have a lantern and a pickaxe equiped at the same time. 'Nor a football helmet and a miner hat. Glowberry mouse lets you have a light source, a backpack, a tool/weapon, and a helmet all at the same time.

now the spice

Chilly flakes: …k-Klei, what did I tell you about fighting characters…

See the Jelly.

Well why not just get rid of armor if this is going to be your argument?

That one that gives extra nutrition: it would just be better to make a new dish in 10 seconds rather than spend 5 days getting the spice

Ok yeah this is garbage. But I guess if you have the salt then there's no real harm in using it.

Honey crystals: they’re good I guess, but Bearger exists. It mines faster but Bearger exits for that too. Ruins its good for I guess, but there are also items you can craft to do the same.

Honey crystals can be made by day 3-4. They're great while Treeguards are still rare and you don't have acess to any other tree cutters.

Warly has 1.2 hunger drain for no reason other than in solo he had 133%, the thing about solo is that he also got 133% nutrition. in dst he doesn't get 120% nutrition, he only get 100%.

He has it because otherwise his refined pallet would be insanely easy to cheese. I mean it's already insanely easy to cheese by doubling meaty stew/Bacon and eggs. But it's better than nothing.

as much as i hate saying this about my favourite character, its just true. his ability's  don't bring new stuff, items already existed for those proposes. I like Warly, but he need a rework or something to make his ability's unique-er or actually something to use.

You're really underselling Warly here. While I would like to see him get a few tweaks, he's a pretty fun and challenging character.

As it stands, his only real problem is that none of his perks benefit him specifically. All his dishes can be eaten by other survivors (Save for the ones with their own dietary restrictions). It would be great if he got his SW stat bonuses from food back, or if bonus effects on food lasted longer/where more effective with him. 

Well...this post is like fart. Everyone would have benefitted from you keeping it in. It took 5 minutes of my life that I will never get back.

Saying that Warly is not a unique character is like saying that Wolfgang is bad at fighting. If you don't know how to play with him than yes he is worse than Wes....

2 hours ago, Bugsworth said:

thats not my argument at all, my argument is that in a single players setting most of his abilitys are something you likely wont ever consider.

In a single player setting he still has access to season nullification, darkness nullification, boosted action speeds, boosted defense, boosted attack, and portable kitchen sets. All that bundled into one playable character I'm not sure what's not unique, valuable, or not worth considering about that, but what people look at is his downsides.

1 hour ago, Theukon-dos said:

As it stands, his only real problem is that none of his perks benefit him specifically. All his dishes can be eaten by other survivors (Save for the ones with their own dietary restrictions).

Personally I don't see why this is a problem.

Feels like OP is playing with mods that extend durability of items and/or give additional slots (like separate slot for amulet or armour). Is hard to have for everybody eyebrella on first spring and some people have to suffer in coats, umbrellas and whatever they use to protect from rain and run without backpacks.

And miner hat normally work for one day in caves (or need to refill almost constantly), while mousse keep light for two days (which is super useful when comes to splumonkeys - you dont want to drop backpack for amour next to them).

Archived