Who's the next character to get a refresh?

Which character should get an update next?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Which character should get an update next?

• WX-78
    • Wolfgang
    • Wickerbottom
    • Other

38 minutes ago, MrNaxeros said:

With Webber confirmed I think WX is the best choice, which means it's time to tinker with the big trio.

Honestly, I don't expect much from them. After all, they are all very powerful already.
For WX specificaly I think we could get more specific way of upgrading and maybe more disadvantages centered around water and overheating, aka. the two big enemies of electronics. And that would be it, nothing more.

WX is currently a horrible teamplayer. Benefits?  Just a fighter thanks to his extra speed and stats. Negative?  Consumes rare resources which are largely wasted on death. I'm so tired of noob wx players joining servers to eat all the gears rather than get their own in the ruins. At least ruin rushing proves some level of competence. Wx should be reworked to be less destructive. The gear punishment should scatter his gears across the surface or something. But not outright delete them.

3 hours ago, Ketrai said:

WX is currently a horrible teamplayer. Benefits?  Just a fighter thanks to his extra speed and stats. Negative?  Consumes rare resources which are largely wasted on death. I'm so tired of noob wx players joining servers to eat all the gears rather than get their own in the ruins. At least ruin rushing proves some level of competence. Wx should be reworked to be less destructive. The gear punishment should scatter his gears across the surface or something. But not outright delete them.

Yep WX and Wolfgang share this problem: they don't provide much to the team and consume a lot of resources

I would really like a Maxwell rework. Right now he's just bland; there's nothing he does that other character's can't do. The duelists are never used, so his only perks are faster chopping and mining. Max is a really cool character with an interesting personality and intriguing lore but gameplay-wise he feels almost useless; I think that's quite a shame. Even more so considering how awesome he could be, as a master of the shadows and the former ruler of Constant.  

I want to see maxwell as I enjoy playing him quite a bit.

As for other characters;

WX honestly has lots of potential and I would also enjoy to see him getting a rework. Considering how boring and kinda overpowered he is.

If Wilson got a rework, It would probably be a bunch of minor perks and nothing too significant that will change his gameplay a lot. Like Wes.

I'm not sure if Wolfgang needs a rework anytime soon. He is quite powerful and people enjoy playing him. Although I admit he is very lackluster and his entire character can be summed up as "eat more, do more damage"

Wicker has become a very irrelavent character ever since other character started getting reworks. She once used to be the meta support character, but nowadays she gets outclassed by a lot of other characters like wormwood.

On 6/23/2021 at 10:16 AM, Lennard said:

Wicker has become a very irrelavent character ever since other character started getting reworks. She once used to be the meta support character, but nowadays she gets outclassed by a lot of other characters like wormwood

I disagree, she is still a very powerful character, although I’m all in for new books. But she’s by no means mediocre and still sits among the top tier.

Spoiler

The beefalo changes allow her to basically bypass two of her cons: read safely (if you get sniped by a terrobeak your beef takes the damage, plus you can move away faster) and pick cactii with no con even if no Wormwood gives you the armor. Also her extra knowledge let’s you start beefalo taming much earlier than anyone else since you just need a science machine. With good RNG I started taming on day 2.

The farming book still has 3 important uses:

1) Reproduce seeds: if you get a specific seed you want to mass produce, you don’t need to wait, just plant, water, tend once and read the book. You instantly get the crop, and 1 or 2 seeds. Repeat until you have enough seeds of whatever your farming project is. It even synergizes with wormwood.

2) Find a patch that has 10 (or as close as 10 as possible) Cactii, and read, pick, repeat. You technically gain much more sanity than you lost reading, and you can bundle up cooked cactii super fast at any time.

3) Instant filler: If for whatever reason you lack filler, always have 10 juicy berry bushes somewhere, read your book once or twice and you will instantly flood in filler.

Also on tentacles and STS are now much more dynamic to use if you can move on a beef, and give you a powerful AOE to both deal damage and crowd control. They always did that but on a beefalo it’s just safer and more convenient. Tentacle traps also still work wonders against BQ and DFly.

Birds of the world let’s you: 

- Summon Krampii at will at any point of the game, way before the moonstorm, increasing your chances of getting a sack early.

- Mass collect blue feathers for mass crafting darts, or mass capture canaries for yellow feathers (electric darts) after getting them poisoned in the caves.

