What would you like to see in a future update?

Me personally, I want mountable orcas, or some way to travel the ocean at a faster rate, while not risking my boat by flying at mach 5 across the waters. I'd also like to see the world become more challenging/interesting over time, instead of hound waves that can be avoided entirely by just going into the caves, or by placing some houndius shootius behind some statues.

I'd also like to see magic get fleshed out more, maybe be an alternative to the standard melee combat we've had for so long, or just more interesting magic items. It's magic, so pretty much anything is possible.

41 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

I'd also like to see magic get fleshed out more, maybe be an alternative to the standard melee combat we've had for so long, or just more interesting magic items. It's magic, so pretty much anything is possible.

I agree. Perhaps some of the magic items and such from the Revenge of Maxwell mod. I would also like to see an expansion on nightmare related things. A new area that's like a "shadow realm" if you will? 

Considering the upcoming update and nautical collection, I really hope the next arc will have more ocean oriented content.

Aside from that, the world progression would be nice, and one thing that could be added is a mob akin to morb from ONI, spawning in areas with plenty of rot and rotten eggs left behind by pengulls, but would actually eat the damn stuff bc there's just so much of it left in long term worlds. 

QoL updates are always nice to see. 

Magic is certainly an aspect of the game I feel is being left behind. We're more in the realm of alien sci-fi as of late.

More living log and nightmare fuel crafts!

On top of this, despite getting a lot of lunar related updates... it always feels lacking...

Perhaps chaos crafts. A combination of lunar and nightmare, big risk, but big benefits!

Some expansions to the RoG foundation DST is built upon would be awesome. I'd love more seasonal changes to make, say, Winter and Summer worth staying for since most players leave before or during those seasons.

One of the biggest things I would love to see is biome variation + identity, a randomized chance to get alternative versions of certain biomes, like my example of a foggy forest variant for the dark forest biome.

Also, if biomes could have something native worth travelling to instead of being ground + natural biome resources, that'd be cool to see!

Please more scary dark things! DST always reminded me of Tim Burton but lately everything has been light and happy (minus the boss). I'd love to see a new biome full of mangroves with new fruits (as DST lacks many fruits like Mangos, lemons, etc) and I'd love to see new bosses. AND NEW SKINS: 1. Billy/Gorge Goat skin for Hutch  2. Rose bush wall skin for grass wall 3. Hedge wall skins from Hamlet for grass wall  and maybe some Charlie themed skins for other things. Imagine being able to skin Glommer into the Glommy skin too!  There's so much ideas running inside my brain I could probably write a paragraph about it!  :lol: (And I despise writing with a passion.)

What I want is some semi-stability elements. Things that the player can't control but has to plan around. Not exactly as a "craft x to get into y" or "prepare for z in the same monotonous way", but things that the player has to always be prepared for, natural events and malfunctions in player equipment that whittles away at the resources of even the mega base crafters who have an empire spanning this side of the constant to the lunar islands and the caves below.

I keep on seeing people asking for more content for the oceans, and it might be the game design book I read that gives me the hauteur to say this, but I think the oceans have something fundamentally wrong that makes players think it's barren no matter how much content is actually there. I believe it might do with the way most of the content can just be ignored by the creation of boat bridges, as well as the way to skip the actual sailing using Woodie to find the lunar island and ignoring all of the rest of the ocean except for specific hotspots.

...Also Glom Glom cute can we have skins thanks developers.

6 minutes ago, Wumpus the 19th said:

I think the oceans have something fundamentally wrong that makes players think it's barren no matter how much content is actually there.

Currently most of the ocean is just water with the occasional rocks and salt formations. It's not that people think it's barren, the ocean just is barren. Really the only thing out in the ocean is crab king, pearl's island, lunar island, and maybe seaweeds, and you'll probably want to go to a salt formation to get a salt box, but that's a 1 time thing unless you want to get more. Sunken chests, while providing good loot, are usually in the middle of no where, and often far away from your boat's location.

Another problem with the ocean is that boats are clunky and boring to use, you literally set your boat's course and then sit there and do nothing, and they're really slow unless you invest in 5+ masts or 2 malbatross masts, neither of which are all that cheap to make.

