problem with warly and why he needs a rework

so, Warly lacks the ability to bring something new to the table, as in he’s not very unique. Well, his downsides are unique and I find them really fun, but his upsides are like, not usable. So, here’s the stuff he “brings”

Gazpacho: cools down in summer, just go in caves instead

Dragon fruit thingy: makes warmer in winter, just burn a tree. bruh!

Fish cordon bleu: literally just an expensive harder to renew less useful eyebrella

That one thing that switches health and sanity: lol there are better sanity and healing items

Volt jelly: KLEI STOP MAKING FIGHTING CHARACTERS, WE HAVE ENOUGH ALREADY

Potato thing: basically every low tier food ever, easy fix, just buff a bit

Those two other dishes: they’re just hunger dishes, those already existed

Glow berry mousse: have you heard of this item called a lantern or miner hat?

now the spice

Chilly flakes: …k-Klei, what did I tell you about fighting characters…

That one that gives defence: lol does kiting not exist or something

That one that gives extra nutrition: it would just be better to make a new dish in 10 seconds rather than spend 5 days getting the spice

Honey crystals: they’re good I guess, but Bearger exists. It mines faster but Bearger exits for that too. Ruins its good for I guess, but there are also items you can craft to do the same.

Warly has 1.2 hunger drain for no reason other than in solo he had 133%, the thing about solo is that he also got 133% nutrition. in dst he doesn't get 120% nutrition, he only get 100%.

as much as i hate saying this about my favourite character, its just true. his ability's  don't bring new stuff, items already existed for those proposes. I like Warly, but he need a rework or something to make his ability's unique-er or actually something to use.

Can I please have back the confused face emote? Warly does what Warly is intended to do- be highly boring and cook special foods..

Warly is my least favorite character in the entire game…. But, I respect his design, and some people actually “like” him.

Things I would like to see Improved for Warly are pretty basic stuffs- 

New food dishes based on the newer content that’s been added over time.

New portable things- like I don’t know maybe a 4 slot portable fridge or something, I would also like to be able to (much like Woodie) use his special frying Pan as a melee weapon- Is it effective?? No… but it would be hilarious and better than no weapon at all.

It would also be cool if Klei implements the WintersFeast (feasting table) for him in some way.. like just prepare a table of food that gives all characters buffs while near it, Sure it takes away from what makes Wintersfeast unique… But also it makes Warly less boring.

Now it’s up to Klei to decide if the head chef needs an upgraded menu or if he has enough variety already ;) 

Are you forgetting his most important upside that is a portable crockpot? Cooking wherever you go is super useful and not forcing you to prebuild and then leave random crock pots wherever you want to make a dish, whether bc you just got the ingredients and they crowd your inventory, or run out of pre prepared stuff, or any other reason. 

His dishes are not meant to replace already existing solutions, they are an alternative. They work best when shared with other characters, like Fish Cordon Bleu for WX etc. And they're simply there because he himself needs a variety and as a professional chef can make those things. 

What's is wrong with fighting boost? 'Fighting characters already exist' yeah and Warly is not one of them. So spices will really be useful when you play as him. And if it's about character switching- still, so what? What's wrong with a bit higher or electric damage, or a defence boost? 

I don't understand the forumers obsession with "Something new". Why everything has to be a brand new revolution? Why can't a character just be good at something without the need to introduce a new mechanic to the game? 

I won't lie, I love Warly's downsides, I love Warly's portable crockpot and the variety of dishes.

... I just don't like actually playing Warly, weird I know...

But I don't think Warly needs a rework, Warly is fine as is and all the dishes have their purposes, you tried honey crystals with a moon glass axe against toadstool? It's pretty useful, spicy goat jelly speeds up alot of otherwise tedious fights, and synergizes well with the fish cordon bleu for making yourself not get wet during fights where it's likely going to be a downpour(as a downpour is desired for optimizing the goat jelly damage.)

Also "Just burn a tree", hey yall I think we've a willow main here.

If you remove all of that then he's no longer Warly though?

Most of his dishes seem generally very helpful in multiplayer.

Wet protection- This is particularly good in combat when its raining hard but you want your helmet. 

Switching health and sanity- The sanity bit is great for Wortox who would otherwise be glued to the tam. Switching sanity for health is great on Wormwood who can save the healing for later and turn to cheap seeds to get the sanity back.

Other recipes are similar. They definitely bring a lot to the table.

let me rephrase "rework" i mean just make his abilities more useful. he's good in a multiplayer setting, but i have no friends to play with. 

15 minutes ago, BezKa said:

Are you forgetting his most important upside that is a portable crockpot?

if warly didnt have access to portable crockpot he would just die.

2 minutes ago, Bugsworth said:

I mean yeah, but it's still super useful when playing with friends or lategame. Just because he needs it to live doesn't mean it isn't useful for anything else 

On 8/13/2021 at 3:50 PM, Bugsworth said:

Gazpacho: cools down in summer, just go in caves instead

Going to the caves for 2 hours every summer to deal with overheating is not what everyone wishes to do every 8-9 hours. If you want to do projects on the surface, especially in the oasis desert, you won't have the luxury of a cave ceiling to cool you down, so you will need alternative methods.

Gazpacho is not my favorite option as you have a bunch of non character specific ways to cool off, but it's certainty an option you posses and it's decent if you wish to use them.

Dragon fruit thingy: makes warmer in winter, just burn a tree. bruh!

It's a very easy to mass produce dish (1 dragonfruit 1 pepper and 2 honey is my preferred method) and you get a very solid return on your investment. You don't need any clothing item to keep you warm and can just rely on a supply of 15-20 salads to get through an entire winter. It also allows you to have virtually zero downtime as you won't need to burn trees to keep warm or swap thermals at a furnace, and fills a bit of hunger + sanity as a nice bonus.

