Early thoughts on the beta

you cant tame the gators 0/10

In all seriousness though, the I like the feel of the update. Boats feel amazing now, and honestly the update is good just because of that. As for the actual meat of  the update, it's a little lacking. We got a new food item, and along with it came 4 new recipes, which are a mixed bag. Figatoni seems pretty good, giving 56 hunger and 30 health for a fig 2 veggies and any filler besides meat. The fig-stuffed trunk is alright as well, trading some hunger from the koala trunk and filler ingredients for 60 hp worth of healing. Sadly the figkabob and froggy figwich are pretty bad. Figkabob can be decent for healing, but will always end up wasting hunger, and the figwich straight up gives less hunger and health than the bunwich, and probably it's ingredients as well. Wurt and Warly players have some new food options to choose from though.

New fauna, well we have grassgators which you cant tame, much to my dismay. Here I was hoping I'd get the water beefalo I've wanted so badly, oh well. New water spiders look cool, but that seems to be about it, and since regular spiders can go on boats now, I really don't see them getting too much use. They can probably do well against crab king, but I wouldn't know, I tried to fight crab with them and the game crashed twice, I drowned trying to telepoof away 3 times, and the only attempt that actually got the fight started was ruined by some random gnarwail who thought it'd be funny to push my boat 5 screens away from crab. There's also a new type of ocean fish if you care about that, doesn't seem to be any different from any other ocean fish. As for flora there are figs and a type of water tree, They're fine I guess, you can't dig up water tree stumps though.

If you're doing an ocean only survival world then this update is great for you, as you can now get logs outside of the lunar biome, and more food doesn't hurt. I hate to be so cynical over something that's like an hour old, but man I really wanted to be able to ride grassgators. They already use the same animations as beefalo do, so I can't imagine it'd be that hard to make them tameable.

32 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

They already use the same animations as beefalo do, so I can't imagine it'd be that hard to make them tameable.

I think the issue here is more about the design aspect, not how difficult it'd be to animate. Tameable gators would add the questions of how do you tame them? Do they like the same food? If they like different food, is it too hard or too easy to obtain? Do you use the same saddles for them? Do they like salt licks? What happens when they buck you off in the water? Can they go into deeper waters even though they're just walking in shallow water? Do they go slower there? Do they have tendencies? Etc etc...

All questions that you can probably come up with some kind of answer for, but would require a lot of thought and balancing on the part of the devs.

I am mixed to the point that I kinda don't like it? I mean, I like the new trees to populate rivers with but this whole thing feels odd like it's a mini hamlet ripoff with a mix of shipwrecked. Weird thing is not being able to chop the giant trees down for tons of wood, grass gator design is just from the concepts with beefalo animations, they don't even look like they would do anything interesting at the current moment and the rest of the stuff is just kinda... is.

It kinda makes me annoyed to how close to similarity with tropical experience mangroves and biomes just plopped in randomly rather than being integrated somewhere where they'd work well at. Places that this new biome could be at is near moon island or closer to swamp or some distant destinations we could swim to. But - nope! Whoops, sea swamps wherever! They just... don't mix well with anything in the ocean, I feel. 

Fig foods are okay, I guess? The fig frogwich needs a buff cause that's kind of a dumb dish to exist to the more health orientated counterpart. Maybe needing to give more sanity cause 10 sanity ain't a lot when stats are just 8 hp or something and barely any food value. Koala trunks are hard to get but I feel like it's the joke how it's similar to waffles and buttered lobster - being hard and tedious to cook meaning there's no point in cooking if you want efficiency or enjoyment in doing so. It's like, a one time thing. Other dishes are fine, I guess. Fig kebab is pretty decent and figoccini or whatever is pretty nice and affordable.

No comment on water spiders, they're kinda neat but don't really exist in terms that I prolly won't do anything there but pick up a full bundle of figs and go away then plant and grow big trees elsewhere.

Overall, the swampy tropical theme just doesn't work with the rest of the game. Moon stuff is alien and appeared outa nowhere and that's fine, but with how small the ocean map is that whole biome feels just off-putting small and boring. They don't fit in all that well imo. Unless the rest of the ocean is going to be vegetated to fit the swampy and mesh with the cold rockiness of the rest of the ocean I don't think I can like this new thing. I know sea weeds exist and they were kinda weird but fitted to the rocky surfaces they grew but this one's a bit of an overkill.

Oh, and the boat speed increase from just rowing the boat? Maybe let that be a thing only applied to sails? Rowing with a paddle now feels like your hands are doing most of the work so what is the point of sails anymore?

