Who's the next character to get a refresh?

Which character should get an update next?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Which character should get an update next?

• WX-78
    • Wolfgang
    • Wickerbottom
    • Other

8 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

the top tier of what, exactly
her upsides are extremely niche and mostly help in late game/multiplayer endless servers but most people will only swap to her to read her books then swap back anyway <Snip>

I use most books from the early game and not just in the ways you’ve mentioned. I totally agree that she is not OP and goodness no, she doesn’t need any more nerfs. But she still is very fun and a very powerful character.

I’m saying that with some strategy her books are not as “brain dead” as you claim them to be and can be used from the early game and throughout most of the game…
Actually she is not a very good late game character since by then, you can already set up automatic farms of everything. Her books shine in the early/mid game, and after that you can just swap characters. I won’t go into detail out of every single use because it would be too long, but I’ll clarify a few things:

- Horticulture abridged: kickstarting specific seeds, and in solo worlds, where nobody tends the farms (because I’m lazy to do it) You can still  quickly grow batches of potatoes (to heal your beefalo) or dragon fruit, to cover all your food needs for a season or two. Grow, cook, bundle, bundle the seeds for the next session, move on to other things. All in less than a day of work. Can you get food in other ways? Yes. Is it the best way to get food? Who knows, and who cares, it’s still pretty fast, good healing and nutritive food, and convenient if you have a wicker. I’m not saying everyone should do it, I’m just saying how it works for me. 

In multiplayer there is usually a Warly or a Wormwood trying to get giant crops, so I just assist them in getting the specific seeds they ask for and let them be. You can also grow any patch of around 10 cactii you find, which lets me quickly stockpile cooked cactus on a bundle to be able to restore sanity whenever I need to, or for boss fights. Instead of going around all the cactii every few days I just do it once every couple of years (or I’m the supplier for everyone else before toad or FW, in case it’s a multiplayer game)

- On tentacles and STS: the way I use these two besides as a panflute replacement, is to de-aggro mobs. A beefalo let’s you get enough distance to make a cast, then you can cast tentacles (once) on them. Or just get close to them and sneakily do the same before they aggro. It’s a safe way to deal with large groups of enemies or distract them long enough for you to pick them one by one, without taking damage. To prevent leaving tentacles on random places you can kill any surviving tentacle afterwards (again, a beefalo makes it simpler. And if you used it on enemies that were worth it at least one tentacle should have died and the others must be very weakened. Otherwise it means it wasn’t worth it and you could have just melee)

Tentacle traps are overall horrible for a multiplayer setting as they cause a lot of lag and kill more players than enemies. They are pretty good for playing alone though.

I managed to Kill Bee queen twice before summer in a pub i was alone at with the tentacles, and then cleaned the whole mess to prevent joining players from dying or lag from happening.  I didn’t do much cleaning work anyway, when the tentacles are weak and in low numbers bee queen finishes them up. And all I did was just running around on my beefalo, took nearly no damage, and the whole setup is faster and cheaper than catapults. You need to use a minimalist setup, not the awful square platform I see often. Is this the most efficient way to kill BQ? Obviously not, when you can day 5 make a boat and press F and kill her as Wendy. But as a wicker, playing alone on a pub and while finishing taming a beefalo in the late autumn, it worked for me just fine.

Tentacle traps are also good for krampus farming but yeah, Those are late game. Still in a pub endless I play at, with a tentacle farm setup on the moon island we managed to get 6 sacks in about an hour of farming (We use a setup that even though RNG plays a part, it’s quite efficient given the huge amount of krampii that show up). Of course you can still get your sack during the moonstorm by killing glommer each night. This is more like a way to do that before the moonstorm, and getting sacks for everyone in one go. With a Wortox and a wormwood it’s also a perma supply of living logs. 

Getting a lot of reeds, grass and Twigs is actually good before you set up any form of farm, so it’s more to rush all the early game needs, like a chest of rope. I don’t mega base, but yeah it’s good to help if you will mega base too. You can also rush treeguard summoning if you need them for anything, or nobody is getting living logs. This can be done in the early game too.

