Spaced Out! - Solar Swamped Update - 473720

• Developer

sprint15.png

Hi there, friends!

Today we present The Solar Swamped Update for Spaced Out! This update contains two new worldgen features. The first is a third Classic Cluster option: a large-sized Swamp Start so you can now play with the new biomes and critters on a larger world. The second is variable sunlight intensity per world. This introduces a progression to the effectiveness of solar panels (and sunburn risk) as you expand across the starmap.

There's TWO new songs in Spaced Out! to feast your ears on, as well as a number of new lore entries in the Codex. We've added details to the background of rocket interiors as they travel to different parts of space.

The new Location Sensor can be combined with an automation port on the Rocket Control Station to manage how your Duplicants use various facilities inside rockets. No more Meep using Mae's toilet or Ruby sneaking in a quick snack before launch!

And of course, there's a number of bug fixes and polish improvements. Please let us know in the bug forums if you see anything unexpected, and as always, thank you for your feedback!

All Oxygen Not Included Players

Now that both versions of the game are on a unified codebase, there will be simultaneous updates to the base game each time a DLC update goes out. While the Solar Swamped Update's new features are for Spaced Out!, this update also includes a large number of bug fixes for ONI.

We've fixed a number of issues introduced to the base game by the Breath of Fresh Air update, including a number of worldgen fixes (available on newly generated worlds) as well as some issues with Space Scanners.

Occasionally there may be new bugs as well, so as development on the game continues please let us know if you find any issues!

Full Patch Notes

Spoiler

Features And Major Changes

• Spaced Out! Only
    • Added Classic Swamp Cluster
    • Worldgen: Added varied sunlight & radiation values per world.Starting planets will be quite dim and the old "default" sunlight value will not be reached until you are closer to the outer planets in the cluster.
    • Add orbiting skybox objects for rocket interiors
    • Audio:
      • Added new dynamic song: Brighter Future
      • Added new dynamic song: To the Stars
    • Rocket Control Station can restrict access to a variety of interior buildings from being used while on the ground. No more Meep using Mae's toilet or Ruby sneaking in a quick snack before launch.
    • Added Starmap Location Sensor building

Changes And Improvements

• Adjusted colour/saturation of Ocean and Rust biome backgrounds
  • Adjustments to Cycle Sensor and Timer Sensor side screens to be more colorblind friendly.
  • Spaced Out! Only
    • Audio
      • Added Grubgrub sound
      • Added Grubgrub Wormling sound
      • Starmap music is muted during Temporal Tear victory notification.
      • Adjust audio mix on Cartographic Module
      • Added sound to Oracle Box artifact.
      • Add placeholder sound for Radiation overlay activation.
      • Dynamic songs with a Hook section more effectively return to the Day section if the player remains paused for a long time in the Hook section.
      • Dynamic songs with a Hook section will not return to the Hook section within one instance of the song if it returns to Day.
      • Dynamic songs with an Evening section will transition to Evening at 75% of the cycle rather than 60% of the cycle.
    • Regolith Biome Codex and Radioactive and Regolith planetoid naming prefix category
    • Lore for Temporal Tear Opener
    • New icon for Rocketry skill replacing placeholder icon
    • Minor art revisions to Artifact Analyzer
    • Hooked up Cosmic Archaeology achievement icon
    • Updated Chinese localization
  • Base Game Only
    • Added meter to UI art of Liquid Fuel Tank