I see some nice potent to the gators, if you teleport them they won't try to return to their biome by just sinking which seems to be nicely exploitable to make twigs farming better than with twiggy trees as they spawn them quite frequently, that would require further testing but that seems to be the top of their ability, using them as fighting seems to be as useful as making any other large creature involved into fights so doesn't look any more useful than the other things we have in the game, but the good thing is that they respawn anyway so that can be a easy source of leafy meat I guess ?

17 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Overall, the swampy tropical theme just doesn't work with the rest of the game. Moon stuff is alien and appeared outa nowhere and that's fine, but with how small the ocean map is that whole biome feels just off-putting small and boring. They don't fit in all that well imo. Unless the rest of the ocean is going to be vegetated to fit the swampy and mesh with the cold rockiness of the rest of the ocean I don't think I can like this new thing. I know sea weeds exist and they were kinda weird but fitted to the rocky surfaces they grew but this one's a bit of an overkill.

To me the biome is okay, there's already Sea Weed micro biomes out of nowhere and that was fine so we just get even more small environments with plants and stuff, it's gonna feel really fill in the end so that's probably what players wished back then during RoT, we just don't know what the planned biomes are going to be.

Gators and the Striders are a nice addition to the biome. I don't think we should be able to ride them. I'd rather have a fully aquatic mob as a second mount.
I'd like it very much if we could breed the Gators and have them care for their habitat, creating an actual eco system, they would drop fertilizers for the trees and the trees would produce the figs, which would be consumed by the Gators, and the process would repeat.
Figs and fig dishes should definitely have something special about them, waterbreathing (I know this is far fetched), wetness resistance, or maybe even water proofing (You eat the fig and you won't "die" when you fall in the ocean? You find land with all your things still with you and no health penalty, that could be a thing).
I don't think Tree Jam works... you spread that on a tree and it grows? That's so weird.
The Fig looks amazing! In both art and as a fruit, but gosh darn it, those dishes look awful. It's like a mesh of ingredients put together like an abomination. Nothing looks cooked, nothing looks like an actual dish, not appetizing, terrible stats. They are just some mediocre dish added to the mediocre pile of mediocre food we already have.
Why not make good appealing food? Fig Cake, Fig Milkshake, Fig Filled Newtons, Sauteed Roasted Figs, Fig Yogurt. SO MANY DISHES. But we get ANOTHER kabobs, ANOTHER froggle bunwich and whatever the hell are those other 2 dishes. This is just lazy and terrible.

In summary, it's a good start for a new Update Arc but it's just another droplet in the ocean.

Tree Jam can be used to repair boat leaks. And by repair, I mean straight up heal them AKA close the hole permanently like it never happened.

Also, you can plant giant trees anywhere there's water and the canopy will protect everything under it from wildfires and lightning, but the usefulness of that is kinda dubious since, again, it can only be planted on water.

1 minute ago, QuartzBeam said:

Tree Jam can be used to repair boat leaks. And by repair, I mean straight up heal them AKA close the hole permanently like it never happened.

Also, you can plant giant trees anywhere there's water and the canopy will protect everything under it from wildfires and lightning, but the usefulness of that is kinda dubious since, again, it can only be planted on water.

is that real? the canopy will protect everything under it? that's great, i want to build my summer base there.

36 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Tree Jam можно использовать для устранения утечек в лодке. И под ремонтом я имею в виду прямое исцеление их AKA, закрытие дыры навсегда, как будто этого никогда не было.

Кроме того, вы можете сажать гигантские деревья в любом месте, где есть вода, и навес защитит все, что находится под ним, от лесных пожаров и молний, но польза от этого сомнительна, поскольку, опять же, его можно посадить только на воде.

Have you forgotten about the small inclusions of the sea in the mainland!

2 minutes ago, Creatorofswamps said:

Have you forgotten about the small inclusions of the sea in the mainland!

Ok and what about for bases that aren't located by the water, guess you just lose out

I'm going to be so disappointed if Wormwood doesn't get something out of this. He's even on the front of the new main menu screen. 

Again his speed stat is great, but there isn't any way for the character to develop himself further in the end game. Just speed.

I love how Webber has this cool strategic endgame. An assortment of different spiders in their own pens for different occasions. Now he's getting a new toy to play with.

Please Klei, don't ignore Wormwood.

It doesn't even need to be op or an advantage. Kinda how he can camp out in the jungle in Hamlet. Just new interactions for the little guy to eat his heart out. Man...  I'm gonna be so sad.

4 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I'm going to be so disappointed if Wormwood doesn't get something out of this. He's even on the front of the new main menu screen. 