- Mass create morsels out of thin air

The silviculture books let’s you mass produce reeds, grass and twigs. It also allows you to quickly move a forest from just planted to the “dead” stage, so you can one hit each tree with an axe and make tree guard summoning much faster (bonus points if the chopping is made by Woodie)

If I were to rank them by need of rework:

1. WX-78: Other than arsonist Willow, WX is the only character choice that gives me anxiety when I see them join the server. I immediately become hyper conscious of any gears I may have in chests, knowing that it's likely they will be gobbled up almost immediately after their arrival at camp. Giving WX a team function would be great (a way to make gears? not sure how that would effect the balance of the game). 

2. Wolfgang: Doesn't offer much in the way of team play besides being a beefcake for boss fights. He can be a bit of a food drain if played inefficiently but I find most people that play Wolfgang tend to know what they are doing.

3. Wilson: Can he just get some science based perk? I don't want to lose his neutrality, but I'd love something that references his mad scientist background

4. Maxwell: Eh, he has his uses, I usually play as him when I need a break from Webber. I'd love something to make his duelists a bit more useful, but I don't think he needs a full massive rework

Are we only getting 1 more rework or just 1 more this year?

2 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Everyone can have success with farming. Wormwood is still strong at it.

certainly a lot harder when you're not wormwood though

i swapped out of wormwood for a bit for webber rework and personally, i hate breaking my back in the field like a peasant 

19 minutes ago, SkyistheGround said:

certainly a lot harder when you're not wormwood though

i swapped out of wormwood for a bit for webber rework and personally, i hate breaking my back in the field like a peasant 

There's still the unfortunate side effect of Wormwood only really getting hunger from his hard work unless you go out of your way.

For that reason I prefer bee hives since they're only a one time cost. You can build 30-40 of them in a year and never have to worry about the soils nutrients, water or stress level. Free food all the time at your finger tips. Late game Wormwood also benefits from poultices and can use those nearby bees for some boss fights (frog rain!). 

Of course it depends on your playstyle, multi vs solo, and most importantly, how you like to have fun.

On 6/23/2021 at 2:53 PM, Alarsin said:

I would really like a Maxwell rework. Right now he's just bland; there's nothing he does that other character's can't do. The duelists are never used, so his only perks are faster chopping and mining. Max is a really cool character with an interesting personality and intriguing lore but gameplay-wise he feels almost useless; I think that's quite a shame. Even more so considering how awesome he could be, as a master of the shadows and the former ruler of Constant.  

He's got one strong point. He can cave in the base without a tam, or a dapper set, or a crown. And just stay down there indefinitely. Which is kinda funny, he's very dapper, not a caveman, but he's incidentally one of the best cavemen.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:28 PM, Dextops said:

really want wx
1.is boring?yes

I don't think you have played enough as WX to claim that. I have found it a joy to play with the current version of the character. Heard some ideas thrown around where different components would upgrade different stats instead of gears upgrading the 3 basic stats together. The downside of rain damage could be deadlier too.

I want Wolfgang to be reworked first. He's so one dimensional and having something added to him to change his playstyle would make him more interesting. Plus I'd love to see a lore reveal in an animated short. We know next to nothing about him. We don't even know if he's German or Russian (do we?).

WX also is in need of this; not going to argue there. Maybe a rework involving the clockworks somehow? Anyway, with all the Wagstaff cameos, it'll probably be WX next up.

1 hour ago, pikamuse said:

WX also is in need of this; not going to argue there. Maybe a rework involving the clockworks somehow? Anyway, with all the Wagstaff cameos, it'll probably be WX next up.

Wx and wolfgang seem to be the perfect candidates for a rework. Their players are constantly memed as the ones who tend to overconsume from bases. Non-players would appreciate the rework.

One thing that's bugged me so much for a while now is how stupid WX's default portrait looks with all of the changes they made to how portraits display in DST

image.png.3f07ac5be00c824a392980e1e5bb8d06.png

That being said I would absolutely love to main WX, they just kind of suck to play as right now
Maybe the refresh could add more onto the "soulless" aspect of his character. Right now soulless means little more than he has rude dialogue and he literally does not yield a soul if Wortox is present

On 6/24/2021 at 8:40 AM, ShadowDuelist said:

I disagree, she is still a very powerful character, although I’m all in for new books. But she’s by no means mediocre and still sits among the top tier.

Hide contents

The beefalo changes allow her to basically bypass two of her cons: read safely (if you get sniped by a terrobeak your beef takes the damage, plus you can move away faster) and pick cactii with no con even if no Wormwood gives you the armor. Also her extra knowledge let’s you start beefalo taming much earlier than anyone else since you just need a science machine. With good RNG I started taming on day 2.

