Water spiders

Since we are getting swimming spiders along with the new island, I've been wondering what kind the spiders would be. 

1. The most obvious would be to merge spiders with striders- 

Spoiler

Plik:Water strider in a pond.jpg – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia

Funny, would be a merge of animals, probably quick and weak. I vote for this one.

2. Dolomedes plantarius

Is a spider I had an honor of meeting myself at the dock of a tiny pond. These beasts are as big as middle part of your palm, and hunt by diving under the water and eating larva of dragonflies and other bugs, but also catch small fish and frogs. They also grab and eat whatever unlucky bug fell into the water and is stuck on it's surface. They don't build webs, just sit on the bank and wait to lunge. Impressive guys, one of my favorite spiders :)

Spoiler

p1130458.jpg?w=627

Not sure how they would work in the game. The diving part could be interesting, so they can swim up to you underwater, maybe. Or lunge at the player from the shore, retreat in the water, repeat. 

3. Argyroneta aquatica 

They live completely underwater, their whole life. It builds a net underwater in a shape of a bell and gathers air inside- where it retreats whenever it needs to breathe. They hunt underwater bugs, slugs, etc, and get new air for their underwater net by carrying bubbles between their hairs. It's really cool!

Spoiler

pajak_topik_2.jpg

Due to being only active underwater, not sure how it would work in the game. I could imagine them storing stuff in their nests, which we would want to obviously fish out- making them attack us on the boat. 

4. D. briangreenei

Australian (duh) spider that just as the strider can move on the water surface. It hangs by it's hind legs onto the shore and spreads itself out to feel vibrations of the water. It can calculate how far away and how big the prey is with this method, then literally run on the water to catch it. And it's so pretty too!

Spoiler

spider.jpg

This one is quite fitting with the game I think. I would very like it in the ocean :P

That's all I knew of/found. If you know of any more feel free to share! I'm really curious what Klei has to offer with the new island :D 

3 minutes ago, BezKa said:

Oh yeah right ! Soorry for the inconvenience :encouragement: (I actually read the topic and actually did a research ... Problem was between the chair and the computer I guess :dejection:)

8 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

is this just me or is the thumbnail for this for some reasons minespatch?

1694062378_Arielatedge.png.01aabf8e4e6a490814572b944e2801fb.pngI tend to react with my drawings since the Wilson emotes are too small. The forum thread link chooses the images, not me. 588497c65ec72_arielconfusedshrug.png.7e28189e6a68c2fc214fa6e2c0815879.png

3 minutes ago, minespatch said:

1694062378_Arielatedge.png.01aabf8e4e6a490814572b944e2801fb.pngI tend to react with my drawings since the Wilson emotes are too small. The forum thread link chooses the images, not me. 588497c65ec72_arielconfusedshrug.png.7e28189e6a68c2fc214fa6e2c0815879.png

I've always had a theory that mines patch is secretly the god of the forums and the devs bow to her behind the scenes

I mean just look at her 86000+ rating

Joe could never

9 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I've always had a theory that mines patch is secretly the god of the forums and the devs bow to her behind the scenes

I mean just look at her 86000+ rating

Joe could never

I always thought they were getting sponsored by Klei or sent from God or Altar or something and are powered by reactions.

Klei needs to stop rehashing spiders, give us at the very least new sea life that could fit whatever role aqua spiders intend to fill. Source of oceanic monster meat? Okay sure, we have that in the form of cookie cutters who much like spiders come in groups and are territorial (much like a spider and its nest). I hope this update is not filler for the sake of content, and the trek to the new frozen biomes are worth the trouble. Excited regardless 

15 minutes ago, SkyistheGround said:

Snip the pic

As an arachnphob (relieved after the Webber rework that no Webber riding some Spider Queen can come to y base at night), I want to say that I could gladly live with those water spiders :applouse:

I hope however that those spiders will have a different behavior that all those one we know. Maybe a passive mob we could use to lure a new ocean boss ? Or something similar to the jellyfish from SW, that could migrate on water ? Just not some infested area that you have to avoid :|

Hhhoooogggggg... I hate to be that person, though could you maybe spoiler images of genuine spiders?
I like DS spiders cause they're funny and cartoony but the real things give me horrible spasms. Thanks! ^^'

8 hours ago, -Variant said:

Hhhoooogggggg... I hate to be that person, though could you maybe spoiler images of genuine spiders?
I like DS spiders cause they're funny and cartoony but the real things give me horrible spasms. Thanks! ^^'

Done

Archived