Bug Fixes

• Fixed another trait exclusivity with some Ranching traits.
  • Gravitas Chandelier can be demolished.
  • Reverted unintentional change to steam’s molar mass back to 18.01528
  • Corrected capitalization of kilogram (kg)
  • Solar panel foundations will no longer by destroyed by Duplicant Breath or off gassing tiles like Oxylite
  • Fixed random solid tile destruction (Mafic rock in particular)
  • Fixed layering issue causing care package icons to render above other open UI panels
  • Serum Vial now correctly cures Zombie Spores instead of Slimelung
  • Fixed selection issue with rotatable and flippable buildings
  • Fixed crash when sorting skills screen by skill points or morale when a Duplicant is stored in a rocket.
  • Base game only
    • Fixed crash if a duplicant loses their balloon while in a rocket.
    • Worldgen: Fixed issue where Volcanea'a magma channels contained all obsidian and no magma.Also fixes Magma Channels trait.
    • Worldgen: Fixed issue where volcanoes would not spawn in the core on Rime.
    • Worldgen: Fixed Volcanic Activity trait not spawning volcanoes.
    • Worldgen: Improved worldgen rules for Rime and Oceania to decrease worldgen failures.
    • Worldgen: Fixed Geoactive and Geodormant traits.
    • Worldgen: Minor improvements to Rime, The Badlands, and Oasisse's worldgen rules to reduce failed seeds
    • Worldgen: Relaxed POI spawning rules to significantly reduce worldgen errors caused by world traits.
    • Fixed most cases where Sky Scanners' Automation output doesn't match the meteor shower. This also fixes some cases of them being stuck in the wrong state after upgrading a save.
    • Fixed Sky Scanner not consuming any power after it goes from Detecting to Not Detecting.
    • Fixed a bug where Sky Scanner would flicker its Automation output on load, causing connected doors to open and close.
    • Fixed an issue where in some cases a Sight-Seeing Module ejects a Duplicant on load.
  • Spaced Out! Only
    • Fixed bug that could cause massive amounts of Beetiny to spawn.
    • Fixed a bug where Space POIs had infinite capacity
    • Fixed a bug where Beeta Hives would render behind Drywall & Tempshift Plates.
    • Worldgen: Improved worldgen rules for Radioactive Terra Asteroid
    • Worldgen: Corrected Oxylite amounts in warp destination templates.
    • Pitcher Pump no longer allows nuclear waste to drip out
    • Fixed some possible music de-sync issues on Alpha2 and Prophet6 songs.
    • Railgun Payloads play their falling/impact animations.
    • Fixed a crash when rocket backgrounds are in an invalid state.
    • Fixed crash transporting Bristle Blossom seeds using the Cargo Bay or Interplanetary Launcher.

Changes Since Last Testing Branch Update

Spoiler

Changes

• Spaced Out!
    • Tweaked sunlight values on Regolith Asteroid, Superconductive Asteroid, Moo Asteroid. These changes will automatically be applied to clusters generated after Solar Swamped public testing began, but not worlds from before that point.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed crash when sorting skills screen by skill points or morale when a Duplicant is stored in a rocket.
  • Base game only
    • Fixed an issue where in some cases a Sight-Seeing Module ejects a Duplicant on load.
  • Spaced Out!
    • Fixed crash transporting Bristle Blossom seeds using the Cargo Bay or Interplanetary Launcher.

sprint15_notext.png

View full update

• Like 12
  • Ninja 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 2

17 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Worldgen: Added varied sunlight & radiation values per world.Starting planets will be quite dim and the old "default" sunlight value will not be reached until you are closer to the outer planets in the cluster.

starting planet
Rad 25->18
Sunlight: 80000(?) -> 20000 lux (150W per solar panel)

2nd planet
Rad 25->18
Sunlight 80000 -> 35000 (260W per solar panel)
tested on space out style (sandstone)

• Like 1

I suspect a significant portion of the playerbase will unwittingly simply skip past this nerf by stacking solar panel modules on top of each other on rocket platforms. This is a problem as that will also mean they skip most of the gameplay around generating power in the game. Dev coffee unlimited electricity generator should be added to sandbox without requiring debug for people who want an easy infinite power source and solar panel modules should be changed to produce power only during flight. 

Edited by Magheat2009
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, SharraShimada said:

What nerf? Its just more or less sunlight per asteroid. You could already build less solar panels.

you need more glass for less power on certain asteroids. I appreciate how they did this nerf because it's a lot more of just a discourager than an outright "you-can't-build-solar-panels-on-the-starting-asteroids".

• Like 3

Any word on the performance fix for base game (no dlc) after BOFA update? 