36 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

Currently most of the ocean is just water with the occasional rocks and salt formations. It's not that people think it's barren, the ocean just is barren. Really the only thing out in the ocean is crab king, pearl's island, lunar island, and maybe seaweeds, and you'll probably want to go to a salt formation to get a salt box, but that's a 1 time thing unless you want to get more. Sunken chests, while providing good loot, are usually in the middle of no where, and often far away from your boat's location.

Another problem with the ocean is that boats are clunky and boring to use, you literally set your boat's course and then sit there and do nothing, and they're really slow unless you invest in 5+ masts or 2 malbatross masts, neither of which are all that cheap to make.

Now i'm going to be pretentious and quote the book author I mentioned, as Content Spreads Thin. The concept of sailing on the ocean is not what's screwed, it's more the fact there's nothing to do or interactivity to sailing. The idea of an ocean, especially an explorable ocean like this one, is that it's very hot spot driven, where there's only what you want and the rest is just dead time and possible sinking from things like rock formations.

This is where I thought of looping back to my semi-stability idea. Add natural waves that knock the player around, like in Shipwrecked. Add Heavy rainstorms that disrupt sailing and require the player to work around it instead of bullheading their way through the problem or building some massive fan that blows away storms. Add winds making it difficult to sail in certain directions during certain times. Make the majority of the ocean more interactive, and the content won't spread as thin. I also advocate that the interactivity is not something that can be waived with craftables, make the player have to deal with it all of the time they want to sail, take away control of literally everything from the player in a game about having no control over your situation and simply sapping the land around you of resources in order to sustain yourself. Give a player the chance to plan, work, and sustain against the threat, but never allow the player to remove the threat entirely, keep forever vigilant against it, as that's interactivity with the game.

I could sit and list stuff I'd want for hours and hours but if I were to narrow it down the few things I'd personally hope for are...

A lunar collection! I'm hyper bummed they didn't jump on it when RoT was going. It's too good not to do.

I'd also love to see more horror mobs, you can disable them now so I personally see no reason not to expand on them, there were tons of cut horror mobs I'd love to see eventually get added.

New ocean biomes are a must, it's so barren right now. 

More of what was promised when Klei first started these updates- new biomes, new mobs, new stuff to craft and do, new enemy types to see and fight.

I want to see this game truly evolve into the franchise I KNOW it’s capable of becoming someday, Dont Starve has the largest potential in the world to rival or even surpass Minecraft in global popularity…

Klei has been taking a lot of huge steps lately- new content, changing up existing characters with exciting fresh gameplay, giving the player more world preferences such as no insanity monsters or tons of insanity monsters- truly allowing us to play how we feel like playing at the time. They’ve been promoting the game on the Xbox Live Events app (really glad to see that there by the way.) and so much more- But it’s just not enough….

With new consoles here I KNOW the game is capable of much more then we’re getting currently and I was very hopeful Klei would’ve revealed something at E3 this year but that’s come and gone… 
I want them to continue to provide us new areas to explore, new mobs to fight, new ways of playing the game. And I fully expect some huge announcements soon.

As a bit of what I would PERSONALLY like to see: it feels a waste to have so many mobs, biomes and even scrapped assets that just aren’t in the game…

Shipwrecked, Hamlet, Gorge and Forge inspired locations I can sail into and play within would be lovely.. 

Aka: Dense Jungles, Tropical Beaches, Ruined cities, Volcanic magma biomes etc..

In short: A much bigger game then what we currently have. 

As a bit of a personal request to Klei Staff which I will spoiler tag this since it could be seen as off topic-

Spoiler

I Have not been on these forums as much because I met a girl in a mobile game I had been playing and feel absolutely in love with her, unfortunately.. she speaks 98% Spanish and I know very little Spanish- but that’s where the game I’m playing with her plays a part into this request: Can you PLEASE consider adding a language translation button into Dont Starve Together? The mobile game (State of Survival) has one built in that allows me to Translate what she says in Spanish into my language English & Vice-Versa..

For a game called Dont starve TOGETHER you guys should be a little more open to making it easier for people of all languages to play and communicate TOGETHER.

I know this is a massive task to tackle- but if it was done I’m sure many people would appreciate it. :wilson_love:

Since I'm pretty sure that Klei didn't add a single thing from suggestions that I had been making since 2018/19, here let me list some stuff, from general to specific ones.