About darts: I personally don’t use them. After the krampus farm we usually get a lot of chests of blue feathers, which we can use to get rid of all the hounds teeth that start to stockpile and give them a good use during boss fights. It’s not a main objective to have, but more of a side prize, and a decent way to recycle hounds teeth from the waves. 
I have played with a wicker player that crafted constantly a million electric darts, from the very beginning of the game. He or she summoned them to a lot of traps around scarecrows, picked them up and poisoned them all in like 30 bird cages in the caves. Then as they got poisoned released them, crafted darts and bundled them. He or she used ranged to fight mostly everything, I’m not sure if it’s worth it (probably not) but it was different, and probably fun nevertheless.

Wicker can be a switch character I agree on that, actually I tend to play Maxwell past the early game and just use her to craft books. But her early game is pretty solid, both with the books and the extra knowledge. Perhaps when her rework comes a new perk for her alone (like the Forge’s amping magical powers) would be a interesting new thing for her to have.

The fact that most people around just gives a pretty lame or boring usage does not make her bad, it just means that they don’t know how to make the most of her. 

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

- On tentacles and STS: the way I use these two besides as a panflute replacement, is to de-aggro mobs. A beefalo let’s you get enough distance to make a cast, then you can cast tentacles (once) on them. Or just get close to them and sneakily do the same before they aggro. It’s a safe way to deal with large groups of enemies or distract them long enough for you to pick them one by one, without taking damage. To prevent leaving tentacles on random places you can kill any surviving tentacle afterwards (again, a beefalo makes it simpler. And if you used it on enemies that were worth it at least one tentacle should have died and the others must be very weakened. Otherwise it means it wasn’t worth it and you could have just melee)

I'm really curious what mobs you're using this against, ewecus on a beefalo is just hold, spider queens generally get killed by whatever you're using to farm spiders in the first place (bunnies, catapults, abigail) and can be ignored with no real penalty except losing spiderhat #417 that you most likely wouldn't have used anyway, and it overall seems like a needlessly complex and rather slow way to get rid of ruins clockworks

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

The fact that most people around just gives a pretty lame or boring usage does not make her bad, it just means that they don’t know how to make the most of her. 

in most of the examples you mentioned I could think of half a dozen other ways you could achieve the same results but faster, the hard truth of the matter with so many characters in this game (willow, warly, woodie, maxwell, wicker, wendy, winona, webber, wortox, wurt) is that flashy doesn't equal powerful; you can make a lot of cool strats with hidden uses of character specific items and abilities but in reality there's almost always going to be a faster and simpler way to do the same things that's non-character specific; sadly if you were actually "making the most out of wicker" you wouldn't use her books in most of the ways you described because there's better options

On 6/26/2021 at 3:46 AM, minespatch said:

Wx and wolfgang seem to be the perfect candidates for a rework. Their players are constantly memed as the ones who tend to overconsume from bases. Non-players would appreciate the rework.

Wx yes. Especially new players. But any decent wolf can easily manage hunger to consume less than warly. Meaty stew and potato farming are busted for him. With double damage you can kill pigs in two hits with certain weapons. You just generate silly amounts of food. And with a warly you can rock a 400%ish damage multiplier in total as Wolfgang. 

On 6/26/2021 at 6:12 PM, Guille6785 said:

in most of the examples you mentioned I could think of half a dozen other ways you could achieve the same results but faster, the hard truth of the matter with so many characters in this game (willow, warly, woodie, maxwell, wicker, wendy, winona, webber, wortox, wurt) is that flashy doesn't equal powerful; you can make a lot of cool strats with hidden uses of character specific items and abilities but in reality there's almost always going to be a faster and simpler way to do the same things that's non-character specific; sadly if you were actually "making the most out of wicker" you wouldn't use her books in most of the ways you described because there's better options

not all the players go to the efficient strat but the funny and viable ones. if @ShadowDuelist wants to kill spider queens or hounds by bring with him hentai mangas and it works where is the problem? he mentioned viables strats that might be so fun

if not this game would become a place iceflingomatic simulator

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

not all the players go to the efficient strat but the funny and viable ones. if @ShadowDuelist wants to kill spider queens or hounds by bring with him hentai mangas and it works where is the problem? he mentioned viables strats that might be so fun

if not this game would become a place iceflingomatic simulator

that's completely unrelated to my point that wicker doesn't have many unique perks other characters can't already do

Archived