It's still very bad. Not what it used to before BOFA.

Game slowing down to a 20-30 FPS crawl on normal speed with small-medium sized base and partially explored map is pretty unplayable. 

(Had more than double of those framerates before BOFA was introduced)

And the "previous version" rollback beta probably won't be available forever right? (Neither will it ever have mod support for obvious reasons)

Edited by ALCRD

40 minutes ago, Magheat2009 said:

I suspect a significant portion of the playerbase will unwittingly simply skip past this nerf by stacking solar panel modules on top of each other on rocket platforms. This is a problem as that will also mean they skip most of the gameplay around generating power in the game. Dev coffee unlimited electricity generator should be added to sandbox without requiring debug for people who want an easy infinite power source and solar panel modules should be changed to produce power only during flight. 

Agreed, or just make the top solar module can produce power.

• Like 3

Hello,

You are talking about new bugs, but what about old bugs that are still there, especially those that were reported in legacy vanilla while you were working on SO and as a result went totally unnoticed?

Should we re-open new tickets for such bugs, after confirming they are still present?

If you wish to tackle old bugs, 2 very useful lists are:

• @Peter Han Stock Bug Fix mod. He'd love to be able to cross more bugs off of the list because they are fixed for real.
  • the wiki Exploits page that I maintain. I didn't re-confirm those, but I'm pretty sure none were fixed (at least none was mentioned in any patch notes). Start from the bottom, as they are ordered from mildest to the worst. I'll gladly confirm them and re-open bug reports if you are interested in fixing those.

Since I care about those bugs, here is a small short-list of bugs I'd love to see fixed:

• Most annoying for beginners: Pacu Pathfinding Bug: this bug report links to countless other similar ones.
  • Most annoying for experienced players: the Left-to-Right Bug: here is the detailed bug report. Having to pay attention to direction for heat exchangers gets old. Any player that transition from beginner to experienced gets bitten by this. I hesitated, but the liquid => debris temperature bug is a close second, though it's generally not as annoying.
  • Worst existing exploit: the Liquid duplication bug: here is the detailed bug report.
  • The one I'm the most annoyed went unnoticed: Race condition in buildings Internal Storage leading to wrong temperature: here is the detailed bug report. I spent quite a lot of time nailing down the actual cause and even build a tentative fix (which might work now since you fixed some Steam deletion by Steam Turbines).
  • The one Peter Han cares the most about: the Tower of Terror: here is the detailed bug report. It seems to happen more often now (both for new and experienced players), and the fix is trivial.
  • Low-hanging bugs that have an easy fix (thanks Peter): gulp fish freezing (makes them essentially unusable since the bottle freezing change in mergedown), auto sweeper loops when moving slime/oxylite, and fish release always showing critter count as 0 (it has never been usable since it was introduced), vanilla rocket tanks don't respect capacity changes. All those are detailed in Stock Bug Fix.

Hopefully my plea will be heard!

Edited by Fradow
whispers from Peter
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 4

my wishlist right now is the autopilot for rockets and asteroid traits or some kind of variety in the SO maps aside from the random 9 or so geysers

maybe an easier source of radiation for mutated plants cause wheeze worts are limited, shinebugs hurt fps, radioactive contaminants are finicky/die fast, and compressed nuclear waste is annoying to setup as tiles

12 hours ago, ATM Reaper said:

Swamp planet, really........ Im officially not talking to you Klei until we get a Rime classic DLC..... Humph!

Pfff, I want RIME EXTREME TO THE MAX, where at the edges of map oxygen freezes! Hell yea!

• Like 1

I appreciate to hear this game is still under active development.

2 years ago I ran into some minor but annoying bugs. I saw they were reported and decided to wait until they were fixed. Unfortunately they're still there, so I haven't played since, which is a shame because it's a great game.

I hope that at some point you stop developing new features and work through the bug tracker. 

There's willingness from modders to contribute to the code, so maybe it would be good to make a process for this.

Edited by Erikvv
  • Haha 1