-Ability to pause 'Alone' worlds

-More dark atmosphere akin to Gorge's

-More lunar horror mobs: moonstorm birds spawning naturally on lunar islands (passive). Koalefant-Varg abomination as a miniboss/greater danger inside the moonstorms and more simmilar mutations inside the storm.

-New ocean content

-More immersion: pigman wearing fur durring winter, mobs getting more idle animations and interactions. New sprites for stuff like boulders, grass tufts etc. Small plants and insects that you can't interact with, leaves blowing on the wind

-A sense of progression:

Spoiler

-Pigman start getting smarter throughout the years: they pick up and harvest resources to always have 10 of each basic resource in their inventory. They harvest bushes and fertalize them. They clean their own poop. They learn how to use gates and jump over fances. If they are near the pig king they create some farm plots, plant seeds and harvest the crops while getting rid of weeds. Maximum development: they can craft a campfire if homeless, they wear armor and won't attack eachother. You can use monster meat to easily 'disarm' them and gather pig skin.

-New mob: a bore-ing lizard. It compensates for the fact that pigmen won't be an easy source of pigskin anymore. It lives near original pig villages in a mud pile. If you feed it it'll shed its skin resulting in pig skin for you. Has a cooldown.

-New mobs and plants appearing in the world after some time.

-Some sort of irreversible change as a result of players action. Maybe once you complete 1st lunar altar a new mob appears on the mainland which behaviour depands on the phase of the 'Moon'

-Randomness:

Spoiler

-Every season after the 1st year the game rolls a dice and chooses a random seasonal effect that will happen this season: winter could choose from blizzards that create piles of snow, extreme cold (even winter crops don't grow here and you'd need a body slot warm clothing), new migrating species. Spring: new invasive plant species from lureplant's family, plants grow to huge proportions, some areas away from man-made structures flood and create a temporary biome with new mobs and plants. Summer: summer storms instead of the usuall hot summer, 'sun'flowers spawn around the mainland but not in the deserts, crow people traders appear in some places on the map. Autumn: piles of leaves, act like tumbleweeds, pumpkin heads roaming the area, mud piles

-New mobs on the mainland which spawn and despawn unlike koalefants. Seize the opportunity or lose it.

-Random night events akin to uncompromising mod

-Add Mumsy and Billy as npcs with their respective setpiece somewhere in a dark forest. They'd trade some of your resources for their Gorge-specific ones: wheat and turnip seeds, sugarwood trees and spice bushes plus some decorations blueprints.

-Split cooking between 3 stations and give them a 5th window- for fuel, cooking won't start without it

-A new ocean biome:

Spoiler

Island with unique mobs and plants. Has Big Foot's body on one of its shores. It rots away into the waters creating the surrounding ocean biome: toxic waters that constantly damage your boat- you'd need a new boat upgrade: a hull upgrade simillar to mast upgrades.

Mobs: slimes- drop slime, their attacks damage both you and the equipment in your inventory, ocean depth worms- mimic kelp, drop their scales, toxic bugs- same attack as slimes.

Plants: shifting berry bush- eating its berry gives you a random positive or negative effect, fruit trees- grow a random fruit that can appear on farms, after 3 harvests need to be fertalized with glommer goop

-New ocean mob: a trader octopus which communicates with minisigns. Give it 2 gold and it'll pull out a 3-slotted chest that contains some ocean stuff or stuff that you could use on boat. You can only pick one item.

58 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

(even winter crops don't grow here

no thank you if there is no way to stop this its difficulty for the sake of difficulty and the fact that its random makes me not want it more since its just a nerf to farming because ??? everything else in this post i find fine but this just no thanks

11 minutes ago, Dextops said:

no thank you if there is no way to stop this its difficulty for the sake of difficulty and the fact that its random makes me not want it more since its just a nerf to farming because ??? everything else in this post i find fine but this just no thanks

Didn't want to make op too long but sure, I'll explain it to you.

The seasonal effects would potentially impact each other.