Again his speed stat is great, but there isn't any way for the character to develop himself further in the end game. Just speed.

I love how Webber has this cool strategic endgame. An assortment of different spiders in their own pens for different occasions. Now he's getting a new toy to play with.

It doesn't even need to be op or an advantage. Kinda how he can camp out in the jungle in Hamlet. Just new interactions for the little guy to eat his heart out. Man...  I'm gonna be so sad.

No new wormwood interactions here so far, sorry pal :(. But it's still a beta subject to change!

2 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Honestly I wouldn't be opposed to only Wormwood being able to tame gators.

6 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

I think the issue here is more about the design aspect, not how difficult it'd be to animate. Tameable gators would add the questions of how do you tame them? Do they like the same food? If they like different food, is it too hard or too easy to obtain? Do you use the same saddles for them? Do they like salt licks? What happens when they buck you off in the water? Can they go into deeper waters even though they're just walking in shallow water? Do they go slower there? Do they have tendencies? Etc etc...

All questions that you can probably come up with some kind of answer for, but would require a lot of thought and balancing on the part of the devs.

Isn't that what the devs are meant to do? Put thought into their updates and balance them in a fun and fair way? They could be a harder to tame version of beefalo that provide not only the ability to go on land and water, but maybe being better in other ways, like higher damage, or saving you from drowning.

14 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

Isn't that what the devs are meant to do? Put thought into their updates and balance them in a fun and fair way? They could be harder to tame version of beefalo that provide not only the ability to go on land and water, but maybe being better in other ways, like higher damage, or saving you from drowning.

Resimplifying the oceans into the uninspiring WASD? No thanks. Klei has just overhauled the ship, I don't think they will and I don't want that to happen.

2 hours ago, Cassielu said:

Resimplifying the oceans into the uninspiring WASD? No thanks. Klei has just overhauled the ship, I don't think they will and I don't want that to happen.

You wouldn't have to use them, boats would still be needed to reach the waterlogged biome, and gators would never be able to compare to the new top speed boats have. Gators or any other mountable aquatic mob would be for slower more precise movement, such as around brine shoals, or fighting crab king (who would probably get some sort of overhaul since crab king is unable of killing the player if they have a dwarf star and aren't using a boat).

Also saying wasd in uninspired is a bad argument, by that logic 90% of games on the market have uninspiring movment. Does that make joysticks uninspired? How about directional pads? Really, this argument sucks.

7 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

It's not tropical really, it's just a swamp with gators.
Edit: It's a bayou! That's the word I was looking for.

if it were me, I'd place this new biome underground where it would belong.It's swampy and lush and tries to keep the sun away and feels like could would in caves more than sea. Gives me mix feelings when it's mixed with the cold ocean-y world.

2 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

On one hand I love the new spiders but on the other hand it feels like spiders are just the best overall followers in terms of combat now kinda killing the point of Merm guardians as fear resistance is very lackluster now compared to what spiders can do...

ok but you seem to forget the part where you cant be webber and wurt at once

6 hours ago, Baark0 said:

Also saying wasd in uninspired is a bad argument, by that logic 90% of games on the market have uninspiring movment. Does that make joysticks uninspired? How about directional pads? Really, this argument sucks.

This is the most ridiculous possible interpretation of their argument and absolutely is not what they meant. In comparison to the boats we have and all of their unique mechanics and effort it takes into controlling each part, the ability to simply go out into the ocean and walk around with WASD would feel, in comparison, simple and uninspired. Note that it's in comparison, 90% of games on the market probably didn't introduce an interesting and unique way of movement and then add a second where you just walk around with a d-pad.

Of course one of the most basic control schemes ever isn't uninspired, it's when it's added to an area of a game that already has really creative movement that it would feel uninspired.

I like the update thus far. It is a beta so I’m assuming they’ll add more content as it goes along (to this specific beta)? I say that because there doesn’t seem to be much new to do. There’s a bunch of new stuff to see, but you can’t really do much with it yet.

I’m not going to lie, it’s probably just me, but I’m not seeing the difference with boats. They seem the same to me (handling, speed, etc.). I do like how they stop on their own, this is a huge improvement.

Also, I’m not getting what’s chill about this beta. Unless they mean easy going instead of cold. It’s definitely easy going. Not much danger. The spiders just have a bit more health than regular ones (I like this). Kind of a neat place to check out overall.

Ps. OrangE did a video with the water spiders fighting crab king if you care to see.

Pss. what are those vines/spider nests hanging from... :???:

Archived