Fish cordon bleu: literally just an expensive harder to renew less useful eyebrella

Said "eyebrella" doesn't take up a slot, instantly voids any wetness you had prior to consumption, and is spammable to produce. A frog rain and any fish source can easily allow you to stockpile them without much issue.

That one thing that switches health and sanity: lol there are better sanity and healing items

This is like saying that every other HP healing method is nonexistent because you can chomp butterfly wings which are found in 3 out of 4 seasons: yeah, it works, but there's other options that are almost as good as well. Grim galette being one of the more unique methods as you can potentially restore all of a specific stat using the complete opposite of what you should (like eating cooked cactus and swapping the stats to get a full HP heal)

Volt jelly: KLEI STOP MAKING FIGHTING CHARACTERS, WE HAVE ENOUGH ALREADY

I don't remember being able to transfer a 1.5X damage multiplier that can go all the way up to 3X in specific conditions to other non fighting characters...

Glow berry mousse: have you heard of this item called a lantern or miner hat?

You are completely neglecting that, again, this takes up no equippable slots. You can wear an armor + backpack + cane or weapon and still have visibility in the caves or ruins. Normally you would need to sacrifice one of the 3 in order to traverse those areas without issue, but the mousse allows you to skip that entirely.

Chilly flakes: …k-Klei, what did I tell you about fighting characters…

It's, again, able to be transferred to other characters. A 1.2X damage Wilson is almost on par with a base 1.25X Wigfrid, and you can do this with every character.

That one that gives defence: lol does kiting not exist or something

It does exist, but that doesn't mean every instance of damage ever is going to be 100% negated. You are still going to take damage time to time, especially on endgame bosses like the celestial champion. 33% reduction on top of other armor can make a serious difference, such as making the thulecite crown only block 2% less damage then marble armor/night armor, both of which usually have major drawbacks.

Honey crystals: they’re good I guess, but Bearger exists. It mines faster but Bearger exits for that too. Ruins its good for I guess, but there are also items you can craft to do the same.

You are not going to go across the map to lure bearger back across the map to chop ~15-20 trees and mine 2 boulders compared to just eating honey crystals and doing the work yourself. For small-medium tasks, they excel at doing work that's more efficient then base tools, but not as heavy duty as demolishing forests.

They are also very strong for the ruins, as you mentioned. While you can make a pick/axe to speed up statue mining it's incredibly tedious to walk all the way to the station and craft 2 new tools and use some thulecite to make a new one, not to mention an upgrade to the hammer doesn't exist.

Warly has 1.2 hunger drain for no reason other than in solo he had 133%, the thing about solo is that he also got 133% nutrition. in dst he doesn't get 120% nutrition, he only get 100%.

At least in DST it actually feels like a realistic downside to have. The problem in DS is it felt like he had the downside so he could specifically counter it with his upside from foods from a crock pot, and that just makes it feel like the upside is there to punish you for eating foods not from a crockpot more then it already did.

as much as i hate saying this about my favourite character, its just true. his ability's  don't bring new stuff, items already existed for those proposes. I like Warly, but he need a rework or something to make his ability's unique-er or actually something to use.

I feel like Warly already serves a good purpose: at being a team player that can assist in a variety of ways, some combat oriented, and others for resource gathering. Sure, there could be ways to make him better, but I think he's in an alright spot in a multiplayer scenario and a decent solo pick if you can work around the downsides.

5 minutes ago, Bugsworth said:

Not really, a Crock pot only takes 6 charcoal, 6 twigs, and 3 cut stone. He takes 3 days to starve. Sure, you're gonna need to craft a crockpot way early, but you're gonna be able to make a crock pot by day 3 easily unless you get extremely unlucky on world gen. Futhermore, that's the entire point of the portable crockpot. You don't need it at all, it just makes the character better to play as. You take it anywhere and it's even easier to make than a regular crock pot.

1 minute ago, SomebodyRandom said:

Not really, a Crock pot only takes 6 charcoal, 6 twigs, and 3 cut stone. He takes 3 days to starve. Sure, you're gonna need to craft a crockpot way early, but you're gonna be able to make a crock pot by day 3 easily unless you get extremely unlucky on world gen. Futhermore, that's the entire point of the portable crockpot. You don't need it at all, it just makes the character better to play as. You take it anywhere and it's even easier to make than a regular crock pot.

you would either have to base sit, or you would have 1 crock pot on every tile. you would need to mine more rocks than there are and take 10000000 twigs and need to chop 100000 burned trees. of course its possible, but if it was a thing that would be stupid.

Just now, Bugsworth said:

you would either have to base sit, or you would have 1 crock pot on every tile. you would need to mine more rocks than there are and take 10000000 twigs and need to chop 100000 burned trees. of course its possible, but if it was a thing that would be stupid.

Do you stockpile food for boss fights? I do, it's easy to do, it takes about a day, and I get a lot of food in return. Is it not possible to stockpile some food for like a season and just eat it through and then make more at the end? Also, don't even start on spoilage. Bacon and Eggs for example lasts 20 days.

you could kill deerclops faster than you can get two fish and froglegs. its also only last 5 minutes and is not reparable.

1 hour ago, Snugrugbug said:

How is 2 fish and 2 frog legs for complete wetness immunity for 5 minutes expensive?

1 hour ago, Bugsworth said:

Those two other dishes: they’re just hunger dishes, those already existed

Honey crystals: they’re good I guess, but Bearger exists. It mines faster but Bearger exits for that too.

"Harder to renew"  it's literally frog legs and fish.  The 2 easiest things to obtain in spring.  The season where you will be needing the dish the most.

The best hunger dishes in the game.

Bearger doesn't exist before the second year.  

Archived