For example 'sun'flowers from random summer effect would normally serve as something to avoid- they overheat you and set you on fire if you get close. However if you use ice/ice stuff on it you'd be able to dig them up. With dragonfly scales you'd craft a flower pot and you'd be a ble to plant them whatever, in a controleld manner, just fertalize them with ashes every so often. Durring winter they'd allow plants and crops to grow, even durring extreme colds 

I want to see magic utilized more. More uses for nightmare fuel. For as plot relevant as it is, magic items beyond dark swords are largely ignored or only used in niche situations. Granted, I'm not exactly sure what this would entail- perhaps something focusing on the combined power of lunar and shadow magic? I mean- the ancients seemed to have that figured out.

10 hours ago, BezKa said:

Aside from that, the world progression would be nice, and one thing that could be added is a mob akin to morb from ONI, spawning in areas with plenty of rot and rotten eggs left behind by pengulls, but would actually eat the damn stuff bc there's just so much of it left in long term worlds.

After maaaaaanyyyy hours of DST my opinion of rotten eggs as useless clutter has shifted to a useful resource! They provide decent fuel for Ice Flingomatics, but more importantly, ~ 25 gunpowder (and thus the same amount of rotten eggs) is perfect for making minimal work of the Antlion. It takes 30 gunpowder to kill the Antlion in one blast, although then the loot will perishes in the explosion. After a 25 gunpowder blast the Antlion will burn for a few seconds and once it extinguishes can be defeated with a few hits from a dark sword.

If I can get this amount of rotten eggs, or slightly more, on a yearly basis it runs at a very nice break-even. Nitre usually sits around in excess, since it comes from petrified trees and boulders as a by-product from rocks mining, which is carried out ever so often. Charcoal is easily obtained by growing and burning trees, which is nice, easy and fun to do from time to time.

The only resource that keeps piling up no matter what is hound teeth. They just keep accumulating. >_>

Rot can be found when traversing the world but not to an annoying degree, hence I won't digress.

Feature wish list:

- A pause function (even in the form of an in-game mechanic) (Klei, imagine the number of bladders you could save and urinary incontinence you have a chance of preventing)

- Steam Cloud integration (would be useful for providing backups of worlds)

- Crabbits & Pebble Crabs

- Adjustment to sailing (an overhaul is in the works, the devs mentioned already...?)

- A captain hat item or reskin

- There is one feature that I've deemed important for a longer time but now memory fails me @-@

12 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

Steam Cloud integration (would be useful for providing backups of worlds)

Isnt this a thing already? I always have my worlds after formating my pc without the need of pasting my backup folder

3 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

For all we know, the "overhaul" could just be code optimizations, rather than changes to the gameplay. :/

And i wish is just that

I'm really hoping there's some decent boat/ocean changes in the works, cause ever since the novelty of new content wore off, I've found sailing and collecting ocean loot to be a total slog. The problem is two-fold, imo.

On one hand, you have abysmal maneuverability combined with content that requires the exact opposite.

Clearing a single Brine Shoal requires a couple of days' worth of time spent in a tedious loop of "mine salt, gather some of it, raise anchor, paddle to next salt, drop anchor, mine salt" followed by having to paddle all the way around the rocks to get the salt crystals that fell just out of reach.

Sea Weeds are extremely punishing to fight directly as they attack all at once and you get punished with boat leaks even if you dodge their projectiles. So you are more or less forced to wait for night and go into another tedious loop of "harvest/kill one sea weed, raise anchor, paddle to the next sea weed, drop anchor, kill/harvest sea weed". And that's not gonna give you any meaningful food unless it's a Winter night.

On the other hand, you have a bunch of content that spawns randomly around the player in the same way that Suspicious Dirt Piles do on land. Gnarwails, Ocean Fish, Empty Bottles and subsequently Sunken Chests all spontaneously pop into existence just by spending a lot of time at sea.

Which means, unfortunately, that all of these require an indefinitive time investment to acquire, as you can never really know how long it'll take for them to pop up. Particularly bad in the case of Gnarwail Horns, thermal fish and bottles, which you need several of. 

Essentially, I often get the impression that the ocean is designed to waste the players' time. All the content in it is either time-consuming by default or RNG dependent, which can make it even more time consuming, and the player is apparently expected to just give up everything else they are doing and devote an undefined amount of time just for sailing to get anything out of it.

Archived