The farming book still has 3 important uses:

1) Reproduce seeds: if you get a specific seed you want to mass produce, you don’t need to wait, just plant, water, tend once and read the book. You instantly get the crop, and 1 or 2 seeds. Repeat until you have enough seeds of whatever your farming project is. It even synergizes with wormwood.

2) Find a patch that has 10 (or as close as 10 as possible) Cactii, and read, pick, repeat. You technically gain much more sanity than you lost reading, and you can bundle up cooked cactii super fast at any time.

3) Instant filler: If for whatever reason you lack filler, always have 10 juicy berry bushes somewhere, read your book once or twice and you will instantly flood in filler.

Also on tentacles and STS are now much more dynamic to use if you can move on a beef, and give you a powerful AOE to both deal damage and crowd control. They always did that but on a beefalo it’s just safer and more convenient. Tentacle traps also still work wonders against BQ and DFly.

Birds of the world let’s you: 

- Summon Krampii at will at any point of the game, way before the moonstorm, increasing your chances of getting a sack early.

- Mass collect blue feathers for mass crafting darts, or mass capture canaries for yellow feathers (electric darts) after getting them poisoned in the caves.

- Mass create morsels out of thin air

The silviculture books let’s you mass produce reeds, grass and twigs. It also allows you to quickly move a forest from just planted to the “dead” stage, so you can one hit each tree with an axe and make tree guard summoning much faster (bonus points if the chopping is made by Woodie)

the top tier of what, exactly
her upsides are extremely niche and mostly help in late game/multiplayer endless servers but most people will only swap to her to read her books then swap back anyway

-every character can produce truckloads of food with pig/goat/honey farms, birds of the world and horticulture only produce low quality fillers that can let you live off stale meatballs at best, this was a thing even before horticulture got nerfed

-there's hardly any reason to craft sleepytime stories, mobs can be pushed inside pens with ice staves and the few things you can use a pan flute for (an occasional dragonfly fight and saving your beefalo from a mob you didn't see coming I guess) are so infrequent you can just use a pan flute directly; you mentioned using sts on a beef but in what situation exactly will that help you, if you're being chased by monkeys or something you can just press w and nothing in this game will be able to catch up you

-tentacle traps have long been outclassed by catapults (if you're a fan of pick and swap) or, if you're more well versed in the subject of autofarms, fire farms (and both of those can't kill you as a bonus); the only farm I can think of where tentacles really shine is dragonfly but there's no reason to farm her unless you're megabasing (like I mentioned earlier) and really want to stockpile as many gems and scales as you can

-darts are pointless, simply not making them and killing stuff with melee is faster, and if you wanna overfarm resources to kill a boss in a cheesy way there's vastly more effective ways to do so

-I will never say no to a krampus sack if a friend wants to give me one in their personal late game servers, but the truth of the matter is that the krampus sack is just a late game luxury and a very overrated item in general; you'll more or less always waste more time trying to get it than you'll actually save by using it instead of a backpack (or piggyback with a beefalo since the speed penalty is nullified), I don't think krampus farming can be considered an upside if from an objective standpoint you'd be better off not using it
also contrary to popular belief, inventory management is indeed a thing that exists in this game

-stockpiling grass and twigs in one sitting is nice, but in a late game world a gekko pen will be producing too much grass for its own good anyway and twigs aren't used for much unless you want a lot of filler for dragonpies or want to craft hundreds of fences

-crafts with reeds in general aren't very useful, the only real reason to grow reeds is to make more books (and most of them are pretty mediocre as I just explained) or make gift wraps in a winter's feast world; jellybeans heal more than honey poultice and every bee queen kill gives you tons of them, night armor breaks too fast to make it more preferable than thule crowns/thule suits/bone armor and drains your sanity (plus you can get a lot of night armor without using reeds from a shadow boat anyway), the floral shirt has too many downsides and it isn't even better than the already great methods to counteract overheating, etc.

This means the only uses of her books that aren't extremely overrated and/or niche that I'd consider relevant are:

-Kickstart a farm with horticulture (I agree this is honestly pretty underrated and I'm sad I rarely see wickers in pubs try this)

-Farm trees with more flexibility using silviculture

and really that's about it lol

I'm very outspoken about how weak poor wicker is in reality because I'm worried klei will end up nerfing her when her rework comes when in reality I think she could really use some better upsides yet I still see people claim she's op; on a personal note the only perk of hers I've ever enjoyed using is the science up, I feel like her books only offer a fake feeling of character depth because they look complex but in reality they're just spells that you use for x thing occasionally without much thought

Archived